Rogue Trader - Port Wander

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:...his servo-skull clicks and whirrs, using its combi tools to uncover a withered parchment, long since soaked in oils from the tech priests ruined metal limbs. Almost entirely blackened from the oils and age, it is not inconceivable that major restorative work could repair the parchment. Faint tracings are still legible, though Malachi cannot discern its intent.

A clogged filtration grate is inset in the wall at the base of the well, inscribed above with symbols of the Mechanicus.

[Should you choose to exit via the filtration grate - which is more or less a crawlspace - you will need to use your combi-tools etc to proceed. There is little doubt you could proceed, but it may just take some time to access the duct. It leads in the general direction of the Invictus, though you are unsure whether you are now below the dock level or not]
Malachi carefully places the parchment in a safe storage unit on his person before turning his attentions towards the filtration grate. A silent order is given, and the servo-skull gets to work to help Malachi open it, before entering the duct to scout for danger. Malachi waits patiently at the entrance for a few moments before following cautiously behind.
Ezra
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: "Welcome to the Invictus Aeterna, Navigator Praetus. I'm Seneschal Majoris, Andrea Chan-Gauthier." She breaks the handshake to turn to the man next to her. "This is Lt. Commander Zarkov, First Mate and Gunnery Officer."
Zarkov nodded to the Navigator, still musing over his military style trappings. "At your service. Always pleased to meet another who has served the Holy Fleet. Laurent, Emperor preserve him, spoke very highly of your references." He turns back to the parade, scanning the crew for signs of disobedience, and searching for the Lord-Captain.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus nodded slightly with a slight smile on his face. "A pleasure to meet you all," he said languidly. "Seneschal Chan-Gauthier and Lt. Commander Zarkov, I thank you both for your warm welcome. My great Family had many seneschals and master-at-arms, and I hope that you do not fail in your services to the man holding a Warrant of Trade."

He turned away to face the long columns of crew members, and gave them appraising glances. One hand fidgeted, and he resisted the urge to light another cigar; it would do no good for the ratings see him act without propriety. So he endured their gazes, lying to himself that they were each immensely jealous of his position.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi's servo-skull sets to work, cutting and drilling the filtration grate loose. The clogged detritus makes the work slow for the familiar, and it takes almost a full ten minutes to finish the task. At times, the Explorator wonders if his servant is not faulty.

[several failed attempts meant that removing the grate was very slow work, though there were no other ill-effects]

The grate free, the passage of air through the base of the well is uninterrupted. The fetid reek which has settled here for decades is slowly exorcised by the mysterious workings of ancient technology. Malachi folows after his servo-skull, which has already plunged into the dark confines of the filtration duct.

Although the familiar has no difficulty, Malachi's progression through the duct is difficult, owing to the narrowness of the passage, and the shoulder-mounted bolter he has attached. The familiar awaits, thirty or forty metres ahead, where the duct opens into a central sustainer room. The filtration pit is wide and deep, though its base is no more than a half dozen metres below Malachi's duct. Air-wells, through which great fans taller than two men slowly turn, are inset into the walls. A ladder runs up one side of the pit, ascending all the way to a ceiling hatch some fifty metres above.

[there is a small danger of taking a little damage if you do not handle/plan your fall from the duct well. The servo-skull has also noticed that the fans are hardly running at optimum efficiency. A control panel for them is inset into a wall in the pit]
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

"We also hope we will not fail our new Lord-Captain, and your presence should make that job easier for all. You are most welcome here. Let's continue with the rest of the senior staff, shall we?"

Turning to Drak-Kung, "This is is our Master-At-Arms, Drak-Kung. He's in charge of all security aboard the ship."

[She'll continue with the rest of the bridge staff (since they're standing right here), then move to the Psykers. As a player, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to also introduce him to the merchants sitting over there and I didn't see a skill on the sheet that seemed to apply to knowing that, either. So... I guess "GM, please make whatever roll you think applies and then assume that I would act on the result of that roll."]
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The Chief-Seneschal continues to introduce Navigator Praetus to the senior command staff. Drak-Kung finishes talking on his micro-bead by the time he is introduced.

Three navigators step forward when Praetus is brought close enough. All three wear cowled robes. The first is so thin his skin almost hangs about like leather over a skeleton. The ravages of perceiving the Warp have evidently taken their toll with more severity on this man. 'My greetings, Senior Navigator. I was the acting Senior Navigator, Gulliame Du Preste. Here,' he turns to the two beside him, 'we have Karis and Julient'.

The three navigators bow to their new senior and remain silent. The men from Alid-Yuril watch the proceedings more intently, studying the new addition with interest.

Factor Kerr steps forward. 'Welcome, Praetus. Laurent spoke with pleasure at your family's agreement that you should join his crew. Alas, Laurent is no longer with us, and we wonder if his replacement shall ever arrive. We are eager to see if you and the rest of these . . . proffessionals are up to the challenge of realising the opportuinity we offer'.

[Praetus thinks he may have heard of the name of the Du Preste Navigator house before, although he is unsure of any other details. Drak-Kung notices Verentese watching him quietly]
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:Although the familiar has no difficulty, Malachi's progression through the duct is difficult, owing to the narrowness of the passage, and the shoulder-mounted bolter he has attached. The familiar awaits, thirty or forty metres ahead, where the duct opens into a central sustainer room. The filtration pit is wide and deep, though its base is no more than a half dozen metres below Malachi's duct. Air-wells, through which great fans taller than two men slowly turn, are inset into the walls. A ladder runs up one side of the pit, ascending all the way to a ceiling hatch some fifty metres above.

[there is a small danger of taking a little damage if you do not handle/plan your fall from the duct well. The servo-skull has also noticed that the fans are hardly running at optimum efficiency. A control panel for them is inset into a wall in the pit]
After reaching the end of the duct, Malachi twists onto his back and grabs the edge of the vent's entry to pull himself halfway out. While he's sitting on the edge, he grabs the bottom edge of the vent and pushes the rest of himself out to hang off the edge, before dropping down onto the ground.
Ezra
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:"We also hope we will not fail our new Lord-Captain, and your presence should make that job easier for all. You are most welcome here. Let's continue with the rest of the senior staff, shall we?"

Turning to Drak-Kung, "This is is our Master-At-Arms, Drak-Kung. He's in charge of all security aboard the ship."
Navigator Praetus smiled mockingly and nodded towards Drak-Kung. "Ah, I was mistaken. Please, accept my apologies, Drak-Kung. I see that the ship is in very capable hands." As soon as finished speaking he turned to face the robed figures, ignoring the rest.

"Du Preste, Karis, and Julient," Praetus said with an air of authority in his voice. "Finally I meet those who will be working beneath me. I have it that you are all highly recommended. Your family is known to me, Du Preste. I trust you are aware of House Praetus? I diverge from what matters; please make yourselves available an hour before we jump into the Warp. You will find me in the Navigator Pit."

Praetus adjusted his cloak and glanced around, secretly enjoying the attention he was receiving from the rows of crew members.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi attempts to position himself within the narrow ductway, trying to gain a more advantageous position from which to drop to the floor. Although he is partly successful, the Explorator soon loses his grip and slides out, falling painfully on the floor - primarily impacting it with his upper back. His cyber mantle disperses some of the damage, and he is spared from serious harm.

Now, at the base of the filtration room, Malachi observes the interior - numerous ducts fan off from the chamber, while the slow-moving fans beat as they have done for centuries.

[you failed the attempt at repositioning yourself quite badly, although you were lucky, and only suffered 4 Wounds damage]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:Malachi attempts to position himself within the narrow ductway, trying to gain a more advantageous position from which to drop to the floor. Although he is partly successful, the Explorator soon loses his grip and slides out, falling painfully on the floor - primarily impacting it with his upper back. His cyber mantle disperses some of the damage, and he is spared from serious harm.

Now, at the base of the filtration room, Malachi observes the interior - numerous ducts fan off from the chamber, while the slow-moving fans beat as they have done for centuries.

[you failed the attempt at repositioning yourself quite badly, although you were lucky, and only suffered 4 Wounds damage]
The servo-skull begins ascending towards the ceiling, scanning for danger as it goes, but with the primary aim of opening the hatch above. Malachi watches his companion's progress while shaking off the shock of his fall before making his way to the ladder to begins his ascent.
Ezra
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Adjusting his collar in the mirror, Garrius contemplated his position. He was about to meet the men who held the power to give his crumbling dynasty new life, yet due to the incompetence of staff here at port wander he had been delayed. Garrius's eyes were cold with anger as he placed his peaked cap upon his head.

Stepping back to look upon his uniform, he nodded slightly with pride upon his full dress uniform. Each buckle was polished, every strap oiled. His boots gleamed like black mirrors and his row of medals shined. He lingered slightly on those medals, remembering the actions that had won and lost them. Despite this he still chose to wear them. And curse anyone who said he didn't deserve too. There was a slight knock at the door to his chambers.

"Come." He could hear the door open behind him and the sound of foot steps as a servant in uniform entered the room. He watched in the mirror as the man came to attention behind him in a lax way only a civilian would consider to be respectful.

"Lord Captain, your transport has arrived and the servators have stowed your luggage. We shall leave when you are ready."

Garrius stiffened, thrusting forward his jaw as he looked himself over one more time in the mirror. "Then let us go immediately, those waiting for us have waited long enough."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Garrius Amphael, Lord and Captain of the Invictus Aeterna, and the designated head of an ancient dynasty, is led through the service corridors of Port Wander. He passes by the most richly decorated halls of the port, where friezes depict Imperial saints doing battle with hideous xenos. A procession of representatives from the Ecclesiarchy pass him by, the head missionary nodding solemnly to him before continuing.

Eventually, Garrius reaches a service vehicle, which has been marked for his special usage. Before Garrius boards, the servant hands him a small scroll case, sealed with the Amphael crest – a green orb, shadowed by the Aquila. ‘I was requested to give this to you when you were on your way to your vessel, my lord. It is a message sent via Astropath by your father’. The servant smiles politely before departing. ‘Profitable voyages, my lord’.

While Garrius reads the letter, his transport takes a leisurely journey through the less densely crowded tunnels of Port Wander. He ignores the details about him, engrossed as he is in his reading.

Minutes later, the transport comes to a stop at the end of a long line of men and women, arrayed in columns. All eyes turn to the Rogue Trader as he emerges from the vehicle. Hundreds of boot heels click together in unison, as officers salute their appointed commander. The sound reverberates throughout the immense docking bay, becoming lost in its high reaches, and a deathly silence descends upon the scene.

Steel-limbed servitors with lifeless, barely human, faces take Garrius’s luggage and follow in his wake. Garrius, at the head of the parade column, begins his march towards the Invictus Aeterna.

[Feel free to describe your march to the end of the colum yourself, though it isn't too far. At the end of the column, you will be greeted by the senior staff - most likely by Zarkov or Andrea. As you march along, a small detachment of Drak-Kung's Armsmen will join your side - a mere formailty, perhaps. Expect a PM soon about the letter]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: The servo-skull begins ascending towards the ceiling, scanning for danger as it goes, but with the primary aim of opening the hatch above. Malachi watches his companion's progress while shaking off the shock of his fall before making his way to the ladder to begins his ascent.
Once more setting its combi-tools to work, the servo-skull begins working on the forgotten machines of the under-port. This time, however, the hatch proves no challenge at all and, although it has not been moved in countless years, the man hole is easily unfastened. Malachi's familiar lacks the strength to lift the hatch, and waits instead for its master to ascend the ladder.

In no time, the tech priest has opened the hatch and emerged into a narrow passage above. The area is darkly lit, though there are sounds of human movement. The hatch lies at the rear of a short stairwell, which leads up and into a service tunnel. However, the tunnel also opens into the cavernous emptiness of the docking bay. Malachi observes the sight of one of the Invictus's fins. It is likely that beyond the opening, there will be ladders leading up to the bay, or possibly to service entrances on the frigate itself.

[Malachi may attempt to find a way up to the docking bay, where the parade probably still waits; or he may try to find a way onto the Invictus itself - or whatever else he wishes to do]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:In no time, the tech priest has opened the hatch and emerged into a narrow passage above. The area is darkly lit, though there are sounds of human movement. The hatch lies at the rear of a short stairwell, which leads up and into a service tunnel. However, the tunnel also opens into the cavernous emptiness of the docking bay. Malachi observes the sight of one of the Invictus's fins. It is likely that beyond the opening, there will be ladders leading up to the bay, or possibly to service entrances on the frigate itself.

[Malachi may attempt to find a way up to the docking bay, where the parade probably still waits; or he may try to find a way onto the Invictus itself - or whatever else he wishes to do]
Malachi follows his servo-skull into the service tunnel, scanning for clues that will lead to an entrance into Invictus.
Ezra
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea sighs, and mutters "...finally...".

Standing up straighter, she resumes her "Civilian Attention" stance, turns on her brightest smile, and watches her new Lord-Captain's approach.

Thinking to herself, "I wonder what kind of man he'll be. He's doing the parade... allowing the troups to view him on his walk of pride. From here, it looks like he's got only a military uniform... nothing fancy added yet. So he's not full of pride. Could be good for us, could be bad."

Garrius Amphael
Lord-Captain, and my new God.
I hope you're worth it.

Andrea will otherwise wait for Garrius to finish promenading himself before the masses.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: Malachi follows his servo-skull into the service tunnel, scanning for clues that will lead to an entrance into Invictus.
Finding a service ramp to the Invictus is not a difficult task for the Explorator. Although he is unfamiliar with the layout of the tunnels below the docking bay, Malachi uses his memory of similar structural layouts to navigate his passage.

[I averaged your Int and Per and made a test, with a bonus for your class and other skills. You succeeded easily, and wasted no time, nor did you get lost]

Emerging from the neglected byways of the under-port, Malachi finds himself on a narrow ledge, about which ladders and gantries intersect with labyrinthine purpose. Rag cloaked service staff from Port Wander can be seen busying themselves about their oil-soaked drudgery. Before the gantries is the maw of the bay, where the great form of the Invictus Aeterna lies inertly moored, fixed in place by gargantuan metal clamps and cranes.

Nearby Malachi, a ramp leads on to the lower decks of the frigate. Dockers load small crates of service materials, back and forth along the ramp. Two men in simple field-grey uniforms, with lasguns slung over their shoulders, watch as the dockers load the material. They stand at the entrance to the metal rampway.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

As Garrius becomes visible, Drak-Kung snaps to attention, making sure his people show equal alacrity and alertness.

He thinks, "Holder of my word..... Honored of the Emperor......let him not be a fop, else I'll spend so much time working frustration out it'll take daily visits by tech-priests to maintain the dummies and targets in the Training Hall"

Unswerving discipline keeps any trace of these thoughts far, far from his features.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:Nearby Malachi, a ramp leads on to the lower decks of the frigate. Dockers load small crates of service materials, back and forth along the ramp. Two men in simple field-grey uniforms, with lasguns slung over their shoulders, watch as the dockers load the material. They stand at the entrance to the metal rampway.
Malachi, followed by his servo-skull, makes his way up the ramp and into the Invictus. One of the guards raises a hand in a 'halt' gesture before asking the purpose of Malachi's presence.

"I am Malachi, Explorator of the Adeptus Mechanicus, and have been assigned to this vessel. Let me pass."

The guards immediately stand to attention, and allow him to pass between them.

"Looks like I had to endure ceremony, after all," Malachi mutters to himself.

Once inside, he proceeds to the nearest intercom to alert the bridge of his arrival before making his way there, himself.
Last edited by Malachi on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezra
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Composed down to the smallest muscle, Garrius only smiled inwardly at the sound of hundreds of boots snapping to attention.

Back straight, chest out and head held high he made his way past ranks upon ranks of personnel, his mirror polished boots reverberating around the hall. Ahead of him was his senior staff and the merchant lords he was here to meet. He could see they were impatient with his late arrival.

As he neared the ensemble, his fathers message played over in his mind. He hadn't expected such a thing from the old man. None the less, that could wait, he had more pressing matters to attend to.

Several officers saluted him as he arrived at the group, and he nodded back. He noted with embarrassment one of his senior staff was a civilian making an lack lustre attempt at standing to yet he tried hard not to show this at all.

Pushing past a group of officers bidding his welcome he made straight for the merchant lords.

"Greetings Lords. You must excuse my lateness. I made it here as soon I could, be assured." He looked around him, motioning towards the rank and file. "Now I believe there is some sort of ceremony involved with this sort of thing. Once finished we can get down to negotiating hmm?'

And thus, Lord Rogue Trader Garrius of the Amphael Dynasty proudly looked out upon his new command.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea pushes her nervousness deep down inside herself, smiles brightly, and takes one step forward towards her new Lord-Captain. But, he's heading towards the Merchent Lords, instead. Her smile droops a bit, and the rest of her halts there as he moves past her entirely.
Garrius Amphael wrote:"Greetings Lords. You must excuse my lateness. I made it here as soon I could, be assured." He looked around him, motioning towards the rank and file. "Now I believe there is some sort of ceremony involved with this sort of thing. Once finished we can get down to negotiating hmm?'
Having spoken thus, the Lord-Captain turned aroud to face his troups, coincidentally facing towards Andrea and the other senior officers. Once again, she rachets up her smile and steps towards him. She begins with a full ceremonial bow (civilian nobility to family head), then rises. "Lord-Captain Garrius Amphael, welcome to the Invictus Aeterna. I'm Andrea Chan-Gauthier, Seneschal Majoris for your ship. This is your First Mate, Lt. Commander Zarkov; Chief of Security, Drak-Kung..."

Andrea will work her way through the introductions, unless someone diverts the flow. Bridge staff first, then the psykers, starting with Praetus and the Unborn. Feel free to chime in with individual comments here... I'm not trying to cut people out.

"... and we are still expecting a new Tech Priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus, who has not yet arrived."

Return to “Rogue Trader”