VoB - Discussion

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

more insanity points are bad. for every 6 insanity point syou get you can get a disorder.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Earthfriend wrote:I think I'll start with as many sanity points as I can get, please. I get the feeling I'm going to need them...
As I understand it, the player starts with a base sanity of 0 (unless previous experience has earned them insanity points). Sanity points aren't awarded, however in the WFRP rules, drugs/herbal remedies can suppress disorders, if you're lucky. Not sure how much of the WFRP insanity rules Dorian is using however? I liked the morphine system in CoC-DCotE, whereby drug use cured panic/insanity effects temporarily, but led to an addiction and possible problems later on.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Ahh, I see. (said the blind man)

insanity points = bad. Gotcha.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, the thing about getting a disorder was that doing so would automatically reset you to 0 insanity points. I think it would be kind of interesting to start the game off with a disorder. I'm not so interested in starting it off with any points, though.

Probably work it into the backstory, where I finally got that 6th insanity point just recently... picked up the disorder... and now my current employeer / Noble Lord / boyfriend doesn't want me around anymore. I get a shiny set of references, no mention of my new obsession with kitten guts, and a sternly worded suggestion to get out of the Western world before people start talking.

But, reading through the list of disorders... some of those are pretty harsh. These are much more than the old V:tM flaws. Finding one that won't make the character more annoying than interesting will take a bit of juggling.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

goatkiller666 wrote:
But, reading through the list of disorders... some of those are pretty harsh. These are much more than the old V:tM flaws. Finding one that won't make the character more annoying than interesting will take a bit of juggling.
Being a long time veteran GM of WFRP (I got it when I was ten! :) ) I can attest to the fact that all of the sample insanities are rather extreme. The ones in the 2nd edition rules are even nastier than 1st ed. For instance, if I took the rules for Mandrake Man and used them for my PC's own drug problems, I've basically given them a very quick death sentence. I think it's often better for players and GMs to work together to create their own insanities (in and out of the game).

The sanity system from WFRP is good, though the need to gain 6 insanity points always struck me as an arbitrary number.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

haha Now montresor will attest I love flawed characters as much as anyone, but please dont all of you come to me looking to start unhinged. I already have requests for disorders and Insanity points and It would be nice to have at least some normal people on the expedition :P

If anyone has a particular thing they wish to roleplay, something minor like OCD or slightly unhinged, they should contact me and we will discuss it. Theres nothing stopping you from roleplaying it without needing to justify it rules wise. So we can discuss it and come up with whats best for your character.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Montresor wrote: I can attest to the fact that all of the sample insanities are rather extreme. The ones in the 2nd edition rules are even nastier than 1st ed. For instance, if I took the rules for Mandrake Man and used them for my PC's own drug problems, I've basically given them a very quick death sentence. I think it's often better for players and GMs to work together to create their own insanities (in and out of the game).
Yea thats true, it was just an example, Mandrake Man is a bit extreme. Some of the insanities don't involve stat loss at all though, for example "Profane Persecutions", and rely on good roleplaying and the distortion of information from the GM. I think Dorian has some special insanities cooked up...

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Dorian wrote:If anyone has a particular thing they wish to roleplay, something minor like OCD or slightly unhinged, they should contact me and we will discuss it. Theres nothing stopping you from roleplaying it without needing to justify it rules wise. So we can discuss it and come up with whats best for your character.
Agreed. What I was thinking of wouldn't be a full-blown disorder. Just a neurosis(*), at best. Something to add flavah, but not suck all the options out of the character.

* - My use of the word "neurosis" is based on experience hearing it used on TV and movies, and may not be fully accurate (or even correct). My apologies to anyone in the field of meat-ware maintenance. I know I get all twitchy when TV mangles computer stuff, so please feel to educate me on the proper lexacon via PM.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

So ive seriously started putting ideas to paper. Have drawn up a few maps for the game, mainly the valley as it is currently and the valley as it was before the arrival of the eastern empire several hundred years ago.

Have began work on the timeline of the known world as well.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^Choice. Keep us posted. Have taken the liberty of contributing some suitable (or not) images...

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I like them bro, good shit. Im always on the look out for suitably spooky art work, so if you know of any, send it through

Here's one of the maps, still a work in progress, from before the eastern empires invasion, so 100-300 years ago (haven't decided yet) taken from an archive somewhere.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Wow. 8O
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

:)

I can take all the credit. I drew the map in a map editing program for RPG gamers, and then my girlfriend aged it in photoshop. She has this one and the one drawn more recently by the company leading the venture east, and is suitably aging both
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^^Coastal areas. Awesome.

Got heaps of Innsmouth related art, but most of that is 20's themed and includes Deep Ones shambling about everywhere...

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

speaking of innsmouth, if kill for a map like this one for my port town

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Here are two of my favorite lighthouse photos, if you think they could be incorporated:

Image Image

And the story behind them...
[French photographer Jean Guichard] …is best known for his explosive ‘Wave’ photograph of a lighthouse, off the coast of Brittany, France, showing a keeper at the door about to be engulfed by a titanic wave. The photograph is truly one of the most recognizable lighthouse photographs in the world. When first seeing the famous photograph, most people assume that the lighthouse keeper must have been killed. In fact, the keepers had been living in fear of death during the 1989 storm and at one point had taken refuge in the lantern room of the tower. Waves the night before had smashed through the lower windows of the tower, causing the structure to flood, washing away everything in its path including the television, table, chairs, coffee maker and even the refrigerator. The keepers in fact were waiting to be rescued by helicopter. As Jean Guichard’s helicopter approached the tower he was unaware that the keepers were waiting for a rescue helicopter. Guichard was simply there to take photographs of the waves pounding the structure. The keepers heard the sound of the helicopter and naturally assumed it was the rescue helicopter. One of the keepers opened the lower door of the structure and as he looked up at the helicopter and realized that it was not the rescue chopper, he also realized that a giant wave was about to engulf the tower. He immediately turned about and pulled the door closed behind him. Had he not done so at that second, he surely would have been killed. While all this was happening, Jean Guichard was busy taking photographs as fast as he could click the camera, thus capturing on film the most dramatic action shots ever taken at a lighthouse. (text by Timothy Harrison in Lighthouse Depot (May 18, 2001), Wells, Maine)
THOOOTP strikes again...sorry.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Dorian wrote:speaking of innsmouth, if kill for a map like this one for my port town
Yea bro, Escape from Innsmouth is a sweet CoC RPG scenario. Everythings hella detailed and well realised.

Looking forward to more game related news/fluff, the map looks mint.

James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Here's the valley within the last year, since the empire was removed. This map is yet to be aged etc as well.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

These look a lot better than the ones I saw via messenger, Dorian. Much larger and better detail, although I'm sure they're the same files. I think I'll open them via photoshop from now on, instead of clicking on the MSN links when they finish sharing...
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

One could easily become lost in there...
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.

Return to “Valley of Blood”