All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*sigh* Suppose so.

And hey, let's go easy on the 'autarch' stuff in game, eh? I don't think that character has been established. You may notice that the things in your results are not things that have been revealed to you by some mysterious meta-god, but things that you have a likelihood of knowing/experiencing. You can share whatever you want, so long as you relate it convincingly.

<edit to add> Just as in real life, you can't offer quotes from God to support your version of things. You must find other proof, at least in game. Out of game, you can share whatever you want, though you may be sacrificing a little challenge/enjoyment/immersion if you do so.
Last edited by [Syl] on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I did try...
Sorry if I phrased or reiterated what others said towards Virelai incorrectly.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I apologize for the double post, but am assuming if I were to edit the above that most likely the edit would not be seen.

Has a deadline for this month been set yet? I missed it if so, and I am really hoping we can get back on the track of deadline being at the end of the month. Would the 31st be feasible for everyone?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's not a problem, and I'm actually surprised it hasn't been more of an issue before.

One more thing I will say, if a god says something happened and it concerns their domain, the default position should usually be belief. They are the experts on the subject.

I'm going to institute a new mechanic into the game. I'll leave the exact wording up to you, but, for example, "As the goddess of the hunt, I tell you that the hounds of Agathon brought down my sacred deer" would be considered proof that it happened. This doesn't mean that the goddess might not be attempting to deceive in some way (like, not mentioning that the deer had charged into the middle of the pack), so take any such statements with a grain of salt. Outright lying is possible, though it will have an immediate, direct effect on the god's PSR or may even cause the loss of the domain.

Deadline is the 31st, but it's not hard. If you need a couple more days, that's fine.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Outright lying should not get a penalty. The inhabitants don't know what we're saying to each other. And lying might even help some, if the reactions those lied to are what the liar was hoping for, eh? Although any of us might benefit from such things, the easiest example is that Kai's lies might cause one deity to act against another.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm happy with the 31st, w00t!

And thanks for clearing that up regarding us stating what we hear from you being proof. As far as I had realized, Virelai's actions had not interfered nor trespassed on Diana's domain, and to see it interpreted that way really threw me for a loop. Once I reviewed everything I had submitted I saw how it could be viewed that way, but I honestly did not have any intent of what Diana was told at all. I truly figured her people have been overseeing any gestation issues all along, and mine were seeing to the safety and well-being in general of the dancers and those they carried. Coordinating their care never occurred to me either. d'uh, on my part...

Regarding lying...blech.
I have been told by another that in these games I am in no way a deity of deceit. I think if I tried to outright lie it would be seen through immediately.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

If you're staking your domain on it, it certainly should get a penalty. While communication between the gods doesn't necessarily effect mortals, remember that I do not subscribe to the... modern interpretation of divinity that gods only get their power from their worshipers. There is a certain power behind being a god that exists separately from DSP, like how you know if something is happening that involves your domain. Same thing. In a sense, your domain isn't just a toy/tool for you to play with. You are its representatives. As I have been rewarding players who are successfully representing their domains, I feel equally justified in punishing those who do not. There would likely be an exception for a God of Lies or some such, but since we don't have one...

However, I will say that demanding another player swear in such a way is right out. Another god has no claim on another domain, so would not have any right to ask for such a statement.
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Menolly wrote:Regarding lying...blech.
I have been told by another that in these games I am in no way a deity of deceit. I think if I tried to outright lie it would be seen through immediately.
Borderlands?

I gather you were evil there, in a way that most didn't even notice.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:
Menolly wrote:Regarding lying...blech.
Borderlands?

I gather you were evil there, in a way that most didn't even notice.
No, not exactly evil.
Just had a method of surviving most likely not appreciated by others if they had known. But I wasn't deceiving anyone in the game by not mentioning it.
...much.

Those who have read Stephen King's The Little Sisters of Eluria would have an idea what method the Sisters of Solace used to survive. My story posts gave plenty of hints to it, as well. So I wasn't outright hiding it. However, you need to keep in mind Montresor did not allow any supernatural influence in his game, so it wasn't exactly the same though that story is what I based my Order of Sisters upon. But since Montresor hopes to revive Borderlands, and has forbidden the Sisters of Solace to be played as he plans to use them as an NPC group, I probably should not say anymore...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't really follow you, Syl. The God of the Sun could wield the sun with deceipt. Make illusions to mislead another's followers; tell the deities that he saw or did things he didn't; etc etc. He could intend to rule over a world of lying bastards who reflect his evil ways. Why must truth be associated with the sun? Or any domain? Other than Truth.
Last edited by Fist and Faith on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

Kai wrote:Tra la la. How I do love surprises. I hope you all feel the same way.
Hmmm... I wonder...
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Sorry for using the Autarch's name in vain - er, or lack of name, er, uh, ....

Well, you get the picture. heh.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm not saying you can't use your domain to deceive (deception is common. I'm actually talking about being 'false'). I'm saying that you use your domain with authority. If you betray that authority, you betray the domain, even if mortals don't care. If you choose to stake your reputation (small 'r') on some declaration, that choice will have consequences.

The point is, you gods are the authority when it comes to your domains, not some 'autarch' figure. You are not children, and I am not some father. I'm the gamemaster and am only responsible for determining whether or not you live up to that obligation. The autarch title only refers to my style of managing the game.

When I first wrote the rules, I said there will be no Oaths to the Autarch. I am also adding that there are no appeals of any kind. In game, there is no 'autarch said.' So how do you establish credibility? Well, there's the reality of whether people believe you or not, but there should be something more for gods, no? Mytho-historically speaking, I think that's the case, anyway. Gods, generally, are not to be doubted. They're gods. With the exception of deceptive/trickster figures (who simultaneously rely on and betray this very rule to be tricksters... think about it - how can you really fool Zeus or Odin?), if you take away from that, you take away from your godliness.

My job is to approach all of your efforts with a whole-game perspective, keeping in mind not only the unity of the stories, but how this... story would be perceived by those hearing about it generations later, like modern readers of Greek mythology look at it now. The fact is, a god who betrays his domain likely wouldn't be considered a god for long. It has to make sense, and for that to happen, it pretty much has to be impossible for a god to do something like that. By now, I have a pretty good idea of who is playing what kind of character, and I did say in the rules that trying to pull the wool over my eyes would be looked at unfavorably.

The problem is that none of you are really gods (hate to break it to you ;)). You're human, with human motivations and foibles. I can't make you trust each other the way gods (usually) should. In order to make it work like it should, I'm implementing this rule.

In general, gods don't lie. Those that do usually suffer pretty heavily for it. This doesn't mean that gods don't... bend the truth for their own reasons. It doesn't mean gods don't take things the wrong way, present the situation unfaithfully, react to them irrationally, or whatever. Gods may also think another is wrong about something (and as the GM, I have to say that's one of the most amusing things about this game ;)), foolish, or whatever. There's an infinite spectrum to work with here, but the game doesn't work if a god can't say something without relying on a higher authority.

To look at recent events, if Diana says that another god is messing with her bailiwick, there shouldn't be any doubt that there's something to what she says. Doesn't mean it's the way she sees it, or whatever.

Actually, instead of instituting an actual rule, I'm just going to ask that you guys keep this in mind. If you need something resolved for actual game purposes, work it out OOC with each other - either in this thread or PMs. You can ask for my input, but don't be surprised if I decline to comment. Or, you could find some way to work it out in the game. Create something like the River Styx that makes oaths binding. Whatever.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

OK, Pam, that's not bad. :lol: Thanks.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

And here you sweated for nothing, just because I told you via text in the morning, long before you were coming home, that Virelai was going to respond with a tale, but also told you "wait and see" over and over when you pushed to know what I had planned. :hearts:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just wanted to be sure you weren't about to screw things up.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

nah...
I wouldn't have told you I was posting a response if I was messing with you. Would have let you find out that for yourself.

But I figure having the Harpers spreading the tale of Keneb's investment has to help Surya's reputation, if nothing else. ;)

...although I do honestly always have the best and most innocent of intentions. Image
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Syl wrote:
Deadline is the 31st, but it's not hard. If you need a couple more days, that's fine.
Sunday 1st for me, if that's ok!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Is that a fair deal??? What do you offer to me in payment for making me wait another day for results!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”