Acropolis Map 1.0

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Acropolis Map 1.0

Post by [Syl] »

And the winner is...

Antaka. Thank you for providing a very useful map of the city. Your prize is in the mail.

What's that you say? Where's everything else?

Oh, well, I decided that we'll also be using Blackhawk's, as provided by Virelai. That's right, two winners. Virelai, your prize is also in the mail.

The thing is, Blackhawk's work was amazing. In my very limited way, that looks exactly like how I had it in my head (a bit of a lie, actually, since I worked from a general concept and drew my own crude map on paper, and Blackhawk's image looked like that, but actually good - real).

All runners up will receive something for participating as well.
The Autarch wrote:Oh, if it were only that easy. Welcome to the game's first contest. Whoever produces the best graphical representation of the map in my head (be it through photoshop or what have you or just a scan of a good sketch) will receive a little trinket. Bribing Edge or anyone else so inclined is also acceptable.

To the west side of the city lies a great sea. It is generally calm, but storms have been known to dash ships upon the rocky coast, the seasonal rainstorms being the worst of all. The shoreline undulates south by southeast. There is one volcanic island at the northernmost limit which could be reached by boat from shore within a couple hours, but as the island is barren rock, few choose to do so.

An equal distance from the shore as the island, the great mountain range begins, running almost exactly southeast until it veers southwest briefly, then runs southeast again almost as briefly. From there it runs south by southwest until it almost reaches the southernmost limit of the coast. The mountains in the north are tallest. Many are volcanic, and they are generally snowcapped most of the year. The mountains in the south are shorter and covered in dense forest, this forest being nearly impenetrable as it closes the remaining distance to the sea.

From the middle tip of the sideways M of the mountains begins a great river. It runs west by southwest, emptying into a bay on the coast. It also evenly bisects The Acropolis.

The Acropolis itself is formed of several districts. Along the bay, of course, is the Wharf District. Adjoining that on the north side of the river is the trade district, followed by a district of middle class residences, then the civil district. The remaining corner of the Acropolis north of the river is taken up by the upper class residences, where the king and most of the ruling class have their palaces.

Adjoining the wharf district south of the river is pretty much row upon rows of shanties where the lower class of the acropolis eke out their hard lot in life. The border between it and the bath district is indistinct but comprised of many brothels, gambling halls, and other shady businesses. The bath district itself is supposed to be egalitarian. Men, women, rich, poor, meet to bathe, converse, and participate in civic functions. Past the bath district is the Arts District. There are theatres, galleries, a sporting ground, and countless street performers and hawkers. The remaining corner is public parks and gardens.

Bridges link the north and south sides at every district. The ones to the Bath and Arts district are the largest, however.

Descending down the steep hillsides of The Acropolis are seven roads, one to each of the outlying villages. Three to the north side of the river, four to the south.

The land to the north of the river is generally hilly. The three villages sit upon the highest hills closest to the city, though the hills closest to northern side of the range are much larger. Some hillsides have been plowed, so farming is not too difficult. More frequent, however, are groves of trees and cleared pastures for grazing.

To the south of the river are wide, open plains.

The climate is moderate, though the protection of the mountain range and the sea currents account for much of this and lend to a longer than average growing season.
Last edited by [Syl] on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah yes. My legendary mapmaking talent will come in handy now!!! The trinket is mine!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*off to plead my case to Edge* :twisted:
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Finally a time to bust out the ol' DnD crate.
Graph paper, here I come! :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Sounds to me like a good time to borrow Dorian and his girlfriend. The maps they just did for Valley of Blood were awesome.

What's a trinket?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Gotta say, for a cities maps, let's make Dorian do it. :D I can always threaten to lock him out of his game if he doesn't comply...

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Virelai
Ramen

Re: Acropolis Map

Post by Virelai »

Syl wrote:Oh, if it were only that easy. Welcome to the game's first contest. Whoever produces the best graphical representation of the map in my head (be it through photoshop or what have you or just a scan of a good sketch) will receive a little trinket. Bribing Edge or anyone else so inclined is also acceptable.
*bows*

Autarch, sir:

The aforementioned "Edge" has been approached and is considering taking this challenge on. He desires to know if there is a time frame for the completed map, please.

*bows*
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It'd be nice to have one (or several) before Revelations, but the prize will be rewarded with turn 1 results. So I'll say up until Turn 1 Deadline, which will probably be Oct. 31st.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

My sincere thanks...

*bows and retreats to consult with my cartographer*
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

damn I had fun busting out my old DnD map kit!
one of the best I've done! :biggrin:

Last edited by Cryak on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

Ah! You have drawn my city for me! Thank you. Your service to me will not be forgotten.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Good job. Only problem is that I messed up in my directions. Can you invert the mountain range?
-George Steiner
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

better?
From a single Acorn, a mighty Oak
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep, though you may want to bring the northern range in closer to the coast. That range is going to be protecting you from the north winds, so...
-George Steiner
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

I have my map (hand-)drawn, how do I post it? I've got a scanner.....
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Scan it in
If you know how to manipulate the size so it is not huge, do so
Save it as a .gif or .jpg
Upload it to Image Shack or Photo Bucket or one of a slew of hosting sites
Copy the Image tag the hosting site should generate for you
Paste in a reply here in this thread
Submit

*if there is an easier way, I'm all ears*

HTH
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Thank you! Now, if only I can remember how to scan (must be about 3 years..!)
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Scanning didn't work - tried a photo instead!

Have uploaded it to photobucket - but when I try to copy properties and post as an image, it's thumbnail-size. Have tried resizing on photobucket, and resizing on pc then uploading, to no avail. Anybody know how to make a pic bigger?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Don't copy the properties, copy the line of code under the thumbnail that says something like "post to forum." It'll include the image code, as well as the link to the full sized pic.

--A

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”