The Preempt Act

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Barnetto wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: We were all "prepared" for the eventuality of nuclear war. But we weren't psychologically prepared for it. Not many were. Maybe some nuts hiding in fall-out shelters all their lives. And really, the Amnion were considered worse than the Soviets, far worse, provoking a kind of terror that went all the way down to the core of what makes one a human being.
Absolutely, totally agree with that. And SRD did a great job of portraying it.

But the Earth of the Gap Series had the capacity to have technologically done much more to prepare itself defensively to an Amnion ship appearing out of the Gap. And given the fear level, I found it difficult to buy the scenario in which the Earth hadn't done more to prepare itself (militarily) for such an eventuality.

But the pay-off was the ability to write the last book in the series which wouldn't have been possible without that scenario - so all is forgiven.
You agree with me, and then you go on to disagree with me. The fear element over-rode the Earth's military capability, for example, having the technology but being afraid to use it.
I'd also say corruption slows down a civilization's ability to prepare... and we have plenty of that in the GAP. Certain people benefited from the Amnion, and they wouldn't want the advantage to disappear because the Earth decides to defend itself better.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Barnetto wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
You agree with me, and then you go on to disagree with me. The fear element over-rode the Earth's military capability, for example, having the technology but being afraid to use it.
OK - double apologies - I guess I need things spelled out explicitly to understand them!

I completely and utterly agree with the starting premise - but (as you will have guessed!) I disagree on what actions are most likely to have flowed from that premise ie I would have expected the building of more defensive military installations (like Reagan's reaction). This is potentially the whole Earth against one Amnion ship!

And I didn't read anything in the nature of the Earth military society in the Gap Series (as orchestrated especially by Holt Fasner and carried out by Warden, Min etc) that would have lead to some form of psychological freeze when it came to the need for preparations for possible war with the Amnion.

And as far as I can recall, the Ancillary Documentation tried to explain the lack of military defensive preparations by reference to the fact that the Gap Drive had distorted people's perceptions of space. Space was unimaginably large - places were unimagibably far away - and yet the Gap Drive meant (paradoxically) that those distances could be by-passed. It's the jump to the next bit of the argument that I failed to buy into. That the military failed to appreciate that risk and act on it. The populace at large might choose to ignore it - hide their heads in the sand - but not the military.

(Though there may also be a suggestion - can't recall now - that Holst Fasner had simply been unwilling to spend the necessary amounts on defence?)

OK, I've done my best to explain myself - it was just the impression that I had going into the last book.

Please don't tell me I've misunderstood you a third time - it's not good for my self-esteem on a Monday![/quote]

Now you're making me have to research this. I may post later.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: Now you're making me have to research this. I may post later.
Having my deficiencies of recall over a five volume epic pointed out I can live with - that won't affect my self esteem! :)

There was definitely something that Holt Fasner had been penny pinching with - though it may have been the Gap Drones or UMCP listening posts, I think.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Most analyses of the situation showed that Earth's ability to manufacture ships and weapons faster than the Amnion would have led to our ultimate victory, should an all-our war have broken out. This is especially true given the fact that the UMCP did have an effective mutagen--the decision would have been made to allow the cops to have it and use it.

Don't forget though, that Holt was keeping the cops undermanned and underfunded on purpose so that there was a tenuous balance of power that didn't push the Amnion into declaring war first.

The Amnion researches into near-light speed velocities and perfect mutations would have tipped the balance well into their favor. They could have grown small ships containing no crew and used them as the ultimate form of mass driver. Could you imagine a small ship entering an atmosphere at .9c? It would almost knock the planet out of orbit.

Holt didn't really need the Preempt Act; it only made certain things easier. He could have come up with other ways of getting it passed.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Don't forget though, that Holt was keeping the cops undermanned and underfunded on purpose so that there was a tenuous balance of power that didn't push the Amnion into declaring war first.
Holt's ultimate fear insisted he keep the Amnion only a little farther than arm's length. Making contact with them impossible didn't fit with his agenda, and the politics of Earth required the lawmakers play nice with UMC and Holt.

There wasn't a need to build-up for war because of the 'P' in UMCP. That perception, that what was going on in space was limited to skirmishes with pirates, kept the mutation paranoia at bay. The UMCP knew better, but they were merely tools for Holt (and Warden). I'm sure there were factions that wanted more protection around Earth, but Holt controlled 'space' and unless he was for something, it wouldn't happen.

When Calm Horizons popped into Earth's space, no one had expected the Amnion to make the radical decision of holding the Earth ransom for 3 individuals.
ItisWritten
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

ItisWritten wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Don't forget though, that Holt was keeping the cops undermanned and underfunded on purpose so that there was a tenuous balance of power that didn't push the Amnion into declaring war first.
Holt's ultimate fear insisted he keep the Amnion only a little farther than arm's length. Making contact with them impossible didn't fit with his agenda, and the politics of Earth required the lawmakers play nice with UMC and Holt.

There wasn't a need to build-up for war because of the 'P' in UMCP. That perception, that what was going on in space was limited to skirmishes with pirates, kept the mutation paranoia at bay. The UMCP knew better, but they were merely tools for Holt (and Warden). I'm sure there were factions that wanted more protection around Earth, but Holt controlled 'space' and unless he was for something, it wouldn't happen.

When Calm Horizons popped into Earth's space, no one had expected the Amnion to make the radical decision of holding the Earth ransom for 3 individuals.
Thanks all for saving me from researching this. :biggrin:
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Return to “The Gap Series”