Rogue Trader - Registration and Discussion Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

So... taking a step back for a moment... I must say that I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to Borderlands, whenever you're ready to kick that off. If the depth and attention you've been paying to RT is what we get when you're too busy to properly devote yourself to running a game, Borderlands is going to be worth playing.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:So... taking a step back for a moment... I must say that I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to Borderlands, whenever you're ready to kick that off. If the depth and attention you've been paying to RT is what we get when you're too busy to properly devote yourself to running a game, Borderlands is going to be worth playing.
:thumbsup:

Me too,
As I said, even if it is a couple of years in the making, it will definitely be worth the wait.

...even if I do just lurk.

You really should take a look at Mes, just to get a feel for what Montresor and Dorian (I am unsure if anyone else here took part there) are truly capable of. The story thread titled the L-rd of Lecco, for one, is a terrific read...
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Except its obvious neither of us had a spell checker in our browser back then.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Well...
...other than that, it's a terrific read. ;)
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote:Except its obvious neither of us had a spell checker in our browser back then.
Haha! So true. I think we were pumping out some of those entries five a night. Proof-reading just didn't seem to be part of it. But that's still one of the best adventures I think I have ever run. And seventeen pages with only one fight!
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The first part of the Invictus Aeterna's chronology is up. I have decided to present this in parts so as to not present too much to read. All members of the ship's crew would know the basics of this story, even though it is millenia old. Further details may or may not be possible, following research.

Anyway, enjoy!
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^Staggering. Rivals the genuine fluff for sure. This is only going to get better.

I'm sure you haven't the slightest urge to do so, but you should consider entering some of this most excellent material into this competition:

www.darkreign40k.com/newsflash/rogue-tr ... ition.html

...Although the first prize is merely another copy of a book you already own :wink:.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

which you could then sell to me at mates rates...
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

So... just for my own edification, what year is it NOW, in game?
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Epoch Koronus lists current dateline as 816.M41, or 40,816CE. This makes the Invictus over 4,000 years old, as she was launched 381.M37 (or 36,381CE).

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Stone Magnet wrote:^Staggering. Rivals the genuine fluff for sure. This is only going to get better.

I'm sure you haven't the slightest urge to do so, but you should consider entering some of this most excellent material into this competition:

www.darkreign40k.com/newsflash/rogue-tr ... ition.html

I read that comp a few weeks back and briefly thought about it. However, I just woke up this morning with a very tardy reply from a company giving me the chance to do some freelance historical writing for them, so I'm afraid between thesis, RT, writing an article, and working on my novel I'd be made to accept more challenges.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:So... just for my own edification, what year is it NOW, in game?
Yeah, as Stonemagnet said, I am going with the Epoch Koronus date of 816M.41. So the Invictus is an old ship indeed, although many larger vessels trace their construction back to pre-Imperium days (before M.30). For those 40k buffs, please note that this date means there are no Necron which have arisen to trouble the galaxy yet.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Thank god for that. Its also only 60 years since the tau were crushed in the Damocles Gulf Crusade so they will be keeping to themselves too, it also is the same year that Grog influcted his waagh, the war of Dakka upon the Tau empire. Not that it matters if we aren't in their neck of the woods.

Where abouts in the galaxy are we anyway? do you have a map?
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote: Where abouts in the galaxy are we anyway? do you have a map?
There's a great map of the galaxy in both DH and RT, which shows the relative positions of the Calixis Sector and the Expanse to one another. As it's not free online, I can't use it. The setting is technically just outside the border of Segmentum Obscurus, somewhere far "north-west" of the Eye of Terror. Distance from Holy Terra is probably about 5-15 years in Warp Space.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Aye Cap'n. There's one in the book (pg 304) but I couldn't find it posted anywhere online. I found this generic 40k map and hand-drew the cyan stuff to show generally where the Koronus Expanse is. (I just figured out how to make an image also be a hotlink to another page. Check it out... click on this small one, and a big one should appear.)

A map of just the Koronus Expanse can also be found here.
Last edited by Andrea Chan-Gauthier on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Thanks for that link. It gives a decent enough picture. Though I should say that Calixis and Koronus encompass only a pin-prick of space in relation to the whole map.

EDIT: Just edited Stone's dates to reflect the correct method of counting - i.e. M41 means the 41st Millenium, which is the year 40,000-40,999.
Last edited by Montresor on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Montresor wrote:Though I should say that Calixis and Koronus encompass only a pin-prick of space in relation to the whole map.
The large area I highlighted was mostly to display my own lack of precision, not to imply the size of the expanse. (For example, some of the locations cited on this map and the one in the book aren't really in the same locations. Near enough, but they seemed off to my eye. That made locating the Expanse on this map a very "fuzzy" thing.)
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Montresor wrote: There's a great map of the galaxy in both DH and RT, which shows the relative positions of the Calixis Sector and the Expanse to one another.
I'm not encouraging spurious activities (yarr!), but the Dark Heresy core-book can be found via less-than-reputable channels (read:torrents), while the Rogue Trader sourcebook is as yet unattainable through said channels :wink:. The game mechanics are essentially the same and the maps are all there.

Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Montresor wrote: EDIT: Just edited Stone's dates to reflect the correct method of counting - i.e. M41 means the 41st Millenium, which is the year 40,000-49,999.
Epic fail on my part. Actually the 41st millennium would be 40,000 to 40,999, but now we're just getting cheeky. ;)

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Stone Magnet wrote:
Montresor wrote: EDIT: Just edited Stone's dates to reflect the correct method of counting - i.e. M41 means the 41st Millenium, which is the year 40,000-49,999.
Epic fail on my part. Actually the 41st millennium would be 40,000 to 40,999, but now we're just getting cheeky. ;)
I don't know what you're talking about, young man. I never wrote such a thing. A mistake like that would just be embarrassing...

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

And... just getting ready to post my personel file, and wow... Zarkov's post is just setting the bar pretty high. This will take some additional work, I think.

Kudos to you.

Return to “Rogue Trader”