Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Thomas Covenant is broken!

Post by SkurjMaster »

Something is seriously wrong here!
Spoiler
I brought him back, but I didn’t do it right. He isn’t whole.
“And he has leprosy.”
I think that there could be two reasons for this:

(1) Something has impaired LA so that, when she could have brought back a healthy TC, she instead brought back a 'flawed' TC, from the standpoint of health.

(2) It wasn't possible to bring him back whole.

Now, as I reread the quote above, there is an emphatic 'and' in the statements made by LA. Does she regard wholeness and leprosy separately. I think that she does. So what does this mean? Why would she expect him to be without leprosy?

Now, what is missing that would make him whole? I suspect that he is missing his capacity for striving. He gave that up or it was burned out of him either in the Banefire or by Foul.

What do you guys and gals think?
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Microsoft already is aware of the flawed TC3.3 release. According to their customer support side the an update will be released next week, patching Thomas to TC_3.3b. This will fix a few bugs and probably remove with the lack of wholeness.

To fix the leprosy-bug will have to wait until the first TC Service Pack 1.0 will be releaed early March - then we'll have TC3.31a. This will make him compatible again with the older models TC1.1 - TC1.3 and TC2.1 - TC2.3.

Final release will be TC3.4 in 2013 before these models finally get discontinued.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Bill Assumpcao
Servant of the Land

Post by Bill Assumpcao »

"The only thing worse than taking something away from a person....
...Give them back something that's broken."
Or, something to that effect, :wink:
BillA
never use a quiet tool...when a loud one will do
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Bill Assumpcao wrote:"The only thing worse than taking something away from a person....
...Give them back something that's broken."
Or, something to that effect, :wink:
BillA
"The only way to hurt a man who's lost everything is to give him back something broken," is more like it. Now if Linden herself broke Covenant (accidentally, granted) after losing Jeremiah...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hmmm...the thing is..did he ever NOT have leprosy? It seems to me, in bringing him back, she has separated him from the things that kept the disease suppressed...she couldn't separate him from the arch without undoing what made it possible for him to be part of it to begin with. [which doesn't bode well for his ability to wield white gold now.] And can Linden heal him? Will the "dirt" interfere?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Vader wrote:Microsoft already is aware of the flawed TC3.3 release. According to their customer support side the an update will be released next week, patching Thomas to TC_3.3b. This will fix a few bugs and probably remove with the lack of wholeness.

To fix the leprosy-bug will have to wait until the first TC Service Pack 1.0 will be releaed early March - then we'll have TC3.31a. This will make him compatible again with the older models TC1.1 - TC1.3 and TC2.1 - TC2.3.

Final release will be TC3.4 in 2013 before these models finally get discontinued.
:haha: That's brilliant!!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Vraith wrote:Hmmm...the thing is..did he ever NOT have leprosy? It seems to me, in bringing him back, she has separated him from the things that kept the disease suppressed...she couldn't separate him from the arch without undoing what made it possible for him to be part of it to begin with. [which doesn't bode well for his ability to wield white gold now.] And can Linden heal him? Will the "dirt" interfere?

I don't think she can heal him. Leprosy is too ingrained into his being. However, there is hurtloam. Andelain should be full of it.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

StevieG wrote:
Vader wrote:Microsoft already is aware of the flawed TC3.3 release. According to their customer support side the an update will be released next week, patching Thomas to TC_3.3b. This will fix a few bugs and probably remove with the lack of wholeness.

:haha: That's brilliant!!
But spelling and grammar shows that I shouldn't post after two gallons of diamondraught.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Being Whole

Post by SkurjMaster »

Will joining with Foul make him whole? Is it possible that Foul considers this a possibility? Break out of the Arch as part of TC and then take over TC and avoid being consumed in the destruction.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Being Whole

Post by Orlion »

SkurjMaster wrote:Will joining with Foul make him whole? Is it possible that Foul considers this a possibility? Break out of the Arch as part of TC and then take over TC and avoid being consumed in the destruction.
I'm actually beginning to think that there will be no actual physical melding of Foul and TC. I mean, it's all ready been established that Foul is a part of TC or a part of TC is Foul...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Very nice. Funny.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I believe there is only one Mr. Broken on the watch, and he is no Thomas Covenant, but nobodys perfect.
Wide Eyed Stupid
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

The thing about the "he isn't whole" "And he has leprosy" quote.. when I read it, it seems that it's spoken by two different people. Don't know why.

But hell, I was expecting something epic to happen at the start of this book and I haven't been let down!

Now, to the heart of it.. TC has been the Arch of Time for a very long time, and now that existence has been transformed back into a human, a human with leprosy. But that's not all. He's dead. In the 'real world' he would have been buried years ago.

Not only has he got to contend with his body being unable to contain everything he was as the Arc of Time, if his leprosy is apparent in the Land he is even weaker than before, and I wonder what else that can mean..

TC in the Land wasn't a leper. I don't know how, but it's an established part of the story. He wasn't a leper as the AoT either. And being a healer, could not Linden have re-made him without the leprosy? But all I can think of is that with the Arc of time diminished, there's less barriers between the worlds, less power to keep TC's leprosy out, and what that may mean for the disparity between TC as present in the Land and his remains in the 'real world' I cannot say.. Nor for the other people in both places at once, who while they all appear to be mortally wounded in the 'real world' are still alive there..

Wait. F*ck it. Linden said 'SHOW ME THE TRUTH' with the Earthpower didn't she!!!! Crap. Maybe all I just wrote is irrelevant.. Maybe not. I don't know if that makes it any better or worse though..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

TC's leprosy was cured by hurtloam in LFB and TIW. In TPPT hurtloam was "hidden" by Foul's winter and he remained unhealed. There was also no hurtloam under the Sunbane so he was a leper throughout the second chronicles although this was not much emphasized as it was in the first.
Last edited by Aleksandr on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Certainly the symptoms were healed, but I don't think the disease itself was cured for a number of reasons; one being the condition you arrive in is the condition you leave scheme.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
FAP
Servant of the Land

Post by FAP »

In fairness to Linden this her first resurrection I'm sure she'll get better with practice :)

Seriously though, TC wasn't remotely human anymore. He was a being that transcended time and now he's been forced back into a vessel too small for what he was. It's going to take time for him to shed what his human form can't hold and recalibrate himself to a physical existence.

No one even knows if this can be done as it's never been done before.

As for not being alive in the real world it was strongly suggest that Hile troy was dead in the real world the years he lived in the Land and it didn't seem to be a detriment.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

FAP wrote: As for not being alive in the real world it was strongly suggest that Hile troy was dead in the real world the years he lived in the Land and it didn't seem to be a detriment.
yep...if you die while being translated, it seems you can live in the Land...but you can't ever go back.
RantAbsolain
Servant of the Land

Post by RantAbsolain »

FAP wrote:In fairness to Linden this her first resurrection I'm sure she'll get better with practice :)

Seriously though, TC wasn't remotely human anymore. He was a being that transcended time and now he's been forced back into a vessel too small for what he was. It's going to take time for him to shed what his human form can't hold and recalibrate himself to a physical existence.

No one even knows if this can be done as it's never been done before.

As for not being alive in the real world it was strongly suggest that Hile troy was dead in the real world the years he lived in the Land and it didn't seem to be a detriment.
I always though that Troy spent his decade/3000 years as a Forestal in some nursing home, badly burnt and injured by his fall from the window. I figured when Caer Caveral died, Troy finally passed away in the nursing home. But if Convenant can come back to life in the Land, I guess Troy might have died at the time of the fire. Do we know if Linden is still alive in the real world?
Scott
Servant of the Land

Post by Scott »

Linden was shot when she translated to the Land and cure herself with the ring. She thinks she is dead in the real world.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Vraith wrote:Certainly the symptoms were healed, but I don't think the disease itself was cured for a number of reasons; one being the condition you arrive in is the condition you leave scheme.
See my quote below the message 8)

Seriously, I think the "he isn't whole" indicates that she can in some way see the fracturing he's going thru as he loses the Timewarden part of himself. Apparently she thought she could bring him back with all that knowledge (or that's how he *would* come back)... A being with that much awareness and power would surely make her job saving the Land a lot easier. I don't think it ever occurred to her that he wouldn't come back whole.

Likewise with the leprosy. He hadn't really been a leper for most of the time they were together, I don't think she ever gave it a thought.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Return to “Against All Things Ending”