Vendetta - a Star Trek:TNG novel

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Vendetta - a Star Trek:TNG novel

Post by matrixman »

Fist and Faith had recommended this book a while back. I finally picked it up over the summer holidays. Written by Peter David back in 1991, Vendetta isn't deep literature, but it does competently depict the drama and thrills of the Trek universe and promote the "franchise." That's a reasonable expectation for a Trek novel. As a bonus, Vendetta is also emotionally affecting at times. It certainly gripped me more than any of the ST:TNG feature films, and it compares well with the series' best episodes.

In this story, Picard and crew once again face the Borg. This time, however, the Borg's usual role as cosmic badass is usurped by none other than the world devourer as first encountered by Commodore Matt Decker in the classic Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine." But now it's Doomsday Machine version 2.0 that confronts Picard's crew: bigger, faster, hungrier and controlled by someone with a huge grudge against the Borg. (Who in the galaxy doesn't?)

That someone is Delcara, lone survivor of an ancient race (the Shgin) that had been wiped out by the Borg. Delcara's all-consuming hatred of the Borg led to her assuming control of the doomsday vessel, itself the product of another race that also had been destroyed by the Borg. This other race, given the working name "the Preservers" by Picard, had built the doomsday machine in secret as a weapon of last resort against the Borg - or so Picard surmises. But the one Matt Decker crossed paths with had been a "mere" prototype: the Preservers had rushed it into service for a "dry run" while they continued work on the much more fearsome and final version. But their entire race came to an end before DM v.2.0 could be launched, and so knowledge of it was lost. Incredibly, Delcara herself only found out about it via some sort of psychic attunement to Picard. (It's a bit contrived.)

This connection between them means that Delcara has somewhat of a soft spot for Picard. He in turn tries to dissuade Delcara from her mission of vengeance, because her doomsday vessel would consume worlds for fuel while on its voyage into Borg space, making it as bad, if not as worse, as the Borg. Meanwhile, the Borg have "woken up" to the threat of the doomsday machine and are intent upon eliminating it, after the DM had single-handedly obliterated a Borg ship early on.

The book's climax is a showdown between the DM and three Borg cubes, with Enterprise and another Federation starship, the Chekhov, somewhere in the middle. It's an exciting battle, featuring enough firepower to please a Star Wars fan. However, Peter David's prose lets me down here. It doesn't capture the epic scale of the things being witnessed, such as the size of the DM, and the enormous energies being tossed around by the Borg and the DM. I don't get a real sense of how huge this battle is, so it loses some impact. I was wishing for someone like Arthur C. Clarke to describe it. Maybe it would have been a less manic action scene in his hands, but Clarke knew how to present massive alien constructs in a way that instilled total awe.

Mr. David does make up for those shortcomings in other areas. Particularly in a weird but interesting side plot involving a Borg soldier whom the Enterprise had recovered from a world attacked by the Borg. The soldier was once Reannon Bonaventure, a free-spirited cargo smuggler. Geordi La Forge's attempt to rehabilitate Reannon, to re-awaken her identity, is the most human part of the book. The most poignant scene happens in the holodeck: Geordi has constructed a hologram of Reannon in the hope that it could spark something in the flesh-and-blood Reannon. Hologram-Reannon tries to provoke a response from Borg-Reannon, but to no avail. Hologram-Reannon then goes into a fit, raging against an "idiot" girl who has allowed herself to fall to such a cruel fate. Before the simulation is ended, she pleads to Geordi to not leave her the way she is. Sure, it might sound corny, but I was moved by this whole scene, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Spoiler concerning the book's ending:
Spoiler
After Delcara is hideously wounded in a crazy free-for-all on board the doomsday vessel involving the Borg and Picard himself, Picard makes a final plea to her to abandon her reckless mission. But she rejects it and sends Picard back to the Enterprise. Then, as a last desperate act, Delcara pushes her vessel to insane warp speeds in an attempt to reach Borg space in mere minutes instead of years. She is trying for Warp 10, but she will never reach it. Warp 10 is apparently the ultimate speed limit in the Trek universe. As Geordi says: "The most you can reach is warp nine-point-nine-nine with an infinite number of nines repeating infinitely. And as you become infinitely closer to warp ten...subjective time slows down." And so, Delcara becomes trapped in a bizarre warp limbo of her own making, and she doesn't even know it's happening to her. For all time, she will forever be striving for warp ten, forever only "a few minutes" away from reaching Borg space.

Also, after she has regained just enough of herself to realize she had been a Borg and had done hideous things as a Borg, Reannon kills herself out of complete self-revulsion.
All in all, this was the best ST: TNG movie I never saw.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wow! I was sure surprised to see the title of this thread! :D

The Picard/Delcara relationship was, imo, just plain stupid. I don't know why he couldn't have done what he needed through some other means.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed the book. I take it off the shelf every so often and reread the battles. :lol: They are very cool!

I also enjoyed the way he tied things together. The Preservers are what they were calling the unknown race who built the asteroid-repelling pyramid in TOS episode The Paradise Syndrome:
McCoy returns to Spock and sees that he still working at his computer, trying to decode the language of the temple. Spock tells McCoy that the symbols are not words, but music. Spock has been working them out on his Vulcan harp. He has discovered that the people who made the obelisks are called The Preservers. They moved humanoid species around throughout the galaxy, placing them in hospitable areas. For McCoy, this answers the question of why there are so many similar species scattered throughout the galaxy. They speculate that the obelisk is an asteroid deflector.
IIRC, Peter David didn't say it was definitely the same race that also made the Doomsday Machines. Just a theory, but a fun one. :D

Thanks for the memories, MM. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

You're welcome, FF!

Yes, the Picard/Delcara "unrequited love" thing had me rolling my eyes at times, but on the whole it didn't bother me unduly.

I only saw that TOS episode once, so I'd forgotten all of it. And where is our asteroid deflector? Did they take it away? Come back with it, you guys!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I read this book a few years back and have it somewhere. I enjoyed it alot. Another one I enjoyed was called "Imzadi'.

www.amazon.com/Imzadi-Star-Trek-Next-Ge ... 0671867296
The book opens with a completely demoralized, elderly Admiral Riker grumpily running Starbase 86, with a nervous lieutenant looking after him. The lieutenant tells him there is a message from Betazed: Luaxana Troi is dying, she wants him to come to Betazed. He gets there, and she doesn't die until she impresses upon him that it's his fault that her daughter, Deanna, is dead. That's okay, Admiral Riker's life has deteriorated because he believes it, too.

Then Data tells him that it may not be true, that in another timeline, Deanna lives. He explains that in this timeline, not only did she live, but she stopped a peace treaty with the Sindareen, a warrior race that is similar to the Ferengi in that they will trade with anyone...but their trade is based on terrorizing worlds and stealing everything they sell.

When Riker hears the story of how Deanna didn't die, he immediately sets out to go back in time and save her from her fate. Data decides to stop him at all costs, in keeping with the Temporal Prime Directive.

Riker goes back in time to prevent Deanna's death, and Data and a team from the future are trying to stop Riker from changing the timeline.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, Soulbiter. Riker I tolerate, but I usually find Troi annoying, so I'm not sure I want to read a story centered around those two. I have nothing against empaths. My annoyance with Troi may reveal more about my feelings about personal privacy than about her.

It's just a tad hilarious that they would have need of a Temporal Prime Directive now...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Temporal Prime Directive...

Just idiotic that they had to start throwing so much time travel around the Trekverse. Enterprise was the worst, of course, and the main reason I've watched so few episodes of the show.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”