Rogue Trader - The Passage

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Turning her head at the last moment, Andrea feels the las-blast glance off her face. Her flesh burns as the shot sears across flesh.

[Andrea has 1 Wound left]
Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: From behind cover, Andrea shouts, "Whoah! Midshipman, STAND DOWN. That's an order!"

[We'll go with a very unlikely Command check]

Andrea tries to check on Ursus' progress towards getting the door locked, hoping that the archivist hadn't needed to seek cover as well.
[A very near fail on the Command Check, however, the midshipman has taken the opportunity to parley, having thought for a moment that he had killed you]

Above, in the central stairwell, Ursus creeps towards the main entrance.

'Don't move!' Trone cries. He lies behind a large pile of books, obscured from vision, though evidently pointing his gun towards Ursus. His breath hisses out in agony.

'So - Seneschal! You were after more control on the Dynasty. Is that why you colluded to have Laurent murdered? Now you're trying to kill me so that Garrius can't see who his enemies are. You should have just destroyed the book and saved yourself this trouble'.
Last edited by Montresor on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius let the body of the fallen armsmen slide off his blade. Wincing from pain from the cut on his side, he took stock of the situation. His group had made relatively short work of the traitorous ratings. He could see his Lord Navigator on the floor, head exposed. Having heard many stories of what befalls a man who looks into the horrid third eye Garrius turned his head to the side.

"Come Praetus, the floor is no place for a Lord." Garrius offered the navigator a hand, and pulled him to his feet.

Turning to his men, Garrius pointed down the access tunnel.

"See men, these heretics bleed and die like any other! Now let us take the fight to them and show that those faithful to the Emperor will not stand idle whilst heresy takes place upon our ship." He raised his sword and thrust it down the tunnel. "Now Come! For the Amphaels! For the Invictus Aeterna! FOR THE EMPEROR!!!!!"

Garrius haistfully made way down the dark tunnel towards whatever awaited him.
Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Undaunted by the flames, Drak-Kung stands resolute and shoots at the pyromaniacal psyker. For the flames can but consume his body....the wych's cult imperils the very soul.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Montresor wrote:'So - Seneschal! You were after more control on the Dynasty. Is that why you colluded to have Laurent murdered? Now you're trying to kill me so that Garrius can't see who his enemies are. You should have just destroyed the book and saved yourself this trouble'.
Andrea tries to muster the energy to be offended by the man's accusations, though her whole being just wanted to hide for a few months and heal. "Colluded? What are you talking about? Why would I destroy a book in my own Librarium? Why would I murder Laurent, he saved my whole family from damnation?"

"Midshipman, you are attempting to leave the Librarium with a restricted and valuable tome, during a Warp Storm, while a Wych is staging an uprising below and supposedly turning some of the crew to her side. By your own admission just now, that book has nothing to do with official Navigator business, which I doubted before, since I'd just come from the bridge where the Navigator gave no indication of needing reference material. Do not try to hide your infraction with baseless accusations on me. Stand down, relinquish your weapon, and surrender both that tome and yourself for discipline. If you do so now without further violence, I swear I'll do my best to have you granted leniency for cooperating."

"Further, I've already sent word to the bridge of your attempt and your claim of Navigator business, and I expect that guards will be along any moment to detain you. It will go much better for you if you're not in the middle of combat when they get here. I assure you that while I'm no soldier, I can at least force your retreat from this room to be slow and cautious, so that you'll encounter them before you reach safety."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Risking his life to fire from Andrea's Hellpistol, midshipman Trone stands to his feet, now only partly obscured by the pile of books and shelving. His laspistol is still trained on Ursus, who makes no move to the door, though Trone watches the Seneschal. Why he stood up and jeapordised his life is not clear, but it may perhaps have been to read the Seneschal's face for a bluff.

'The book is navigator business - particularly the business of the only member of that group who can be trusted. If you've sent for guards and you get the wrong ones, this won't end well for either of us - assuming you're not lieing about not being involved in this . . . conspiracy.

'I've taken every official measure to retrieve this book, and I've broken no rule or regulation. I'll be found blameless, Madam-Seneschal. Do you really want the new Rogue Trader to hear about how you stopped him from finding out why Laurent was murdered? How about this - you let me go with the book and I'll write an official report about your cooperation'.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea sees the injured man stand, and though she doesn't step out from behind her cover, she does shift so that her entire face is visible to him as she says:

"Midshipman, at this point I am tired and hurt, and in no mood for this foolishness. I do not know if you're telling the truth about your business, about this supposed conspiracy, or about the contents of that book. But I do know this: I had no part in Laurent's death. I also know that my loyalty is to the Amphael family, which is defined by the Emperor's Holy Writ to be Garrius Amphael and anyone he chooses to put in carge of me. By extension, even *IF* there was a conspiracy which lead to Laurent's death, and further that if Garrius was involved in such a conspiracy (which I do not believe to be the case), my loyalty would still fall to Garrius Amphael as the rightful head of the Amphael family. And if such a conspiracy exists and Garrius were not a part of it, then he himself may well be in danger, and it is my duty... in fact all of our duties, to root it out and crush it."

She keeps a cautious eye on him during all this, ready to fling herself aside in case his weapon turns towards her.

"Now, I did not intend for this to escalate to a shooting match." She seemed almost embarrassed. "I'm willing to accep that we're both a bit on edge from the Warp Storm, and that we both took things a bit too far. That said, something struck me as off about you reading that book, at this time, in this situation, and I wished to corraborate your credentials. Clearly I was right. So, if you don't mind, let's stop further damaging my Librarium, and settle this peacefully."

[At this point, Andrea will choose dodging or hiding to breaking cover in order to shoot back. She'll still fire if backed into a corner, but otherwise is more likely to try to save herself from harm than to further attack Trone.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus was pulled to his feet by the Amphael, and he closed his third eye immediately. Quickly finding his cap, he covered his forehead and turned to face the rogue trader. The navigator was at a loss for words, for the man had treated, and spoken to, him with respect. A kin . . . he was a noble, too.

"Thank you, Lord Amphael," Praetus said with a serious expression.

Garrius rushed down the tunnel with his men, sword raised and command radiating from him like a light. Praetus grinned, gripped his hellpistol and rushed after the noble.

"For Holy Terra!" he yelled.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The midshipman listens intently to every word Andrea has to say. He watches her eyes for some time after she has stopped speaking.

[Failed charm test for Andrea]

'I'd like to believe you, Chan-Gauthier, but I'd be doing a disservice to the Dynasty if I followed a gut instinct. Maybe I'd feel differently if you hadn't pulled that gun on me, but this whole thing reeks of conspiracy. I'm taking the book and leaving. Anyone here tries to stop me and I'll assume they're traitors'. Trone nods to his pistol for emphasis.

[The midshipman will collect the book and leave, unless you try to stop him physically. He can no longer be swayed by reason]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[SUB-LEVEL 12]

Gunfire erupts in concert with the lick of flames throughout the narrow confines of the Bilge Decks. Men die screaming, rent by bullet-holes and las-blasts, or reduced to blackened-husks by Warp-born fire.

As Garrius leads his charge, Drak-Kung takes on the unrestrained psykic terror of a Wych by himself.

In Access Tunnel D, a torrent of bullets and las-blasts pour into First Squad, in a desperate bid to stop the barricades from being stormed.

[Turn 11-12: Garrius is hit no less than five times - three autogun bullets and two las blasts. The remaining devotees of Myrkyris unleash full-auto assaults on First Squad. Amazingly, not a single shot penetrates Garrius's stalwart armour. As First Squad reaches the barricades, a final wave of fire sweeps through them. Praetus and Clabo duck from the fire, but Garrius and an Armsman are both clipped by autogun bullets. Garrius suffers 4 Wounds damage as a bullet lodges in between his ribs. The las-gun of one of the two remaining foes jams.

Drak-Kung leaps to his feet and sends a hail of bolt-shells at Myrkris. The shots miss and the Wych darts down the corridor in the direction of the main access tunnel. Drak-Kung jumps over the burning remains of a squadmate, alone in his pursuit. Dripping flame sears through his armour, inflicting 4 Wounds damage.

Turns 13 - 15: Garrius, Praetus, and First Squad try to push over the barricades, while the two maddened ratings fight desperately to stop them. In the darkness beyond, a strange waist height contraption pulses with sick energy. Praetus manages to fire a shot off before the crowding intereferes with his aim, though his fatigue unsteadies his hand and he misses. Swinging back as widely as he is able, Garrius hacks with fury, caving in the face of the rating armed with the autogun. Blood explodes all over the dripping walls. Moments later, the last rating is overwhelmed and beaten to death by two Armsmen from First Squad.

Drak-Kung follows on the heels of Myrkris, his bolts exploding grates about the Wych. Myrkris rushes to the mysterious contraption in the central access point behind the barricades, attempting to intensify its pulsing. A bolt from Drak-Kung's pistols ruptures her side, spitting blood and gore. In a rage, the Wych unleashes a wave of fire on the Arch-Militant. The Wyche's power diminished, Drak-Kung nonetheless feels flames sear through his armour and he suffers 5 Wounds. Badly hurt, Drak-Kung shoots one final time. Before flames obscure his vision, forcing him to back down the corridor, Drak-Kung hears Myrkris scream. A bolt impacts with her neck, exlpoding, and half forcing her head from her shoulders. Her distorted, wickedly-lit features contort in agony, her head falling backwards. Blood and gore smacks the ceiling before a pillar of black fire consumes her body. There is a disembodied shriek from the Wych and, an instant later, her smouldering skeleton collapses into ruins
]

After the battle is over, the remnants of the Armsmen assemble in the corridor, by the blackened bones of Myrkris, and the strange, pulsing device. The mysterious piece of technology stands on a short tripod, and ends in five small towers, each being licked by green electrical charges. A control panel is attached to the summit of the tripod.

Waves of nausea wrack the survivors. There is little doubt that the source of their discomfort is the strange device. Besides Garrius, Praetus, Drak-Kung, and Clabo, only nine Armsmen still live. Inexplicably, many of the Armsmen became crazed during the battle and turned on each other. In the back-rooms of the sub-level, the evidence of much slaughter is obvious. It is impossible to tell upon which side most of the corpses fought, and at what stage in the last hours they did. Including armsmen, ratings, the recent battle, and two messenger children, there appears to be almost three-score dead in the eerie quiet of Sub-Level 12.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea stares at the Midshipman for a moment, but doesn't raise her weapon again. Trone moves to exit the Librarium, being forced to divide his attention between Andrea and navigating to the door (including going up the spiral staircase). Andrea waits for a moment when she thinks Trone is distracted and also in an easier place for her to shoot him, then quickly raises her weapons and fires.

Quietly, almost under her breath, she says "If I let you walk out of here with that book, I really would be a traitor. Better to die fighting for the Amphaels than be executed as a coward."

[No fate points left, and only one wound left. I'm accepting suggestions for my NEXT character if this doesn't work out.]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: Quietly, almost under her breath, she says "If I let you walk out of here with that book, I really would be a traitor. Better to die fighting for the Amphaels than be executed as a coward."
Trone begins to ascend the stairs, keeping his eyes between Seneschal Chan Gauthier, and Ursus Davram. Ursus hugs the side of the iron stair case as the scarred midshipman draws near. He begins to reach the limits of Andrea's range and, perhaps, this is why his guard falls.

There is a searing blast. Trone falls back, end over the stair-well. His prize follows him down, crashing with his lifeless body amongst a heap of books and now crushed scrolls. A trail of grey smoke extends from his torn chest.

.... .... .... ....

While she is rudimentarily bandaged by her staff, Andrea is able to take a brief look at the immense tome Trone had collected. The book, Segments Obscure: A Chart of the Uncharted, by Serrimot Terivas, appears to be a dense collection of hundreds of galactic maps, many of which are purely speculative. Accompanied with the text is an even denser 900 page discourse on the creation of temporal space by the traffic of Warp-faring vessels. The focus seems to be on the intersection of the metaphysical and physical, emphasising that agency resides with Man and his starships, and not with the Warp.

Before she can discern anything more from the codex, the librarium is re-entered by Scribe Lowis. In his wake are five Armsmen, and Navigator Gulliame Du Preste. Du Preste stares in disbelief at the lifeless form of Trone. Ursus hurriedly explains to the navigator what has transpired. Waiting patiently, though evidently shocked and nervous, Du Preste at last turns to Andrea.

'Madam-Seneschal, I suggest you write an official report on why you murdered this midshipman, who was only carrying out specific instructions from myself. I strongly suggest that you do so. Futhermore, I suggest you send this report to myself, my superior Injerian Praetus the Second, and to the Lord-Captain. I personally hope that you are not involved in any acts of high treason against this Dynasty'.

Du Preste approaches the book and regards it with relief. He motions to two Armsen to collect the tome. 'We can only be relieved that this book has not been destroyed. Under the circumstances, we will have to send Segments Obscure to Garrius Amphael'. He takes one last look at Trone, before departing. 'Such a tragic loss'.

[Unless Andrea stops Du Preste, he will leave. Also, unless Andrea succeeds on a Challenging Command Test, the Armsmen will take the book to (presumably) Garrius Amphael]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

As soon as the body falls, Andrea snaps at the junior scribes. "Quickly, you fools. Get that body off the scrolls, before they're ruined." Nothing happens for a moment, as all the scribes are hiding behind things, with their heads down to avoid laser fire. She begins saying their names, one at a time, and repeating her instructions. When the body is tossed to a section of gound free of the written word, she collapses to the ground, leaning against a nearby desk.

Thule whispers something, but nobody is nearby to hear it. He slowly sits up from the cot he's in, and waves at one of the scribes to get his attention. The man looks over at him, still in shock at having handled a dead body, then makes his way over. Thule whispers something in his hear, and he quickly looks back towards where the fight was. "Oh no! The lasers started fires. Quickly, get the extinguishers!"
Du Preste wrote:'Madam-Seneschal, I suggest you write an official report on why you murdered this midshipman, who was only carrying out specific instructions from myself. I strongly suggest that you do so. Futhermore, I suggest you send this report to myself, my superior Injerian Praetus the Second, and to the Lord-Captain. I personally hope that you are not involved in any acts of high treason against this Dynasty'.
Andrea stares at Trone's corpse "He was under orders? But... he admitted... and he refused to..." The head of the Librarium drops her head into her hands. She makes no protest as Du Preste and the armsmen leave the chamber with the book.

[So, I'm wondering if this might be grounds for further insanity points?]

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Tired and out of breath, Garrius sheathed his sword. Wincing, he undid the buckles for his breast plate. As it fell away, he grabbed at his wound, his own warm blood wetting his fingers as they clutched his side.

He looked upon the device. He had no idea what it was, nor had any desire to know.

"Armsmen, fetch some demo charges. See to it that this contraption is blown asunder before we vent the remains of it and these filthy heretics unto the warp. I'm going to my quaters, someone send for a medic to meet me there. See that these men get some rest after the task of destroying the device is done. Everyone here did the Emperor a great service and should feel proud. Also, let it be known that you all have my thanks."

Slowly, tiredly gripping his side, the battered Rogue Trader made his way to his lodging to receive first aid.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[FOURTEENTH DAY SINCE EMBARKATION FROM PORT WANDER]

Six days have passed since the Invictus Aeterna has escaped the fury of the Warp Storm. A dark taint of churning, insidious hunger still rages far behind the wake of the ancient frigate, yet the Invictus cuts through the currents of the Immaterium with grace and speed.

Rudimentary repairs have been made to the frigate, and the Vox systems have now long been back in operation. Damage control teams have swept the decks of the vessel constantly, always finding new signs of damage, and evidence of death. In total, 207 ratings and 14 officers are amongst the fatalities. Another 32 ratings and 2 officers are listed as missing.

Morale has plummeted. Throughout the Hab-Decks, and even in less frequented regions of the vessel graffiti has sprung up. 'GARRIUS, STORMBRINGER' is one; 'LORD-CAPTAIN ZARKOV' is another. Pasted near the central lifts, a notice was found in a semi-literate hand:

Lord of the Amphaels Laurent died
An left us with his brothers pride
A man of lustrious career past
Kissing all the admirals arse
Our Garrius Amphael

When the navy would not have him
His daddy upped and saved em
An set him here to sink our ship
An in storms to get his kip
Our Garrius Amphael

Other verses appear to have been written, though the officer who found the document is reputed to have disposed of them. Few amongst the senior staff have commented on the casual sedition from the crew, and many stress the decisive role Garrius played in leading the vessel through the storm, and in eradicating the Wyche's cult.

The Invictus Aeterna, by Senior Navigator Praetus's reckoning, is roughly six days from reaching The Battleground, where better repairs can be conducted. The crew are on edge, all the while fearing the Storm to return, and wondering whether anything from the Warp intruded on the vessel.

[The Invictus does not have extensive medicae facilities and, owing to the numerous injuries sustained amongst the crew, has not been able to devote complete attention to all. Garrius and Praetus have each regained 3 Wounds. Zarkov and Andrea have regained 5 Wounds. Drak-Kung and Malachi have regained 4 Wounds. More rest is required.

The rest of the trip to The Battleground will pass uneventfully, unless players wish to carry out specific actions. Since Garrius wishes to conduct meetings with a few of the PCs, I will leave this to Garrius and co to organise. All I ask is not to start with Praetus, who will have a small encounter first.

The strange device was destroyed, and the rating who looked into Praetus's eye is being held in the Brig, though they have gone completely insane. They are the only known survivor of Myrkyris's followers.

Garrius Amphael has been given the copy of Segments Obscure, and Gulliame Du Preste has requested to talk with him in private when he has some free time.

Reports from NPCs will follow
]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[REPORTS]
Gulliame Du Preste wrote: INVICTUS AETERNA INCIDENT REPORT: HYT/01 – 00000085.3
YEAR: M41 816; 12th Day of Journey from Embarkation
PERSONNEL REPORTING: Gulliame Du Preste, Navigator; House Du Preste

Lord-Captain Amphael,

Having been charged with sabotage, potential heresy and Warp-induced madness by Lieutenant Commander Zarkov I submit my defence.

While the Invictus Aeterna had fallen upon the worst of the Warp Storm it had fallen to me to attempt to navigate to safety. I propose that there were three principle issues which brought the Invictus Aeterna into the Storm’s Heart. Firstly, the Warp is a notoriously unpredictable place. Squalls of Empyrean energy can appear without warning, and even the Navigator’s special prescience may be no defence against the chaos and the trickery of the Immaterium. Therefore, it came as some surprise to me that the very heart of the Maelstrom seemed to spring upon the vessel and gravely endanger us all, although such events are not unheard of.

Secondly, the lack of Vox-communications may also have significantly contributed to imprecision in co-ordinates supplied from the Well to the Helm. It is entirely probable that the Service staff were ill-used to the rigour needed in this calamity and, consequently, made errors in the relay of information.

Thirdly, the appearance of a Wych and her ‘cult’ in the Bilge-decks may have enabled the Warp Storm to anchor itself to an unrestrained Psykic beacon. The Wych Myrkyris need not have knowingly channelled any sentient elements of Warp energy for the Storm to have become more conscious of our plight. We can only offer thanks to the Emperor, and those who fought this brood for our salvation. The Chief-of-Security, Drak-Kung, should be especially thanked.

Lieutenant Commander Zarkov alleges that I am corrupted by the Warp and that I should suffer an inquisition led by himself and Brother Detronimus. The only evidence that I am aware he has levelled against me in this regard is that I was ‘uncommunicative’ in the crisis. This is transparently false. I had supplied the Lieutenant Commander with coordinates until the point where I could no longer help. I advised him that we were at the Storm’s mercy. Although I may not have made myself as clear as I should have, there was no conceivable destination I could foresee which would let us escape the Maelstrom.

Lieutenant Commander Zarkov took us into the Storm and, Praise the Emperor, Senior Navigator Praetus was able to assist in discerning a place in which we could punch through the Storm to relative safety. I understand that a number of Tech-Priests then became instrumental in our salvation, and I should like to officially record my thanks for them here.

I sincerely regret insulting the Lieutenant Commander’s record and status. That I did so was a result of the extreme shock and offence I took to the allegations he levelled against me. Those who know me would surely testify that I am usually far more collected and restrained in nature. However, the Storm had taxed all our reserves of endurance and mental fortitude. I believe this may be part of the reason why the Lieutenant Commander accused me so. Several Bridge staff recall seeing the First Officer looking agitated for days, and clearly on edge and fearful. Evidence that his ordinarily stalwart mental state was strained is clear in the subsequent illegal duel he fought with the late Colonel Eyre.

I believe the First Officer should be commended for his exemplary command of the Helm. Without his efforts and resolve, the entire crew would have surely perished. I bear the First Officer no grudge and feel ready to officially forgive him for the accusations he has made against me. However, I am compelled to act in accordance with my ancient family name and, consequently, I must request that Lieutenant Commander Zarkov be made to publicly apologise to myself, on the Bridge, in the presence of senior staff and officers.

Finally, if it is not too presumptuous, I would like to commend you, Lord-Captain Amphael, for having the fortitude to lead us through this Storm. Your daring and courage has no doubt saved us from an eternity lost in the hell of the Halo-Stars.
Brother Detronimus wrote: INVICTUS AETERNA INCIDENT REPORT: HYT/17 – 00000118.727
YEAR: M41 816; 13th Day of Journey from Embarkation
PERSONNEL REPORTING: Brother Detronimus, Missonarius Galaxia

Chapel doors were sealed on my orders in order to prevent any needless shirking of duties on the part of the ship’s crew. Strict observances of Faith can sometimes breed Fear.

The incident on the Chapel steps in which the Madam-Seneschal helped to disperse a crowd of Faithful is as the Madam-Seneschal reported. Special note must be given that the crew, no matter how senior their position, cannot be allowed to question the judgement or behaviour of servant of the Ecclesiarchy. To question the Emperor’s Faithful is to sow for a harvest of Blasphemy.

Brother Clabo wishes the report to note that the Madam-Seneschal showed exceptional patience and maturity when she returned to the Chapel to seek my aid on the Bridge. Brother Clabo believes that her conduct here obviates any past misconduct. I concur with my Brother’s assessment.

The Missonarius Galaxia considers the matter of the Chapel ‘riot’ closed.
Lieutenant Marla Vehle wrote: INVICTUS AETERNA INCIDENT REPORT: HYT/17 – 00000728.1
PERSONNEL REPORTING: Lieutenant Marla Vehle, Communications Superior Officer

Let’s add to a tonne of useless data that no-one reads.

I was absent from Bridge duties in direct contradiction of Lord-Captain Amphael’s orders because there were more important tasks which demanded my labour. End of story. I’m not paid to muster children as messengers when any one of my junior officers could have done that just as well. Instead I thought it best to help the enginseers repair the Auger-Array and get the Vox working again. I did this from inside the Auger-Array. As a result the Vox was back online about nine hours sooner than predicted, helping us escape the Storm more easily.

Malachi and his enginseers deserve praise as they conducted themselves without complaint and at great risk. Without them we would all be dead.

End of report.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Senior Staff Mess Hall]

Senior Navigator Injerian Praetus II reclines in a grox-leather chair, feeling the weight of a fine dinner in his stomach. He watches smoke curl from the end of a cigar, and hears the quiet chatter of off-duty officers in the nearby drawing rooms. Almost the entire informal chatter of the last days has been about the peril the Storm had placed everyone in, and about the duel which was fought between Lieutenant Commander Zarkov and Colonel Eyre. The general consensus of the officers seems to be praise for the Lieutenant Commander.

Praetus, used to ordinary humans shunning the company of navigators is a little surprised when a young officer sits in a chair beside his. The man wears an immaculate uniform of superior tailoring and, judging by the quality of his boots, comes from considerable money.

'Excuse me, it's Injerian, isn't it? I'm sorry, I mean Senior Navigator Praetus. I'm midshipman Calid Ulyle. My friend . . . well, my superior officer Sub-lieutenant Alistair Peraton asked me to come and have a word with you. We're in the next room, just having a few drinks - better then this dishwater,' he nods at your amasec with a smile. 'He wanted to introduce himself, and see if you wanted to have a drink and a smoke with us. Only nobles allowed, of course'.

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

The lord navigator was still reeling from the events in the lower decks, and despite the effects of the amasec and a fine cigar, the shock of nearly being stabbed was still fresh in his mind. That is why he did not notice the midshipman sit next to him, nor pay attention to his breach of etiquette. The navigator turned to look at him, and then placed the glass down.

"I was not aware that Peraton was of noble birth," Praetus said with a smile, "but this is a large vessel. A finer drink would not be out of place in tonight's schedule."

Navigator Praetus nodded to his dinner companions and then stood up. A moment later, he was following the midshipman out of the room.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Lieutenant Commander Zarkov wrote:
INVICTUS AETERNA COMMAND CHAIN
FIRST OFFICER'S REPORT: HYT/01 – 00000943.5
SUBSECTION C - Pages I-IV
STATUS - URGENT
-
-
-
YEAR: M41 816; 12th Day of Journey from Embarkation

[Zarkov begins by outlining the entry to the storm, and the replacement of Tyor at the Helm. Tyor's initial protest is noted with respect, while Mordia's comment about Stimm is not mentioned at all. Then, Zarkov arrived at the crux of the matter.]

I have served with Gulliame Du Preste for over 5 years, and he has always comported himself with bearing and distinction, befitting the Navigator class. It is because of this that his conduct on the bridge during the storm has struck me as so...frenzied. Like that of a madman...myself and the crew could scarcely believe it. The discord in my soul will not rest; not until I am sure that the taint, inherent in all Navigators, has not taken hold of him.

-
-
-

He seemed almost to be celebrating, revelling in the storm, as if it was a beautiful thing. This in itself would be blasphemy; and can be verified by any number of the bridge crew who heard him. But further, he had a triumphant air, and I do not mean the beckoning triumph of guiding the ship safely through the warp. By contrast, he, through his words and actions, seemed to be intentionally compelling the crew towards their fate. Worse, he seemed elated at the thought, and his voice betrayed his joyousness.

I am sure that his desperate words, at least in part, contributed to the suicide of Armsman Jort on the bridge. Bridge morale came close to breaking point through his rantings. Throughout the storm his directions were few, and those he did give were disastrous. His performance deteriorated as the storm progressed, specifically, as the Invictus came closer to the heart of the storm, which somehow he failed to notice was approaching.

-
-
-

[Several logbook entries are referenced here.]

The logbooks show that at 7.33 SC the Invictus came upon a large knot of malignant warp activity. This neccesitated the withdrawal of all personnel from the hull, halting repair on the Auger Array. No warning was given by Du Preste, and he very nearly cost the tech-priests, and indeed everyone on the vessel, their lives. At 7.34 SC the logbook shows these instructions from Du Preste : "Bearing 212.03. Bank hard." These coordinates took us away from the knot, but directly into the heart of the storm itself.

When asked for more coordinates by myself, Du Prestes replies became increasingly fevered and manic. His voice became positively ecstatic. He asked me if I "felt it", though what he was referring to I could not fathom. Esoterically, he maintained that there could be no recourse "against such terrible beauty". He seemed to be happy, no, positively joyful, to leave the Invictus at the mercy of the warp. All sane Voidsmen know that the warp has no mercy, it is a fickle, blasphemous place. These rantings have been confirmed by Warrant Officer Sturshyi and several others who were present on the bridge at the time. Their reports bear witness to this strange behaviour.

[Attached reports, most of which, admittedly, are from officers loyal to Zarkov. However it appears they bear out at least part of the First Officer's story (GM's discretion as to how much).]

Navigator Praetus, who supported my accusations, should also be interviewed as to Du Preste's character. He, perhaps more than any of the senior crew, has had close dealings with the accused, and may be able to shed some more light on his attitudes and mindset. The incident in the Librarium is also of interest. The Seneschal believed a servant of Du Preste's was suspicious enough to deny him, and then end his life. This is highly suspicious.

Perhaps I am being too vigilant, if there is such a thing. Perhaps Du Preste will be proven a mere incompetent, or perhaps my accusations will be quashed wholly. If Du Preste is investigated and found innocent of all accusations, I, Darius Zarkov, will make a full apology to the accused on the bridge, in the presence of the Lord-Captain and the crew. However, these suspicions, shared by members of the Ecclesarchy and the senior staff, cannot be allowed to be ignored, for vigilance and faith are the only shield we have against oblivion in these dark times. Gulliame Du Preste must be questioned, with an experienced psyker present. There can be no doubt.

-
-
-

When it comes to the late Sallustis Eyre however, I will offer no apologies. Sallustis was always insubordinate, and by insulting my command he directly insulted the Lord-Captain, as it was the torch of the Amphaels I was bearing in his absence. I believe I acted as the Lord-Captain would have acted in the same situation, had his command been challenged in that way. Such insult to the command of a vessel cannot be borne, especially not on the bridge, especially not in the middle of a warp storm, when morale was at its most tenuous. If I was not a man of honour I would have killed him where he stood, but protocol dictates.

[Report continues on more routine matters, including more detailed reports on the state of morale onboard the ship, which by now is becoming obvious even to the more ignorant of the officer class. There is mention, and perhaps strangely, praise of Vehle's successful actions on the Auger array, though outweighed by praise for the bravery and fortitude of the Mechanicus. Zarkov pays particular respect to the burned tech-priest who gave his life for the Invictus on the bridge.]
Last edited by Lt. Commander Zarkov on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Injerian Praetus II wrote:
"I was not aware that Peraton was of noble birth," Praetus said with a smile, "but this is a large vessel. A finer drink would not be out of place in tonight's schedule."

Navigator Praetus nodded to his dinner companions and then stood up. A moment later, he was following the midshipman out of the room.
'Indeed,' Ulyle explains. 'Peraton and Eyre served together in the same bomber squadron - under Eyre, no officer would be given a bomber command unless they were of noble lineage. It's too difficult to measure a man's worth without knowing where he's from, so it makes sense to only promote nobles'.

Ulyle leads Praetus through a richly engraved door and into a side-room. The room is dimly lit, richly engraved, and heavily clouded with sweet cigar smoke. Praetus recognises several various blends of the finest Calixian quality.

Inside the room there are a number of arm-chairs and couches, positioned around a central games table where three men sit playing cards. A few chairs about the table are empty, one - at the head - has a blood-stained uniform draped over it.

As Ulyle and Praetus enter, the three men stand.

'Allow me to introduce these gentlemen. This is sub-lieutenant Alistair Peraton,' a tall and handsome man with a thin moustache nods to you; 'here we have midshipman Marcus Tritian,' a slightly portly man nods, his face lined heavily with veins of alcohol abuse; 'and here is Ensign Kale Uberstys, the Grox,' the men laugh at this remark, and the last man - a deeply-complexioned officer extends his hand.

'Gentlemen,' Ulyle nods to Praetus, 'meet Senior Navigator Injerian Praetus the second'.

Peraton motions to an empty chair. 'Please, Praetus, take a seat'. There are a number of amasec bottles upon the table. 'Take your pick, honoured navigator. We have a fine Scintillian Reserve, M40, here that we've been meaning to polish off'. Peraton opens a silver lho-case and offers the navigator one of his expensive lho-sticks.

The Grox lights his own cigar and motions to the table. 'Care for a cut into the game, Navigator Praetus? We have a few absentees tonight, and could do with some fresh competition'.
Last edited by Montresor on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Malachi wrote:INVICTUS AETERNA INCIDENT REPORT: HYT/17 – 00000309.82
PERSONNEL REPORTING: Malachi, Explorator

Communications Array: The Auger Array sustained damage during the onset of the storm. Array spire's housing severed from frigate hull, tethered only by the comm cabling.

The storm caused spire to sway, resulting in a potential hazard to ship's hull and safety of those on-board. Due to immediacy of threat to ship, attempted ad hoc solution of firing bolt gun at comm cable. Shot was not a clean hit, and before breaking loose, it had impacted the ship's hull, nearly taking me with it.

Damage to the ship's hull was superficial, however, communications were halted as a result of my actions.

Comms Array Repairs: Upon my return to the ship's interior, I requested the aid of all available tech priests and enginseers to aid me in the repair of the Auger Array.

Due to the stresses of the long work hours without break, and the constant mental stresses caused by the warp storm, I had to extend the repair schedule in order that my brothers would be able to rest.

The storm caused several other setbacks, including physical attacks upon the ship. For the safety of the repair crews, I had to halt work until the worst of it had passed.

Gellar Sphere: Upon my return to the ship's interior, I was informed of the weakening of the Gellar Fields. I took with me my repair crew and nearby armsmen to help me make my way to the access lift with as little obstruction as possible.

Power was being syphoned to the bridge, so the lift was offline. I did, however, manage to create a work-around that allowed me access to the Gellar Sphere without wasting too much time in transit.

The movement of the ship caused me to lose my footing, which resulted in serious injury to the team. The Emperor's guidance, and our resolve to save the ship was what saw us through in the end. The team managed to co-ordinate the Gellar Sphere's power usage to take power from critical systems (except those on the bridge), allowing it to maintain itself through the worst of the warp storm's attacks.

I made the executive decision to use power from the emergency and life support systems. I am relieved that my drastic actions were not in vain.

Comm Array Repairs: Repairs were concluded upon my request, though I was not involved in any of them.

Please let those on-board know that the following list of Adeptus Mechanicus gave their lives to save theirs:

Quartius
Umbra-4
Lentar
Atrus
Silus-9
Ezra

Return to “Rogue Trader”