Will High Lord Kevin redeem himself?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Will High Lord Kevin redeem himself?

Post by DrPaul »

Well, obviously we don't know at this stage, but consider the following.

1. Some 8000 years after the Ritual of Desecration, Kevin is still bitter and twisted and hopelessly pessimistic, as evidenced by his response to Linden's resurrection of Covenant.

2. Berek has told Kevin that his crimes have not yet (my emphasis) been truly answered, and strongly hinted that Berek, Damelon and Loric will be making some kind of significant decision about Kevin before the night is over.

3. Quite a lot of the key players are in Andelain, the place to go for resurrections, and the Laws of Death and Life remain broken.

Is it not then plausible that what Kevin's forefathers have in mind is to both give Kevin the opportunity, and impose on him the responsibility, to truly answer his past misdeeds by having him resurrected to become one of Linden's companions and thus play a major part in averting or reversing whatever fate Lord Foul has in mind for the Land and the Earth?

Bear in mind that Keven, for all his mistakes, would probably still remember all Seven Wards of his lore and how to use them, and would undoubtedly be a very effective wielder of the Staff of Law in his own right, and a valuable source of advice to Linden about the Staff and its uses.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I won't say anything for or against this idea except that it's one of the most interesting and creative theories I've seen to date.
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

If he is resurrected then they (his fore-fathers) will need to come along for the ride to prevent him killing of LA. (no offence THOOLAH, but lets give her a chance, OPAL forever). That said however it would be cool to see KLW in the quest.

As to his wielding the SoL, Kevin's Dirt would affect him as much as others surly?
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

This is somewhat off-topic, but I find it interesting that Kevin uses the same imperative phrasing as the Giant trying to kill Linden ("*slay* her").
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

When did Berek tell Kevin "that his crimes have not yet (my emphasis) been truly answered:", and strongly hint that "Berek, Damelon and Loric will be making some kind of significant decision about Kevin before the night is over."

I think people put too much stock in Kevin. He was an abject failure.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Whoops. Didn't realize a chapter was out.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I'm very interested to know what Berek meant!

As for Kevin, he's a loser. He gave in to despair, and is incapable of climbing out of that pit. We've never seen him as anything but a jerk since. I don't think his personality is such that he could redeem himself. If the perfect situation was thrust upon him, where he could save everything if did A or B, I don't think he could see A or B as an option. Instead of acting out of hope and love, he'd act out of despair and anger, and he'd do Z instead, and all would be lost for good.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Possession and shackles

Post by SkurjMaster »

Wouldn't it be interesting if Kevin possessed the Giant (what is his name?) and the shackles prepared by the ur-viles are for Kevin?
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

If that was the case, why would the ur-viles show the manacles to RC?

I still reckon that KLW would make a great character, they would just nedd to be able to control him some how.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Will High Lord Kevin redeem himself?

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

DrPaul wrote:Well, obviously we don't know at this stage, but consider the following.

1. Some 8000 years after the Ritual of Desecration, Kevin is still bitter and twisted and hopelessly pessimistic, as evidenced by his response to Linden's resurrection of Covenant.

2. Berek has told Kevin that his crimes have not yet (my emphasis) been truly answered, and strongly hinted that Berek, Damelon and Loric will be making some kind of significant decision about Kevin before the night is over.

3. Quite a lot of the key players are in Andelain, the place to go for resurrections, and the Laws of Death and Life remain broken.

Is it not then plausible that what Kevin's forefathers have in mind is to both give Kevin the opportunity, and impose on him the responsibility, to truly answer his past misdeeds by having him resurrected to become one of Linden's companions and thus play a major part in averting or reversing whatever fate Lord Foul has in mind for the Land and the Earth?

Bear in mind that Keven, for all his mistakes, would probably still remember all Seven Wards of his lore and how to use them, and would undoubtedly be a very effective wielder of the Staff of Law in his own right, and a valuable source of advice to Linden about the Staff and its uses.
8O 8O 8O
Wow.
I **LOVE** that idea.
This series is all about Fathers and Sons and redemption.
It fits.
I would assume there's going to be a split.
TC and Linden are going to go on two different quests.
Linden has her team already.
I'd love it if TC's was made up of resurrected dead.
Foamfollower, Bannor, Mhoram, Kevin.....
That would be awesome.
Imagine the juxtaposition between Bannor and the Haruchai and between Mhoram and Kevin.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Holy cow, lots of nifty ideas/questions here.
Especially Kevin and crazy giant both used same statement...I didn't even remember that one.
I don't think most of it's going to happen...but still, coolness.
I don't think [or maybe I just hope] TC and Linden are going to separate after it took 2 books to get them together...but maybe.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Caesar
Woodhelvennin

Post by Caesar »

I'm re-reading the entire Chrons in prep for AATE and something clicked in my mind. So, in Chapter 3 of FR, Stave reminds us of the old legend that Berek would one day return. Well, until now, I always thought that meant that TC would be Berek's "avatar". I think most of us were there on that one...

Now, however, I wonder if Berek won't really return. Maybe, all the old High Lords will return? We met Berek in FR when LA and party could easily have avoided him...was SRD laying groundwork for the return of the Land's first hero?

Why would Berek come back to life? Maybe to keep an eye on LA? To help TC? To guard against Kevin, if Kevin is also returned to life?

I know this is speculation...but something about it really resounds within me...maybe just a crazy hope to see Berek in action side-by-side with TC!
Scientia non habet inimicum nisp ignorantem.
Fratres, quod in vitae spatium agimus in aeternum resonat.
Vis et Honor.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Why would Berek come back to life? Maybe to keep an eye on LA? To help TC? To guard against Kevin, if Kevin is also returned to life?
To lead the peoples of a new world...?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Caesar
Woodhelvennin

Post by Caesar »

Sure, but I don't buy that theory, personally...I know some people on KW seem to think that SRD will go that way with the story...I think it's too reminiscent of the Dark Tower stories...sort of solving the problem by starting over (pulling a rabbit out of the hat). I don't think SRD would stoop to that...but if he did, then Berek would be one of the best choices, definitely!
Scientia non habet inimicum nisp ignorantem.
Fratres, quod in vitae spatium agimus in aeternum resonat.
Vis et Honor.
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Maybe Kevin and Berek are resurrected, Kevin to atone for his crimes, Berek to enforce his compliance.

However only their combined earthpower is enough to overcome Anele's mental block, so they sacrifice themselves to free his mind so that 'the land's last hope' is fully in command of himself and his power.

IMHO that would be cool
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I brought this up in another thread.

It may not be what Kevin did in the far past... (RoD)

It what he might be doing in this period.

If Elena fell in her battle with Kevin, Foul may still holds sway over him.
(Even after his defeat by TC)

It may be one of those words Foul planted from Runes that may have caused dead Kevin to do something (Longwrath maybe) and this is the crime that Berek is speaking about.
The dead influencing the living and preventing "freedom of choice".
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I love some of the ideas in this..
But I personally don't think we need any more adventurers.. But we will see how the story pans out and no doubt it will be awesome.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”