World AIDS Day, Dec. 1, 2009

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

World AIDS Day, Dec. 1, 2009

Post by Fire Daughter »

Being my mother's daughter I have taken over her WAD tasks because she can not do it this year.

In 1989 my Uncle Stephen was diagnosed with HIV. Most here know that he recieved tainted blood after a hit and run car accident when he was 13. He was 20 when he found out that that he would eventually get AIDS. Literally, from the moment the diagnosis came down, my mother and uncle became crusaders. Not only to find a way to eliminate the virus, but to help those who were medically and socially ostricized for being inflicted with it. They became members of a group called AmFAR...the American Foundation for AIDS Research, subsequently, they became members of many other groups as well. UNAIDS, AVERT, EJAF, and Bono's ONE Foundation, just to name a few.

Mom and Uncle Steve's first World AIDS Day was in Dec of 1989, a little over a month after his diagnosis. He passed in 2001, but my mother still crusades on. Still helps those who cannot help themselves. Still searches for that elusive way to end HIV and AIDS. Here in America, progress has taken a leap forward, many who have been diagnosis now are living AIDS free lives partly due to the work my mother and Uncle Steve did in the early days. But, the rest of the world, namely countries like South Africa and India, AIDS runs rampant, killing people at an alarming rate. Leaving children orphaned by the millions. I have 2 sisters (3 counting Zia) and 2 brothers who came to us because their biological parents died in Africa from AIDS.

My mother cannot do it this year. So, here I am, along with my brothers and sisters, we have taken up the crusade and on this World AIDS Day, we are on our way to San Francisco, where we will dedicate a patch to the AIDS Quilt in honor of Alex, who came to us and passed on from AIDS this summer.

I post this in memory of my Uncle, Stephen Clarke McKinney. And also in memory of the millions who have been inflicted and have succumbed to AIDS. May their lives not be in vain, and may we yet find a way to eliminate it before it kills more.

World AIDS Day: May it be the last we need to have...
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Amen.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Safe journey, Fire Daughter. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

GO, Kidz, GO!!!!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well done, Brooke.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I have a family member with AIDS who has come home to die more than a handful of times, so I'm glad to see this thread exists this year. :D

It also reminds me of something I was speaking with Furls about a few months ago. Here in NZ, a man who knew he was HIV+ and had unprotected sex with 14 men and women, infecting seven of them, was supposed to appear in court today. He couldn't however as he passed away this morning, cause as yet unknown. Since he was insisting that each opf his victims give their testimony in person, it gives them a small repreive from public humiliation.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Harley Guy
Woodhelvennin

Post by Harley Guy »

Myles, Brooke, Heidi, Jordan, Ryan, Tristan and Micah made it safely to San Francisco.

I'm so proud of my kids....
Your love amazes me.

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Justifiably so. Looking forward to the story of tomorrow's dedication of Alex's swatch in the quilt.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol: Every time one of you lists even some of the kids like that, I think you should just call them your football team instead of your family.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Look! Another milestone in our fight! (I knew about this for about a month, and it's fitting that he chose WAD to make the announcement.)

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091201/ap_on_bi_ge/af_south_africa_aids

All babies testing HIV positive in South Africa will be treated. The great work continues.

And my children, no words can express how proud I am of them. They will continue this fight long after I leave.

I love you, my babies |G
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Great news, Furls!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

One day...
...one day World Aids Day will be a memorial only. With the ceaseless effort of people like Furls Fire and Her Children, I believe that day will be sooner.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:D

Heard from the kids a litle while ago. Jordan's presentation went very well. He says to me on the phone "I didn't cry, Aunt Tracie, I almost did, but I held it together." :)

So proud of my kids. They will be heading home tomorrow morning. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Kids got back safely. As soon as I feel a bit better, I'll attempt to upload pics and the vid so everyone can see how beautifully Jordan did with Alex's dedication.

I'm one proud Mom at the moment. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:thumbsup:
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I decided to bump up this thread and put it here.

Annie Lennox on the changing faces of HIV/AIDS:

www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/13/annie.len ... l?hpt=Sbin
Watch Annie Lennox on "Amanpour" at 2100 CET Sunday on CNN International, at 2 p.m. ET Sunday on CNN, or podcast @ amanpour.com/podcast.

(CNN) -- Singer and activist Annie Lennox wants the world to know that the HIV virus and the debilitating condition it causes, AIDS, are the leading killers of women of reproductive age in the world.

"The world needs to wake up and realize that the HIV/AIDS pandemic has changed its face since the 1980s. It has been affecting women and children at an enormous rate," Lennox told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in an interview aired Friday.

"As a woman and a mother myself, I want to contribute to keeping this issue on the table. HIV is invisible," she added.

"You have swine flu, you have bird flu, and everybody is up in arms. But this has been a killer for years and it's not getting any better."

Lennox this month went to the United Nations headquarters in New York to help launch a five-year action plan to provide recommendations on how to address the disproportionate impact of HIV/AIDS on women and girls worldwide.

Health officials acknowledge that great strides have been made addressing HIV/AIDS as a whole. But they say when it comes to women and girls, the world has made little progress.

Lennox said her intention is not to shock, but to break stigmas on the subject, by using the power of her music.

"Music is a great vehicle for communications, and I have a certain platform. I have an opportunity and I have to take it," she said. "As a woman, and as a mother and as an artist, it's something that I feel compelled to do. Otherwise it would be a complete waste."

Lennox said she has been very focused on this issue since she heard former South African President Nelson Mandela describe HIV/AIDS as "genocide" in 2003.

"To hear Mandela describe the HIV pandemic as a genocide really almost knocked me off my chair," she said.

"You know in South Africa, post-apartheid, one in every three pregnant women is carrying HIV. That is hugely significant. If they don't have intervention, the baby will be born with the virus. That baby will probably last, maybe a year."

Lennox added that a woman is raped every minute in South Africa, a country that is believed to have more people infected with HIV/AIDS than any other nation.

"You're seeing women especially, and young girls and young children, right at the front of the devastation. And it breaks my heart."

Asked whether she thinks the next generation will take up the HIV/AIDS issue as energetically as she has, Lennox said, "Unless people campaign in civil society, unless governments and leaderships campaign and keep the issue on the table, it's very hard to say."
The more we speak out, the more information is spread. And the more ammo we have to fight this.
For Myles--
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks for the article, Fire Daughter. I really had no idea the HIV epidemic was affecting women to such a degree, but there's kind of a sad logic to it once I think about it - the situation in Africa.
Angel Daughter
Servant of the Land

Post by Angel Daughter »

In between final exams I was looking at the internet and saw this on Yahoo. This is the type of thing that used to set my mother's teeth on edge.

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100317/hl_nm/us_insurers

I will not quote the whole artical, but the jest of it is, in 2001 Fortis, who is the parent company for Assuarance Health dropped a then 17 year old college student from coverage after he was diagnosed HIV positive. He took them to court (GO JEROME!) and won. By doing this, he made it possible to discover that they had drop quite a few other people who were HIV positive as well.

Our mother worked so very hard against such injustices, and I intend to keep fighting as well.

The promise was when everything fell, we'd be held...

I love and miss you, Mom.
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

Looks like Heidi beat me to it.
For Myles--
To make you feel my love

For Mom--