Current AFL Season!!!

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Re: 2010 AFL Season!!!

Post by Landwaster »

SleeplessOne wrote:
Landwaster wrote:Amusing to today see a post on Bigfooty from a member called "UrLordUnbeliever" ... just HAD to send an abusive PM :D

Own up, which are yer!
:lol: yes I noticed this a week or so ago, I sent the person a PM but as yet no reply ...

... can imagine this person at the footy "Hellfire, just kick the bloody thing !"
Hehe I got a reply, they said they visit here sometimes, am waiting for the expose :D I think they were an Essendon fan. I might have scared them a little, accosting them out of the blue.

"the offering of a lead bestows honour upon the ballcarrier" :D
Last edited by Landwaster on Tue May 10, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

StevieG wrote:Let me know if you find anything out!

Big game Friday SO - Cats v Pies! What's your tip?
As a disgruntled old Roys tragic, I don't follow AFL much anymore, but do keep an eye on local level footy. But I'd have to say the Pies are just too on-song at the moment, much to my chagrin.

I did like seeing some Suns matches. I can get into them a little as they were never an opponent of Fitzroy. And the early hidings they were receiving felt warmly familiar :D
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

2010 AFL Season!!!

Post by SleeplessOne »

StevieG wrote:Let me know if you find anything out!

Big game Friday SO - Cats v Pies! What's your tip?
I'm a Cats man as you may recall Stevie G, but looking at it objectively I would have to tip the Pies.
Geelong have been great so far, I couldnt ask for much more from them, but unfortunately I can't see them matching Collingwood for class and firepower at this stage.
I'm sure there are plenty of contenders at this stage, but every time I have seen Scott Pendlebury this season he looks like a Brownlow-worthy player ..

having said that : Go Cats ! :wink:
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

The VAFA Roys had their first win for 2011 on the weekend :)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

This season is shaping up to be very interesting for those one or two Aussies interested in AFL :lol:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Most of my mates, being old Fitzroy fans, are Brisbane fans now. I'm not so sure they are sharing in your enthusiasm :D

I don't pay much attention to AFL (the league) but I note that the Cats are showing some cracks.

Fitzroy in the local ammos are 3 & 2 at the moment, they'll probably be middle of the table again.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

StevieG, if by interesting you mean tear-one's-hair-out frustrating, then yes, yes it is. (Said by North Melbourne supporter who is learning what it's like to be a Richmond supporter! :lol: :cry:) The only upside of our effort on the weekend is, assuming Carlton win tonight, it'll prevent one of our tippers getting 4 bonus points and pulling further ahead of yours truly who is on the bottom of the tipping ladder! 8O
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It's interesting in that it is very hard to predict who is going to win each week which is good (except for when you're team is the shock loser :lol: )

Brissie aren't looking great, but then who'd have predicted the doggies knocking of North Melb?? (sorry SdS, I have a soft spot for North as they are a pseudo-home team and at least are playing a few games in Tassie).

Cats are looking shaky but could easily rebound this week. Pies are all over the place, West Coast just got smashed by the bombers, Richmond just demolished Sydney!! Even GWS have pulled one out of the hat and beaten Gold Coast.

And I note that St Kilda are slightly ahead at half time against Carlton - crazy!!

One thing's for sure though, Melbourne are crap! Having said that, who knows what will happen - they have some talent.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Missed your post here StevieG.

Yes, one of the best AFL seasons in terms of predictability and spots up for grabs. I'm loving it. And I seem to be mirroring my team's form with my tipping; have dragged myself up from the bottom of the ladder to 2pts off the lead. (I should own up here and say there are only 7 of us in the comp and I think one of them has stopped tipping! :lol: I'm in NSW so getting an AFL work tipping comp up and running is a battle. That said, I have converted my best mate who never really watched League but is lapping up AFL. Poor bastard chose to support Melbourne though 8O.)

So, I haven't gone far enough back in this thread but reading between the lies StevieG, you are a Pies boy yes? Only joking about my threat to cut all cyber ties, I'm actually not a cliched Pie-hater at all, though the majority of my family is!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yes, most of the people I know either support the Pies, or hate them! Most of them say that it's because of the supporters, which I find ironic in most cases :lol:

I"m 7th out of 14 in my tipping comp, and unlikely to improve. Maybe one or two more places... I missed the first two weeks which didn't help.

After the weekend, I'm thinking Hawthorn are the latest premiership favourites. But it's so much harder to predict this year.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Fitzroy just hit the skids in VAFA Premier C after something like 7 straight wins. Had a couple of tall forwards out - also a brimming ruckman, and got flogged in our last two matches. Annoying. Still hoping to be in the mix for promotion to Premier B come finals time.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Hi Landwaster, what does VAFA stand for? (aka, where is the comp based?)
Are you playing with Fitzroy or supporting?

Hey StevieG, each club has their um... "character" supporters (I think I may be inferring 'wanker' in the subtext there :lol:) and once it's in people's heads that a certain club has a higher percentage of these characters, it seems a hard perception to shake. For me, the anti-Pie'ness feels more like an ingrained kind of prejudice, passed down from generation to generation, mixed with the usual resentment of financially well-off, successful clubs. I think I ended up not hating Collingwood (and indeed supporting them at times) as a rebellion against this, and against my father/brother who are primal/unthinking in their Collingwood-hate.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Heya, its the Victorian Amateur Football Association. The Fitzroy playing there is the old VFL/AFL Fitzroy (licence to play in the AFL comp removed end 1996, a few players went to Brisbane Lions).

I'm an old Fitzroy fan who would watch us take on the Pies etc through the 80s/90s. A lot of us follow Fitzroy in the VAFA now rather than the merged entity (Brisbane).

Local footy at its finest, the atmosphere is a pleasure. In our case, the only way to hurt us who had lost everything, by giving us back something broken, backfired on the buggers :)
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Yep, I know the old Fitzroy. My Dad is a long-time supporter, though unlike you, did end up supporting the Brisbane Lions. (He also moved to QLD about the time they were established, so that helped.) Which is where my confusion came in because your location is Brisbane, so I wondered how you could attend Vic games? Or do you attend with heart and head via the internet?

P.S. I think I mentioned elsewhere, Fitzroy were our local club where we lived; the players would come to our primary school and do training days etc. (Included Paul Roos at the time, but I can't remember who else.) Robert Walls also lived over the road. We took a football over to get him to sign it one year for Dad's birthday :D.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Heheh yeah I was Melbourne but due to illness issues have ended up in Bris since 2009.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Sorry StevieG, but it needs to be said....

GO ROOS!!!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:Sorry StevieG, but it needs to be said....

GO ROOS!!!
Yeah yeah! All laughs now :evil:

Your North boys are looking the business at the moment - let's hope they don't choke for the finals (the North version of the colliwobbles) ;)

Adelaide also got knocked off this week, so it's still a very interesting season!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well! It's west coast v pies, and Fremantle v Adelaide in the semi's. Commiserations Shaun and SleeplessOne for your team's efforts.

My renewed prediction is Hawks v West Coast final, but I haven't checked the draw yet...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

I think the most descriptive thing I can say is.... :cry: :cry:

Apart from the humiliation/loss of respect, it's not so bad being smashed. At least you're never in it enough to have your hopes dashed.

I played my part. Scarf, hat, membership badge and sat through most of it, albeit with the aid of alcohol.

Predictions... hmmm.. given what happened this weekend (Freo mostly), that's a mug's game! That said, this mug is wondering about a Hawthorn Sydney GF.

ETA: And good luck StevieG! (It's too hard to say good luck Pies but I can cope with wishing you good luck :wink: )
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Fitzroy worked their guts out to make the second semi in VAFA C, only to get smacked by Parkdale. We need to win next week to gain promotion to B Grade.

Return to “Sports”