Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep. Same thing, pretty much.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I got everything started faster than I planned (I'm sure I'll pay for that later), so if you haven't noticed, registration is open. If everyone who said they're in is still in, please go ahead and register. If not, let me know, because it looks like we're at 12 (the max) right now. If you haven't said you're in, please let me know you want to be in case slots open up.

I'm going to make the deadline for registration midnight on Sunday. You can change (edit) your god's details until that time, so don't be afraid to put a post in the registration thread.

Who knew the red light district would be so popular, eh? :mrgreen:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

A note on domain choice.

Many of you have heard this already, but I strongly encourage you to choose a major domain that is... well, blatantly obvious. Archetypal. I don't think I'll forbid any domain, but the more abstract and esoteric domains will be much easier to pick up as you go along. I'd consider them tools in your kit rather than the essence of your being. You can also gain a reputation for, say, basket weaving, much easier than you could for something like the sun.

Right now, your major domain is like a billboard. You want to shout to the citizens "Hey, sacrifice to me! I'll have an effect on your life." As this is equivalent to around 800 BC, these people are pretty simple. No one's mentioned this one yet, but I'd say even the God of Knowledge would have a tough time starting out.

I very well could be wrong. I'm sure you all will play your characters awesomely, and I wouldn't let my personal doubts influence things (well, as much as I could, what with me being the uber-god and all). I'd just hate for players to find themselves at a disadvantage because I didn't explain things well enough.
-George Steiner
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

Syl, can I try to get some things straight - pulling together a few comments you've made?

Stories in game thread are encouraged, but turn submittals should be short and to the point?

Is role-playing encouraged (and rewarded?), or is the game more about making the right moves to increase sacrifices, temples/priesthood, and reputation? Obviously your moves will have have to be in context of character, I'm asking more about interdiety dialogue and suchlike.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Stories are encouraged in the game thread, but only if they're related to something you actually submit in your turn. Stories for the sake of stories aren't permitted.

Turn submissions should be as short as they can be. If you feel you need to add some detail to get the point across correctly, please do so. Just be sure to provide a summary in that case.

In character role-playing between gods (dialog only, though crude gestures are also allowed ;)) is strongly encouraged. I'd reward it, but I can't think of any way I could do so evenly and fairly. If I see something exceptional, though, I'll reward it by giving the players involved some small trinket or boost (rounding up fractional DSP, perhaps).

Generally, though, I'd say the vast majority involves the actual game play.

One thing to keep in mind is that since the setting is smaller, you'll have much more leeway to work with minutiae. Non-DSP action will be more effective here than it would be in Pantheon or Aesir. The only thing I ask is that you try to avoid creating things out of the blue. Work within your sphere of influence. Use a spark of DSP to get things started if you can, then manipulate it with non-DSP stuff.
Last edited by [Syl] on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

No limitation on non-DRP actions?

Other than non-blessings for another deity of course, since you have already said giving a DRP outright to another deity is not allowed, I am assuming the same applies regarding a non-DRP blessing.

...feel free to correct me if that assumption is totally off base.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The only limitations on DRP action would by my patience and your ability to sell it. No Illiads, please. :mrgreen: Your sphere of influence is going to be small at first, though, so you won't have a whole lot to work with. Contrarily, later on you'll have a lot more things to deal with, so...

I'll come back to the rest later. Gotta go.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:The only limitations on DRP action would by my patience and your ability to sell it. No Illiads, please. :mrgreen: Your sphere of influence is going to be small at first, though, so you won't have a whole lot to work with. Contrarily, later on you'll have a lot more things to deal with, so...
I'm again assuming...

Did you mean the only limitations on non-DRP action would be your patience and our ability to sell it?

...Illiads...
I really can be somewhat succinct if I have to be...
:|

*I think*
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yes, that's what I meant.

I don't think blessings, as we're used to, will have much of an effect. Blessing mortals will have more use, but then it would really depend on the situation. Feel free to use them as you will, but don't expect too much of it. Like DRP loaning, it may very well have some kind of effect on your reputation.

DRP loaning is an option, but only if it's a fractional DRP amount (you may end up having x.2 DRP to spend on a turn, though only whole DRP amounts can be spent - the rest are carried over to your next turn) or the DRP you receive from sacrifices. You cannot loan or gift DRP you receive from reputation or your priesthood. And loaning too much or too frequently will affect your reputation.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thanks Syl.

...hmmm...
you need a new nickname.
I don't think the Overfiend would be appropriate.

...or would it? ;)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hmm. Not a bad idea. Time for a title change, anyway. You may refer to me as Autarch.
Last edited by [Syl] on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:You may refer to me as Autarch.
Now I really need to read The Book of the New Sun cycle...
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

That biography is unauthorized!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ok, just a quick note. Non-submission communication would be best by PM. Either works, but you'll probably receive a response faster by PM. Also, please be sure to have the words Acropolis and your character name in the subject line for all emails.

Also, for those who have registered and those registering in the future, please send me an email with your character name and your KW user name (primary one).
-George Steiner
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Could I please have an example of how a God would go about setting up a Feast Day or Holy Month? This bit in particular i don't quite get:
Autarch wrote:You cannot declare it in the month in which your turn is to take place, and since there are twelve turns a year, I suggest you plan it out a bit
Does that mean that you must declare your intention to create a Feast Day at least one month in advance?
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:Also, for those who have registered and those registering in the future, please send me an email with your character name and your KW user name (primary one).
Done.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep. The idea is that you have to be giving something up. If you reap the reward in the same turn in which you sow... Besides, what good is a holiday without some anticipation?

Let's say you just got your results for month 2. It's now month 3. If you have the DRP to spend on it (right now. no credit!), you may establish your feast day anywhere between the first day of month 4 up to the last day of month 2. I suppose you could also put it in month 3, but the holiday wouldn't be 'ready' for a whole year. At any time before the turn for that month, you may also spend the extra DRP to make that your holy month.

More or less, this is the same as monthly or seasonal patronage in Pantheon.

I do recommend that you in some way recognize your holiday or holy month for your submission on that month. If a god doesn't remember his own holiday, it's not likely his followers will for long.

For the sake of argument, two gods may set their holy days in the same month, but if the other god makes that month holy, your holiday will be moved to another month of your choosing (free of charge).
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Another thing, it's fine to tell me where you're going with what you're giving me in your submission. Anything that keeps the results in line with your intentions.

But... don't give me your master plan (if you have one. by no means is it required) if you can help it. As a GM, I wouldn't want it clouding my judgment, and as an interested observer, I wouldn't want any spoilers. :mrgreen:

I don't think I'm easily surprised or impressed, but if you do so, I'll probably reward it (then again, I could be capricious and smite you for fouling things up for me, but hey...)
-George Steiner
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Surya wrote:Eztli...

Oops. Sorry.

Surya, God of the Sun
:lol:

Oh, the heresy!
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Vadhaka
Giantfriend

Post by Vadhaka »

Montresor wrote:
Surya wrote:Eztli...

Oops. Sorry.

Surya, God of the Sun
:lol:

Oh, the heresy!
How do you think I feel?
Krinn wrote:NIL MORTIFI, SINE LVCRE
No killing without pay