Darkwood--Darkness Rising

Moderator: Seven Words

Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Darkwood--Darkness Rising

Post by Seven Words »

After many days on the road, heading north, slowly wending to NorthWest, you are approaching the fortified town of Sten's Ward. Skyseeker comments on something she has seen near the roadway..."These tracks...this footwear is unfamiliar to me. And these scraps of food. Someone clearly camped here, but tried to conceal it. "

Marrik sniffs the foodscraps. "Frusvolk. They rarely come south, though. They claim the warmth softens the soul even as it melts ice, leeching the true warrior's heart from all save those most favored of Valkhan." He looks confused for a minute, before sniffing it again..."Something in this...I can't place it...some spice, or herb..."
Last edited by Seven Words on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

As always when encountering something unusual, Vynarkus uses Detect Magic.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led moves over to look, as well. Committing the new form of tracks to memory, he then kneels down and sniffs the strange odour.

[ooc] - Just picked up the Track feat, if it matters. But do me a Survival check, to see if I can figure it out.
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Laurel stills Garvin's stamping while remaining a horseback with Barak. "Do you detect any evil in the scent, Marrik? We should be wary of strange spices and herbs, after what happened to Sir Pval back in Waymeet..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The paladin shakes his head, "No, this something rare, but very old, traditional..."

Skyseeker sniffs it, and looks thoughtful, "Familiar, indeed...something from home...makes me think of early mornings and late nights..."
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"It's called cheva'keeshee, on the plains. It's supposed to be good for the health. And, it'll help you stay awake longer, as well. I used to use a few leaves of it when I was receiving lessons from my Master. It's fairly common back home, but I'm surprised to see it this far north."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik rolls his eyes and shakes his head. "Of course. Now I recall...the Frusvolk call it bvurach. It only grows near hot springs, they very carefully cultivate the seeds and plantings near them, they believe any spring where it grows is sacred. Only the shamans use it. Its rarity means they only use it on important occasion..extended meditative vigils, or quests. They may give it, or foods made with it, to warriors who quest, as well."
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"These tracks head south, away from the town. Frusvolk who shouldn't even be this far south without a good reason... and they're getting "Hero Quest" food given to them. I wonder what their goal is.'

"Bvurach doesn't last THAT long... whatever their goal is, it should be fairly close to here. And these tracks are only a couple days old. I don't know if this is related to what we're dealing with, but I'm not inclined to believe in coincidences right now. We might want to follow them to see what's going on."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik looks doubtfully at the road to the town, then over at the Frusvolk site. "I mislike delaying our search for Beauregard, yet I cannot fathom after these weeks that a few hours or even days would make a great difference."

Skyseeker asks, "Does anyone know of anything around here that might attract them in the first place?"
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led looks at Marrik. "I'm not saying we delay our search for Beauregard. Just that I think this is somehow connected to it. I don't know how, but there are bigger things in motion now. And I can't imagine how they're connected, but somehow it feels like they are."
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Post by Barak Windblown »

Barak rouses himself from the pain-induced stupor the week's of travel have caused him. Clearly, he has yet to earn the trust of his mount, the horse remaining skittish as a colt. It's bony hide has done little to improve Barak's feelings towards the horse, the older man's body still adjusting to life in the saddle.

"If it will lead to us dismounting sooner rather than later, I agree with Led."
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Seven Words wrote:Skyseeker asks, "Does anyone know of anything around here that might attract them in the first place?"
[ooc]I can't remember enough of the background information to understand what the term "Veracian Waystation" means, so I'll just quote it.
Seven Words' PM wrote:In resposne to Skyseeker's question, there was a man who had come from this area in your village...there was a Veracinean Waystation, and supposedly there was a magic portal under it, but it took secret magic words to open
So...[/ooc]

Vynarkus says something about the maigc portal and the waystation.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker casts her eyes to the heavens. "Another legacy of the time before the Dark. It could be either the entrance to an old mine, for we delved for mithril in the mountains here, or merely a sanctuary, or a vault. The magics of the portal are similar to a Dimension Door/Teleport spell, linking two portals, or that of the item called "portable hole"....depending on if it is a mine entrance or one of the others." She laughs, sardonically, "'Tis enough to give an elf a fair bout of hubris, seems everything is all about us. Save, of course, the fact that none of it seems to be anything good."
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

"Well, clearly this will require investigation," Barak says, swinging awkwardly from his mount's back. He sighs in relief at the feel of the ground beneath his feet, and his horse answers with a derisive snort.

Barak walks over to where the others are gathered around the tracks, rubbing at the small of his back as he moves. He peers at the ground, then casts his eyes about the area. "Can we follow them?" he asks.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Skyseeker wrote:"'Tis enough to give an elf a fair bout of hubris, seems everything is all about us. Save, of course, the fact that none of it seems to be anything good."
Led stares at the elf, open mouthed. "Hub..." He closes his eyes for a moment as his fists clench, then looks back down at the tracks. He mutters under his breath "Shame, morelike."
Barak Windblown wrote:"Can we follow them?" he asks.
With forced enthusiasm, "Absolutely we can. I think I've gotten the hang of following tracks. And, I think Beauregard will forgive us a short delay."
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak grunts in satisfaction. He lifts the reins over his mount's head and leads it to stand near Led. "After you, then," he says. Then a sudden dark thought seems to grip him.

"Wait, surely you can't follow these tracks from horseback, can you?"
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led shakes his head sadly. "No, I'm not yet that good. If I slowed the horse to a standstill, and leaned way over from the saddle, perhaps I could see something. But it would be easier to walk as we do it."
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak sighs, and his smile relaxes and deepens. "Ah well, a pity. Looks like we are walking, then."

Barak's horse snickers, stomping a hoof for emphasis. It seems the beast also approves of the Sorcerer walking for a time.

"I will lead your horse for you while you guide our way, Led." Barak offers.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Excellent. Thank you, my new friend."

Led hands the reins over to Barak, then starts walking away to the South, following the tracks left by the Frusvolk.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker hastens over to Led, a contrite expression upon her face. "I fear you misunderstood me. My jest was in playing to the image most folk have of smugly superior attitude of elves, an understandable image I am ashamed to admit. And also, I did say that naught is good about the sins of my people we are discovering." She lets out a melancholy sigh, "I would not have there be any tension between us. Your people are the veriest essence of a grievous wrong perpetrated upon your ancestors my mine, I admit. But please, " a wounded expression crawling across her features, "hold me not responsible for what i knew nothing of, and do not condone once aware."

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”