best action films

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

best action films

Post by Usivius »

just including a link here to a surprisingly (to me) even-handed list of "the best" action films. I cannot disagree with the last three. All others are aptly placed.
:)
insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/01/18/b ... on-movies/
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

There are so many films missing from this list Im shocked, but Im glad Raiders tops it.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

No, no, no, no, no.

There is not a better action film in existence than Die Hard. T2 isn't half the action film that The Terminator is.

1. Die Hard
2. Lethal Weapon
3. The Terminator
4. Die Hard With a Vengeance
5. Hardboiled
6. Aliens
7. First Blood
8. Braveheart
9. Robocop
10. We Were Soldiers

The Wages of Fear/Sorcerer are great films, but I'd label them as drama/suspense. RotLA is a boatload of fun, and should probably be somewhere around #15. Point Break needs to be on the list as well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Not a bad list for once; I've got no bones on any of em nor the ranking. Seen em all but for Hard Boiled.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Kil Tyme wrote:Not a bad list for once; I've got no bones on any of em nor the ranking. Seen em all but for Hard Boiled.
Bump
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Ugh, seriously? Speed topping Aliens?

And I dearly love The Great Escape, but it hardly qualifies as an action film, let alone one of the greatest.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Speed is a far superior film to Aliens. But Aliens is,,,entertaining.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Speed was a limp Die Hard knock-off.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

If Blade Runner is an action film, then Driving Miss Daisy is a prequel to The Fast and the Furious.

That list was pretty questionable. I prefer Cail's picks, though I'd ditch Lethal Weapon and We Were Soldiers, and add Total Recall and The Killer.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Montresor wrote:If Blade Runner is an action film, then Driving Miss Daisy is a prequel to The Fast and the Furious.

That list was pretty questionable. I prefer Cail's picks, though I'd ditch Lethal Weapon and We Were Soldiers, and add Total Recall and The Killer.
Yeah, no way Blade Runner is an action flick. The Killer is great, but I prefer A Better Tomorrow.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Wow. I'm seriously shocked at the films selected for that list.

Where are the truly amazing action films like:
Commando
Tango and Cash
Action Jackson
Firestorm
Last Action Hero
Sharky's Machine
Gymkata
...well?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:haha:
Everybody leaves out Breakdown with Kurt Russell-that movie was so insane I couldn't breathe at the end.
One of my all time favs is Runaway Train with Jon Voight, except for one outlandish scene very intense-never a dull moment. Switchback is pretty dam intense too (guess I like train movies).
fall far and well Pilots!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Breakdown is a great movie, but I'd file it under "Thriller", not "Action".
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:No, no, no, no, no.

There is not a better action film in existence than Die Hard. T2 isn't half the action film that The Terminator is.

1. Die Hard
2. Lethal Weapon
3. The Terminator
4. Die Hard With a Vengeance
5. Hardboiled
6. Aliens
7. First Blood
8. Braveheart
9. Robocop
10. We Were Soldiers

The Wages of Fear/Sorcerer are great films, but I'd label them as drama/suspense. RotLA is a boatload of fun, and should probably be somewhere around #15. Point Break needs to be on the list as well.
This is a great list although I haven't seen Hardboiled. I might quibble over Aliens and First Blood, they should be higher. We Were Soldiers is to me a war flick, and easily in my top 10 war flicks, but I don't think it fits here.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I could easily see removing both Braveheart and We Were Soldiers. They're both genre films that are action-packed, not straight-up action.

I could see True Lies up there.
Last edited by Cail on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Cail wrote:Breakdown is a great movie, but I'd file it under "Thriller", not "Action"
sure was a hell of a lot of action in it...
fall far and well Pilots!
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Where's Fight Club?
Wide Eyed Stupid
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Come on; some of you guys are naming B movies! ;) Action Jackson? The orig list is almost full of action blockbusters. I'd name White Lightning in the list, too then if we want to drag in all sorts of B rated chaser flicks. I guess I'd have a few replacments such as Preditor instead of something I haven't seen, but of all the on-line lists I've seen this one is at least attempting to be normal. Arnold makes great actions movies that I would expect people have on their lists, but for me I don't think any would be in the top 25 except for those where he is best in which he talks least, a la Terminator.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Cail wrote: The Killer is great, but I prefer A Better Tomorrow.
I love A Better Tomorrow, but I actually prefer A Better Tomorrow 2. Something about that colour coded climax with all the guys in white getting blown away.

The Killer is my favourite John Woo film, though.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Montresor wrote:
Cail wrote: The Killer is great, but I prefer A Better Tomorrow.
I love A Better Tomorrow, but I actually prefer A Better Tomorrow 2. Something about that colour coded climax with all the guys in white getting blown away.

The Killer is my favourite John Woo film, though.
You, my friend, have excellent taste in films. ABT2 kicks ass. I like The Killer up to the end. I can't stop laughing at the two blind lovers crawling around the church.

Return to “Flicks”