Rogue Trader - Port Wander

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Felton nods with instinctual politeness. 'My condolences, Madam'.

The Procurator turns and leaves, marching towards the main exit to Port Wander proper. He does not look back, nor quicken his pace.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Andrea repeats "My condolences" in an intentionally bad parody of the Procurator's voice, then turns on her heel and strides back into the ship. She heads for the Dining Hall, to meet up with the Captain and senoir staff.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Montresor wrote:
Vehle does not alter her stance. Respectfully waiting for enough silence to have passed before speaking up, she addresses the Lord-Captain:

'Since you have made this decision, might I suggest that you discuss this with the representatives of the crew...I mean, if you were to invite the heads of the major clans amongst the crew to explain your decision to them, I am sure that they'll take it better than simply being told that they will be asked to risk their lives and beloved vessel on this venture'.
Garrius nodded. "Very well, I shall address them after we have finalized things with the consortium. Zarkov, I shall require you and my Seneschal to accompany me whilst I do so, and Drak Kung, your presence would be appreciated. Now, if no body else has anything to add, I shall inform the consortium of my decision."

[ooc] Garrius will wait a moment before returning to the Dining hall.[/ooc]
Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

The Chief of Security instantly slides into position, to the right and a half step behind Lord Amphael.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[I will assume that Garrius arrives without Andrea, however, if you wish to wait you can assume you do so. As Garrius invited only Andrea, Drak-Kung, and Zarkov to the final round of negotiations with Alid-Yuril, Malachi and Praetus will be shown to their quarters]

The representatives of the Alid-Yuril Consortium wait patiently for the return of the Rogue Trader and his senior staff. Although they seem relaxed, this is most likely a practiced demeanour. Neither Kerr nor his associates betray the impression of suspicion or unease.

After Garrius explains to the men that the Amphaels will agree to their endeavour, Olyx begins to transcribe the meeting.

Factor Kerr undoes a bundle of scrolls, setting aside an old fashioned quill set and ink. 'There is just the matter of a few formalities to deal with. We can have the Invictus loaded with the necessary equipment for the venture within fifty hours. Please, fix your signature and the Amphael's seal to these documents...'

Kerr hands Garrius a number of scrolls, each outlining various legal responsibilities between Alid-Yuril and Amphael. Skimming them quickly, Garrius can tell that they cover all sorts of contractual agreements, from division of profits, ownership of the Albinus colony, accomodation for the Alid-Yuril staff on board the frigate, and so on and so forth. It appears to be in accordance with everything he has heard. Kerr keeps handing these documents to Garrius, also giving him hot wax for his seal and a quill and ink for his signature.

[although noone else finds this behaviour amiss, Zarkov gets the impression that Kerr is deliberately loading documents on top of documents, perhaps simply trying to speed things along]

'There are just a few more questions I have for you, and for your chief-of-security here,' Kerr continues as you peruse the documents. 'To you, err, Drak-Kung is it? I take it that you will be in charge of any planetary security measures? We can only load on a certain amount of equipment which will be of military use on Albinus. Would you prefer that we sent more grenades and poisons which might be of use clearing plant life on the planet; or would you prefer we simply sent more conventional weapons - rifles, grenades, autoguns and such?

'And, Lord Amphael, there is the small matter of our representatives accomodation while on board the Invictus. The people we shall send will all be professionals, hardly the kind who should be crammed into holds in the deep decks. Would you be bothered if we took charge of some of the junior officer's quarters? I imagine you'd have to put your junior officers in three or five a room. We would greatly appreciate the space.

'Lastly, we think that it is possible that you could find certain interested parties here in Port Wander or in Footfall, in the Expanse, who may be interested in journeying to Albinus. You could probably enhance your profits if you do. Hunters, bored nobles, beast-traders, and that sort of person. We only ask that, if you canvass for this kind of interest, you remain as discrete about the venture as possible. We have done our utmost to remain quiet, though some of our rivals could be employing any scheme to find out what we are up to'.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Montresor wrote: [although noone else finds this behaviour amiss, Zarkov gets the impression that Kerr is deliberately loading documents on top of documents, perhaps simply trying to speed things along]
Damn bureaucrats, Zarkov thought to himself. He was generally ill at ease with the whole procedure, but tried to keep this fact hidden. He was not particularly worried about exploring the finer points of the contract, that was the Seneschal's job, but the Explorator's comment had made him suspicious. He had interpreted the maxim the way an old Navy instructor had used it, as "The captivated hordes", referring to the crew. He did not believe that now was the right time to voice his suspicion, however.
Montresor wrote:'And, Lord Amphael, there is the small matter of our representatives accomodation while on board the Invictus. The people we shall send will all be professionals, hardly the kind who should be crammed into holds in the deep decks. Would you be bothered if we took charge of some of the junior officer's quarters? I imagine you'd have to put your junior officers in three or five a room. We would greatly appreciate the space.
Zarkov interjected to the Lord-Captain. "Sir, may I suggest that to avoid suffering a drastic drop in morale we quarter only Void-born officers this way, as those used to living on-world may find these new quarters too cramped for their liking. If you wish sir, I will inform the junior officers myself, and ask for volunteers from among the Void-born."
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus returned to the dining hall and his chair, pouring himself a glass of wine as he sat down. The wine was now at room temperature, but rare and therefore necessary. While both parties conducted their deals, he swallowed a mouthful of wine and poured himself another glass. The navigator was becoming drunk, but he had played his part and was bored with the current stage; he reclined into his chair and stared into the distance with a detached expression.

Praetus' obsidian eyes reflected the room.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius listened to Zarkov as document was piled upon document. He found it barely surprising that there was so many papers to sign, he just loathed it. Such things bored and drained him. He dropped the papers casually onto the dining table before nodding to his first mate.

"Yes Zarkov, make it so. If need be the passengers can share rooms too." He turned to look at Kerr. "Not preferable I know, but you must understand that such a journey shall be perilous and I require my crew to be prepared to work at all times, so being well rested is a must. I'm sure we shall find a compromise."

He looked down at the documents." As for loading the hold, no rush. There are still some minor preparations to be made on our side, so aim to be prepared to depart in seventy two hours. As for these" He waved a hand over the papers."I shall have my Seneschal double check them all and make sure everything is in order, she is far more skilled for such legalities than I. I shall have them signed and sealed to you by the morning. This should leave plenty of time to load the ship and prepare the voyage. Acceptable?"
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'Very well'.

[The men will wait for Drak-Kung's reply, leave the documents with Garrius, and depart for elsewhere in Port Wander - presumably to make arrangements to load the Invictus. When Andrea arrives and gets a chance to examine the documents, she will note that one fairly innocuous one seems to be referring to non-existant expenses to be covered by the Amphael Dynasty. Signing the document would have fleeced the Amphaels of a portion of their profit. Though offensive, this kind of contractual robbery is hardly unusual, and the Amphaels themselves have been known to pull the stunt on some merchant houses. The document can simply be ignored with no detrimental effect. If you wish to confront the Alid-Yuril men about it, please PM me.

If anyone wishes to post interactions before the Ecclesiarchy service, please do so. If a character does not wish to attend the service, please let me know. I will give players until tomorrow night to decide, or to post any pre-service interactions
]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

"Given that the biggest threat is native life-forms, I believe a mix of melta, flame, and grenade launchers would be optimal. Flame is non-penetrative, but tends to...dissuade many predators as well as area-denial effect. Melta for things which are essentially armored....be it scales, or a bark-analogue. And grenade launchers for area-effect. Preferably mostly fragmentation rounds for the area-effect. If the costs of this would be prohibitive, then a squad-by-squad breakdown of the ordnance can be negotiated. But simply sending everyone down with cheap lasguns is a very risky proposition."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:"Given that the biggest threat is native life-forms, I believe a mix of melta, flame, and grenade launchers would be optimal. Flame is non-penetrative, but tends to...dissuade many predators as well as area-denial effect. Melta for things which are essentially armored....be it scales, or a bark-analogue. And grenade launchers for area-effect. Preferably mostly fragmentation rounds for the area-effect. If the costs of this would be prohibitive, then a squad-by-squad breakdown of the ordnance can be negotiated. But simply sending everyone down with cheap lasguns is a very risky proposition."
[OOC - Alid-Yuril willreturn with an inventory of the items they will be able to supply you with. Melta weapons may be tricky to acquire, but flame and grenade launchers will be no problem at all. These will add to the ship's armoury and increase the performance of armsmen platoons, when equipped]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Garrius Amphael wrote:He looked down at the documents." As for loading the hold, no rush. There are still some minor preparations to be made on our side, so aim to be prepared to depart in seventy two hours. As for these" He waved a hand over the papers."I shall have my Seneschal double check them all and make sure everything is in order, she is far more skilled for such legalities than I. I shall have them signed and sealed to you by the morning. This should leave plenty of time to load the ship and prepare the voyage. Acceptable?"
Andrea enters at this point, and moves to the Captain's table quietly. She takes her seat next to him, apologizes for her tardiness, and picks up the stack of contracts. "To whom should I deliver these, once I've had a chance to review them? I assume the Alid-Yuril offices on Port Warder?"

After that, she will retire to her office in the Librarium to begin reviewing. She'll change clothes before going to the Ecclesiarchy service.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Hours later, the senior staff assemble in the chapel for a service to the God Emperor. All of the PCs are present, except the Explorator, Malachi. No tech-priests are present]

Dedications to the Divine Master of Mankind are read; voices are lifted in gladness and rapture as hymns in His name are sung; a choir of ship's-boys lend their tongues to the song; and Detronimus ascends to deliver a sermon.

His style is relaxed. Despite his years of service as a missionary, dedicated to the spread of Truth amongst heretics and sinners, the brother intones with measured calm. When he speaks of the Light of the Golden Throne, he does not yell or screech with the voice of a zealot; nor does he harangue the faithful when he tells of the need to cleanse the mutant, to burn the heretic, and to punish the alien. Instead, his voice echoes through the arches of the chapel - ascending to the vaulted ceiling and resounding down to the ears of the crowd - with the solemn confidence of a man who is set in his faith.

'Praise the Emperor that, through his Divine Providence, his faithful servant Drusus saw fit to grant the Sacred Warrant to Charun. His descendants have held the warrant for over two thousand years. Through this time, they have always prospered when they have served the Emperor's will...they have faltered when thoughts of the Golden Throne have been farthest from their minds. Let us close this service with a simple dedication - lift our voices in this sacred chapel; pledge our allegiance to the Golden Throne, to the Imperium of Man, and to the eradication of heresy from the stars. Let us be thankful that the Amphaels still remain; and let us be mindful that - if they must do so - they must put the God of Man before profit'.

[At this, and with one last hymn, the service will conclude. Those who wish to stay for the Brother's blessing may do so.

The Alid-Yuril Consortium have begun to load heavy equipment on board the Invictus Aeterna. They will have completed this task in just over two days. In this time, PCs will have to attend to their own duties, though they will still have around eight hours (more or less) in which they may carry out some activity or business in Port Wander.

These players must post something brief to discuss their actions:

Garrius - decsribe how you will conduct the meeting with the representatives from the ratings. This meeting was postponed until the next day because the spokesman for the Lowers - a tech priest - was conducting Mechanicus business in Port Wander.

Praetus - you must come up with a detailed plan for navigating through the Passage, from the Maw to Footfall. I need to know exactly the direction you will go, and how many stops you intend to make (and where they will be).

Zarkov - let me know how you will address the junior officers concerning the loss of their rooms.

All other players are free to attempt any action they think they could reasonably do in their free time. I will give all players until Sunday afternoon to post something. After that, I will close this thread, award XP, and move on to the Passage
]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

I head for one of the seedier enclaves on the station...en route, carefully listening (using array) for conversational snippets....cluing in on less-than-reverential-of-the-Imperium comments. I'll head to the bar, after giving the room the once-over, just in case my target is here....if not, address the bartender...."I've got a powerful thirst, neighbor."

--OOC--order a beer-equivalent, drop enough cash for about ten drinks, but position my body so it's not apparent to everyone.

much lower voice...."Looking to find someone....your establishment seems pretty popular. Might be, you know a lot about people, maybe even ones who don't come here. Might we come to an understanding here?"
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[You are able to successfully find an area of the port which reeks of sedition. The bar you have chosen is useful for your purposes]

Drak-Kung finds himself in a notoriously decrepit and ill-reputed bar the poorest depths of Port Wander - The Storm Bolter. The barman, a twitching older man now well and truly gone to seed, stares at the Arch-Militant through one good eye.

'Sure,' he says, almost with resigned self-loathing. 'Your lookin' fer someone. We don' take t' kindly when people come marchin' in huntin' 'bout fer folks. You don' look like an arbitrator. What's yer business, an' who you after?'

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

"My business is that of my patron. Discretion is part of it. I'm interested in a few people, actually"

/OOC--using my array, double check, using Scrutiny, I'll make up three random descriptions, PLUS the mark. I'm watching for him to respond to the REAL target's description..no names, as yet.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[You had a three-step success on a check - 04! What is surprising is that the barman responds very nervously to the general tone of your descriptions, glancing over your shoulder a few times. As he responds to you, you take a look around and note with surprise that one of the fictional men you describe looks a little like a man sitting at a table with another man. Whether it is an absurdly obscure coincidence, or whether you subconciously worked this man's features into your description, is hard to say]

'Don't know none of them ones,' the barman adds with forced surliness, speaking a little too loudly. His agitation is evident. Drak-Kung notes that while the barman is talking, a group of two men sitting at a table behind him go very quiet.

The barman continues, trying to inconspicuoulsy draw himself closer to the Arch-Militant. His breath is hot and dry. 'Yer talkin' 'bout Hale. Jumped port, last I heard. On 'is way to Footfall, I'd wager'.

On the pretense of getting Drak-Kung another drink, the barman leans closer and whispers - 'Over there is Ketch, murderer, rapist, and bottom of the rung ganger. I 'appen to know 'is days are numbered. He's pissed off too many o' the bosses, an' they want him dead. There's a bounty on 'im...but I'm guessing you know that'.

The barman's nerves prove too transparent, and there is the sound of a chair slowly sliding back. Drak-Kung turns, a second dragging into one long timeless moment. At a table behind him, a thin and shirtless thug - wearing nothing but torn workman's pants and a dust swathed blue jacket - gets to his feet. Beside him sits a young man with brightly-dyed hair, mottled with animal fats. Amongst their half empty bottles, there is a single long knife, with which they were carving crude witticisms into a ramshackle table.

The thin man, evidently the 'Ketch' whom the barman spoke of is slowly reaching behind his jacket, his throat rising and falling hard as he swallows with nervousness.

[His eyes are locked on Drak-Kung. You can't see whether he is going for a weapon, but you know he's about to try something. You have seconds to act - if you wish to attack you'll get a bonus to your agility on the first round. If you wish to try something else...]

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Garrius Amphael wrote:"If need be the passengers can share rooms too." He turned to look at Kerr. "Not preferable I know, but you must understand that such a journey shall be perilous and I require my crew to be prepared to work at all times, so being well rested is a must. I'm sure we shall find a compromise."
Zarkov smiled thinly at Garrius' words. "A compromise indeed." He turned to Factor Kerr, his smile even thinner. "You may have one of the rooms in my residence to use as you wish. Hopefully this will set an example for the rest of the crew that we must accommodate our new guests."

[ooc]Zarkov pushes for the Alid Yuril members to be billeted mostly two to a room, as this compromise will result in minimal cramping for the junior officers. Also I'm guessing the smallest of Zarkov's rooms is the size of one of the junior officers rooms, or larger. Because of the compromise, I'm also assuming that the lower billeting figure (Three NCOs to a room on average) will be the norm. This shouldn't discomfort the Void-born at all...He hopes.[/ooc]

At this he departs to prepare for the service, eventually taking his usual seat in the pews to the left of the pulpit.
Montresor wrote:'Let us close this service with a simple dedication - lift our voices in this sacred chapel; pledge our allegiance to the Golden Throne, to the Imperium of Man, and to the eradication of heresy from the stars. Let us be thankful that the Amphaels still remain; and let us be mindful that - if they must do so - they must put the God of Man before profit'.
Zarkov nodded at the preachers words, intoning some of the litanies he knew along with him. Zarkov suspected that Brother Detronimus had misgivings about his own faith, but he stayed for the blessing nonetheless. As a pious man, he knew that to break from ritual was to break with faith. After receiving the blessing, he made his way to the the junior officers quarters.

[ooc]If you want to add a possible dialogue here I can split the post later.[/ooc]

Zarkov spoke first to those Void-born officers he knew to be the most dedicated and selfless, chief among them the fanatically religious Warrant Officer Sturshyi, and the Ensign's Castus and Borius. Most of the gunnery officers he had commanded for years, and knew well. He informed them of the billeting plans and gains their support first.

He then explains to all the Void-born junior officers the situation, and that the gracious Lord-Captain understands their plight and has worked out a compromise. Garrius has guaranteed they will remain well rested, Zarkov reassures them, as they are the ships most valuable asset.

"That being the case," He paused, "if it were my choice, I'd say to the Halo Stars with these bureaucrats and let them find their own lodgings." Several of the junior officers grinned. "Unfortunately, this is the way of it."

"So, it was my suggestion to quarter only Void-born officers this way, as you all, like me, are used to the confines of shipboard lodgings. Thus it is a smaller sacrifice for us to make, for the larger goal. I myself have given up some of my quarters to be used by these...people."

"However, I understand not all of you will be willing to give up your rooms so flippantly. Those of you volunteering will be given a half-cycle off Menial Duty." He paused, letting this sink in. "Sturshyi, Castus, Borius, Ruythur and a half dozen others have already volunteered." The officers stood up straighter as their names were called. Zarkov looked around at the other Void-born. "The rest will be chosen by random ballot, up to a point. Any remaining rooms will be have to be taken from the World-born, who as you know, treasure their space above all else." More grins appeared at this casual jab.

"Regardless of whether you are giving up your room or gaining new shipmates however, most of us are going to have to get used to more cramped quarters. Inform the rest of the junior officers of this regrettable situation, but remember that the Captain deems it a necessary evil. I expect to see a list of volunteers as long as my good leg on the mess wall tomorrow, Emperor willing."

Zarkov managed a smile at this, though he knew that volunteers probably wouldn't be as forthcoming as he hoped. At least the men appeared to be in good spirits, but it was hard to tell for sure. Poor morale was a fickle and dangerous thing, he knew. It could mire and destroy a ship, as surely as the Warp. Zarkov was determined not to let that happen. Not on his watch.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

The next day, Andrea seeks out Zarkov, on the Bridge.

"Lt. Commander, I was thinking of your selfless act yesterday, in giving up one of your rooms for the duration of this voyage. Your dedication is humbling and inspiring. I would like to follow your example, and give up my suite on the Officer's desk for the junior officers to use. I can move myself and my belongings into my office in the Librarium for the duration of the voyage. As you know, I inherited a two-room suite when I took over for Ibrim, though I have few enough belongings to fill the space."

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung leaps a few yards over an intervening stool; a well-timed kick impacts with Ketch's face, who goes stumbling back. The thug drops a revolver, which scatters under a nearby table. Patrons hurriedly clear the area, but stay just close enough to feel and taste the thrill of the fight.

The ganger who was sitting with Ketch takes the knife from the table and comes at Drak-Kung, who has to position himself so as to not be outflanked. Both thugs come at the Arch-Militant with desperate fury, but they are hopelessly out-matched. Ketch's blows fall harmlessly against the Master-at-Arms' Enforcer Carapace; while the Arch-Militant rams his fist hard into the man's face again and again. Blood explodes as Ketch's nose crumbles and teeth and gums cave in like chalk.

The thug with the knife swings raggedly, trying all he can to land a blow. It is only just before Ketch falls in agony to the bar floor that the thug cuts a jagged chunk from Drak-Kung's arnour. The Arch-Militant feels cold steel slice into flesh.

When his partner falls in pain, the man with the knife backs off a little, uncertain. He sees he can't win a straight fight with his opponent.

Ketch crawls uselessly under a table, blood pumping from the ruins of his face; the knife-armed thug eyes the exit and the gun on the floor with equal desperation. It is not clear which he will go for.

[Just for curiosity's sake, you rolled a 01 for your first Weapon Skill attack. Nice. Ketch is down and out for enough rounds to probably be of no further threat to you. The other thug will act soon. You have lost 2 Wounds from the knife cut. I've paused here to give you the chance to change tact...or even let the guy run, if you like]

Return to “Rogue Trader”