No gays in the land?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I believe that in the Land 'gayness' or 'straightness' assumes exactly the same degree of importance that it should in our world ie none. It is thus no more necessary of mention about an individual than say the shape of his fingernails or the size of his ankles.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
rmoro
Servant of the Land

Post by rmoro »

In the Land there is n´t that kind of Phenomenon.
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Of course there were gay people in the land. It wasn't worth mentioning because it has nothing to do with the story. people went to the bathroom too, but is there a need to mention it?

Only in our world do we feel a need to put labels on people or people telling you they have a label.
You judge too quickly giant
Nekrimah
Servant of the Land

Post by Nekrimah »

Well, there's Amok. He sparkles and has gay hair.

And he's young-looking. That's a big plus. ;)
Amok sparkled with eagerness; visions seemed to caper in his gay hair.
In answer, Amok bowed, shaking his head so that his gay hair danced like laughter about his head.
-The Illearth War-
Did I mention he sparkles?

But is you're looking for a slashable relationship, you might try writing a fanfic of Hearthralls Tohrm x Borillar.
At this, Borillar's dispassion broke into a look of wide pleasure. Arm in arm, he and Tohrm left the tower, followed by the other Hirebrands and Gravelingases.
-The Power That Preserves-
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Nekrimah wrote: Image
Holy Perkele, Amok's a vampire! 8O

If I'd have to pick someone who gave the impression of preferring men to women, I'd say Mhoram. Yet since slash isn't really my thing, not rushing to type 100 pages of hawt TC/Mhoram/Sparkly!Amok OT3 yaoi upon this discovery. ;)
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Aren't the three ravers Foul's bitches? They're all male-ish I think.

Also there are the sparkly merewives who are all obviously lesbians.

Come to think of it all the arguleh we met were smooching their male mates on the neck the whole time.
Spoiler
And of course we mustn't forget the love-hate relationship Esmer had with the Demondim-spawn.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Shoe,
Spoiler
That gives the shackles a whole new meaning 8O
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Nekrimah
Servant of the Land

Post by Nekrimah »

Zorm wrote:
Nekrimah wrote: Image
Holy Perkele, Amok's a vampire! 8O

If I'd have to pick someone who gave the impression of preferring men to women, I'd say Mhoram. Yet since slash isn't really my thing, not rushing to type 100 pages of hawt TC/Mhoram/Sparkly!Amok OT3 yaoi upon this discovery. ;)
I had to look up "OT3" :biggrin:

You're actually more familiar with this than I am!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

:lol: Ahem. When you've spent considerable amounts of time in fanfic/fanart circles, the 'terminology' sticks in your mind, no matter what tosh you actually like to read or write yourself.
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Aren't the three ravers Foul's bitches? They're all male-ish I think.
This gives a whole new dimension to the concepts of "fleshharrower" and "satansfist"... *shudder*

Sorry. :biggrin:
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Khazduk wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote:Aren't the three ravers Foul's bitches? They're all male-ish I think.
This gives a whole new dimension to the concepts of "fleshharrower" and "satansfist"... *shudder*

Sorry. :biggrin:

8O lol
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

[Syl] wrote:If I were doing a queer theory critical analysis of Covenant, though, I'd spend a lot of time talking about the Findail/Vain relationship.
I wish I could page-number cite the scene on Starfare's Gem where Vain stares sorta lustily at the mast that Findail is hiding in or w/e (that's what went down then, yeah?), but I can more than wish to cite another passage supporting the thesis I'm about to argue for:
"Do not believe that you will win my heart with bravery." (White Gold Wielder, 330)
That's Findail to Vain, when the former (I still don't quite get why) heals the latter after the battle with the warped ur-viles.

The ur-viles are defined as unnatural, as are the Waynhim. Neither of these forms of life can naturally replicate themselves. The Elohim can be seen by way of their name and demeanor as a covert representation of religiously arrogant attitudes, including the idea of "what's natural." Irrespective of their lack of normal procreative structure, Vain and Findail are clearly called "he" and "him" and so on throughout the text. IMHO, then, Vain may be read as the "gay guy" in the Land. Which is to say, SRD may be implicitly conveying the notion that whether or not being gay is "natural," it can still very well be right. QED
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

"Forsooth," responded Pitchwife with a light chuckle. "Had this Demondim-spawn not been gifted to the ur-Lord by a Giant, I would fear he means to ravish the maidenhood of our foremast." p. 172, hardcover.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

Zorm wrote:"Forsooth," responded Pitchwife with a light chuckle. "Had this Demondim-spawn not been gifted to the ur-Lord by a Giant, I would fear he means to ravish the maidenhood of our foremast." p. 172, hardcover.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Gracias. :biggrin:

I wish I could read something into Vain's name being what it is, but as yet no dice. (But all the Vile-related names confuse me.)
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Was Kevin gay?

Why did Kevin not have any kids? He was the longest lived of the Old Lords, and surely he had enough time to start a family. I do not remember coming across anything that mentioned a lover (male or female) for Kevin. I just think it is weird.

But Foul called him fey and anile (and gutless). Fey can mean "excessively refined" or "quaintly unconventional"--precious and/or odd. Anile means "resembling a doddering old woman"....

But I do have a theory. Maybe Kevin was gay, and maybe that is how Foul got so close to him, and was able to sneak his evilness under the radar...he blinded Kevin with love/lust?
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:Was Kevin gay?

Why did Kevin not have any kids? He was the longest lived of the Old Lords, and surely he had enough time to start a family. I do not remember coming across anything that mentioned a lover (male or female) for Kevin. I just think it is weird.

But Foul called him fey and anile (and gutless). Fey can mean "excessively refined" or "quaintly unconventional"--precious and/or odd. Anile means "resembling a doddering old woman"....

But I do have a theory. Maybe Kevin was gay, and maybe that is how Foul got so close to him, and was able to sneak his evilness under the radar...he blinded Kevin with love/lust?
Oddly enough, I wrote an incomplete fanfic with precisely this premise (among others), only Kevin was in love with one of the Haruchai.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

If Kevin were gay why would we not have been told so? If the answer to this were to be potential prejudice in the day, then why would SRD not have revealed the fact in the GI since (ala JKR in the case of Dumbledore) - it would be a good way of displaying his credentials in this 'PC' obsessed world we live in. It wouldn't alter my feelings about Kevin, the books or life in general if it were true - I just don't think there is any evidence to suggest he was.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sherman Landlearner
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Sherman Landlearner »

Um... Why care? To me, this is like DC's repeated sexuality changes. I don't give a crap if my hero is doing a goat, a girl, a guy, or... a whatever as related to the story. So what? Sexuality has little to do with most well adjusted people. for TC, his sexuality matters more, mostly because of his leprosy. The physical effects are well known, but the mental are varied. But all the physical effects deny any expression of our baser instincts. You become too weak and distorted to fight. You can't feel enough to reproduce. In essence, these instincts are the foundation of TC's mind, like anyone, and leprosy removes them. His issues in the Land arise majorly from the fact that he remains sane without his foundation. But if you pull the foundation from a house, it falls, right? Assuming, by some miracle, it survived, it'd be unsteady, fragile, and probably have shifted in odd ways. But if you tried to shove the foundation back where it was, you'd be ripping the house apart to do so. This is what Foul tries to do to TC, thinking that eventually, he'll be unable to cope, and give up to spare his sanity. Or at least, that an insane TC could be easier tricked.
I’m not afraid of Death. What’s he going to do, kill me?
THOOLAH! THOOLAH! THOOLAH!
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Sherman Landlearner wrote:Um... Why care? To me, this is like DC's repeated sexuality changes. I don't give a crap if my hero is doing a goat, a girl, a guy, or... a whatever as related to the story. So what? Sexuality has little to do with most well adjusted people.
I simply can't help but wonder why the lineage of the Old Lords (Berek through Kevin) stopped. I never thought about it before, it was just something I picked up on recently on a re-read. When Foul referred to Kevin as "fey and anile"...I realized I didn't know what they meant. So I looked them up, and those terms could suggest Kevin's gayness.

I don't really care whether he was or not.

I prefer to think that he had a wife and lost her in an accident or maybe even he lost both wife and child during childbirth. Or something like that. It sort of adds to the tragedy of Kevin. Of course there is no mention of a wife or kid, so that is just me indulging myself.

There *is* mention, however, of Kevin being fey and anile. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else ever saw things that way.

And just to lay it all on the table, I posted my original post whilst reading LFB, and now I am reading TIW....And in Book Two, Covenant refers to *himself* ( 8O ) as acting fey and anile:
The resolve he had displayed to Mhoram, his determination to survive, seemed pretentious--fey and anile.
So I believe it is safe to say that SRD did *not* mean that Kevin was gay when Foul referred to him as fey and anile.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

My dictionary (Collins) gives suprising definitions of fey and anile - the first as being attuned or interested in the supernatural or (primarily scottish usage) a state of hyperexitement [often preceeding death]. Anile is described as meaning like a feeble old woman. Neither conjours up much idea of 'gayness' to me (but seeing as how I had completely the wrong idea of what the words meant anyway my oppinion isn't worth a sixpence anyway :lol: )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”