Are there aliens in the outer space of the Land?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Holy crap, MM. That telling has a ring of familiarity to it. I can't put my finger on it but....
Impressive and entertaining post. Thank you. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Glad I was able to offer some entertainment value for you, Tom. Thanks for reading! I had way too much time on my hands...
BT Shire
Woodhelvennin

Post by BT Shire »

You are, every one of you, insane.

Anal Ian indeed.

:whip:

(The above emoticon holds no relevance to my comment; I just thought it was funny.)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I finally decided to put a variation of this topic's question to SRD and darned if I didnt get a quick response.
T. Cummins: Hello Stephen. I’ll simply echo the good wishes and gratefulness that others have already presented to you. I’ll just say that I feel very much the same way.

Here is a question that I’m sure doesn’t need answering but you may have an opinion or response in any case. After reading most if not all of the GI I realize that you probably haven’t wasted much mental energy on what I’m about to ask.

Regarding the Moon of the Land. It occurred to me one day that celestial objects that make up the sky of the Land are similar in appearance (as they’ve been described in the books) as those found in the sky of our own (real) earth. As I recall there is a mythology to the Land’s creation that seems to explain the earth and sky in rather fanciful terms. What I’m wondering is if the Land’s Moon is an actual moon, a satellite of the Earth and therefore occupying space within the Earth’s gravitational field. If this is the case then is there an interplanetary space beyond the Land’s Earth that might contain other planets, stars and possibly other lifeforms. (Uh oh. I’ve stumbled into an X-files crossover. :-) I realize this is rather pointless but what the heck. For all I know the Last Chronicles might conclude with Foul being attacked by Martian war machines. I’m sure we wouldn’t see that coming.

Thanks.

SRD: Yes, the "heavenly firmament" of "The Chronicles" does contain "celetial objects" in the sense that we commonly use the term (e.g. the moon is an actual moon). The fact that these objects may have magical or metaphorical import doesn't negate their existence as objects. And no, the story of "The Chronicles" is not going to become interplanetary. I hope I don't have to try to explain why. (Among other things, it has to do with *concentration*. It's a characteristic of this kind of fantasy that Everything Is At Stake *here*: the issues and conflicts aren't scattered around the planet--or the solar system--or the galaxy. Of course, fantasy *can* deal with a multiplicity of places, planets, dimensions, whatever. But those are different forms of fantasy than I'm writing in "The Chronicles".)

(12/06/2006)
I believe that pretty much answers that. :-)

The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

for that I am truly relieved, aTOMic......but isn't Foul a former extra-terrestrial? an alien invader, if you will? :?
The Nose
Servant of the Land

Post by The Nose »

Foul came from outside the Reality of the Earth, not just from another place, so he wouldn't really be an extraterrestrial, I wouldn't think.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Esmer wrote:for that I am truly relieved, aTOMic......but isn't Foul a former extra-terrestrial? an alien invader, if you will? :?
You know I never really considered that before. Hmmm...Lord Foul is from a planet thousands of light years away from Earth, a nearly immortal being of almost no corporeal substance. From an ancient race that had evolved far beyond the need for physical bodies but able to wield incredible powers.

Unfortunately SRD (in the response to my question) put to bed all questions that might lead one to speculate about the nature of his creations beyond the context of the story. Of course that isn't very much fun. :biggrin:

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

LOL!!....now that i think of it yes.. im not sure how many light years away ...but good old earth. and thats what i have wondered...what is their planet called,

Übelgefängnis (German) is the only one word translation I could find that supposedly means Evils Prison im sure theres some other good ones I didnt think of. it translates back to English as Ill prison.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

well... fresh from the rumour mills of Woodhelvin Area 51 - Gilden Section

the only recorded visits of aliens from another world to the Land were as follows:

Thomas Covenant
Hile Troy
Linden Avery

fortunately the Caer-Caveral experiment worked on Hile Troy (many thanks to Wildwood for the assist!) and he now has a new purpose..

Thomas Covenant died after exposure to deadly white gold.....

Linden Avery escaped but there are rumours of sightings recently...... :biggrin:
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I know with my last post I pretty much put this subject to bed but after re-reading SRD's response I see now that the possibility of extra terrestrial life, outside of SRD's narrative, still exist. I took to mean by his answer that in the context of his focus on the story he is writing that only the stated facts are of any relevance. However that didn't completely negate the possibility that there might be life and activity somewhere beyond the bounds of the Land's Earth.

I know this is kind of stunning but I have not completed reading TLD so the final chapter may indeed be filled Martian War Machines as I mentioned in my question to Donaldson. :-)

Remember back a few years ago when I was routinely asking hard hitting questions like "Are there aliens in the outer space of the Land?" :-)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”