Battlestar Galactica...

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Matrixman wrote:Well, call me a fool. After I make the 'New Battlestar' thread, I find out this is where the Galactica club is passing around the secret handshakes. :roll:
Sorry MM, I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw this BG thread....I didn't even notice the one you started! :oops:
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

No big deal, Tulizar. Just funny, that's all. I didn't know there was already a BG thread in place, as it was buried in the back of the forum at the time.
Bucky OHare
Giantfriend

Post by Bucky OHare »

Hey WOW!!! have just seen the miniseries and first episode of the new BSG on Sky One. (why has it taken soooo long to get to Britain, or have i been a dipstick and just missed it?)

Loved the original, even though I was about 2 at the time, but this new version is truly the dogs bollocks. I love the new grittiness and the fact that the writers aren't afraid to kill off sweet little girls. It was all fantastic, especially that there are now cylons in disguise aboard the Galactica. Shame they went and spoilt it by showing who it was at the end of the miniseries.
Image The Artist Formerly Known as Dr Evil. :drevil:
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Darn, did I miss the first episode? I don't subscribe to TV Guide or whatever, so I didn't know when they were going to air it. Ah, well, my fault for not paying attention to the Space Channel lately.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

They just started the new series here this week. I'd initially missed the mini-series, but I was so impressed with what I saw that I've rushed out and bought it on DVD.

I loved the original BG, but I love what they've done with it. IMO they've taken the spirit and concept of the original series and given it teeth and claws. It's so dark and frightening. Did anyone else find the Cylon's 33rd minute attack really unsettling? It seems exactly how machines would fight: continual small attacks until your soft, organic foe is unable to fight back.

I'll definitely try and keep up with this series.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Dr Evil wrote:Hey WOW!!! have just seen the miniseries and first episode of the new BSG on Sky One. (why has it taken soooo long to get to Britain, or have i been a dipstick and just missed it?)
I had a look round for a series website, and I don't think the new series is being shown in the States until January, so I think we're all guinea pigs. Yay, we get something first for once!
Fist and Faith wrote:When she first mentioned it to Baltar, I thought she meant she only had 12 bodies. But after that final scene, I assume there are 12 models, probably with more than 12 bodies each. I don't think their resources would only allow them to make 12 bodies of each, no matter how expensive each body is.
One thing I wanted to know was, at the end of the miniseries:
Spoiler
Were there 12 humanoid cylons, or 11? It didn't make it clear if the one Adama killed was transmitted back home, or if its mind died with its body on Ragnar.
Bucky OHare
Giantfriend

Post by Bucky OHare »

Nav wrote:I had a look round for a series website, and I don't think the new series is being shown in the States until January, so I think we're all guinea pigs. Yay, we get something first for once!
yeah, we rock!
Nav wrote:Did anyone else find the Cylon's 33rd minute attack really unsettling? It seems exactly how machines would fight: continual small attacks until your soft, organic foe is unable to fight back.
Spoiler
yeah, the 33rd minute attack thing was really scary, though i didn't get quite why they stopped. They destroyed the Olympic and that was it. why? 2nd episode not quite as creepy, though i guess they can't keep that kind of thing up forever, and its starting to get a little bit soppy.
Image The Artist Formerly Known as Dr Evil. :drevil:

Post by Guest »

It's been like a year or something since the initial battlestar galactica pilot and I've almost totally forgot about it!
I wonder why it took them so long to follow it up? :?:
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Man, I got the whole original series too. (or at least, my mom does) I dont know why, but the shiny robots scared the pants off me when I was little. Who know?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

UrVilesilencer wrote:It's been like a year or something since the initial battlestar galactica pilot and I've almost totally forgot about it!
I wonder why it took them so long to follow it up? :?:
A decision about producing a series was not made until after the Mini Series ratings were in and analyzed. It was originally announced to begin in November, but I guess with EarthSea and Farscape PeaceKeeper Wars, they wanted to spreadout the budget dollars spent, so, opted to hold it until January. Plus, if they sold it overseas, maybe they delayed it, so, if the ratings with the series were bad in the US, it wouldn't damage the saleability of the broadcast rights?
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Saw another ep last night. It had Richard Hatch in it! He was actually very good and I expect we'll be seeing quite a bit more of him. It was a bit of a character episode, with no space battles, but it was still pretty good. We got to see Starbuck taking over some of Apollo's duties as lead pilot whilst he's off with the President, and some more friction between her and Ty. The new Boxy has been quite funny so far, and may just become the first non-annoying child character in sci-fi.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Ooh, I know I'm the only one posting but this show is very, very good. They've now started to drop some pretty strong hints about the motivation of the cylons and it's dark, disturbing and hits rather close to home...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I finally figured out that they're airing the show Saturday evenings where I am. Definitely will catch tomorrow's episode. Too bad I missed the one with Hatch, but I do hope he sticks around. Yessir, the pilot miniseries surpassed expectations, and it's good to hear that the show is not letting up in quality.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I agree, BG has ended up being a very pleasant surprise. Very gritty and dark.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I just watched the ep with Hatch. It took me a loooooooong time to recognize the voice. Finally, I was, "That's Apollo!!" lol He was very good.

I really liked 33, also. I can't imagine going through all that without sleep. Nasty business!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

BSG

Post by taraswizard »

XBATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SCI FI, FRIDAYS, 10 P.M. E.T.) Intelligent life in space? The most anyone could have expected from a remake of the campy '70s series was better haircuts. Instead, Galactica has been reborn as a dark, thrilling story of a deep-space war between humans and the Cylons, a race of robots created by mankind that can disguise themselves in human form. In an intriguing twist on the old series, the new Cylons have a religion and justify their genocide as punishment for humans' corruption. The humans must weigh fear vs. liberty and military vs. civilian authority. As a spacebound parable of the war on terrorism, this series hits eerily close to Earth.
The above is from Time context is their essay regarding the six best dramas on TV. I need to say I have really enjoyed SciFi's cable series concluding next Friday, April 1.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Please dump the human-looking cylons and make them LOOK like machines!!!!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Anyone watching the second series?

I love this show but I worry about the direction it went last week.
Below is from last weeks show and some midseason stuff I read online.
Spoiler
Human/Cylon baby farms with love as the missing ingredient? I mean WTF? Let me say that again. WTF?
I just don't get it.
Actually I get it but i don't think it interests me.

I also heard some of the midseason story plans yesterday.
Cain returns!
But like Starbuck he's a she.
Ok, whatever..........
Also she's an Admiral so there's a shift in command.
The Pegasus did an emergency blind jump and some other stuff I can't remember.
Oh, and the Pegasus is one of the new battlestars so it will be interesting seeing what it looks like!
I'll try to find the link if anyone is interested.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Holy shizzle!
Spoiler
Cain returns?!?! Very cool, but it won't be the same without Lloyd Bridges
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Cail wrote:Holy shizzle!
Spoiler
Cain returns?!?! Very cool, but it won't be the same without Lloyd Bridges
Yeah, he was the best for that part.
Hey what is that stick or rod he used to carry?
What is it called?
Patton and MacArthur carried one too.

(keep the answer clean :D )
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “TV Shows”