Darkwood--Darkness Rising

Moderator: Seven Words

Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Post by Barak Windblown »

Barak howls with pain, his jaw clenched in determination. He calls forth power and sends it shooting towards the hellhound.

ooC: magic missile
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led rises to his feet, then moves away from the rest of the party to avoid any further area effect spells.

second turn shifted
slowed single action: stand up
five foot step away from the others

[ooc] doing this from my iPhone, so can't easily view the
map. Seven, pick a likely spot for me.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Led gets up and steps to the east, clearing the knot of bodies....

Skyseeker decides to let Cerana have sway, and disengages, taking the risks of opportune attacks....the necromancer misses, but the hellhound doesn't, snapping at her and scoring her well-burnt side. (7 points). Barely on her feet, she continues her staggering run, before flicking away one of her well-used hand-axes....this one managing to strike the necromancer..a curse upon his lips turns to a bubbling gasp, bloody froth surging from his lips from the axe sunk deep between his ribs! (9 points). The HellHound disappears!

Vynarkus unleashes yet another blast upon the much-abused owlbear! (8 points) This blast finally undoes the vile creation, as it slumps into lifelessness once more!

Marrik turns his attention upon the final zombie, easily dispatching it with a Powerful Attack! (11 points)
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak staggers, barely managing to retain his footing. He catches Marrik's eye, nodding once in respect of the Paladin's efforts. Then he turns and waves towards Vynarkus, the action bringing a wince to his weathered features.

"I am a foolish old man," he grunts, "Panicking like that, pheh!"

But he manages a pained smile at Led as he walks over towards Skyseeker, once more drawing forth a glowing potion from within his bag.

"Here, this will help," he says, holding out the vial for the injured Elf to take.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

A sudden flicker, and the bard is suddenly seen, writhing in agony from the burns covering her body, the pain clearly writ across her face. She keeps muttering words to herself over and over, but not words of healing as she can not focus her intent of self-healing until she lets the party know her wishes...

"Tie him up, make him a prisoner. He yet lives. Find out why he awaited us on the road and if he knows anything about the battle ahead," she muttered to herself, over and over.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus, realizing that he cannot exactly do much to help with after-battle recovery, and being the one closest to the horses, goes to get them and bring them to the rest of the party.

As he leaves, he shouts to his companions, "If you're going to interrogate him, wait for me!"
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

"Hold off on potions for now" says Marrik. "Laurel can use her Healing Hymn to enhance her spells, and my own...as well as my healing touch."

However, he first gestures Led to tie up the necromancer, after the paladin has tended to his wounds so he will not expire.

SKyseeker looks at the tracks...."These folk were in pursuit of another 2 groups..one of them took pains to conceal their tracks..the other are the Frusvolk we followed from the road. "
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led takes some time to practice some advanced rope use on the necromancer. His arms are bound behind his back at the elbow and wrist, with his palms clasped together (so his fingers can't do somatic spell components), then each of those points is tied to his torso. Legs are tied at the knees and ankles, with a rope going from the ankles up his back to his wrists, keeping him from standing up fully.

[ooc] - Think Japanese rope bondage. I could find pictures, but they'd be NSFW.

As he's working, he calls out to Skyseeker, "Were the Frusvolk following the other group, or being followed by them? Either way, I imagine that those two groups are what clashing now... thus the lightning."

Led finishes off by taking the Necromancer's cloak, tearing a piece off and stuffing it into the man's mouth. Then he takes the rest, wraps it around his head and ties it off with the remainder of the rope at the man's neck. Finally, he pulls out his dagger and makes a small hole by the half-elf's nose, so he can breathe a little bit.

"I think we should move on to where the battle is... or was, by the time we get there. We can question / inspect this one once that's resolved. I'm inclined to side with the Frusvolk, just on principal, if one such as this was hunting them. But... perhaps he was hunting the other group. So... let us seek more information and then decide."

Seeing Vynarkus arrive with the mounts, Led smiles. "Thank you sir. With these, we can be off quickly. Is there aught of magic in these corpses? If so, I suggest we bring it with and deal with it later. Otherwise, we should mount up and continue."
Geek the mage, first.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus shrugs, then activates Detect Magic.

As he looks around at the corpses, he remarks, "I don't know if we want to interrogate him before or after we try to find the battle site, but if we want to wait, I don't know how to transport him either."
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks at the necromancer in surprise.

"18 arrows..3 different types, 6 of each type...
5 potions...
3 scrolls...
and the armor." He mutters under his breath, separating them out to be more specifically identified.

Then his eyes widen. "And this is a note in Fruspak!"
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

MArrik looks at teh note, adn quickly translates.....

“The echoes of the death-cry of the Great-Shining-Treasure-Monster have ended. The Great-Rainbow-Monster, favored offspring of Darethon and Tar-Anedrel, shall awaken from it’s slumber soon. It’s children caught too near shall be awakening first, and those the sound kept at bay may be returning. The remnant, in the refuge, from whence your blood comes, must die. Go to the Veracinean station, and gain the mystic key from within...the humans knew not what they found ere it was lost. The key shall open the Hidden Way Of Midnight. Once you have the key, you will be given further instructions”
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The paladin looks thoughtful...."Among the Frusvolk....Shining treasure refers to things mined. Iron for instance....the stronger positive term, teh more valuable..this seems ot indicate the most valuable thing one can dig. I'd say diamond, save the Volk value gems little."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Seven Words wrote:"Hold off on potions for now" says Marrik. "Laurel can use her Healing Hymn to enhance her spells, and my own...as well as my healing touch."
Wincing with every movement, the bard slowly clambers on to Garvin.

"I have no heart for singing right now, and my spells could be put to better use than to cure my useless self," she sighs. "Just...lead on and learn what you can from him, when you can," nodding towards the bound necromancer. With that she closed her eyes and leaned against Garvin's neck, taking comfort from her mare as she waited to learn where next the party would lead.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus pauses in his continuing examination of the magic items on the necromancer to look up, and comment to Marrik, "If Shining Treasure refers to mined items, the Great-Shining-Treasure-Monster may refere to a creature with a great deal of treasure. Like a Dragon."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik shakes his head, "No, the monster does not have the treasure, the term treasure describes the monster itself. Myth claims that the good dragons were silver, gold and such...but this isn't gold, but something more valuable still."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Keeping her eyes shut in pain, Laurel silently reviews all legends, myths, and songs she had learned regarding mined metals or dragons and monsters. The only other metal that seemed rarer than gold was platinum...

She has also heard strange tales about creatures of prismatic light. A "Great-Rainbow-Monster," the offspring of Mother Nature and The Blood Hunter, being one of those wondrous creatures, piqued her interest. Could this be one of those wondrous creatures?

Continuing to draw comfort from the solidity of her mare, the stories race through the young bard's head...

Check for any sort of Knowledge which may help, please...
+5 for Collector of Stories where applicable
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

As the bard delved deeper into her ruminations, she starts mumbling quietly to herself, nodding in agreement with Marriks words. "Legends say all good dragons are metallic: brass, copper, bronze, silver, and gold. But this monster was 'the most valuable thing one can dig' and 'more valuable still than gold.' Platinum perhaps? 'The echoes of the death-cry of the Great-Shining-Treasure-Monster have ended. The Great-Rainbow-Monster, favored offspring of Darethon and Tar-Anedrel, shall awaken from it’s slumber soon.'"

Her eyes snap open. "Evil dragons are colors. 'The Great-Rainbow-Monster, favored offspring of Darethon and Tar-Anedrel, shall awaken from it’s slumber soon.' Not prismatic...chromatic."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

As Laurel finishes her musings, a flash briefly blinds everyone...a figure is standing before the party....A tall, slender man, skin of alabaster, clad in but a robe. However, his extraplanar nature is evident primarily in his large, feathered wings.

Marrik mutters, "A reflection of the Light!" and utters a brief prayer to Missaryi.

Skyseeker recognizes the being..."A deva!"

"Yes, I am, a movanic deva to be precise. I have not much time. The greatest of the champions of this world, Bahamut the Platinum Dragon, died long ago, in the cataclysm which blighted Anedrel's Joy. The Corruption-From-Beyond had worked it's powers upon the shell of his hatching, and the fruit of Darethon and Tar-Rozaa's passion was incubated therein..creating Tiamat the Dragon of Many Colors. He allowed her to kill him so that by his sacrifice, the portal to Beyond would be closed, sealing the Corruption away. But the magics of Caranthadii, called the Midnight Soul, anchored the portal. And so, the barrier has been weakened....and now, the Corruption-From-Beyond seeks to return from whence all the good gods banished it before even the elves made their first marks upon rocks. What dragon magics can do, they can undo. Thus, his death-cry was cast as a curse to echo through the ages, keeping all of dragonkind away or slumbering lest another wyrm work to open the portal. But Tiamat has finally found a way to still the echoes. The strictures of the gods forbade any being from contacting mortal denizens of the world until they discerned the truth of this for themselves." He gestures towards Laurel and casts a healing spell upon her. (Heal to full) "By her words am I allowed to tell you these things." He now casts his curative spells upon Led (heal 27 points), and Marrik. "I regret I have no further healing to offer you. If I linger here overlong, the Blood Hunter's minions may well come, and you'd not last long against a ravening yugoloth or a greater tanar'ri. Fare you well, chosen children of destiny"[/b]
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

When Skyseeker refuses his potion, Barak shrugs, then downs the liquid himself, the magic contained within instantly healing his wounds and easing his pain.

He straightens, sighing with relief. He watches with cold eyes as Led secures the Necromancer, then listens silently to the party's discussion, followed by the Deva's speech.

As the angelic being finishes speaking, Barak chuckles softly. "Destiny wishes us to thwart the will of a Dragon? Surely, Cerana's sense of humour is thing to be feared."

ooc:drink CLW potion.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks straight at the Deva throughout its speech. He sighs as it mentions having no further healing or help to give us. Once it is gone, he looks around at the party.

"I would say that we should tell the strongest heroes we could find about this, but I fear we cannot, lest we be thought insane.
"We currently have no chance against the greatest of evil dragons, and, although I don't see how it is possible to ever get that strong, the only thing we can try for now is to become stronger as fast as possible through more adventuring.

"...So, although this is really bad information, I don't see how it changes our current plans, besides imposing a need for haste. I would welcome any other reasonable interpretation of our situation."

He looks around at the party, the smile that was on his face as he examined the magic items not quite gone.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”