The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Last edited by jacob Raver, sinTempter on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:15 am, edited 9 times in total.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

New Avatar Trailer

I have to admit...it's not quite, (sigh), it just doesn't look as stunning as I thought it would...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

I wasn't impressed by the Marine battle armor. Hasn't Cameron seen any anime mecha for inspiration.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

I think he wanted to keep our attention on the natives and the landscape.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Then that's a terrible way of doing it. By creating an interesting opponent rather than a stunty looking toddler mech you add to the drama rather than slowing it down by forcing this blocky robot on the audience's eye. It sorta demeans the power of the sinuous design of the natives and the jungle of Pandora.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:New Avatar Trailer

I have to admit...it's not quite, (sigh), it just doesn't look as stunning as I thought it would...
That's the impression I just had too. I don't really want to watch an entire film that looks like the intro movie for a computer game, and the trailer is giving me a strong impression of that. I'm even less likely to think otherwise now that I've heard they are doing the computer game tie in as well.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

I watched it again knowing that it was CG and that it would look CG, and then I saw how amazing it is...for a CG film. I just thought...it was going to transcend CG into a psuedo-realism-something dreamed of, done so soon.

I'm truly disappointed.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:I watched it again knowing that it was CG and that it would look CG, and then I saw how amazing it is...for a CG film. I just thought...oh, well.
The CG is fantastic in some of the shots for the humans, but not so convincing for the aliens I think. I'm not all that impressed that the aliens look like us either . . . Cameron can do better than that. I'll give it a chance, but I'll probably wait until after it's theatrical release.
Last edited by Montresor on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

They had all this time to get it right and it looks like rubbery CGI from The Phantom Menace!? Seriously, that was my first, gut impression. Totally unreal-looking, but the scenes until they showed the "Avatar" in action were well done. Jesus Christ Cameron! Maybe it'll look better on the big screen. God I hope!

I'm writing a story called Red right now that has cooler crap than this, and it's only take me 3 months, not nearly a decade...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I don't understand where the hype for this came from, to begin with.

Anyway, we saw the trailer last night at Basterds, and... there's just something about blue people with pointy ears.

I immediately knew what it was, but I had to convince everyone I was with that, no, it was NOT a WoW flick.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

For the record, green men (Hulk) or blue cat-people (especially cat-people) are the WORST THING TO MAKE ENTIRELY CGI. WTF. Millions of dollars, Hollywood, and you make green people and blue rubbery CGI. I'm glad to know where creativity is evolving: the shitter.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Well, if the story is good, I can suspend my disbelief for anything. Unless I'm too removed from it by the stupidity in my eyes.
Truth be told, this kinda works in reverse as well. See Legend as an example of how a bad story can be subverted by a good soundtrack and interesting visuals. I'm not saying Legend is a good movie, but it does hold a special place for me.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Damn right. Legend is beautiful. That's all I can say good about it though.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Hey, what's wrong with Legend? I thought it was extremely well done!

It's unique, of course, and not what I'd call a blockbuster... but it was definitely a good flick :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

At first, I was thinking, huh...then I saw the aliens and thought, this looks like the animation they have for that Clone Wars series... then I saw aliens on natural animals fighting the industrial humans and thought, quite loudly, LAME!!!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Rigel wrote:I don't understand where the hype for this came from, to begin with.

I think it came mainly from Ain't Cool News. The critics there couldn't shut up about it. Mostly it lent itself to a glimmer of hope against the backdrop of those overly criticized sci-fi films like Transformers 2 and Terminator 4.

Avatar became a life raft on a cinematic year of let downs.

So far, for me only District 9 has delivered to a certain extent of satisfaction.

With Avatar I kinda feel like I'm watching Disney's all CGI Dinosaur crossed with a Pochontas in space from the current trailer.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The designs are very average. I'm sick of humanoid aliens.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Loremaster wrote:The designs are very average. I'm sick of humanoid aliens.
"But, Loremaster," the apologetic might say, "how can the audience sympathize with the aliens if they can't relate to them?"

To which, if I were you, I'd reply with a big punch in the face! Then I may give these reasons:

1)Aliens should be just that, alien. These are much more endearing(and intriguing) to the populace at large, in my opinion.

2) The strength of the writer should be to get the audience to sympathize with the unfamiliar, not the other way around.

Whew! Just letting off some steam...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

You took the words right out of my mouth ;) :haha:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Umm...do you guys understand the plot?

These are alien/human hybrids that were introduced in the trailer.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music

Return to “Flicks”