Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

I'm all for October since we are in October right now.
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Diana wrote:I'm all for October since we are in October right now.
While I am fine either way, I politely disagree, sister.
The Reveals can be for the 10th month but...
I would much rather submit turns for what will be, then recount what has been.
...especially as things have a tendency of not turning out as one expects.

I visualize the following:

Turns submitted the last day of the month.
Game thread activity hinting at what was submitted for the two weeks or so while we await results.
Results come back mid-month.
Game thread activity for two weeks in response to results or relating to current month seasonally in preparation for next submittal.

For these reasons, staying current appeals more to me, than to get results mid-month for a month already past.

*bows*
Last edited by Virelai on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Am I right in thinking that we all already exist in the city? So our reveal isn't introducing ourselves as new gods, but kickstarting our campaign, getting to know our high priest and starting our temples?
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

My approach was not going to assume such, brother.
But I suppose one can play that way if they wish...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, it's really up to you. You could've been around for centuries (though not doing much, obviously) or you just showed up. Entirely up to you, though the results will be the same (no inherent advantage to either).

Speaking of inherent advantages, it has come to my attention that some people have a different idea of what constitutes a reveal. In my opinion (and this game), a reveal is just your way of telling everyone who you are. It isn't really a pregame move, though you can use it to set yourself up a bit.

No gifting - at least not in any way that will have a future impact. For instance, Simjen gave Ferax iron eyes during his revelation, but they didn't really do anything in the game. It just sounded cool. About the only thing special about your high priest is that he can communicate with you and he gets a kind of 'grace' from you. You won't have any other people in your priesthood to start, so...

You can't 'preload' the game. Anything that will have lasting significance, at least in terms of potency or efficacy, other than your high priest and temple is not allowed. You're going to have to work for that. In game.

This isn't to say your prophet can't be unique or special. Otherwise, why would he be your prophet? But if you want your high priest to have some kind of edge other than a general 'grace,' you're going to have to work at it in game. Same for your priesthood or supplicants.

And remember that there is a risk/reward system in place. I recommend disadvantaging yourself rather than trying to make advantages - so long as you think you can compensate for it or work it into your gameplay somehow.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

It should come as no surprise that for a god of Assassins, a public reveal would actually be counter-productive. How much or how little is actually required for this?

Can I do a PM only reveal directly to you, Autarch?
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

If you want, sure. I think it'd be better if you put something down publicly, though.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Aeon's Map entry

Very nice, Aeon.

Surya is correct; it really does help to have a graphic to help visualize the city.
Looking forward to other entries, hopefully including one of my own (via my cartographer) eventually... ;)
Antaka
Servant of the Land

Post by Antaka »

My map entry has been mailed to the Autarch.
For death begins with life's first breath.
And life begins at touch of death.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ahh, very good. As I've posted in the map thread, I've made a slight edition to the description (or large, depending on your point of view). No worries, though. Things can always be accepted as I initially described.
-George Steiner
Antaka
Servant of the Land

Post by Antaka »

I am happy enough with my version thank you.
For death begins with life's first breath.
And life begins at touch of death.
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

So then, for post #5, I would rather we do turns Aesir style than Pantheon. I've had to explain way too many times to people in Pantheon. "Yes, I know we just got Turn 10 results. But we are now going to submit Turn 10 moves." Heh.

Does the City's world have a name?
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

Virelai wrote: Very nice, Aeon.
Why, thank you. :D
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

Syl wrote:If you want, sure. I think it'd be better if you put something down publicly, though.
I await but a thread to put it in.
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

I hear dat!! :D
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

If the Sun's golden voice is too divine for anyone to hear, you can always highlight it. :biggrin:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

As the player of Light in a different game, who used yellow font for her first initial posts, I'll simply say other players wrote me hating it, saying it was hard to read. Hence it stopping after a while.

I think it is perfect for such a deity, thus why I used it myself...
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

Well, I was the first one to tell him this morning that I couldn't read it. Hence, his post....

heheheh
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I couldn't resist making fun of myself like this.
Surya wrote:"Yes, I will spread your Sunshine."
Len - "Steal My Sunshine"

i was lying on the grass on sunday morning of last week
indulging in my self defeats
my mind was thugged, all laced and bugged, all twisted round and beat
uncomfortable three feet deep
now the fuzzy stare from not being there on a confusing morning week
impaired my tribal lunar-speak
and of course you can't become if you only say what you would have done
so i missed a million miles of fun

i was frying on the bench slide in the park across the street
l-a-t-e-r that week
my sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats
an incredible eight foot heap
now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tear in a staring under heat
involved an under usual feat
and i'm not only among but i invite who i want to come
so i missed a million miles of fun

i know it's up for me
if you steal my sunshine
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Let's get our Revelations in by this time next week so we can have a good two weeks before turn submissions are due. Also, if anyone was thinking about playing but didn't register, there's still one slot open. Feel free to message me.

If I'm wrong correct me, but it looks like the consensus is for submitted moves to take place in the month ahead, so moves submitted by Oct. 31st will happen in November. I'll try to have results back at least halfway through.
-George Steiner

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”