Rogue Trader - Registration and Discussion Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Rogue Trader - Registration and Discussion Thread

Post by Montresor »

Last edited by Montresor on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Welcome all.

Please use this thread for all game related discussions which are not in-character i.e. all of the non-rp elements of this RPG game.

Rogue Trader is a roleplaying game set within the Warhammer 40,000 universe, in which players take the roles of a Rogue Trader and his retinue, exploring and exploiting the realms beyond the Imperium of Man.

For all of those interested in playing please PM me for details (if you unsure of the setting), and also register your interest here - including the character you wish to play.

Please remember that there can be only one Rogue Trader character, as there will be only one starship upon which the game is primarily set (at least to start with).

More details will soon follow.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier, at your service. Details to follow, once I invent them. So far, I know that my home planet is of Canadian derivation, though ethnically the name implies Chinese and French immigrants to Canada before they moved to the stars.

I have not yet chosen a career, though I know that I'm not interested in being the Rogue Trader himself. Montresor, if you have further information on the two psyker careers, I'd be interested in knowing more there. (There was a small bit of info for the other careers in the sample adventure available for download.) I've narrowed my choices down to Astropath Transcendent, Navigator, or Seneschal.

[Yes, this is Goatkiller, Menolly.]
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:[Yes, this is Goatkiller, Menolly.]
:spew:

Already figured that out as soon as you registered...
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Preatus here. I am seeking service aboard a Rogue Trader vessel, hopefully one operating outside of the Calixis sector. I come from a long line of successful and distinguished navigators, therefore there is a great need for my services.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:Andrea Chan-Gauthier, at your service. Details to follow, once I invent them. So far, I know that my home planet is of Canadian derivation, though ethnically the name implies Chinese and French immigrants to Canada before they moved to the stars.

I have not yet chosen a career, though I know that I'm not interested in being the Rogue Trader himself. Montresor, if you have further information on the two psyker careers, I'd be interested in knowing more there. (There was a small bit of info for the other careers in the sample adventure available for download.) I've narrowed my choices down to Astropath Transcendent, Navigator, or Seneschal.

[Yes, this is Goatkiller, Menolly.]
I have no problem with a Canadian-themed background. After all, there's a Space Marine Chapter with American-Indian style names, and there are a few Werhmacht-themed Imperial Guard regiments in the 40k game. All I would ask for you to keep in mind, however, is that in the thousands and thousands of years since Humanity first reached the stars, no-one would have any memory of anything from our current time. The name "Earth" isn't even used anymore (replaced by Holy Terra). But it is conceivable that in a million million Imperial worlds, some may have developed along similiar social-patterns as that wondrous country.

As for the Psyker careers:

Astropath Transcendent - These are powerful Psykers who have had their souls scoured clean by the "searing purity of the Emperor's beneficence". They are blinded by the experience, and often lose one or two of their other senses (their sight is 'restored', though it is unnatural; their attunement with the Warpm allows them to perceive their surroundings in mostly physical terms). Astropaths are primarily used to communicate across the galaxy by projecting their voices into the Warp, as part of a 'choir' of telepaths. Aboard a ship, their services are invaluable. They have a wide range of psychic abilities, which are generally broader than the Navigators (too many options for me to list).

Navigator - Usually members of Navigator houses, these psykers are often of noble lineage. Via genetic mutations (and, often, inbreeding) or latent psychic potential, the Navigators have developed a third eye which can see directly into the horrifying maelstrom of the Immaterium. It is through their efforts that ships can enter the Warp and travel vast distances in comparatively short spaces of time, as they can perceive a multitude of future possibilities, anolmalies, and detect the guiding light of the God Emperor (the Astronomicon). A Navigator's psychic powers are far more focussed than an Astropath's, and they are able to more easily reach mastery of their talents.

I would strongly suggest to anyone who wishes to play a Psyker that they have access to a set of the rules...the information regarding powers is far too detailed for me to even summarise online. Psykers can be challenging characters to play as their use of and exposure to the Warp can often lead to their insanity or corruption. Navigators often physically deteriote or even mutate as their power grows.

Also, Praetus has chosen to play a Navigator. Though I will not stop someone from playing a second one if they absolutely desire it, I feel it is better for the setting if we have just one Navigator PC.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

i might try and nab a pdf of it to help speed things along while i wait for my copy of the rules to arrive in the mail.

i take it that nobody has requested the rogue trader as their class yet?
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Ezra wrote: i take it that nobody has requested the rogue trader as their class yet?
That's right, not formally. Dorian expressed interest in one concept for an RT, but I think this was if no-one else wanted it (he also had a nice idea for an Astropath).

Anyone can feel free to make a claim to play the RT, but there will be only one...so getting an early claim in will help a lot if it comes to making a decision as to who plays one. Your idea of the reluctant leader would suit the game quite well. Dorian's Bligh-like figure would also be fun.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

i won't make a formal request until i've seen the rules for each class, so if someone wants to take the RT class, i won't cry about it.

first in, best dressed and what-not.
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

No problem.

Short descriptions for all of the possible careers have been put up in the career thread.

The sooner players decide on what to play, the sooner we can start. Hopefully, this can begin in no more than a few weeks.

EDIT:

A quick note - the pictures in the career thread are obviously there just for atmosphere - excluding the Navigator (who has to have a third-eye), you shouldn't feel compelled to make your character look identical or even closely like those.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

I've been looking around for a PDF copy to buy, but they seem to only be selling paper copies right now. Likewise, been trying to find a pirated PDF to read until my paper copy arrives. (Haven't ordered the paper copy just yet. It looks a bit expensive, so was still searching around.)

There are lots of copies of the older 40k Rogue Trader books... guess that's not for the RPG, just the miniatures combat deal.

But, Amazon is selling for in the US $37 range, with free shipping. That's much more reasonable than the $60ish I was seeing at first.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

my heart is set on astropath or RT. i like both my ideas alot, so as long as i get to play one ill be happy. Ill quite happily go with whatever Montresor would prefer to see in game.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Montresor wrote:Short descriptions for all of the possible careers have been put up in the career thread.
And... Seneschal it is. Now to get a copy of the book, so I have a better feel for what that really gets me.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote:my heart is set on astropath or RT. i like both my ideas alot, so as long as i get to play one ill be happy. Ill quite happily go with whatever Montresor would prefer to see in game.
Either would be fine.

The only definite role that has to be filled is the Rogue Trader. If no-one wants that, I'll get you to fill the position (feel free to claim it, of course). An Astropath would also be good to have.

The roles which I feel are essential to fill are:

Rogue Trader
Navigator
Seneschal
Astropath Transcendent

Two of those are taken, which is great.

Having a Void-Master or two would be great, as would a Missionary.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:
Montresor wrote:Short descriptions for all of the possible careers have been put up in the career thread.
And... Seneschal it is. Now to get a copy of the book, so I have a better feel for what that really gets me.
Excellent choice. A very influential role.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

We do need a missionary position. Although I am usually on top, I will not take the Rogue Trader.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

pure gold.
Ezra
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

ok then, what would you fellas rather see as fellow players?

a rogue trader who is typical arrogant nobility 1700s royal navy type who got his role more through position and stature rather than skill, whos personal aims and status take precedence over that of his crew, with some small twists

or

a astropath who is in constant fear of the Inquisition, the warp and everything in between, paranoid and untrusting of most, especially his own mind, but with some quirks

theres more i wont divulge for sake of interesting character twists, but Im honestly torn between which i would like most
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Play both. In all honesty I'd love to see both. The Rogue Trader is essential though and personally I dig that take on it. Guess it depends if someone else is keen though.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Hmm I'm leaning more and more towards the rogue trader. He would come from Volpone, same place to these guys for those of you who don't read Gaunts ghosts

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Volpone_Bluebloods
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I'm fine with that, though we'll need to talk about the Dynasty itself. For story reasons I've had to dictate their past history (or at least their current situation) a little.

Return to “Rogue Trader”