Fantasy themes and films

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Legend is a bit on the strange side, but I really liked it. My other favorites would be Excalibur (but don't let the kiddies watch it, it has pretty explicit sex and violence) and the Pricess Bride. And LOTR, can't wait for TTT! And since I have a sort of sick sense of humor, I'd have to throw in a vote for Attack of the Killer Tomatos, cause its so awful I laugh until I have to run for my inhaler. :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

hehe LOL!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

We went to see Harry Potter 2 last night and it was really good. And they showed the preview for the Two Towers!!! I am counting the days now until Dec. 18!
Love as thou wilt.

Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I believe I too shall be dragged off to watch Harry Potter 2 at some stage. The promos for TTT look really good.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

We are definitely seeing Harry Potter .. and would not dare to miss it!! my life just wouldnt be worth living if we did .. umm .. miss it :wink: ..

I really enjoyed the first HP movie .. I especially loved Hagred .. he was sooo cool!! and ofcourse Dumbledore was so well-cast.

Wizards are the coolest!!

<wish that I were a wizard ...

And guess what??????????

I secured my Special Extended Edition DVD .. of the Fellowship .. !!! And far out it is fantastic .. I love the scenes Jackson felt compelled to delete .. they explain so much more of the book!! To me they were a delight to see included!!

And .. there's so much more .. it is such a treasure!!!

Though one thing has always disappointed me in the movie more than anything else .. and that was the bier that Boromir was laid upon .. when I read this portion of the book following Boromir's valiant death .. his valiant and most redemptive death succeeding his assault on Frodo .. Aragorn's response to him really moved me ..

The way the bier was laden thus .. [The Two Towers, Ch 1 The Departure of Boromir]
Now they laid Boromir in the middle of the boat that was to bear him away. The grey hood and elven-cloak they folded and placed beneath his head. They combed his long dark hair and arrayed it upon his shoulders. The golden belt of Lorien gleamed about his waist. His helm they set beside him. and across his lap thy laid the cloven horn and the hilts and shards of his sword; beneath his feet they put the swords of his enemies.
to me the preparing of Boromir was so symbolic and profoundly meaningful .. especially the swords of his enemies lain beneath his feet!!..

I loved the symbolism this represented .. it spoke volumes to my heart .. and that this profound moment was simply disregarded by Jackson or his script writers ... who seemed to possess a real desire to represent the book loyally .. the absence of this detail in the movie was really disappointing for me.

A detail simply rectified .. All that would have been required would have cost nothing in screening time .. all that would have been required was when the bier was shot .. it had been laid out as Tolkien described ..

Then I would have been perfectly satisfied .. as I am with the rest of the depiction .. particularly now I have viewed the extended version ..

I will wait for the same version of the Two Towers when it comes out on DVD .. it is a treasure I will cherish forever ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Yes, we too have watched the director's cut of the Fellowship. And it really is wonderful. It has much more the "feel" of the book to it. My sons couldn't understand why that version wasn't shown in the theaters because they both thought it to be so much better than the theatrical version. And to be honest, I wonder the same thing... :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I would gather that the original release went against Jackson's wishes. With the advent of DVD the producers probably deduced that the cut movie, combined with rentals and the DVD version, were tricky ways of making a hell of a lot more money on the whole thing...Just saw my 1st trailer of The Two Towers--looks awesome! Gollum looks SO cool! (incredibly foxy av u have there, Duchess! 8O grrr...)
Last edited by danlo on Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Guest »

My husband picked it out because it looked the most like me, except that my hair is lighter brown. :wink: And I've even signed up for a vacation day to go see the Two Towers! I can't wait! I can't wait! :D
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

sorry, that was me. i forgot to sign in when i got to the watch :oops:
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Actually my av does look alot like me--w/a little more hair! Husband! Boo! Well don't tell my wife what I said above! 8)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ditto duchess!! .. I totally agree with you!! I would have gladly sat through the Extended Version as in the DVD .. at the cinema ..

I really think those responsible for the length of the movie erred in demanding a tighter package! They truly underestimated the following of the books!! All Tolkien fans would have revelled this version on the big screen ... imo .. and personally speaking ofcourse ..

I am reminded of Bohemian Rhapsody [Queen] .. when they first cut the 6+ mins .. they were told it would never air .. if it was reduced to 3-ish mins it would sell .. but they stuck to their guns and it became the widely loved popular classic that it is!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I can't believe I didn't notice this sub-board before ... its my kind of material!

Just glancing back a page ... Princess Amber mentioned The Keep, which I agree is a great film, and the book tops it (as most do).

So you folks reckon the extended FOTR is much better than the cinema version? If so, I'll have to hop over and grab it post haste. I;m a great fan of Jacko, right from Bad Taste through to the Frighteners.

Legend is a great film, especially with that wardrobe ... Tim Curry dresses Mia Sara up in the greatest dress ever put together!!! (!!!!!)

I also love Excalibur, which was mentioned back a little, was just thinking of it yesterday because I was watching another Boorman film, Deliverance, for the first time.

Has anyone ever read the book 'Spares'??? Its about farm-bred clones retained for body parts for the rich folk in case of injury. Very good book! Can't remember author.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Landwaster, I don't kno about "Spares" but a book u might b interested in, along those lines, is The Kiln People by David Brin.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

I haven't been to this board for a while. so imagine my surprise to find I'd had a sex change 8O
Landwaster - have you read any other books by F.Paul Wilson? I think I've read the whole Keep cycle but I think some other books intesect and I'm not sure how that all works out.
There is also Love in the World.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

lotr

Post by Prince of Amber »

By the way, I know I will be in a huge minority but I really don't like TLOTR (any cut) I saw it at the cinema and almost fell asleep, this should really have been my kind of stuff, it is the bag I'm into, it floats my boat, but with Tolkein there is something missing for me. I've had several attempts to read the book, never managed to get beyond the party, and the film just didn't grab me. I think it's just because I don't 'get' Hobbits and I thought the making them look small stuff in the film was really badly done. Having said that the trailer for the Two Towers looks awesome, but then trailers are often very misleading.
There is also Love in the World.
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

My only real disappointment w/FOTR was the TOTAL exclusion of the hobbits meeting w/Tom Bombadil & thier encounter with the dead in the barrows on the way to the Prancing Pony. I thought that was an important part of the story, as that is where they got the hobbits got thier weaponry (from old kings of men). Don't havce the extended DVD, so I don't know if they included it there. I'm not buying any more versions for 4 years - after all movies are out on DVD & they come out with the 'special' extended versions of all!!!

Just watched Excalibur (again) - it is an excellent movie - the pain of Lancelot was beautifully shown as he struggled between his love for his king & for Guinnivere(sp?)

Also just saw Fantastic Voyage last night. I love that movie - more sci-fi than fantasy IMO, but a cool movie nonetheless. When the antibodies eat Donald Pleasance at the end, that really makes me squirm!! 8)
"You're afraid of yourself."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8O Yeah, yeah...And I'm sure those tight fitting body suits on Racky made u squirm 2! Ya Dog!!! :D :twisted:

Princess Amber? Are you calling my friend a Queen?
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Was Raquel Welch in that film....gee, I didn't notice :twisted:

I like the psuedo-strip scene before they first leave the 'ship' - she has to remove her overalls, revealing her diving suit!!! Veeerrryy convienent!

Don't remember the guys having to dis-robe though.....
"You're afraid of yourself."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

spoilers for extended edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earthblood, they still don't have Tom Bombadill or the burial mounds. I also thought that Merry's sword that he uses later on in the ROTK was said to be more effective because of where he had gotten it from. One thing that was a vast improvement was the extension of the Lothlorien sequence, but I was still dissapointed that Sam still didn't get his gift of seeds from the Lady. Gimli got his gift, though. :) The whole thing is just extended with little touches and scenes and sequences that make it much more like the book in tone. :D Prince of Amber, if you didn't like it, it's OK. Different people have different tastes. I love the Hyperion/Endymion books by Dan Simmons, but have never met another person who likes them. :(
Please note, when I realized that I had thrown in spoilers I couldn't figure out how to go back and add the black lines. So I changed the post title. Hope people who don't want spoilers saw that and stayed away![/spoiler]
Last edited by duchess of malfi on Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

:oops: SORRY if I just gave away too many spoilers. I'll try to go back and black out the more spoily parts. Work was particularly brutal this week and I have been having horrible brain farts today. Thank GOD it's my day off! :D
And I can't figure out how to do the black line thing to something already posted. Where is Vain? He's always da man when it comes to this stuff. How do you post-blackline something??
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”