Rogue Trader - New Game

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ezra wrote:it's a generic user name for me. they're my initials.
Ah. I see Malazan in everything. Sorry to interrupt. Heh.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Always welcome, Fist.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:Lt. Commander Zarkov
First Officer & Gunnery Command
Have we given out ranks yet? I'd kind of assumed that the Seneschal was the second in command, though... it could as easily be said that I'm like the chief quartermaster or Sargent Major, instead of a command officer. The sample adventure on Fantasy Flight's site has the Arch-Militant being the second in command... and it could as easily be that that's really the commander of the marines or RT's personal bodyguard.

FYI, I'm also the Librarian. Doesn't give off the "Second in Command" kind of vibe, huh?
Last edited by Andrea Chan-Gauthier on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: Have we given out ranks yet? I'd kind of assumed that the Seneschal was the second in command, though... it could as easily be said that I'm like the chief quartermaster or Sargent Major, instead of a command officer. The sample adventure on Fantasy Flight's site has the Arch-Militant being the second in command... and it could as easily be that that's really the commander of the marines or RT's personal bodyguard.

FYI, I'm also the Librarian. Doesn't give off the "Second in Command" kind of vibe, huh?
The Seneschal is a different kind of second-in-command. Lt. Cmdr Zarkov is the ship's first officer/first mate/XO (whichever you want to call it). You would be in a more informal position regarding the Dynasty's wealth and financial affairs (something like a Prime Minister or a Factor). This doesn't mean you'd get to issue bridge commands like Zarkov (at least not formally). Your rank would not be military. Indeed, your rank is Seneschal (call it chief Seneschal if you like), which has no naval authority, but is far more prestigious. Head Librarian in the 40k setting would actually be a coveted position...
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Before becoming a Rogue Trader, Garrius was a Lt Commander, interestingly enough.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Yeah, that came out way bitchier than I intended. Mostly I just had a congative dissonance moment, and stopped to ask about it.

But, just so's we're all clear, can we get a chain of command document at some point? I'll want to know IC if I'm obligated to obey anybody other than the Rogue Trader himself. Just so's I don't get myself whipped for insubordination accidentally.

Side note, I was trying to find a sexy librarian picture online that would fit with the Warhammer 40k graphic style. I found one that WAS a 40k Librarian, but it was a guy in full carapace armor, so... not very helpful.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Yeah Space Marine Librarians are Psychers. Warrior guys who blast shit to pieces with their mind powers.

The way the chain of command goes, if its to do with the ship Zarkov is your superior. If its to do with the family and over all mission you are. Think of it as Zarkov is tactically in charge while you have more pull strategically.

For example if we were in combat and he ordered you to man this control you would be obliged too. But if we were in a meeting discussing our next move in the broad scheme of things, your word would have as much pull, if not more, than his.

but all you need to know is do what I tell ya when I tell ya. Cause I is RT, so I is boss :P
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Heh. The challenge is on me to make sure that you only ever tell me to do things I want to do anyway.
Dorian wrote:Yeah Space Marine Librarians are Psychers. Warrior guys who blast shit to pieces with their mind powers.
Tenacious D, in their song 'Wonderboy' wrote:How 'bout the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with MIND BULLETS?
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

^Zarkov also has little real interest in the dealings of the dynasty, so far as they don't pertain to the ship, the tactical situation or his own strong religious beliefs. He's just doing his job as hired by the dynasty, which was for his ship command skills. As Montresor said, he's the head tactical officer and First mate.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: Side note, I was trying to find a sexy librarian picture online that would fit with the Warhammer 40k graphic style. I found one that WAS a 40k Librarian, but it was a guy in full carapace armor, so... not very helpful.
Not all characters in the 40k universe need to be genetically enhanced, hulking warriors in tactical dreadnought armour. Unfortunately you'll probably struggle to find pics that don't fit this stereotype haha. Female assassin pics might look right, but tend to come with sniper rifles.

Personally I like your current pic, it certainly suits the role of the character (with a hint of lithe assassin to it). If all else fails, a little bit of B/W, shading and lens flare effects can get the grainy look of the codex pics.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Zarkov on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

your best bet at finding Human Females in 40k art is to search Adepta Sororitas

most will be wrapped up in heavy armour however
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

^ And clearly wearing the markings of the Sisters of Battle. Unless you can find pics of the half naked ones GW released awhile ago haha. Although i think those berserkers even had fleur-de-lis tattoos...
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

A bit of photo shop trickery can hide logos easy enough. My Avatar had a big Inquisition badge on him originally
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Nod. I dug this pic out of my DeviantArt folder, when I noticed that there were two pics of the same person (the arm tattoos were the same). Going back to DeviantArt, I found like 50+ different images of the same person, by the same artist. Some of it is a bit to mecha-anime to suit the story, but some of it really fits well.

Think I'm gonna have to actually make a donation to that guy, if I'm going to use his art as the visual basis for my character.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Ezra wrote:it's a generic user name for me. they're my initials.
Ah. I see Malazan in everything. Sorry to interrupt. Heh.
don't sweat it. i got it with my current username, too... which is one of my middle initials, but people have confused with the comic book character.

just a heads up, i've changed my profile name to match my character name.
Ezra
Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

2-I-C of the ship, definitely not for me. Command of Marine detachment (Marine in the figurative, not necessarily literal Space Marine sense) works for me.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:2-I-C of the ship, definitely not for me. Command of Marine detachment (Marine in the figurative, not necessarily literal Space Marine sense) works for me.
Would Chief of Security be good?

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Sounds great.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Consider it done. You can give yourself the title of Chief of Security. If you prefer, you can use the infinitely better sounding Master-at-Arms.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Out of curiosity, is this intended to be a single-threaded game, or multi-threaded? Where multi-threaded is like Lore's Vampire game, and we all get to go off by ourselves, independently of each other; and single-threaded is like Seven's D&D game, more exactly mimicking a table-top environment.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:Out of curiosity, is this intended to be a single-threaded game, or multi-threaded? Where multi-threaded is like Lore's Vampire game, and we all get to go off by ourselves, independently of each other; and single-threaded is like Seven's D&D game, more exactly mimicking a table-top environment.
Multi-threaded. However, at numerous junctures, I will have to run group adventures in a single-thread.

I don't really like the single-thread format of forum RPGs, myself, and since playing on Mesembria, I have always preferred the sandbox style where players are given the chance to do as they please.

Wait until the details on the Invcitus Aeterna are all posted up (Sunday night, I hope), which will give an idea of the basic locations one could visit.

Players can also have their own encounter/adventure threads, covering a number of locations. I don't see much point in people posting something every time they pass through one place to the next, so I prefer for players to keep posts thematic, or encounter/adventure centric. I'll add some 'house rules' on posting later (very informal).

However, I will say now that players can anticipate location threads being added as the Koronus Expanse is explored. For example - the Invictus is taken to the largely unexplored Herald System, where it encounters numerous lifeless planets, moons, and one large Hive-World. There is also a space station above the Hive-World. Each one of the planets and moons could become a location thread, depending on what the players wish to investigate. Larger planets - especially populated ones - would likely have numerous locations to investigate, from places as broad as a mountain range, a city, to as small as a swamp, a research outpost etc.

I chose Rogue Trader because this 'making places up on the fly' method both appeals to my own love of the history of exploration, as well as the fact that it is quick and easy to run.

Return to “Rogue Trader”