Critical Study of the TC Chrons

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Critical Study of the TC Chrons

Post by spoonchicken »

So, I got the book "SRD and the Modern Epic Vision; A Critical Study of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Novels" by Christine Barkley....WOW...it's great stuff! Pretty thick reading, but anyone who can deal with the Chrons themselves should be able to digest this stuff. I strongly recommend this book to all members of the Watch. Buy it or die ! Nice artwork on the cover of Fouls Creche, too. I bought it online directly from the publisher...McFarland Publishing, and yes they have a website. Hail, McFarland! An Earthfriendly house, indeed.
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

P.S....they're one or two very intersting "spoilers" regarding the Last Chrons, so....fair warning !
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Some Watchers have already read and reviewed this work, spoon. Check it out in A&S:

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17082
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

in that case...sorry; never mind...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh, no problem!
It's nice to spread the word around different areas of the Watch. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

So give us some spoonchicken feed. What's to like? We want details.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

As of the date of this posting, I'm only about 1/3 through the book. So far, the primary themes seem to be 1) SRD deserves to be honored as a truly gifted author whose writing style has brought the "epic" novel to new & improved heights... 2) Analyzing the "eye of the paradox" concept. Both "internally" (the capacity for both good & evil that exists inside all persons, both IRL and in the Land), and as it applies to humanity overall "externally". More specifically, discussing how embracing the eye of the paradox has helped the English-speaking Western world advance by balancing ourselves equally between the technogical, and the spiritual, whereas other parts of the world seem trapped in religious dogma, and unable to grow as a society because of that self-imposed handicap. More to follow as I continue reading.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”