Acropolis Map 1.0

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Thanks!

There you go, creases and everything!

I don't know if it's our place to expand on the Autarch's description, but on my map:-

Going along the north coast of the bay, from west to east, you meet

- a walled enclosure with two piers, home of Acropolis' small navy and customs. Buildings include a barracks, officers' quarters, and customs administration building.

-the northside wharf district has private piers and jetties belonging to various nobles and trading companies/individuals. Along the waterfront are some fine restaurants, gentlemen's clubs, high class brothels etc. Behind those are private warehouses.

-the trade district. Offices and housing for trade companies and guilds. A large auctionhouse.

- Between the trade district and the middle class area, there is a large market.

- Middle class area populated by trademen, professionals, various small businesses.

- The Civil District. Courthouse, jail, headquarters of the city watch, various other beaurocratic buildings. Large square in the middle for offical announcements, public floggings executions etc.

- A large walled area overlooking the rest of the city where the minor nobility and rich have private compounds.

- The king's palace, with its own wall. Private wharf for use by royal family.

On the south side of the bay, again from west to east, we have-

-Small shipyard capable of just about any repairs, but only big enough for building small craft such as revenue cutters.

- Southside wharf district. Public piers and moorings for visiting traders or those not rich enough to own a private berth on the northside. Along the watrfront are taverns, brothels etc aimed at relieving your average sailor of his wages. Rough area. Behind these lie many warehouses, generally rented by the square yard. Hired guards.

- Shantytown, where most of Acropolis live. very few permanaent structures and streets/alleys liable to change on a weekly basis as dwellings collapse and are rebuilt on available space. Along the river are ramshackle rotten berths for a few fishing boats.

- Towards the east of Shantytown are more permanent buildings - the gambling halls and brothels etc, as well as well-guarded businesses catering for everyday needs of shantytown's population.

- The Bath District. Tends to get more exclusive further east. Large square in the middle with market stalls, outdoor eateries etc. Also used occasionally as an entertainment venue for travelling circuses etc.

- The Arts District. Galleries etc and a large open-air sporting stadium and a large indoor sporting arena.

- Public parks and gardens, regularly patrolled by city watch to keep free of vagrants/spillover from shantytown.

- Walled enclosure 'the royal park'. Exclusively for use by royal family for hunts picnics etc. Private jetty.

The outskirts
The three villages to the north are generally well-to-do farming districts, supplying better quality produce to the northside city.

On the southside, the easternmost village resembles the northern ones, with more focus on ornamental plants/flowers for the parks and gardens and the royal enclosure. The southeastern village nestles in hills at the edge of the forest and supplies the city with much of its quaried stone and timber.
The third village from the east is located in the forest itself. No recognised function apart from a haven for low level fugitives - a rough and ready, impermanent type of place. The remaining village on the coast primary industry is fishing to help feed the city, with a significant sideline in smuggling. Similar to previous village, has strong links with criminal elements of shantytown.
Last edited by Chime on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I swear, like I said in chatbane, I didn't know who you were until now! :LOLS:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

*bows to the Autarch and then the rest of the pantheon of gathered deities*

I had requested a map be drawn up from two of my enlightened scribes. Both had agreed, but one cautioned his other missions may interfere. This appears to be the case.

However, the other, known simply as Blackhawk, has completed the assignment on time, which I now present to you.

The following is a clickable link to a larger version in another dimension. Once taken there, scroll over the map and click to enlarge. This will take you to the largest size I was able to place in to that dimension.

However, the original is even larger. Should anyone wish that version simply ask, and I will be happy to send it to you via the mystical courier known as email.

*bows*
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

WOW! Awesome!! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I keep wanting to point out that the description placed the brothels and gambling places on the border between two districts, not a district in and of themselves.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah. Well, heh, that's the advantage of being me. Since I can't follow descriptions of things like this, I don't notice those problems. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

And I'm not going to ask for it to be redone.

The Autarch is the judge, and if he is fine with the possibility of the mountain range being inverted, as per the entry none of us have seen from Antaka, perhaps a slightly expanded brothel and gambling house border is acceptable as well.

In any case, whichever version comes the closest to The Autarch's vision of the City wins. If it's not Blackhawk's, at least he tried for me.

...and I'm happy with that. :grinlove:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

With as many gods choosing to start their temples there, probably helps to have it as a whole district by itself. But hey, at least we now know what the city's primary export is. 'Acropolis - come for the whores; stay for the religion.' :mrgreen:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Syl wrote:come for the whores
Pun intended?
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Thank you, Goatkiller
My screen looks better with beer
Spewed all over it
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Everything looks better with beer spewed all over it.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Congratulations.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

*bows*

It is our pleasure to serve, Autarch.
I look forward to seeing for myself and to showing Blackhawk what his efforts on my behalf have earned.
Antaka
Servant of the Land

Post by Antaka »

My thanks Autarch. Thanks also to Dorian who, when I pointed out Avatar's comment about his skills, told me about the program he uses to create maps.
For death begins with life's first breath.
And life begins at touch of death.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

My Thanks also, Im Glad I could contribute.
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Ah, my wonderful cartographer! Please take a well deserved bow!!

Now, if only all of the artisans of the city were as marvelous as you... ;)
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

:ct03: :D closest i could find for a bow in emoticon
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

:clap:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah. Just noticed the maps in the first post. Cool. :D Wow, the City's inhabitants are an orderly bunch, eh? Heh.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”