Acropolis 1.0 - Rules, Comments, and Q&A

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Fist and Faith wrote:If something prevents Acropolis from returning, I'd love to play [Demon: the Fallen]. We would know about it long before you start this.
Is there a real chance that Acropolis won't start back up? Or is Fist just being overly cautious?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm just saying it's not likely I'll be playing D:tF, although it sounds interesting. Just making conversation.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Dude! Do not scare me like that. I thought you had inside information or something.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Autarch, any chance we can resume Acropolis this semester? I've heard vague rumblings from the other two Over-Gods that the 2011 will see a renaissance of activity.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I looked at submissions again a couple weeks ago, and with the way I process, it was just too hard to get into the swing of it. So the bad news is that we won't be coming back to Acropolis... not right away, anyway. The good news is that I did think of something else (two somethings, actually) that will be kind of in the Acropolis universe, and eventually combine the old with the new.

So, on Monday I will present Acropolis 2.0. It will be a shorter game with a more concrete end goal, though it will not share the same 1 to 1 game time/real time ratio. Once somebody wins 2.0 (yes, I said that right), we'll move to 3.0, which will be more like 1.0.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I was hoping somebody would complain about the sudden end of our characters. Clearly, I can't.

:lol:

Can't wait to see what's up in Alcazar!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

People know better. *cracks knuckles*

They're not gone, though. You'll have the chance to bring them back eventually.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I don't know better. Nyx was the character I was most interested in playing, right now. Far more nuanced and profound than in the other two games.

That said... if it ain't gonna be fun for the GM, and the GM was doing us all a big favor by running it. I can't fault you for your decision. And I like the idea of being able to get back to Nyx later.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's not really about fun. Partially, there's the problem that the real time to game time synchronization is out, and that was kind of important to me. Another part is that I do this intuitively, and my sense for it has become dulled by the lapse. Mainly, though, it's about managing reliable results. I could (and will) pick Acropolis back up when I have the time for it, but why not do something else in the meantime?
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So... re-reading this post, it's sounding to me (when I didn't pick up on it before) that you don't quite have the bandwidth to get back in to the full blown Acropolis. So, since you had SOME bandwidth, you were willing to run something simpler. But, that didn't get the enthusiastic response you might need to do even it for a few months, until the bandwidth came back.

How 'about Doing the original Acro 1.0, with a two-month cycle instead of a one-month cycle, until the player month has caught up to the character month. We'd finished August when the hiatus started.

So, if we pick up again on March 1st, with a due date of April 1st, results due back before May 1st... that would be September, in-game.

Next turn is picked up on May 1st, due date of June 1st, results back by July 1st... that would be October, in-game.

Next turn is picked up on July 1st, due date is August 1st, results back by September 1st... that would be November, in-game.

Next turn is picked up on September 1st, due date is October 1st, results back by November 1st... that would be December, in-game.

Next turn is picked up on November 1st, due date is December 1st, results back by January 1st... that would be the January turn.

Next turn is picked up on January 1st, due date is February 1st, results back by February 29th... that would be the February turn, and we're back on track. (That also gets you through the whole next year including the holidays. And, it gets us a steady game , with known deadlines, but without overloading your schedule.)

I guess the thing of it all is... I *LOVE* the depth of Pantheon, except that it's so long between turns, and you don't know how long a turn is going to be... it can't keep the interest well. I *LOVE* what I'm doing in Vanir, but... we're so early in the process, we haven't discovered any depth to things... there's no history to draw on, nothing the other players have done that we can act on / against. So it's still kind of dry. That will change over time, but for now... it's what we got. And then there's Acropolis.

Not just as flattery, I'll say that for quite some time, Acropolis has been my favorite deity game. It's been a pain sometimes figuring out what your idea of mysticism is, but it's been really fun exploring that in order to figure it out. I feel like I've finally gotten Nyx to a level of depth and naunce, with enough previous actions to really develop a full character for her. And I would really love to continue playing in that space, even if it's only once every two months.

I can totally handle a really slow turn cycle, if that's what it takes. As long as you tell me it'll be two months between turns, I'll wait my time, and probably text the hell out of Fist in the mean time. And I'll be thankful for that two months. 'Cause I know that except for a couple of days here or there, you were always dead on your deadlines. One can count on that kind of punctuality.

So, if you're just too busy to be doing any Acropolis, that's all good. You got a life, and more power to it.

If you're just busy enough that you couldn't commit to the 1/mo thing... I think we'd all be willing to take half that much from you, if you'd still enjoy doing the work. Just know that there's still an eager audience over here willing to eat up whatever you got. And not just me and Fist.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

yeah what he said!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

thirded...
I would love to return to Virelai, even every two months.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'll try, guys. Spring break is coming up in a couple weeks. I'll see how things look then.
-George Steiner
Antaka
Servant of the Land

Post by Antaka »

Death is ever patient.
For death begins with life's first breath.
And life begins at touch of death.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Death ever patient...
Oy..if I were a patient
That would frighten me!
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Remember Jethro
Hospitals are the place where
People go to die

Oh, and "Thanks Syl." I hope you took my comments as indicative of how great Acropolis is, not as a criticism.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh, that is gorgeous!
Thanks. :)
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Some small light now shines
Upon our golden city
...Although not its sun!
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Think of that as Nyx winking at you.
To seek the breast of darkness and be suckled by the night.

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”