Darkwood--Darkness Rising

Moderator: Seven Words

Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led stares blankly, then holds up a hand, palm towards her face. "Instead of discussing your personal guilt in this greater mess, let's follow these tracks. Tracks that might have some bearing on fixing the situation you're worried I blame you for."
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Post by Barak Windblown »

Barak says nothing as he moves to stand at Led's side, the two horses following him the short distance without complaint. He appears calm, his face an open maze of wrinkles and creases.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The tracks are not very difficult to follow. However, as evening draws upon you, the horses commence to grow somewhat skittish. Something about the trail you are following is unnerving them.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led notices the horses' reaction, then glances again at the tracks. His eyes crease with concern, and he walks backwards a short distance, continuing to stare at the ground.

"Another group passed here, after the Frusvolk. Peasant shoes... nothing odd. But they're... it's like they're sprinkling dirt over their tracks" He kneels down, and picks up something small. "This is cloth... badly decayed. It must have fallen off of the main garment." He reaches down again, then brings his hand closer to his face for a closer look. "And, this is..." There's a large flinch, as he flings the object away from him, a look of disgust on his face. "That was somebody's rotten-off toe."

He stands up, then stops himself from wiping his hand off on his thigh. Holding the one hand away from his body for the moment, he walks back to his horse. He tries to untie the saddlebag one-handed, but can't seem to get it. "Barak, would you be so kind as to open my saddlebag, and pull out the waterskin inside? It should have a white string tied around the spout."

"The second group must be zombies. They don't smell like the ghouls we fought a month ago, but they're definitely made of dead rotting bodies and grave dirt."

"And they're following the Frusvolk, though at a good distance, still. The Frusvolk came through here maybe a day ago. These zombie tracks are only a couple hours old." He looks up at the darkening sky, "But I imagine zombies won't stop to make camp. If they go all night, they might be able to catch the Frusvolk by morning."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Almost as if on cue, a flash is barely visible in the distance...and again...and again...several seconds later the rumble of thunder follows on...and on....and on.

/ooc--Barak, Vynarkus, Laurel...not natural lightning, someone casting Lightning Bolt.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

<FLASH>

"One Tar-Anatha,
Two Tar-Anatha,
Three Tar-Anatha,
Four Tar-Anatha,
Five Tar-Anatha,
Six Tar-Anatha,
Seven Tar-Anatha,
Eight Tar-Anatha,
Nine Tar-Anatha."

<BOOM>

"Wow. That storm is pretty close. But this doesn't look like a storm sky. Still, we'd better make camp under cover, to avoid the worst of that."
Geek the mage, first.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks at Led in confusion, then his eyes widen as he realizes that Led does not understand what they are seeing.

"Led, that isn't a storm. That's a spell that creates a bolt of lighting! Apparently the two groups we have been following have met. They're probalby too far away to help, and I don't know if we want to, but if we do decide to help, we have to get going immediately."
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak's face screws up in disgust as he gets out Led's waterskin. "You've fought undead before? Unnatural abominations!" he spits, helping Led pour some water over his hands.

He re-ties the waterskin as Vynarkus speaks. "This means riding again, doesn't it?" he groans. "And just when I thought my last saddle-sore had healed."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Gently rubbing the earring which was inserted into the newly pierced hole in her lobe, the bard sorted through her scrolls, drawing three out and placing them in to her quiver along with her arrows for easy access. She patted her sheath to confirm her dagger was within reach as well, then mounted Garvin and held Hardy's lead rein in a loose grip. Nodding towards Led, she murmured, "Lead on."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Wonderful. I love galloping through forests at night, in order to help a group of strangers who may very well be our enemies."

But, in spite of his sarcasm, Led offers Barak a foothold to mount his horse, then hops on his own and starts off down the path.
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak accepts led's aid gratefully, settling himself as best he can in the saddle. He saws at the reins, wheeling his steed so as to bring up the rear of the company's formation as they head out towards the signs of battle.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The horses grow increasingly restive, clearly you are drawing near the undead. Marrik's horse is the only one unbothered, as a trained warhorse is conditioned to such things. The tracks clearly indicate you are gaining rapidly on them....which is to be expected, most undead are not known for being fleet of foot.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik dismounts, as he has yet to master the art fighting from horseback, before determinedly striding forward.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus dismounts as well, preparing to find a position with cover before battle starts. Before he begins moving, he looks around at the rest of the party.

"Except for you, Led, I don't think any of us know how to fight on a horse, and I'm not sure you would want to. If you do, maybe you could try to use Marrik's horse, as it is trained in fighting.
"I think the rest of us should dismount before we get to the fight, and you probably want to use your earring in advance as well, Laurel.
"... If anyone else has any suggestions on how we should proceed into the fight, I would greatly appreciate them."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Vynarkus wrote:"I think the rest of us should dismount before we get to the fight, and you probably want to use your earring in advance as well, Laurel."
Sliding down from Garvin, Laurel looks around for a copse or glade where the horses could graze out of sight of passersby. Spot Check please Turning her attention towards the Warlock's words, she eventually shakes her head. "I understand how to activate the known power of this earring, but that is all. I do not know how frequently it can be activated, how long it lasts, nor how to disactivate when finished, other than to attack someone.

"My hope is none will be injured, and I won't need to move silently among you casting Cure spells. And I wish to do what damage I may until needed to heal. So my decision is to not yet activate the earring, until its ability is needed. If I am singing, its benefit is moot anyway.

"I have ideas around all this, but any other suggestions are welcome."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led looks a little embarrassed as he says "I can't actually fight from horseback, even if this one would let me. To tell you the truth, when I apprenticed to be a Lorekeeper, it was intended that I avoid fighting."

He dismounts as well, then sidles over to Barak's horse to give him a hand down without being too obvious about it.

"But Laurel... anything against which someone is throwing lighting... repeated lightning, no less... that's the fight you save up for. That's the fight you drink your potions for, and plan on using your unknown magic items during. These aren't the little guys."
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak accepts Led's aid gratefully, murmurring "Thank you, Scribe," in Heshic as he reaches the ground.

He grunts at Led's words to the Bard, his eyes narrowing as if reassessing the seriousness of the fight ahead. "Then I will cast what protective magicks I have, now, upon those who want such," Barak says, readying one of the many tokens hanging from his neck.

ooc: Barak will cast Mage Armour on himself, and on any other member of the party who asks.

--DM edit--Barak would know that the spell gives a +4 armor bonus to AC...anyone who has armor that gives 4 AC or more will not benefit from the spell
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Perhaps I should give your protection a try, if I am going to be moving among combatants," the bard mused. "Even invisible, an enemy's lucky swing or shot could stand to be warded against. Will you cast your magicks upon me, wizened one?

"I will barter in advance with this," said as she leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss upon the sorcerer's forehead. "Cerana's luck shine upon you," she whispered to him, as she drew away.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker looks at the tracks, and points at something...."The tracks of the others obscured this ere now, but look...here are bear tracks as well. The zombies are being marched along in an attempt to have their tracks obscure those of the bear."
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Laurel wrote:"I understand how to activate the known power of this earring, but that is all. I do not know how frequently it can be activated, how long it lasts, nor how to disactivate when finished, other than to attack someone.

"My hope is none will be injured, and I won't need to move silently among you casting Cure spells. And I wish to do what damage I may until needed to heal. So my decision is to not yet activate the earring, until its ability is needed. If I am singing, its benefit is moot anyway.

"I have ideas around all this, but any other suggestions are welcome."
Vynarkus looks at Laurel. then he nods. "Ah, of course! I never told you! I worked out a few of those things. You can activate it an infinate number of times a day, and I believe it is a regualr invisibility spell, cast by the weakest person who can, so it should last three minutes, then wear off automatically. Also, your music will not stop the spell, nor make it immediately obvious where you are, beyond a general direction. [ooc]sound can be used to determine what square someone invisible is in, but it is hard to do so.[/ooc] Also, people not used to fighting invisible creatures should miss you entirely about half the time even if they guess the general area (square) you are in. Finally, should you attack, you will be far more accurate, since they cannot dodge in any way. All in all, even if you attack immediately, it is still useful to turn invisible before entering batttle.
"I don't know if you can deactivate it voluntarily, but it only lasts three minutes, so that is not much of a problem. If you really want to, just try willing it, or take out the earring."

Since the party is now about to enter battle, but is not yet ready to attack, Vynarkus activates Detect Magic, and keeps it going until he launches an attack.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”