Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Neera has been busy at work recently. Busier than me even, which is why I got to do most of the unpacking.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I moved the Evensong bit, since it wasn't a tale.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Understood.
I was uncertain if it fit under Tales or Music.
I decided not under Music, as I was uncertain if that thread was considered in-game.

I see you put it as part of the Sunset Sermons, which I wasn't going to do, as in this case, the congregants were not going to leave until after Nyx's bit. The description was more general for all of the rest of the Evensong Office. I accept your placement though.
Sybil
Servant of the Land

Post by Sybil »

Sorry for the long wait. We had a deadline at work. I told Goat my ideas, and he wrote some of them out in the airports. He says he's nearly done with the last part.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sorry it's taking so long to get results out. I've just got a lot going on this semester (4 English classes, new job as literary editor of The Coraddi, little league, and cub scouts). I'll have results out before the end of the weekend, but hopefully much sooner.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:new job as literary editor of The Coraddi
Oh wow!
I remember when you asked for submissions from Watchers at one point and I thought what I saw of The Coraddi then was terrific. I can only imagine how much better it will be with you at the literary helm.

Congrats, Autarch!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Good Lord! I'm not sure I'm expecting the game to continue at all with all that!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

You gotta hand it to Fist to make sure that everything is kept in the perspective of how it applies to him.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Handing it to Fist...
Facinating turn of phrase
Quite out on a limb
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

(I almost went with "angry sun", but I didn't want to push my luck.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm really sorry, but I'm finding that I just don't have time to do this right now. It seems silly, since it only takes a few hours to process and write up turns, but it always ends up on the back burner.

Let's pick back up in mid December. I think my schedule will be a lot more open next semester. I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to do 2.0 or just keep going.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I might have to go with the "angry sun" now!

:lol: Ah well. Life happens, eh? I'm sure I'll want to pick up where we left off, but I'm up for anything.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

This is for fun, Autarch.
Run it when it is fun for you to do so, not stressful.

For once, I would like to stay with the same game after a hiatus. I look forward to seeing how things are going in Irshirel when we return to it. :)
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

For once, I'm with Menolly. Stick with 1.0. Though... it was kind of convenient that the game month tracked with the real-life month... I could tell seasons and whatnot. Now, game winter will be real-life spring.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

How about a contest or two, Autarch? That'll keep us busy while you're busy....
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I seem to remember that the Autarch did challange us to fill in the content of the city. To write more background, and give more character to the place, other than our big uber deity types and their favored pets.

Let's do some of that? Everybody invent one person from each of the following categories:
  • One watchman
    One goverment official
    One soldier
    One merchant
    One homeless / poor person
    One sailor
    One refuge
And, of course, invent your own categories if you prefer. Ignore mine. Add to mine. Invent a whole family instead of just one person. Go wild. Don't make anyone extrordinary. Just people, with stuff they're doing.

And how about the names of places? Name some streets. Have some squares around the place. Name some fountains, and describe what the statury looks like. And Fist, for Surya's sake, describe that freakin' garden you're so proud of. Details. What kinds of flowers are at each place, gravel walkways or stone paths, give it life man.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Autarch,

I was just wondering how things are looking with your schedule and the possibility of resuming Acropolis. I was even hoping that we could aim for a January 9th (Sunday) turn submission (with our previous turn's results back a week or so prior to that).

And as for the rest of you, including myself, can I just say that I'm disappointed by the amount of backstory we've all written during Syl's hiatus. Let's use the time between now and January 9th to get ourselves back into the hype, by inventing nuance and flavor for the world we're going to play in.

Goat
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Heh. I don't do so much back story easily. Z's encyclopedia, such as it is, came several turns into the third game. Acropolis needs to be around a lot longer before I get a good enough grasp of it to actually write it down.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Fool. You're inventing the stuff, you're not grasping anything. There's nothing there to grasp. Not until you write it down and post it.
Sybil
Servant of the Land

Post by Sybil »

If anybody is wondering, Neera is changing her name to Sybil.

It will make sense when she finishes her fight. But Goat has been too busy to write it down.

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”