The Hopboard challenge

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

The Hopboard challenge

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Who would like to play a game of hopboard?

I choose red and therefore I start:
F3 to E2
(I have made the horizontal 1-8 and the vertical A-H, counting from the top)
SLATFATF...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I wouldn't. I always hater checkers. Chess was always my favorite game. Speaking of chess, I'm noticing that in MN, there's a lot of one-on-one conflict that looks suspiciously like a chess match, run by Joyce. I hadn't noticed that the first time I read the books...
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Dan - they call it hopboard & the game, as described by Terisa, is the same game as checkers. And you are right, Joyce does treat life as a game of hopboard - why do you think he flipped out when Terisa's solution to a stalemate in his game with Havelock was to simlpy tilt all the players off the board & start over? This is tantamount to him killing off everyone he cares about & starting over in his quest to defeat Vagel & Caldwel.

Ylva - I'll have to brush up on my checkers rules & skills before I make a move!

Earthy
"You're afraid of yourself."
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Earthblood wrote:And you are right, Joyce does treat life as a game of hopboardEarthy
I was referring to how SRD made the confrontations in the book look like moves on a chessboard; I.E. Teresa vs. Emeris = White Queen vs. Black Bishop; kinda like that. Of course, it is actually a checkerboard, where all the pieces are more equal than on a chessboard, but, my background makes my see things in chess mode.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Ahh, I see what you are saying now - that is an interesting concept, one I never really put together b4 - I'll have to read with an eye toward that tendency - good one dAN!
"You're afraid of yourself."
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

My great-grandfather taught me how to play checkers. He loved the game, almost to distraction. I remember him saying once that chess was for people that had too much time on their hands.

I see ROdAN's point about MN conflicts looking more like chess. I have an image in my head of SRD chain-smoking cartons of cigarettes while writing MN! The intrigue is so convoluted at points, I had to re-read just to figure out who thought what of whom, and I still get :? .

I, too, prefer chess to checkers... I guess I have too much time on my hands! :)

DukkhaWaynhim
[Weird, warped, and taking names!]
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I love checkers, too! MSN messenger 6 has a checkers game in it. It's so much fun.

But how do we play the game you are suggesting, Ylva?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Just make a move and I will counter. This is of course rather hard since you have to either picture the board in front of you or have a board in front of you... Not impossible though.
SLATFATF...

Return to “Mordant's Need”