Rogue Trader - Port Wander

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Praetus stood behind and to the right of the rogue trader, a glass of wine in his hand and watching the gathering with interest. It was his first time being on the bridge, and the circumstance appeared appropriate. Although Amphael swelled with pride, perhaps excessively so, the navigator repressed excitement and so stood almost still. However, he raised the glass to his lips and drank some wine.

The noble declined to comment, and instead maintained his quiet act.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

A general buzz of conversation erupts the moment Garrius finishes talking. Even before the Seneschal-Majoris can answer the question, the senior staff are voicing their own opinions.

Characteristically, Lieutenant Marla Vehle does not hang on ceremony, talking above the others: 'Our first journey into the Expanse and you'd have us go as far out as the Warp Shoals?'

Colonel Eyre shoots her a scathing glance. 'Afraid of a challenge, Vehle?'

'I'd take a challenge over getting blasted to pieces in the Immaterium on a run for some medicine no-one's even used for four centuries'.

'Three'.

Vehle rolls her eyes. 'Three then. What a difference'.

Duty Officer Mordia steps a little forward, though only enough to get people to look at him. 'I was at the briefing. These Consortium people had a really nice presentation...I mean, they sold the idea well...erm...'.

Sterr once more turns his sightless visage on Andrea. 'I would like to hear from the Seneschal'.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

"Why, thank you sir. I do so hate shouting down the crew." Andrea turns to Garrius. "Lord-Captain, there's more going on here than we know about. I could tell that Factor Kerr was deceiving us about something. I'm not sure what. I suspect that what he told us was all true, but that there's more he isn't telling us, that will make the deal less paletable."

"Beyond that, Drak-Kung and I just had a 'meeting' with a freelance agent from the station." She held up her hands and made quotation marks with her fingers around the word 'meeting'. "He represents a group of... let's call them arms dealers, though I think criminals would also be appropriate. They ALSO have a deal they'd like to propose." Andrea gives the details of the deal as she remembers them.

"But, what I take from this is that... the timing of him showing up here, just when the Lord-Captain arrives, just when the previous merchants were making their own proposal... He even knew they were here, and seemed to know about what they had refused to tell me for months. I think it's mostly a ploy to get us NOT to accept the proposal from the Alid-Yuril."

"This second deal is not as lucrative. It's also not as risky. Brother Detronimus can confirm for us if it's heretical as well. I have my doubts that it's appropriate not to bring this world under the Imperium ourselves." She pauses. "Lord-Captain, if this world is wealthy enough that we can make a profit from selling them arms, wouldn't we become yet still more wealthy installing ourselves as Governors of the place when we bring them to the Imperium?"

"Anyway, between these two deals, I'll let the Lt. Commander and the rest of the crew speak to the risks of the jobs themselves. But I know that both of the representatives were holding back something from us. That's what worries me."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Travic snorts back with his nostrils, producing a disgusting wheezing sound which those who work with him know indicates he's thinking seriously. 'So what if they're criminals? Thrones are thrones. I'd take a short run for a tidy sum over a year in the Expanse for somethin' yer may not even find'.

Tech-priest Metanus intones with a metallic rasp - #Mitilin is not associated in Mechanicus records with the servants of the Omnissiah. The agent lies# The very instant he speaks, Metanus rapidly clicks in binary, talking only to the Explorator.

[OOC - Malachi - see your PMs]

'I'm for Albinus,' Tyor states. 'I didn't join this ship to ferry guns for criminals and heretics'.

'Oh?' Vehle shoots back at him, 'you joined to run drugs or die out on the Shoals instead?'
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[While the crew watch or discuss, Malachi and Metanus both engage in discussion, exchanging short sentences in Tech-priest's binary]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

After a long series of clicks, Malachi sighs heavily.

He continues his clicks for a moment more before muttering "ad captandum vulgus" just audibly enough to be heard by those present.
Ezra
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

"It's only just occurred to me, but the idea of simply conquering Mitilin and setting the Amphaels up as governors is growing on me. It also has the bonus of being in the plans of neither side, so less likely to see us double-crossed."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Malachi wrote: Malachi casually draws his Explorator identification and says "Your empathy demands respect, Zarkov. Please, there is no need for formality. Show me to your Captain... ah, but he arrives, and with company."
Zarkov nods, and bows again, turning to face the party. "Indeed."
Garrius Amphael wrote:Garrius saluted those who had not been at the meeting who he felt worthy of such greetings.

"As you can no doubt imagine this will be no small undertaking. Is there any amongst the staff here who feel we are ill prepared or unable to make such a journey?"
Zarkov stood to attention and saluted as the Lord Captain entered the bridge with his retinue, but held his tongue while the other senior officers voiced their opinions. He did not rebuke Vehle this time, instead regarding her dissension with idle interest.

He bows almost imperceptibly as Metanus entered the room. Zarkov had had attempted many discussions with the enginseer, but Metanus' nature made information gathering about the Mechanicus difficult.
Montresor wrote: Tech-priest Metanus intones with a metallic rasp - #Mitilin is not associated in Mechanicus records with the servants of the Omnissiah. The agent lies#
Zarkov's eyes narrow. He recites under his breath, "All untruths are sedition."
Montresor wrote: 'I'm for Albinus,' Tyor states. 'I didn't join this ship to ferry guns for criminals and heretics'.

'Oh?' Vehle shoots back at him, 'you joined to run drugs or die out on the Shoals instead?'
Zarkov interjects, addressing the Captain.

"Whatever your decision sir, the Invictus will serve. Certainly she has been requisitioned on more high risk missions than this in her illustrious naval career. She will serve you as best she can." He paused, frowning and straightening his stance. "One point I would add sir, with respect. The Invictus is well armed for a frigate of her size, but she is still undergunned, and does not fight well above her class. Therefore i would recommend requisitioning a Munitorium at the earliest opportunity, or failing that, enhanced shells for the macrobatteries." He paused, looking at the Captain, trying to judge his responses.

"Unfortunately, due to the position of the hold, the ship has lost much of her maneuverability, and the more cargo we take on, the less maneuverable we will become. As maneuverability and speed are the Invictus' greatest asset, I must naturally advise against any expeditions that involve long hauls through the Void with heavy cargo. Of course, if this is what you require of us, it will be done."
Malachi wrote:After a long series of clicks, Malachi sighs heavily.
He continues his clicks for a moment more before muttering "ad captandum vulgus" just audibly enough to be heard by those present.
Zarkov listened with interest to the two Mechanicus conversing in Binary. It was a language he had not heard at length since his tenure aboard the Surveyor in the Drusus Marches. The language of the Tech-priests intrigued him, but he could not decipher it. The muttered High Gothic, however, sounded grim and familiar.

[ooc]Basic language test to see if Zarkov understood this comment, if he does, the level to which he understands Malachi's meaning. I suppose this test applies to all who don't speak High Gothic.[/ooc]
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:"It's only just occurred to me, but the idea of simply conquering Mitilin and setting the Amphaels up as governors is growing on me. It also has the bonus of being in the plans of neither side, so less likely to see us double-crossed."
Colonel Eyre, evidently wanting his voice to be dominant in the debate, interjects with thinly concealed disfavour: 'Madame Chan-Gauthier, your lack of military background may forgive your over-confidence. We are but a frigate. How could we conquer a system? Or perhaps you mean that we help instal a government favourable to us? We could spare no more than a thousand crew for an invasion, and I'm afraid I am the only officer here qualified to lead a prolonged campaign,' he says, pausing to glance at Zarkov.

'Afraid of a challenge, Eyre?' Vehle shoots back at him with sarcasm.

Tyor, glaring at both of them, cuts their argument short by interjecting to the Rogue Trader - 'Lord-Captain, I wonder at the potential blow to the Amphael reputation if we turn down the offer from Alid-Yuril, after having insisted they wait on good faith for so long'.

Sterr watches the discussion in silence, particularly fascinated by the exchange between the two tech-priests. 'I will go where our chieftan wills it,' he says, indicating Garrius, 'but I would hear what the Explorator and the Navigator have to say'.

[Regarding Malachi's 'High-Gothic', from what the player once told me, it's more of a kind of pidgeon gothic. As it is a maxim, I will simply rule that all those who want their characters to understand the phrase do]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

[Regarding Malachi's 'High-Gothic', from what the player once told me, it's more of a kind of pidgeon gothic. As it is a maxim, I will simply rule that all those who want their characters to understand the phrase do]
[Might i add that Malachi doesn't actually speak High Gothic. These are phrases he has picked up in previous digs... he probably doesn't even realise what he's saying can be understood by others.]
Ezra
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Montresor wrote: 'Madame Chan-Gauthier, your lack of military background may forgive your over-confidence. We are but a frigate. How could we conquer a system? Or perhaps you mean that we help instal a government favourable to us? We could spare no more than a thousand crew for an invasion, and I'm afraid I am the only officer here qualified to lead a prolonged campaign,' he says, pausing to glance at Zarkov.
Zarkov ignores the glance, and merely affirms Eyre's comment about the frigates capabilities with a curt nod.
Montresor wrote:[ As it is a maxim, I will simply rule that all those who want their characters to understand the phrase do]
[ooc]Zarkov recognises the phrase, and its import, and gets the feeling that the Tech-preists discussion is of some importance to the party. A feeling that the crew could be being decieved somehow by outside parties increases, a vile seed of doubt growing within him. However he does not interject out of respect for the Mechanicus, until Sterr's comment.
Montresor wrote:'I will go where our chieftan wills it,' he says, indicating Garrius, 'but I would hear what the Explorator and the Navigator have to say'.
"As would I."
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:
Montresor wrote:'I will go where our chieftan wills it,' he says, indicating Garrius, 'but I would hear what the Explorator and the Navigator have to say'.
"As would I."
"My motivations are simple. I am a treasure hunter, whether that treasure be relics or information. From the captain's descriptions, neither option provides easy access to the treasures I seek. I wish to have no part in dealing arms, or conquering a planet, simply because I wish to have no part in politics.

"As for this death world? Although gathering spores sounds like farmer's work, visiting a death world does pique my interest.

"Neither option presents me with an immediately obvious source of archeo-tech, but given the choice, I think the Alid-Yuril proposal sounds like the least annoying way for me to profit."
Ezra
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

[ooc] I the player do not recognize the meaning of the phrase. Can someone translate for me?[/ooc]

Andrea holds up a hand, demanding silence with her glare. "Colenel Eyre, did I misjudge all of the bragging we've been doing to the Lord-Captain about the abilities of this ship and her crew? This is, after all, a non spacefaring world. It's not a system. It's so backwards that it's buying weapons from this consortium, and it's using them on each other. You're right that I lack military training. On the other hand, I suspect that Lt. Zarkov's gunnary group could obliterate enough of the world from orbit to get these savages in line. Even if you're afraid to risk our men in the attack."

"And this is why the Lt. Commander was made First Mate."

"Wipe out 1/10 of the planet's cities, then the rest of those filthy savages will get in line. Mark my words. It doesn't take military training to know that 'He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing.'"

"Fool."

In the silence that follows, she then turns back to the tech-priest. "Explorator Malachi, Mitilin was populated before the existence of the Imperium. If archeotech is to exist, that's where it will be. The cretins on the planet now may not understand it, or how to take advantage of it, but it may still be there."

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:In the silence that follows, she then turns back to the tech-priest. "Explorator Malachi, Mitilin was populated before the existence of the Imperium. If archeotech is to exist, that's where it will be. The cretins on the planet now may not understand it, or how to take advantage of it, but it may still be there."
"I have no desire in conquering Mitilin. If your captain chooses to visit this world, I'll not argue. However, I don't wish for local militia to ambush me while I'm hauling an armful of invaluable tech back to the ship."

"I'd begin work as soon as the surface is clear of any threat to the artifacts, but if your captain wishes to honour this deal and sell arms to fuel the war, or start one of his own, I may be on-board for a while. I'd rather not waste that time."
Ezra
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius stood stone still while the bickering went back and forth, head down staring at the deck. He listened intently to the words of his senior staff, slowly filling with anger. Not a hot violent anger, but a sharp anger, cold like ice. When he spoke, it was barely more than a raspy whisper.

"Enough."

Looking up, his rage filled eyes shot aggressively from one face to another, darting from eye to eye. Now when he spoke, it was with power and authority.

"The Amphaels are a majestic family who explore the stars. The Amphaels are a family of voidfarers and captains stretching back generations. They have brought the Emperors will to many stars that had never known such things. The Amphaels are great."

He stopped momentarily before looking around the group once more.

"The Amphaels are NOT some low life family who takes on contracts due to them being easy and safer. The Amphaels are NOT here to waste our time with tasks that offer no mention other than a foot note on some imperial report." Now his glare landed on his own Seneschal. "But most importantly, the Amphaels are NOT some scum born mule to be used by pretty criminals to spread contraband throughout the mighty Imperium. "

Garrius took a deep breath, allowing his chest to push out as he thought of his next words. He allowed himself to calm down slightly, so his next words were less scything.

"No, we shall not carry these arms, for such a task is below us and this vessel. I will not allow my time as dynasty head to be wasted on petty errands whilst mighty quests laid down by my forebears are on offer. The previous Lord-Captain, my uncle, worked hard to gain us this deal. And what a deal! With such an arrangement I will see this crew be made heroes to the Imperium, taking it to places barely touched by man. By our hand The Invictus Aeterna shall carry us through the void to places where we can really make a difference and remind the Imperium of man why the name Amphael is spoken of only with the utmost respect. So it has been decided, we shall seek out this death world."

He paused to allow it all to set into the crew. He looked over their faces once more and saw many mixed reactions, some gladdened others angry. He settled his look on one Lt Vehle.

"Of course, if there are those amongst us who lack the gall to overcome their cowardice at the prospect of such an undertaking, they are welcome to take their leave immediately and stay here upon Port Wander, to waste away with the rest of the uninspired. So if that is any of you, please, be my guest..." He let the sentence hang, spreading an arm to indicate the exit to the bridge.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea bows to her new Lord-Captain. "We follow where you lead us, my Lord."

Always so cautious,
How our fortunes have dwindled.
Now we'll see some change.

"I'll inform Procurator Felton that his offer was not to your tastes, and then meet you in the Dining Hall to help work out the details with the Alid-Yuril."

Andrea waits for Garrius to dismiss her, then will head to Procurator Felton.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Dark-Kung nods, and smiles slightly. "My Lord-Captain Amphael, I relish the novelty of the life-forms of a death world. This is an excellent challenge....one to which I know the armsmen are equal."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Most of the senior crew present stand firmly to attention as Garrius gives his speech, proclaiming his decision with confidence and dignity.

Andor Feyr nods firmly as Drak-Kung speaks, addressing the Arch-Militant: 'Aye, sir, that we will. You'll have need of some steady hands on Albinus, I'll wager'.

Colonel Eyre smirks with smug self-satisfaction at the news of Garrius's decision. He pointedly looks at Andrea Chan-Gauthier with a sense of triumph. Turning to face Garrius, and standing with perfect military-straightness, he says 'I have every faith in your wisdom, Lord-Captain. It is good to know that the Invictus is under the command of someone who understands a frigate's capabilities'.

Vehle does not alter her stance. Respectfully waiting for enough silence to have passed before speaking up, she addresses the Lord-Captain:

'Since you have made this decision, might I suggest that you discuss this with the representatives of the crew...I mean, if you were to invite the heads of the major clans amongst the crew to explain your decision to them, I am sure that they'll take it better than simply being told that they will be asked to risk their lives and beloved vessel on this venture'.

[OOC - Unless further detained, the crew will return to their stations and go about their duties. Vehle will wait for Garrius to give her an answer. The new arrivals to the crew will be shown to their quarters, though Malachi will be given an opportunity to introduce himself to the Rogue Trader, should he want to do so. Also, that latin phrase means something like 'a captive audience', if I am not mistaken]

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus was entirely unaffected by the Rogue Trader's ire. He found it all rather amusing - like watching miners squabble over some pretty bauble or whore. So he stood silently and listened to the officers waste their energy speaking. Their opinions were entirely irrelevant; all that mattered was whether the Navigator agreed to the venture.

He had already made his mind up.
Garrius Amphael wrote: "The Amphaels are a majestic family who explore the stars. The Amphaels are a family of voidfarers and captains stretching back generations. They have brought the Emperors will to many stars that had never known such things. The Amphaels are great."
At this, the navigator resisted smirking, and instead lit up a cigar in a dismissive gesture. With blue-grey smoke coiling around him, he rolled his eyes and inhaled deeply. "Oh, of course" he muttered under his breath, "the Emperor would be incredibly relieved. His will is transcendant, and suitably so enacted by the Amphaels. And this ship."

Navigator Praetus inhaled deeply again, and stepped forward, standing beside Garrius. "You have the backing of house Praetus. I will endeavour to navigate the ship to its destination." He waved the cigar in the air with a languid gesture and grinned.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Hearing the rest of the crew fall in line, Andrea takes her leave and heads back to where Procurator Felton still awaits.

Doing her best to glide through the halls silently, as her tutors had instructed her, she rounded the final corner towards Felton's location.

"Procurator, the Amphael family thanks you for your clients' consideration in this matter, however we regret to inform you that we will be unable to accept your proposal at this time. We wish you profit in your endeavours, whomever you choose to handle the deliveries."

Return to “Rogue Trader”