Battlestar Galactica...

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

I have been a fan of this show since it first aired. I was a die-hard fan of BSG:TOS (had the hots for Starbuck) and I was a bit taken aback when they made him into a HER for the new version! However, Katee Sackhoff does such a good job that not only did I accept the change but loved it!

I just bought Season 4 parts 1 & 2 (yeah, unfortunately I only just noticed they've combined the two recently) I also bought Razor as a separate entity middle of last year, so I was a bit peeved I've doubled up. I'm up to the last two episodes of the first half & I've been riveted throughout - definitely one of the best sci-fi series EVER.
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just remembering what's probably my favorite moment:
Brother Cavil: In all your travels, have you ever seen a star go supernova?

Ellen Tigh: No.

Brother Cavil: No? Well, I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the Universe. Other stars, other planets and eventually other life. A supernova! Creation itself! I was there. I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull! With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

Ellen Tigh: The five of us designed you to be as human as possible.

Brother Cavil: I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body! And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way!
Amazing moment! Amazing writing!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I just read that and it is good.....and I wondered, does it list our limitations or catalogue our potential?
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist and Faith wrote:Just remembering what's probably my favorite moment:
Brother Cavil: In all your travels, have you ever seen a star go supernova?

Ellen Tigh: No.

Brother Cavil: No? Well, I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the Universe. Other stars, other planets and eventually other life. A supernova! Creation itself! I was there. I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull! With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

Ellen Tigh: The five of us designed you to be as human as possible.

Brother Cavil: I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body! And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way!
Amazing moment! Amazing writing!
Great moment - damn I miss this show.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cail wrote:Dude, you'd love it. Seriously, one of the best shows ever aired.
Well, after finally getting this from Blockbuster online, I watched what I thought was the final disc of season 4 tonight.
Spoiler
They got to earth.
And that was it. Nothing else but that one shot. I thought it was kind of an odd ending, with so much of the plot unresolved. So I went online, read the series overview, and completely spoiled the end of this series. Every last frackin spoiler. I'm very pissed.

Apparently, Blockbuster's online service didn't list the last disc or two in their inventory. There are about 10 episodes left? Is that right? Anyway, I just wanted to warn anyone who might be renting it the same way.

Other than completely spoiling myself for the end, this has been a great series.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

That sucks, Z. I'd be mighty pissed having much of the ending spoiled for me. I nearly did the same thing as I was borrowing a co-worker's copies and she didn't seem to have things together enough that I knew that there was another season as well. I figured it out before the spoilers got too specific, thankfully.

And what are you doing going through Blockbuster anyway? I like Netflix, despite finding out yesterday that they are raising their prices. But I figured that was coming pretty soon, and as I am back to paying what I paid when I first joined, I guess I can't bitch too much. And Netflix (to my knowledge anyway) has the full version of films instead of edited versions like Blockbuster. I don't know if Blockbuster still does this, but they did when I was regularly going to their stores. I still haven't seen the full version of Requiem For A Dream. Then again, it was upsetting enough as it was.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Fist and Faith wrote:Brother Cavil: I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body! And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way!
Amazing moment! Amazing writing![/quote]
Agreed. For me, it was the best speech of the entire series.

I love Cavill. Just when I became sick of Baltar, he shows up and takes the show to another level.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

He looks way too boyish, to imagine him being a Tauron man of Bill's age at the time of Blood and Chrome Premiere/pilot (not enough experience in his eyes), but, ya know, if they bulk him up, he'll look less boyish, and the face really isn't far off. Again, because of the boyishness, it could be a great concern, but, I'm willing to see. The previous pic I saw, gave me greater concern. Remember how fresh faced John Sheridan looked in S2, versus the end of Babylon 5, that worked well
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

After years of recommendations from friends and co workers and thanks to the entire series being available on Netflix, I have finally begun watching BSG.
I'm currently on Season 3 - Episode 10 and I have to say I've been very entertained and extremely impressed with the show. The first thing that took my breath away was the commitment to motion picture quality sets and special effects. The show looks like it cost way too much to be a television series. The casting and performances are across the board excellent and I've yet to discover a "bad" episode thus far. With the upcoming long weekend for Labor Day I have no doubt that I'll be joining the rest of you in lamenting the end of the show. (I had a similar experience when I bought the entire Firefly series and was actually a little depressed that there were no more episodes.)
Just checking in as a belated fan of the series. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That's odd. The crappiest eps of them all are in the first half of season 3, I'm surprised you haven't noticed them. :P
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Murrin wrote:That's odd. The crappiest eps of them all are in the first half of season 3, I'm surprised you haven't noticed them. :P
As I am blasting through between 2 and 3 episodes a night and as many as 20 over the weekend I'm not well equipped to render verdicts on the "crappiness" of a particular episode(s). I do admit to have noticed my attention waning a bit over the last 2 nights but since I'm pretty much watching several years of programs in the space of only two weeks I think of each episode in terms of overall context, like a weak chapter in a fantastic book.
The quality of the production overall seems very consistent.
My only real complaint thus far is that the CGI centurions don't always seem well animated and occasionally appear less "in the room" than at other times.
It's a minor complaint I think.
Once I've completed watching the series and have time to let the experience marinate in my mind I'm sure I'll have more specific opinions.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

So what was the final verdict, aTOMiC? I'm currently rewatching the entire series, and having a blast. Some of the episodes that I thought were boring are now more interesting, given how they're informed by my knowledge of what's to come. The really deep themes and plot movements were being built into the show from early on in season 2.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We're re-watching as well, currently in Season 2.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Yep, season 2 for us. We're at the point where they just resolved the whole Pegasus issue.

Watching the various reactions to Sharon is very interesting. When Chief comes to Adama to defend Callie for shooting her, Adama asks him, "Could you have fallen in love with a machine?" And he states how she was a vital person, a member of their family/crew. But then when he sees the new Sharon, he wants to kill her. He calls her an "it." He treats her poorly ... but still he fights for his men against Pegasus when they accidentally kill Pegasus's interrogator. He defends his men for protecting a "machine."

I really like this oscillation. You can tell that Adama is struggling with this issue, even though he's not stating his struggle explicitly. No one represents a particular view ... rather, they all wrestle with the various positions on either side of the issue. And the philosophical "arguments" or points are shown, rather than told.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

BSG as a 90s RPG - major spoilers, minor blasphemy... it made me laugh. Everyone could use a laugh, right?

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

We just finished the whole series last night.

Something I've noticed (MAJOR SPOILER!!) ................

From the Tomb of Athena, we get the "position" of Earth based on the constellations. Well, those constellations are our constellations. From here. Earth. But we know from season 4 that the planet where those constellations perfectly match--while technically was a planet called "earth"--isn't our earth. Our earth was somewhere else.

Plot hole? Or it is possible that these two planets were close enough to have the same constellations? Surely the constellations would look a little different, even from the closest star systems to us (which probably don't have virtually identical earth-like planets orbiting them, or we would have discovered them by now). Come to think of it, I noticed the constellation Orion in the sky during a space scene--I believe it was involving Cylon baseships--long before they got to earth (the Cylon earth). Maybe that was around the nebula which "turned them on."

And... what the frak was Starbuck???

And...how the heck was "All Along the Watchtower" passed down perfectly from 150,000 years in the past? Couldn't the show creators have written their own song for that plotpoint??

What was special about the nebula that made the Final Four hear this song after the nebula?

How did Starbuck's dad know the song?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

And another thing .... (again, MAJOR SPOILERS)

If the original earth was a Cylon planet, then the humans' history has to be wrong. They didn't come from earth and form the 12 colonies (which were named after the 12 constellations as seen from earth). They must have come from some other planet. Which was never mentioned.

Or am I remembering incorrectly? Was Cobol their original planet? That doesn't seem to make sense, because the colonies were named after the constellation, which couldn't be seen from Cobol (except in the Tomb of Athena).
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Most of the time I just go with "because they were making things up as they go along" as the answer to these types of things.

Regarding your last one, though - the 12 colonies dispersed from the original home of Kobol, and Earth was recorded in legend as a 13th colony. Not sure if they ever established how the people of Kobol knew about Earth before the tribes all went off to their colonies, though.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Okay, that's right. That makes sense. I can even imagine that members of the 13th colony came back to Kobol to make the Tomb of Athena at some later point, to mark its place. But that doesn't explain why the 12 colonies were named after constellations that are only visible on the 13th, unless it was founded first, and then members moved from it to the others. But we know that can't be right, because it was only a Cylon planet. And why would a Cylon planet have the primary, dominant role in the 12 (human) colonies? There would have been already some kind of communication between the Cylon/Human colonies, and almost a reverent or subservient role for the humans, to have named their worlds after Cylon constellations.

It seems to be quite a lot of history forgotten by quite a lot of people. 2000 years isn't a very long time. Considering there was a war between humans and a whole planet of "skin jobs" only 2000 years ago, and then the human survivors were spread between 12 different planets, I don't see how the knowledge of the war--not to mention the knowledge of the skin jobs--was forgotten in that time. And we're talking about a space-faring race, a highly technical civilization.

Return to “TV Shows”