Battlestar Galactica...

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Swagger stick.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spoiler
On the plus side, Cain is apparently going to be played by Michelle Forbes (Ensign Ro on Star Trek TNG). I always like her, and was kinda hoping when talks about the 4th series (Which turned out to be Enterprise) were still in their young stage, I was hoping the 4th series would be Maquis based with Ensign Ro as a regular
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

This is gonna be so cool!!!!!

Remember the scene in the original when Baltar is watching the Galactica getting creamed? One of the Centurions tries to tell him something, and he shushes it. And in its monodrone, metallic voice, it says, "But sir, I really think you should take a look at the other Battlestar."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That was hands-down the best episode in the old series. "Living Legend", wasn't it?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yup, that was the best. A two-parter, iirc. My favorite part of the series was the Nomen, and Baltar's Escape was another good episode.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Finally got around to watching the 4 hour mini-series this weekend. I still dig the Viper, but I have to admit that space battles with no sound effects kinda turn me off. Of course I realize that that's closer to reality, but still.....
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh man, I absolutely love the space battles with no sound effects!!! :D :D :D Actually, I get annoyed when they do throw in some sound effects. It's amazing to see a Viper launch silently, but then I'm always disappointed when they throw in a roar a few seconds later.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

They get the explosions right, too, so it's all good in my book (I always take the slight noise to be the sound from inside the cabin... *shrug*)

What really gets me, though, is they have all the military minutiae right. Like setting Condition 3, all of that. The salutes are kind of off sometimes, and I still haven't figured out how a commander outranks a colonel, but other than that...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I guess there's some differences between the rankings of the U.S.'s military and that of the other twelve colonies? :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The salutes are kind of off sometimes, and I still haven't figured out how a commander outranks a colonel,
For some reason there is a blend of military ranks - there shouldn't be a colonel on a naval vessel (not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know, Syl.)

It kinda bugs me that they are using projectile weapons also.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Another thing I love is watching the Vipers maneuver! Those babies can turn on a dime! :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, with Chiefs, Sgts, Petty Officers (yeah!... though the only two I've seen are women), and so forth. Perhaps Commander refers to commander of a battlestar (say, how Commander of the Pacific Fleet is an admiral), but it seems to be used like a rank.

Dunno about the projectiles, though. I mean, we still haven't figured out anything that would be an efficient means of delivering large amounts of energy. Pretty sure their small arms are at least coil guns, though. There's no muzzle flash, smoke, or anything. And I wouldn't be surprised if their crew served weapons were more along the lines of rail guns.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

DAMN I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! :D :D :D Another awesome episode!!

AND NEXT WEEK IS THE PEGASUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, there goes my theory on their small arms. Definately shells, casings, muzzle flash and smoke, etc.
-George Steiner
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

The projectile weapons struck me as being a bit odd too. I keep half expecting them to make a jump and immediately get shot by the bullets they fired a few episodes back. Maybe they're set to detonate after a certain period of time, but it really isn't a good idea to fill space with thousands of flying bullets. I'm not so bothered by their hand guns (which sound a lot like the good ol' MagSec 4 from Perfect Dark), as we've seen Galactica's hull absorb the impact of a tactical nuke already. Still, they take them aboard the other ships. I guess they didn't want to look too much like Star Trek or Babylon 5.

What really did stick in my craw was the episode where Tom Zarek was introduced and they sent Starbuck over to play sniper. I find it impossible to believe that the fleets best pilot just happens to be the best sharpshooter too. They could have had her accompany a marine sniper, who gets whacked on the head or something. Would have made a bit more sense.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!!!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh my god that was intense!! The Cylon parts really made the show!!! First time we've ever seen Baltar's mind-Cylon with shock or horror on her face. That was great!! But what must they have done to HER (that is, her clone), of all characters, to reduce her to that state! Best not to know. And then there's Sharon's near-fate.

I've touched on this in other forums, and here it is now. What the Cylons did is certainly unforgivable, and I can understand people wanting revenge. But treating them like that does little more than show the Pegasus crew to be sadistic animals.

I'll tell you, Caine's an idiot!! She's still concerned with nothing but military protocol/chain of command/all that. So she'll literally go to war with the only other surviving humans? Forget about right & wrong! Humanity has a better chance with two Battlestars, even if they go their separate ways and never see each other again, than with what's left of them after they fight each other. If the only other military ship in existence decides the military structure will be different, then it will be different!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I thought it was interesting and bizarre at the same time.

It was interesting seeing how Starbuck got instantly shutdown as soon as she spoke out at the meeting.
And how Apollo was treated.

The politics behind the fleet and Cain wasn't touched on though.
It was weird.
Cain doesn't seem to care that the last of humanity in the fleet.
I also wonder if she's going to continue to find Earth.
I bet not.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I really need to start recording this show. I'm lost in the storyline, but man, what a good episode last night. I'll have to check and see when Sci-Fi reruns the whole season so I can catch up.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I wonder just how psychotic Cain and the Pegasus crew will be revealed to be. It seems quite a bit. The fate of Cain's former XO (sp?), their joy in torture, Cain's complete lack of concern for the civilian fleet... Seems like a ship of the damned, or a ghost ship, or something.

In TOS, there was a moment when the Pegasus crew was criticizing the Galactica for not being more aggressive against the Cylons, citing some of their own raids/military victories. The Galactica crew pointed out that the Pegasus was unburdened by a large, ragtag fleet of non-military ships, filled with people who needed protection. That was a good moment.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “TV Shows”