Rogue Trader - The Passage

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: As he closed the door of his bunk, he let out a brief sigh, before making his way to the bridge.
The hot blast of air gusting from cooling fans assails Malachi as he leaves the sanctity of his bunker. The heat from the Jovian Class Plasma Drives seems almost overpowering, once regulated temperatures are left behind. Too used to the duties of a tech-priest, the Explorator is not left at discomfort for long.

He rushes through the network of tunnels in the engines, sometimes squeezing past the crew in narrow apertures. He passes a group of enginseers offering supplications to the Machine Spirit. One tends a data console with an arm appended by metallic tendrils. The smell of sacred unguents is fresh in the air, not yet overpowered by the fumes from the plasma drives.

Cancerous and hairless ratings run, clamber, and crawl to their action stations.

Navigating the engine tunnels quickly is a challenge, and Malachi only manages to enter the main section of the ship after five minutes. He is about to proceed to the bridge when he realises, being new to the vessel, he is not entirely sure of his bearings...
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The Invictus Aeterna lies becalmed in the Immaterium. Beyond the safety of the Geller Fields, the Warp begins to lash and caress. The howling of irreal fury grows.

A squall surges against the Invictus, and the sudden tide of Empyrean currents are enough to free the ancient vessel from its languishment. The vessel faces at an angle from the gathering storm, while a dark tempest rushes ever closer.

The Geller Fields crackle, but hold strong.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:He is about to proceed to the bridge when he realises, being new to the vessel, he is not entirely sure of his bearings...
I ask the nearest knowledgeable, and coherent person directions to the bridge.

Malachi heads in the general direction of the bridge, and mutters "At least I'm not the only poor navigator on this vessel."
Ezra
Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

"Take every fourth man from the odd-numbered teams, until Damage Control is up to 75% strength. ONLY from odd-numbered teams, understand? We dare not weaken our defenses any further...it does no good to extinguish the flames if the Warp's demons run unchecked throughout the ship."

resume running to bridge
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Injerian Praetus II wrote: Navigator Praetus replied with a cool voice. "I am more than certain, Amphael; having spent more time than what this emergency dictates, I have found an area of real-space that is safe. I will send your pilot the co-ordinates."
As the Senior Navigator is mid-sentence - and while the crew listen intently over vox-com to every word he says, navigator Gulliame Du Preste enters the bridge. With haste, he is rushed up the stairs to the Lord-Captain's vantage point.

Shadows fall upon the navigator's jaw line. The rest of his face lies in the darkness of his cowl.

Garrius quickly explains why the former Acting Senior Navigator has been summoned to the bridge.

'My lord-captain,' Du Preste begins, drawing himself close enough to speak in hushed tones.

[refer to your PM]

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius listened to Du Preste quietly. Once the old navigator had finished he nodded, seemingly lost in thought for a moment. He was at a cross roads. The decision he made here could very well mean the end of the ship and its crew. He could not begin to comprehend the situation they were in, only the navigators were capable of such understanding of the warp and its mysteries.

Snapping out of it he leaned forward, thumbing his intercom with the navigator. "Injerian, whilst I respect your opinion of leaving the Immaterium, I am fearful of losing touch with the Astronomicon. We are going to attempt to outrun this storm. I would like you to focus on finding us currents that take us away and around the storm. I doubt I need to press the urgency of this upon you. And Praetus, watch that holy beacon and keep it bright, our souls are in your hands." He completed his transmission.

Standing and walking up next to Tyor, placing a hand on his shoulder as he operated the wheel. "Leftenant, you feel that current? It would appear we are no longer becalmed. All ahead full and prepare to change heading on Praetus's command." The Lord Captain turned and mounted the steps back up to his seat, addressing the bridge staff.

"Gentlemen, it is time to see how well this ancient vessel holds herself. We must outrun this storm, and I expect you all to uphold yourselves in a manner befitting of officers. I will allow no fear to take control of our situation, for I fear only two things; The divine Emperors wraith and failing the dynasty. I intend to face neither today. So Gentlemen, let us out ride this storm."

Taking a seat, Garrius looked around the busy bridge crew, his crew. How he hoped he had not failed them.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The first of the storm lashes the Invictus. The Geller Fields surge and crackle. Currents in the Immaterium chop savagely, buffetting the frigate and making the crew unsteady on their feet.

Tyor spins the wheel and begins to steer by instinct, waiting intently for more concrete directions from Praetus.

Garrius catches a glimpse of Du Preste, leaning against the railing of the Lord-Captain's level, and staring into the tumult. His skull-visage makes it difficult to distinguish exression from his hideous appearance, but Garrius is certain that navigator Du Preste grins with satisfaction.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:"Take every fourth man from the odd-numbered teams, until Damage Control is up to 75% strength. ONLY from odd-numbered teams, understand? We dare not weaken our defenses any further...it does no good to extinguish the flames if the Warp's demons run unchecked throughout the ship."
'Yes, sir!'

The sergeant runs to the nearest vox-com. Corporal Greder allows the lift doors to shut, and soon you are ascending to the command decks. Using an over-ride on the lift controls, Greder is able to ensure that the lift does not stop to allow any new passengers on board.

[You will arrive on the bridge just after Garrius's latest announcement. Just as the first of the storm is striking the Invictus]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Montresor wrote:'Perhaps we may not need the field to fail'. Julient leans back and talks just loudly enough so that others may hear her. 'This tempest may tear the Invictus to nothing if we are caught in its reach. We must stay ahead of the storm, or we are lost'.
Andrea speaks clearly, so that everyone can hear, though not raising her voice in a shout. "The Emperor has seen fit to provide us with a new Lord-Captain and a new Navigator. We must trust that they will be able to keep us from the worst of the storm's fury." Then, pitched lower for Julient's ears only, "Is your presence required on the bridge? We certainly welcome your help here, but the ship's needs must come first."

I have no other actions to take. Keep the group focused and stave off panic. And otherwise, wait for something to happen until some kind of announcement is made that we're out of danger.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: "Is your presence required on the bridge? We certainly welcome your help here, but the ship's needs must come first."
Julient shakes her head. 'It would be unfortunate should something destroy the bridge, but it is possible. With all of the navigators eliminated in one blow, you would all be as good as dead. I will stay here, and minimise the risk'.

[Try to think of safety measures or other such actions Andrea might order. These could be important in case of any disasters. Otherwise, I will leave you to your own devices for the time being]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Julient wrote:I will stay here, and minimise the risk'.
"Then we are most grateful for your presence."
Montresor wrote:[Try to think of safety measures or other such actions Andrea might order. These could be important in case of any disasters. Otherwise, I will leave you to your own devices for the time being]
"Ladies and gentlemen, please remember that this is the ship's Librarium. As much as possible, please try NOT to damage the works. Many of these are extremely rare." She paused, "In fact, all Librarium scribes, let's take a few moments to move things out of the way, so they are not damaged in... whatever is about to happen."

As the scribes start to get to work, Andrea stands by the railing on the upper level directing people. "Move the display case back against that wall, Michael." "Place the scrolls lower to the floor, please. Keep them out of the line of fire."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: "At least I'm not the only poor navigator on this vessel."
Having received serviceable directions to the bridge, Malachi makes his way by the most direct route. Several times he is forced to stop as teams of Armsmen rush down corridors, hauling damage repair equipment. At one point, he is stopped at a junction by a group of dust-swathed ratings in torn clothes. They jabber in an incomprehensible dialect and touch the explorator's red robes, kissing and clasping the material. With some difficulty, and as the ship begins to rock slightly, Malachi is free and continues to the bridge.

[Finally, you will reach the central lift well, and will be able to proceed to the bridge. Your entire journey to the bridge will have taken just over ten minutes. By the time you reach the bridge, the ship will be changing facing, shaking slightly under the onset of the storm]

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Sitting on the chair with hands clenching the arm rests, Praetus was silent and terrified. He could not understand the Amphael's decision, and he fought every urge to scream at him over the vox. If anything did happen, it was the rogue trader's fault, not his. Which made it worse; the senior navigator knew how to save the ship, but this was denied to him.

So Praetus opened his third eye to witness the Immaterium and guide the Invictus Aeterna. The storm was already lashing the Gellar Field - a purple bruise livid with energy, hate and hunger, boiling and rushing at the ship. The Astronomican was a weak, fitful light, and it took all of the navigator's will and skill to keep it within his sight. Without conscious thought, he then began entering data into the arm-rest keypad, which was relayed to the bridge. Although his fingers danced over the keys rapidly, their movements were fevered and jittered.

Praetus was terrified.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Garrius Amphael wrote: Garrius's head snapped to face Zarkov. "Lt Commander, order all crew to brace for impact of the storm and report to emergency stations. Have Drak Kung prepare emergency crews and have that new tech priest report to the bridge immediately."
"Sir."

Zarkov remained tight lipped on the bridge, voxcasting commands in terse, clipped sentences. He had been through warp storms in the navy of course, but one now, so early in the piece, cast a shadow over the rest of the journey. In truth travelling through the Immaterium always discomforted Zarkov, it was a blasphemous place, and reeked of chaos. Zarkovs muttered litanies grew in fervor as the situation worsened, becoming loud enough to be heard by the crew on the bridge.

Zarkov awaited the arrival of Malachi with baited breath. He knew that Drak-kungs men would be no help if the Geller fields failed, and hoped the Tech-Priest could soothe the ships aggravated machine-spirit.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Empyrean power bleeds through Immaterial currents and whips at the Invictus. The edge of the Storm hits with terrible strength, crashing again and again into the Geller Fields. Treacherous eddies and squalls of blasphemous fury are brought into being with the onset of the tempest. The dull howling of the storm can be just heard from beyond the last wall of reality shielding the Invictus.

Yet, the Invictus cuts through the infernal tides. Ancient and holy power of lost technology humms within her sacred hull. The mighty vessel surges through the storm, steered desperately against the accursed force threatening to engulf her at every moment.

[Rolled a series of five tests for Praetus and applied the results to tests by Tyor. The end result effects the ability of the Invictus to outpace the storm. Of five tests so far, two were succesful, though no failures have been serious]

The Invictus falls to just within the edge of the howling mass of the Warp Storm. Seen from within the bridge, the fields darken and ripple. At times they surge and crackle against the unreal tide; at times they are enveloped by unnatural colours, half-forming visions and shapes.

Praetus never stops concentrating against the darkness, holding his will together despite the supreme exertion. Tyor stumbles as the ship is pushed from side to side, yet he steers the frigate with indomitable fervour. For the present, all lives rest within the hands of these two men.

A comms officer tears their head piece from their ear and rises in shock. The storm surges at the Geller Fields again, and the crew shake violently in their seats. The comms officer is forced over the railing, screaming. Vehle, also unseated, almost follows the man to his death. As the Invictus rights herself, Vehle takes the dead officer's place.

Moments later, she is on the vox-comm, loudly broadcasting: 'Amphael - we have a problem. The signal - the signal from the main broadcasting tower is dead. It's nothing but Vox-Shadows...I can hear you from two hours ago. If we don't fix the tower, the whole comm system will be down in twenty minutes!'

[This is the second last shift of the 'day'. All characters have been awake for some time, and the constant action in the storm is testing everyone's endurance. Characters may still act without penalty for the time being. Garrius, Praetus, and Tyor have been on deck longer than the others. Roughly Two and a Half Hours have passed since the storm began]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:[Finally, you will reach the central lift well, and will be able to proceed to the bridge. Your entire journey to the bridge will have taken just over ten minutes. By the time you reach the bridge, the ship will be changing facing, shaking slightly under the onset of the storm]
Malachi makes his way to the base of Amphael's command chair, servo-skull gliding quickly behind him.

"Captain, I cannot guarantee that I can help anymore than the other tech priests, but I will certainly try."
Ezra
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Several hours after first stumbling upon the storm, Garrius sat in his chair on the bridge, chin in hand. They weren't any closer to escaping its grasp and it was only a matter of time before the strain took its toll on the men.

He also still wasn't convinced he had made the right decision, but he was committed now and would see it through.

"Mister Zarkov" He said suddenly, turning to his first mate and second in command."Have the current watch scaled down to 66%, with four hour turn around's. We could be on the run from this storm for quite some time so I want every man and woman rested. Have all essential staff on alert and prepared to return to station asap whilst on their rest period. You take the first rest period. Be prepared to take the helm upon your return. But first, send the senior tech priest here along with some of his men and some security personnel to go fix the problem with the coms as soon as possible. Have the security personnel keep the bridge up to date with constant reports. "

His orders issued, Garrius turned to his Vox unit and thumbed it on to speak to Praetus. "Your doing well Lord Navigator. Continue on as you are and we shall soon all be free from this vile storm."

[ooc] Id like to impart my leadership bonus upon Praetus for now please. [/ooc]
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Garrius Amphael wrote: But first, send the senior tech priest here along with some of his men and some security personnel to go fix the problem with the coms as soon as possible. Have the security personnel keep the bridge up to date with constant reports. "[/i]
"Sir, yes Sir."

He walked over to Malachi's side, and lowered his voice. "Exalted Tech-priest, the captain requests your presence at the communications arrays. Your mechanicus brethren are also requested."

After making sure the bridge was secure, Zarkov retired to his quarters for some much needed rest. He opened one of the bottles of amasec in his officers stash and took a long swig of the calming liquor. The swirling, treacherous eddies of the warp surrounded him as he tried to sleep.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:He walked over to Malachi's side, and lowered his voice. "Exalted Tech-priest, the captain requests your presence at the communications arrays. Your mechanicus brethren are also requested."
"Very well."

Malachi turns to one of the tech priests nearby, and motions for him to lead the way to the Communication Arrays.
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi makes all haste to the Mark-100 Auger Array, fortunately located only a short distance from the command section. The Auger Array lies at the highest point upon the Invictus, just above the Chapel to the God Emperor.

As Malachi passes the Chapel, he notes that there is a growing crowd of men, women, and children at the base of the stairs to the great doors. For some unknown reason, the doors to the Chapel are sealed.

The explorator promptly arrives at the Auger Array. The structure is tall, though the width of floor space is no larger than an average room. Numerous machines hum and throb with ancient knowledge, tended to by a small group of junior officers, ratings, and a single tech priest. There is no more than a score of people here. Ladders and stairs make ascent to higher levels of the tower possible.

With no delay, Malachi is prevailed upon by a young officer. The man explains to him the situation at hand. His tension is evident.

According to the officer, damage sustained in the storm so far has caused the central comms spire to break free. A knot of cables currently hold the spire, saving it from completely tearing loose and either being lost in the Immaterium, or crashing back onto the frigate and possibly causing great harm. If this was not worrying enough, the spire is drifting to edge of the cable's reach and back; a few times, the tip of the spire has broken through the Geller Field. Every time that has occured, unsettling transmissions have been heard through the static.

The situation is serious and there are few options. It may be possible to re-attach the spire, or at least fasten it so that it probably won't break free. Alternatively, the cable could be severed and the spire allowed to break off. Without the spire intact, the Auger Array will be completely useless, and the Invictus will completely lose its vox systems. However, to either re-attach or sever the spire, someone will have to don a void-suit and traverse the exterior of the frigate . . .

Return to “Rogue Trader”