Battlestar Galactica...

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

What I liked best about BG was the Viper - the small one-man fighter. But even as a child I thought it strange that the whole ship could be flown by a single joystick with three buttons, labeled "FIRE," "THRUST" and "IM" But what the heck was that IM button?

Anyone remember what a daggit was?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:What I liked best about BG was the Viper - the small one-man fighter. But even as a child I thought it strange that the whole ship could be flown by a single joystick with three buttons, labeled "FIRE," "THRUST" and "IM" But what the heck was that IM button?

Anyone remember what a daggit was?
The Daggit was a mechanized "dog". All of the real daggits were killed or couldn't be brought along for the ride. I don't remember what the IM stood for (if I find out I'll post it) but the Vipers were very cool.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

yes it was the dumb little robot-dog that made the series so sappy! :D IM stood 4 "Implode Me!" :twisted:
Last edited by danlo on Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

danlo wrote:yes it was the dumb little robot-dog that made the series so sappy! :D
Indeed. :lol:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

MEGATON dAN wrote:I just want to know; if it's the future, and society has advanced so much, then why they all have those crappy '70's haircuts? :screwy:
Yeah, I was gutted when 1999 rolled around and we weren't flying around on the moon and wearing beige spandex. I was looking forward to getting one of those knuckle-duster type guns too. :cry:
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I also seem to remember from BG them coming across some of our relatives who lived on a planet that was, like ours at the time, divided into a totaltarian East bloc, and a democratic Western bloc. Although that was before they found Earth. Amazing how they develop.

I also seem to remember, though I didn't really watch the later episodes, being annoyed by that little kid with the uber-intelligence.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I also seem to remember from BG them coming across some of our relatives who lived on a planet, though not Earth, that was, like ours at the time, divided into a totaltarian East bloc, and a democratic Western bloc. Amazing, the similarities of how we develop!

I also seem to remember, though I didn't really watch the later episodes, being annoyed by that little kid with the uber-intelligence.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah Damelon, those Nazi types took in Baltar when he escaped. But the best part about that episode was the No Men (no idea if that's how it's spelled), who were quote Haruchai-like in their speed and fighting skill, as well as their reserved manner.

ANYWAY, I watched the first part of this remake, and REALLY liked it!! Anybody else see it? I really couldn't care less about any changes that they make, like Starbuck, Boomer, and Lucifer's replacement being women this time around, as long as things are done well. Which I think they are. The friction, to put it lightly, between Apollo and his father is cool.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Tomcatter
Servant of the Land

Post by Tomcatter »

BG Was good, but i found the cyclons where coooooool.

I always wondered this.

In the film, the Cyclons where going to kill Balter becuase he failed to destroy the entire fleet. The last thing you saw in the film with him in, was the cyclons going for the knifes to cut his neck.

Then all of a sudden he is leading the Cyclons in the series.

Has anyone seen the new version yet? if so what is it like, and when does it come out in the uk ?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I've seen the 4-hour miniseries. I really like it! :D Great retelling. Some interesting twists on the characters. Some big surprises. I was a fan of the original, and am a fan of the new. I hope they make it ongoing.

And if they do, they'd better have those No Men!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

Cylons...or Sylons...not sure how you spell it, but thats how you say it

i couldnt bring myself to watch the miniseries...too different...ill catch the rerun though, but i REALLY didnt like the idea of them just being "cyborgs"...just seemed really bogus to me...kinda like a copout...

i saw the behind the scenes special on sunday, and the new cylons looked cool, the reimagined originals, but that was it...
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, new miniseries-wise, none of the Cylons are cyborgs. I guess they're all AI, which is how they began.

The "reimaged originals" don't appear to be anything more than programmed robots. But since they were, more or less, what the originals Cylons, who were definitely AI, looked like, they're probably aware/intelligent too.

The Cylons who appear, even under extremely close examination, to be human, are not explained well enough yet to know how to classify them. They are fully organic, but synthetic, with interesting abilities that are more computer-like than human. And apparently stronger than human.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Fist and Faith wrote: ANYWAY, I watched the first part of this remake, and REALLY liked it!! Anybody else see it? I really couldn't care less about any changes that they make, like Starbuck, Boomer, and Lucifer's replacement being women this time around, as long as things are done well. Which I think they are. The friction, to put it lightly, between Apollo and his father is cool.
Even though the original series was so freaking lame, I loved it! I watched the remake and thoroughly enjoyed it. Life on the Galactica seemed more gritty and true to life--more Aliens than Star Trek.
The space dogfights seemed more realistic with the use of thrusters that allowed for true 360 degree (??) combat--sort of reminded me of Asteroids!
I loved that Starbuck still smoked those nasty cigars, the second in command was an old drunk who must now pull himself together, and Apollo must work side by side with his father whom he blames for his brother's death. I want more!
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:D Glad to see someone else liked it! I really liked the end when Starbuck told Ty
Spoiler
"You're weak, and you're a drunk."
Now go ahead and put her in the brig, if you think you can spare her. We'll see who's more indispensible.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Guest »

Amen! :D
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

that was me...wasn't logged in.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
tomo
Stonedownor

Post by tomo »

This was just shown over two nights on Kiwi television.

By crikey, it was impressive. To me, the special effects were the most realistic I've ever seen. Spaceships were actually dark, and the use of camera angles - where is it, oh look, there it is, now zoom in - was very reminiscent of Crusade, may it rest in peace.

The music was very understated, tuned percussion mostly, never got in the way but instead emphasised what was going on.

And the story. Admittedly I was firstly interested in how faithful it would be to the original. When something is promoted as a 're-imagining' (is that even a real word?) I immediately think of Planet of the Apes. Gagh. Would they have that irritating kid Boxy and the until-now mentally blotted out character played by Jane Seymour? How about Starbuck's 'dancer' friend? But after the first few minutes, I no longer cared. I was enjoying it for what it was.

The characters were interesting, and what twists there were (such as the previously mentioned female Starbuck) were only the beginning, not the end. The Dr Bashir clone who played Baltar - especially in scenes with his imaginary friend - was particularly rounded and entertaining.

I didn't understand the Cylon humanoids. Were there 12 models or does each one have 12 bodies? If the consciousness is transferred when a body 'dies', what happens to the consciousness already in the new one? Or is it like Gilbert Goseyn in A E van Vogt's Null A books? Are all versions of a model aware of what's going on in the others, or just at the moment of death? Doubtless all will be revealed when the series airs, and I read that they'll be starting the shooting of the first 13 episodes in March.

Overall, each of my 12 bodies gives this two thumbs up, and I really look forward to the DVD, when I can watch it again but without all those irritating commercial breaks.

Tom
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

When she first mentioned it to Baltar, I thought she meant she only had 12 bodies. But after that final scene, I assume there are 12 models, probably with more than 12 bodies each. I don't think their resources would only allow them to make 12 bodies of each, no matter how expensive each body is.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I loved when the Vipers were launching, and there was no roar of engines as they went into space. Very cool, and a little eerie. But most important - realistic!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

I thought that the conciousness of the cyborg could enter any other human until I saw the end of the miniseries. Then I assumed there were 12 models with multiple quantities of each. I'm a little confused--hopefully all will be explained in the series.

I loved the darkness of the new BG. Many of the survivors of the cylon invasion are left to die in space because there isn't enough room for all of them to make the hyper-drive escape. Their jumbled, static-ridden message cursed all of those aboard the Galactica to hell. It not only created a creepy image of guilt, but also emphasized the sacrifices made by everyone so that the survivors could live to fight another day. I hope these subtleties aren't lost in the series.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well, call me a fool. After I make the 'New Battlestar' thread, I find out this is where the Galactica club is passing around the secret handshakes. :roll:

Anyway, it's nice to see all the positive opinions on the remake, or "re-imagining." But it's also good to have at least one dissenting opinion here, courtesy of theDespiser.

Return to “TV Shows”