Rogue Trader - The Passage

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus takes the bottle of liquor and walks out of the room with a faint smile on his face - partly mocking. He returns to his chamber and places it on his table and then collapses on to the bed.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

"Your chief Seneschal is here to see you Lord. Shall I send her in?" Le Vatch spoke with his usual posh touch and straight back.

"Yes Le Vatch, please do." Garrius didn't look up from his report."Also, could you please send my greatest thanks to the Adeptus Mechanicus types, especially that Explorator, Melachi I think his name is? Inform them that as soon as we are settled and away from this storm a reward of types shall be presented to them. Also, my condolences to their fallen." The servant quietly nodded and headed out.

As Andrea silently entered the room, Garrius initially ignored her, continuing to read reports in silence. When he spoke, it was quiet and formal.

"Madam Seneschal, it would appear that you are going through some form of identity crisis. Judging by your actions at the temple of the Emperor and the slaying of a midshipman, it would appear you seem to think you are, perhaps, above the laws of this vessel, perhaps an officer so senior that you can stray around this vessel as you see fit and order any and all to do your whim, even the devout of the device Emperor and officers on dynasty duties of the greatest import!"

Garrius looked up at Andrea, looking her up and down whilst thinking of what next to say.

"I understand that you were... adopted unto my family so I can understand your lack of self awareness in the grand scheme that is our dynasty. So, let me leave you in no doubt of your position and duties aboard this ship.

You, Madam Seneschal, are NOT an officer of this vessel. You hold no sway over the officers here. Nor are you a saint of the Imperium, and as such your words are not so powerful as to over rule those at the chapel. Remember this, for your ties to our family are not of blood so can be severed with relative ease miss Chan-Gauthier.

No, what you are is a keeper of books and accounts. Your role upon this vessel is to see that all dynasty affairs are up to date and in our interest. And at this you are exceptionally good, so I am willing to call your slaying of Trone a terrible mistake. And the Brothers of our chapel tell me they hold no ill will towards you for your actions there. So, despite your... disappointing behavior of late, I shan't be reprimanding you."

At this point, Garrius took on an almost cocky grin, slight upon his lips.

"Now, might I suggest you return to your books where you most at home, and leave the soldering to those of us who are more... naturally inclined to it."
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Andrea stands silently while her failures are paraded before her. She considered protesting, trying to defend her actions, somehow. But she knew it would be meaningless. In the end, all her moments to redeem herself went by without action.

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir." she said, before turning and returning to the Librarium.

As she walked slowly, her ankle again hurting her, down the long hallways near the Captain's apartments, she berated herself for not asking about the suggestions she'd put into her report. She wasn't sure now if she could or should, or couldn't or shouldn't, start any of the tasks she'd set down.
  • He must have read the reports. If he thought that having guards was a bad idea, he'd have said so, right? In a way, I'd be obeying him, right? I wouldn't be soldiering, I'd be having someone around who was naturally inclined towards soldiering.

And he still left me in charge of keeping the books and accounts. It is within my authority to order whatever repairs on the Librarium I wish.

And finally, he knows I wish to seek instruction from the Ecclesiarchy, and he did not forbid it. Permission isn't normally needed to seek out a brother, so unless he orders me not to go, I must have tacit permission.
Having talked herself around to the idea that Garrius had agreed with all of her suggestions, and that he hadn't reprimanded her for anything, Andrea was feeling much better with herself by the time she got back to the Librarium.

Making her way to her office area (and temporary residence), Andrea began to fill out paperwork.
INVICTUS AETERNA REPAIR CREW REQUEST: ZZZ/999 – 00001009.Z
YEAR: M41 816; 15th Day of Journey from Embarkation
FROM: Andrea Chan-Gauthier, Seneschal-Majorus; Amphael Family
TO: Ship's Duty Officer

Please assign a work crew to help repair damage to the ship's Librarium. These repairs to include upgrades to the shelving so that future turbulance of that sort will not be so traumatic to the valuable treasures of the Amphael family.

This is a top priority, after critical systems on the ship are repaired. And, the work being done will require skilled craftsmen, not simply a patch job.
To: Lt. Commander Zarkov, First Officer
To: Injerian Praetus II, Ship's Navigator
To: Malachi, Head Tech-Priest
To: Brother Detronimous, Head Priest
CC: Lord-Captain Amphael
CC: Drak-Kung, Chief of Security
CC: Andrea Chan-Gauthier, Seneschal-Majorus; Amphael Family

To all Department Heads, please distribute to your various teams as appropriate.

As I'm sure you're aware, the Librarium suffered a fair amount of damage during the recent storm, including the near complete unshelving of the entire collection. Librarium staff are working to restore order to these treasures of the Amphael family, though the majority of the shelving was also damaged, so work is slow. As a result, I have decided to close access to the facilities until the necessary repairs have been made, and the staff has been able to sort and catalog the collection, and make repairs to whatever works require it.

Of course, we will make ourselves available for any ship's needs. We ask that authorization be made through one of the department heads or their second-in-command, and that time allowences be made. Since much of the collection is stacked randomly around the room, finding a particular work may take some time. Of course, any request from a department head will become a priority, as we do not wish to impede the daily functioning of the ship.

I would like to make a special request to Brother Detronimus and Malachi. As scholars yourselves, in your chosen fields, I believe that the Priests and Tech-Priests would be well suited to helping with the task of cataloging the works. Of course, we have no grounds to demand this, but I and the Libarium staff would welcome any assistance your people could offer.
INVICTUS AETERNA DUTY REQUEST: JQR/47 – 002580.F
YEAR: M41 816; 15th Day of Journey from Embarkation
TO: Drak-Kung, Chief-of-Security

Chief,

Based on recent incidents in the ship's Librarium, it has become clear that a military presence to guard the valuable treasures of the Amphael family is called for. To that end, I request that a guard station be created to control ingress and egress for the Librarium. I further request that no weapons of any sort be allowed within the Librarium, save perhaps those of the designated guards themselves. These guards will need to be able to verify authorizations from the various department heads aboard the ship.

On a personal note: this restriction on weaponry would also apply to my own family weaponry. I would normally store these in my quarters, but as I am temporarly lodging within the Librarium, that isn't an option. I trust that you yourself might be able to house them for me until such time as I have my permenant quarters back. I believe that you would show them the honor and respect their lineage deserves.
Once those requests had been drafted and submitted, Andrea checked on the status of the Scribes as they continue sorting through the works.

She then left the Librarium and went to the cargo hold. She sees that the cargo crew, normally relaxed mid-voyage, is quite busy restoring order to all the equipment and supplies that shifted during the storm. She catches the eye of Lieutenant Travic, and waits for him to finish speaking to some ratings before he comes over to speak to her.

"Lieutenant Travic, I don't wish to take up any of your time. I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help. And I was curious if there were any noteworthy losses or damages to the cargo. Our business partners especially have a lot of important equipment in here; it would be a shame if the mission had to be delayed as a result."
Last edited by Andrea Chan-Gauthier on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: "Lieutenant Travic, I don't wish to take up any of your time. I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help. And I was curious if there were any noteworthy losses or damages to the cargo. Our business partners especially have a lot of important equipment in here; it would be a shame if the mission had to be delayed as a result."
'Only a little whiles ago Proctor Menz was making, err, enquiries regarding the status of the cargo. The machinery is fine. Been doin' an inventory down here since all the fuss with the storm ended. No real harm done to the equipment. Some ways a spoilage come up in the storm, what with food barrels and preservator piping leaking into each other'. Travic scratches his chin, which has remained unshaven for several days. 'Way I see it, Seneschal, we'd be best replacing all of the Invictus's food supplies the moment we dock in Footfall'.

Travic begins to run over a list of minor service related issues with Andrea. The Madam-Seneschal finds it difficult to concentrate, and Travic has to repeat himself a few times in order to be understood. Flashes of an otherworldly face stare at Andrea, as if seen through a dream.

Once Travic has finished his inventory report, he leaves to go and rouse some men back to work, though he is inclined to play a round of cards with them first.

Andrea becomes aware that she is being observed. Turning to see who watches her, she see Proctor Menz, dressed in a drab olive-green uniform. His white hair hangs lossely about his shoulders. His aged and thin face evaluates Andrea coldly. Three members of the Alid-Yuril security team accompany Menz. These two men and one woman look initmidating, though their postures are lax. They have the look of penal-soldiers, and they regard Andrea with thin hostility.

Menz approaches. 'Seneschal-Majoris Chan-Guathier,' he dips his head in a slight bow. 'We have not had the opportunity to have a discussion as yet'. Menz looks like he is almost about to say something, though the movement of his lips shifts to a blank expression. He rolls his shoulders and straightens his back, staring at Andrea quite deliberately as if he was impatiently waiting for a question that Andrea had just been about to ask. His expression changes again, and one eyebrow raises. Menz seems to be almost subconciously saying are you alright, Madam-Seneschal? The effect is unsettling.

[As for whom to address the first report/request to - the best person would be the Duty Officer, who would then make arrangements with the various supervisors]
Last edited by Montresor on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

[Edited my previous post to reflect the Duty Officer as the recipient.]
Montresor wrote:Menz approaches. 'Seneschal-Majoris Chan-Guathier,' he dips his head in a slight bow.
Andrea responds with a full courtly curtsy.
Montresor wrote:'We have not had the opportunity to have a discussion as yet'. Menz looks like he is almost about to say something, though the movement of his lips shifts to a blank expression. He rolls his shoulders and straightens his back, staring at Andrea quite deliberately as if he was impatiently waiting for a question that Andrea had just been about to ask. His expression changes again, and one eyebrow raises. Menz seems to be almost subconciously saying are you alright, Madam-Seneschal? The effect is unsettling.
"Erm... No, Proctor Menz. We have not yet had that opportunity, have we? But, circumstances have conspired to give us that chance now, haven't they? I say we seize this moment, Proctor Menz. Indeed, let us grab hold of this moment tightly before it can fade away to nothingness, leaving us only with memories and longing." As she spoke, Andrea stopped looking directly at the Proctor. Her eyes became ever so slightly unfocused as she recalled, once again, the visage in the window, fading away. But soon, she returned to herself, and her eyes focused again on the man before her. "So, what would you have us discuss, sir? I have a small office nearby, if these are weighty matters, not discussed out in the public."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'You should decide, Seneschal-Majoris. I have matters to attend to, but I think that you may have some questions for me'. Menz stares deliberately at Andrea, unblinking.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

"Why, Proctor Menz, I am not aware of any questions I have for you. I was concerned that your equipment here in the cargo hold might have been damaged in the storm, but our good Lieutenant tells me that you have already reviewed that and found all to be well."

"But, if you feel that I have a question for you, I assume that means you have an answer to the question, yes? Let's just assume that I have asked this question, and move on to the answer."

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Menz maintains his fixed gaze upon Andrea, and in a steady tone asks, 'are you serious?'

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea's manner becomes less pleasant for a moment. "Procter Menz, do we know each other well enough to be other than serious? We've only just now met, but I assure you that my sense of humor does not extend to wasting people's time. I would like to believe that neither does yours."

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

To: Lord Garrius Amphael
Subject: Belowdecks Wych Affair

My Lord

When I was first apprised of the Wych, I was uncertain as to the veracity of the assertions, as a malcontent was fomenting a lynch-mob mentality among some upper-deck crew to offer some belowdecks scum, using his words, as offerings to the Void that the recent Warp Storm might abate. This being fresh in my mind led me to suspect initially that the "wych" was but more of his scurrilous activities. As soon as I heard clear evidence there was a true crisis, I acted. I believe my tactical plan was fundamentally sound. However, I freely admit to failing to anticipate the raw savagery that had been instilled in her followers, which led them to open fire upon 1st squad and yourself earlier than anticipated. I also was unaware that her followers had had time to fortify their position. Had I taken the time to ascertain that, I would have brought demolition charges to blast our way in.

In summation, I believe that while I made two minor errors in judgment, my reasoning and approach was fundamentally sound. However, I submit myself and my actions for your judgment, as is your right as our Lord and bearer of the Sacred Writ.

Blessed be the Emperor

Drak-Kung
Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Montresor wrote:[This encounter happens a day after Zarkov's last post. The encounter is intended for Drak-Kung]

'Master-at-Arms,' Trulitch nods, 'we finally meet. I've been watching your . . . what are they? Soldiers? I'm not sure. Not a one of them would have lasted five minutes in my old Company. You train these men?'.

[Drak-Kung can tell that Trulitch is being deliberately unfriendly and insulting. What his aim is (if he has one) is uncertain]
"Indeed I do. if you feel that their measure leaves something to be desired, perhaps you might show what you consider to be adequate skill? Perhaps you and I might engage in a friendly contest? Judging someone by what skill they already posses is limited, after all, you must also know what skills they are seeking to posses. And we might also thereby gauge your own skill. Anyone can voice an opinion, but how weighty that opinion should be depends on how well-informed it is."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:
"Indeed I do. if you feel that their measure leaves something to be desired, perhaps you might show what you consider to be adequate skill? Perhaps you and I might engage in a friendly contest? Judging someone by what skill they already posses is limited, after all, you must also know what skills they are seeking to posses. And we might also thereby gauge your own skill. Anyone can voice an opinion, but how weighty that opinion should be depends on how well-informed it is."
Captain Trulitch seems pleased by the suggestion, though he evidently tries to appear neautral. 'I'd be more than happy to show you the kind of warrior that a veteran Guardsman can be . . . There are two things stopping me from doing that. The first is my honour; you're wounded, and I'd have you beaten in no time at all. The second - Proctor Menz has forbidden me to personally take part in any duels with Invictus staff. Here's what I propose - we either pick a champion each and watch them fight; or you and I work something out when we get to Footfall'.
Last edited by Montresor on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:"Procter Menz, do we know each other well enough to be other than serious? We've only just now met, but I assure you that my sense of humor does not extend to wasting people's time. I would like to believe that neither does yours."
'I never thought you were joking . . . but . . . good'. Menz allows Andrea to see a half smile. In some way, she knows that he's pleased with her response. 'Let us not waste any more of our time for now. There is much for me to do'.

[Proctor Menz will depart unless you have more to discuss]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

[Oh no, Andrea is quite content to let this strange little man depart without further incident.]
  • I don't want to know
    What's going on inside that
    Little head of yours.
Once Menz has left, Andrea waits patiently for several minutes, to be sure she won't run into him on her way, and then finally departs the Cargo Hold on her way to the Ship's Temple-Shrine.

In an otherwise unimportant hallway between two places, through which Andrea found herself travelling on her way there, she happened to glance out one of the uncommon portals out into the Void. Now that they were through the storm, the Gellar Fields were strong, and the Immaterium beyond them was mostly featureless. Still, she found herself drawn to the portal, and without realizing it, she had stopped there for several minutes. Face pressed nearly to the glass, but not so close that her breath would fog on the surface and obscure her view, she scanned the surface of the Fields, looking for a sign. But there was nothing there.
  • This portal looks to the side. The Bridge's view is directly forward.
Eventually, she gave up on her futile search, and resumed her trek to the Ship's Temple-Shrine. Hopefully, Brother Clabo would be available.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

As Injerian Praetus the second stood before Garrius in his study, the Rogue Trader could not help but feel mixed emotions. On one hand, before him stood a man of high noble birth, far higher than his own with a house on Holly Terra itself. A man truly deserving of respect and admiration.

Yet on the other he was also a man of insubordination, completely lacking any respect for authority. And one who shied away from a task that would prove his glory and honor. But ultimately a liability.

"Injerian, as you know I have been meeting with the senior officers over the last few days. The storm was a trial by fire for the ship and her crew, and has accelerated my appraisal of the staff and their capabilities. It has left no doubt in my mind over who I can and cannot rely upon to do their duties at the critical moment.

Now, Lord Praetus, I must be frank. Your performance over the duration of the storm led me to despair, for your actions did not live up to the expectations I had of a house so great as yours. Thus, after our disagreement on the bridge, I wrote a message for our astropaths to transmit to Holly Terra."

Garrius slid a data slate across the desk towards the navigator and sat quietly while he read it.
Message Amphael-Praetus wrote:

To the most majestic House Praetus of the Navis Nobilite on Holly Terra.

Let me start by saying that I, Lord Garrius Amphael of the Amphael Dynasty of Rogue Traders and Holder of the sacred writ of the Emperor, am utterly honored to have a member of your most noble lineage amongst my crew. The house Praetus is a house deserving of respect and honor equaled by few others.

However despite this, it is of grave tone that I send you this message. Aboard my ship, The Invictus Aeterna, the young Injerian Praetus II is senior Lord Navigator. It pains me to inform you that his manner and actions have not been exactly befitting of your most noble reputation.

As we crossed the Immaterium but a week ago, we encountered a small warp storm, one we subsequently fought our way through and got past safely. It was upon encountering this storm however, that Injerian showed great fear towards the minor threat and acted in a way more suited to a coward than a member of a great family such as yours. Given his recent history with the perils of the warp this is perhaps to be expected, but I had thought that someone of such high standing amongst the Navis Nobilite would act with more honor and distinction than this in a time of need.

This was not the end of it either. Whether it was out of pride or whatever, once we had seen our way through this storm, your Injerian Praetus II directly criticized me, the Lord Captain and supreme commander of this vessel, as well as question my orders and decisions before other officers of the bridge. He then continued to do so immediately after being ordered not to, insisting upon having the last word like some child of teenage years.

Now, speaking with utmost respect for your Grandiose House, I must admit that cowardice and insubordination were not to be expected from a House as noble and recognized as yours, so I must deduce that these traits belong not to The House Praetus, but to Injerian himself.

As you are aware, we purchase the services of Injerian off you at considerable cost, and as such would hope for services equaling the majestic services other holders of the Praetus name have carved for your house. To say that Injerian has been a disappointment is an understatement.

But if I speak truly value for riches is not my greatest regret here. What saddens me most of this situation is that such a family as yours, one of the greatest amongst the Navis Nobilite, has such a great and powerful name that is well deserved and should not be tarnished. Speaking as a noble from a family Eclipsed by your own, I feel it is my duty to warn you that Injerian Praetus the second is acting in a way that is a liability to your mightiest of reputations. A truly regrettable situation that I hope you can amend painlessly.

As such, it goes without saying that we, The Amphaels, shall be retiring Injerian from our services and recruiting another Lord Navigator at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps you have another amongst your ranks who could fill his place. We would gladly consider any suggestions.

Complete regards and highest respects.
Lord Garrius Amphael, Holder of the Emperors Sacred Writ, Amphael Dynasty.
Once the navigator had finished reading the slate, Garrius retrieved it and placed it in the bottom draw of his desk. He knew the weight of the message, how a proud family would react, how a young lords career could be destroyed by over zealous superiors.

"Now, I never got a chance to send the message with all the confusion after the storm. Also, I seem to have... Misplaced it. Alas I have been too occupied with all these reports and meetings to find it. Also, your actions in defeating the wych were noble and invaluable so my desire to do so has been low lately."

Garrius paused a moment, looking at the Navigator gravely.

"Injerian, I was truly honored to have someone of your standing on my crew, and it saddens me that things have gone the way that they have. However, I am not a vindictive man, and thus I wish to make one point clear. What I need aboard this vessel is a Lord Navigator I can rely upon to do his job in an honorable fashion. A man who is willing to go with this vessel to the ends of the galaxy if need be.

Also, I would like a man who, as a fellow Noble, can stand proudly upon a bridge free of bickering officers, proudly making a name for himself befitting of his legacy. Injerian, I will not shy from danger, and if I had such a man, he too would be a great Noble like his forebears. Such a man would get reports to his kind of a far different tone to the report I had previously written, and any desire to find that lost message would fade if I had such a man."

Garrius sighed and looked Praetus square in the eye.

"So, Injerian Praetus, are you a man capable of these tasks? Will you submit to my command as a fellow noble and act in a manor befitting of your birth and standing? For if you do so, I would hold you no ill will, and any past thoughts and criticisms I had would be lost, along with that message. "

Sitting back, Garrius waited for the Navis Nobilite to speak.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[THE MORTUARY]

Within the silent hall of the Mortuary, a procession of solemn ratings anoint the dead. Stone tables are adorned with the crew who perished during the Storm. Sub-zero temperatures aid subtly in preservation even as necro-juvenation fluids are pumped into still corpses.

'Take the mask and fix it so about the face,' Perin Akreides, head Mortician instructs. One arm, augmented with scalpels, injectors, and saws motions. 'Begin the incision thus,' a scalpel begins to cut into an arm, while clamps insert into and expand the hole. 'Attach the hose marked vivifier into the incision'. One of the cables which snakes about a great column is brought down by a stony-faced woman and fixed into the hole. Slow-pumping green fluids intend from the cable into the corpse. Akreides removes the corpse's eyes with the delicate touch of cyber-forceps, even as a suction hose on the same hand cleans the sockets. 'To stop the mirrors of the soul clouding with the vivifier, it is necessary to remove the eyes, and to replace them with glass substitutes. Cut now at the . . .'

As Akreides continues about his work, watched and attended closely by three ratings, Andrea Chan-Gauthier makes her way to two members of the Ecclesiarchy present for the proceedings. Not having found Brother Clabo in the Chapel, Andrea had been directed to the Mortuary, where he was overseeing hushed litanies.

Brother Clabo, bandaged from his wounds stands silently watching the goings-on in the Morgue. Noticing Andrea approach, he turns to her and gives a silent nod.

The Explorator Malachi is nearby, having been asked by Metanus to see if any of the dead were suitable for use as Servitors. He waits for Akreides to finish with the corpse he is working on, that of a dead Ensign being preserved for a planet-side burial.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Malachi regards the situation, before turning to Brother Clabo.

"If you've any dead who have no specific burial requests, please let the Mechanicus on board have them serve us. We'll take as many as you would allow."
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: "If you've any dead who have no specific burial requests, please let the Mechanicus on board have them serve us. We'll take as many as you would allow."
Clabo gives Malachi a cold stare. 'Peddle for your corpses elsewhere, tech-priest'. The brother's acerbic tone surprises Malachi, who is more used to the Imperium's loyal paying respects to his intuition with the mysteries of technology. Clabo points at the Head Mortician, Perin Akreides, and barks at the Explorator: 'See him!'

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea spots Brother Clabo and returns his nod with a shallow bow. Maybe only a 30º tilt, from the waist; what her mother would have called "bowing when a bow isn't strictly necessary, to show personal respect outside of a formal gathering". Her mother spent far too much time thinking about the nuances of court etiquette, but she was hardly wrong when you actually thought about it.

She began to glide over to Brother Clabo, but was still moving around the side of the Mortician's ceremony when she saw Clabo's flare. Unsure how to procede, not wanting to intude into what could be a private affair, she turned to study the last rights of the fallen ensign.
  • This one died so that the rest of us might live. He should receive a hero's funeral, to be sure. And yet, who among us wouldn't wish to continue serving the family even in death? Is giving your life any different from giving your death?
She watches the ceremony for a while longer, but finds little of interest there. Her attention wanders to the large room around them, with it's majestic ceilings and tall pillars. Where she would expect windows, there were instead doors to other storage rooms.
  • Windows... we're pretty close to the front of the ship, here. Are there, perhaps, any forward facing portals around?
Scanning forward, beyond the altar, she saw a doorway. She makes her way there, trying to discern if the area is off-limits to those not on official duties.

[I'm assuming the room used to bury people into the Void would be exterior facing and maybe have a window?]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: [I'm assuming the room used to bury people into the Void would be exterior facing and maybe have a window?]
[Behind the podium from which priests deliver eulogies, there is what is known as the 'burial chamber'. Up to fifty corpses can be fired into the Void from this point. The actual chamber has no port-holes, though the wall behind the podium has stone lids which can be raised to see the Void. The lids are only ever raised when 'burials' are being conducted]

Akreides's intonations recede as Andrea makes her way towards the burial chamber beyond the podium. While no-one is watching, the Seneschal-Majoris tentatively steps into the cold stone interior of the chamber beyond. Intricate carvings surround control panels on the walls, making the buttons themselves seem like finely carved stones in a marble wall.

The Senechal's eye's scan the walls, searching in vain for a way to see the Immaterium beyond. Her eyes run along the metal hatches covering the first of the dead loaded for burial. Names mark which corpse lies in the coffin beyond each hatch. One name catches Andrea's attention; icy fear constricts her chest and her hands shake from the sudden shock. The hatch reads: Trone, Arrigoth. Midshipman.

Return to “Rogue Trader”