The Gap Into Spam

VoB - Old Town Sinestadt

Post by Dorian »

Post stories relating to Old Town here.
Raphaelus the Younger
Woodhelvennin

Post by Raphaelus the Younger »

[Continued from the Warehouse District]

Raphaelus arrived in Old Town before noon, the bustling streets a far cry from the nighttime traffic of miscreants. Merchants, making a roaring trade from a steady stream of customers filling the streets, shouted the superiority of their wares above the din. Without directions and slowed by the crowds, Raphaelus had more difficulty finding the bookstore than he had the previous evening. The streets looked somehow different in the light of day and a dust hung in the air, obviously thrown up by the throng of people.

Eventually however, Raphaelus located the store he was looking for. Walking inside, he found it largely deserted, though a younger scholar was poring over some documents in a lit corner, obviously deep in study. Unable to see the storekeeper, Raphaelus rang the bell on his desk and waited.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

The man appeared from behind a curtain. He wiped his ink stained hands on a apron he wore, looking along his nose at Raphaelus. Tired and drawn it took him a moment to recognise the older man.

"Ah yes, the Cleric from last night. How may I help you at this far more civil hour?" It is obvious from his drawn look and the clothes he wears that he has not retired to sleep since last meeting the scholar.
Raphaelus the Younger
Woodhelvennin

Dorian wrote:"Ah yes, the Cleric from last night. How may I help you at this far more civil hour?" It is obvious from his drawn look and the clothes he wears that he has not retired to sleep since last meeting the scholar.
"Scholar." Rapahaelus corrected him with a forced smile. He wondered briefly if something had been lost in translation, but wanted no more talk of the church at this point. He covered his mouth and coughed, the acrid taste of smoke still in his mouth.

"I have lost several of my quills, and require more parchment. These you can help me with, I'm sure. I would also request several hours to catalog the works you hold here." Raphaelus made an expansive gesture around the store "If you could recommend any other repositories of this nature in the city, I would appreciate it." Raphaelus placed the coin for the writing materials on the counter, with a knowing glance and a generous tip to the storekeep.

[Raphaelus has asked to purchase two fine quills and five pages of parchment for notes (of average quality). The bribe is half the price of the items on top of the cost. After the price of a drink at the bar the previous night, and this expenditure, how much money does Raphaelus have? Sounds like a math question...]
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

(He has 14 gc 4s and 12p. You passed some Int tests quite convincingly too. Forgive me for taking some liberties with Raphaelus actions, just trying to move the story along some)

After purchasing the goods, Raphaelus begins his perusal of the stores books. The collection is rather eclectic, a mix of rough local works and the more ordinary mass produced Nissian works. Browsing the books, it becomes apparent to Raphaelus that the east is not under the same vice like grip of the Solarian church as his homelands are, with many of the books openly studying the religion and its origins from a more unbiased stand point than the old scholar is used to. Despite this, finding anything on the occult is next to impossible.

After sometime, Raphaelus really begins to get an idea of the land and its history. Reading through half rotted tomes on the history of Svalsing, it becomes clear that the nation was only conquered several centuries ago, and until then had its own selection of deities and religious custom. This, combined with the Nissians habit of separation of church and state seems to make the lack of any form of literature straying from the Solarian faith perhaps more perplexing. Going through the stores books again, the old scholar even notices that there is considerable gaps and space in the shelves dedicated to holding books concerned with faith or the more gritty histories of local custom. The tell tale sign of recently removed wares.

Approaching the shop keep again, disturbing him from his works behind his curtain, Rephalus inquired as to where such things could be found. This raises a quizzing eye brow from the shop keep.

"Ah you may like to try the library of Svalsings Collegate, east towards the gates, amongst he noble district. Perhaps they may have more of what you wish for."
Raphaelus the Younger
Woodhelvennin

Raphaelus nodded. He suspected the shop-keep of removing several of the more inflammatory tomes from the shelves, noting that even the tattered copy of Torquemada was missing. No matter. He would be sure to call again. Raphaelus paused to ask the man about reputable accommodation in Sinestadt, before making his way through the bustling streets to the noble district and the Svalsing Collegiate.

[Continued in the Noble District]

Return to “Valley of Blood”