Fourth Ward

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Krazy Kat wrote: OK HIGH LORD TOLKIEN, FIRE AWAY :)
I think you're high on crack. :lol: :P
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I think you're high on crack. :lol: :P
Yeah! I must learn not to think out loud on public forums :roll:

And I'll stick with these :chill: :chill:

Thanks for your comments, Thorhammerhand.
I now have one or two ideas if I decide to attempt a (short, short story) part two.
Hint: Bannor, being such a fibber, seeks out Caerroil Wildwood instead of going straight to Revelstone!
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

The Fourth Ward is....The Spoon of Law]...forged by men wielding the power of Gods....cast in an age when the world was yet young, and man and beast and flower and tree were one with the Land they shared. A tool of mighty puissance indeed, for the Arch of Time was a result of the Spoon... Wielded by the Creator himself, scooping out a place in the cosmos for the Earth to exist within. And occasionally used as a panhandling device outside post offices in a small town near you ![/i]
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

It strikes me as slightly strange that there are communities/towns/branches of magic based around stone and wood, but none around metal. Surely metal can be as 'puissant' as either of them?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

True. I suspect Donaldson wrote it that way because trees and rocks are part of the natural essence of the world, but metal is... well, it is part of the earth too, but not in the same way... it has to be mined and smelted (or whatever).
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Im sure the swords are described as hard wood laminated somehow, I may be getting mixed up with Kelwan in the silverthorne/pug books, thats a world with little metle also
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Blackhawk wrote:Very likely They Traded with the rock delving Cavewights during Bereks Time, I know they had to have found lots of metal digging around in mount thunder. they probably even taught the people of the land to how to Forge/smith it before Foul got into their heads.

not much is mentioned about the smith crafting or any crafthalls whatsoever..but we know they existed because of the Hall of Gifts. not so much craft halls but anundivian Yajna and surupamaerl Masters among other unwritten crafts.

my guess is the Cavewights said look...this is much stronger than stone.."I BREAK YOUR STONE SWORD WITH SMALLER HARDER SWORD" GIVE US SPRINGWINE AND WE SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE SWORD WITH METAL" :D something along that line...

It mentions the warward having metal Breastplates and Hile Troy Had a Yellow metal breastplate with a black bar across it.. just from recollection, I got done with TIEW about a week ago.
This is pretty much right. Remember that in the chapter "Legend of Berek Halfhand" Atiaran recounts that the time of the last monarch of Doriender Corishev was a time when "Cavewights smithed and smelted beautiful metals" which they traded "in open friendship with the people of the Land."
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

jackgiantkiller wrote:Im sure the swords are described as hard wood laminated somehow, I may be getting mixed up with Kelwan in the silverthorne/pug books, thats a world with little metle also
I'm sure your right about the swords, and I don't know anything about the Silverthorn books.
Did you read the little story about Lord Mhoram, and if so, what did think about it? :)
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Good very good but needs expanding far to short 4 u K.K.! more more
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”