First Chronicles - A self contained story ?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

mug2k
Servant of the Land

First Chronicles - A self contained story ?

Post by mug2k »

After I have finished the First Chronicles, is it necessary to read the Second and Last Chronicles ?. What I'm saying does the First Chronicles have a satisfying conclusion or is it open ended ?.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Yes, you can easily stop after 'The Power That Preserves'. The Second & Final Chronicles are additions to SRD's original story.

However, the Second Chrons are excellent. Keep reading!
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can unequivocally say that the First Chronicles is self-contained and satisfying. Because there was no intention of there being a Second Chronicles at the time it was written.

However, the Second Chronicles are a true case where the second go at it surpasses the original. Anyone should want to read them.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Jinx! :)
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree you could stop with the first chronicles, I sure couldnt, but you might be able to pull it off, depends how much will power you have. so far my will power has let me wait this long for FR ... its drawing near though... im on the Power that Preserves right now...
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

It concludes, but I never thought it was a particularly satisfying conclusion. The Second Chronicles has a satisfying conclusion, and I would have been happy with it ending there, despite a thing or two that were not wrapped up with a nice bow. I'm really hoping the final Chronicles has an especially satisfying conclusion where everyone dies, the Land winks out of existence, and that gold in the market skyrockets (right after I buy some).
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

The first Chronicles is almost childlike compared to the complexities/depth of the 2nd.

And I LOVE the 1st Chronicles.

But remember it's going to be a few more years before SRD finishes the 3rd so take your time.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Yes, you can stop after TPTP but what would be the point?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

The second chronicles are better than the first, even though I never loved Linden that much. I have to admit that she is necessary if I give it much thought. But in the first chronicles you meet a Giant. In the second, you meet lots of them, and they are my favorite trilogy in the series because of that. It is sooooo worth it. It's not necessary to read the second chronicles to get a feeling of closure from the first chronicles, but there is so much more depth and wonder and awe in the second that I can't see how you would not want to read them. A rare case where the second time around is better than the first, just my opinion.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

High Lord Tolkien wrote: But remember it's going to be a few more years before SRD finishes the 3rd so take your time.
Four more years, round abouts. So take heed of High Lord Tolkien's counsel, so that thou mayest avoid the despair that I've had to go through between novels :evil:

Then again, speculating here is loads of fun ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Re: First Chronicles - A self contained story ?

Post by peter »

mug2k wrote:After I have finished the First Chronicles, is it necessary to read the Second and Last Chronicles ?. What I'm saying does the First Chronicles have a satisfying conclusion or is it open ended ?.
I do not really understand the nature of the question mug2k. Indubitably (as you will have gathered) the First Chron's do have a 'satisfying conclusion' as already mentioned, they were written as a stand alone story in the first place. But (also noted) most people who read the 1st to conclusion are gagging to progress to the second (and 3rd if we ever get them) ASAP because the first have brought them so much reading pleasure; who after all, is going to trawl through 3 books the size of the 1st chron's if they ain't 'doing it for them'. So what exactly is your real worry here? If you are stuggling with the 1st trilogy no problem - put 'em down; It isn't a crime - we all like different things (my advice here would have to be to wait untill you are well into 'The Illearth War' before you made this decission - the series is for many people a slow builder.) If you do like them, but say are taking them on holiday and can't take all the books with you - no problem, the first three will wind up just fine and leave you itching to get to the next three when you are able. Most of all mug2k, I really hope that the books do work for you because if they do - then boy o boy are you in for a ride! I wish I could read them for the 1st time again.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”