Who are [don't read unless you've read the new chapter]...

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Who are [don't read unless you've read the new chapter]...

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Spoiler
the Demimages of Vidik Amar?
Spoiler
The only candidates I can come up with right out of any group we know are the croyel.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Far as I know that's the first time they've ever been mentioned. From the name, I don't think they are what you suggested... I could be wrong though.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

They have never been mentioned anywhere in the Chronicles. I doubt they're the croyel. I'm sure we're about to find out.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It's an interesting theory, if I recall correctly, their civilization was destroyed by their despite before Foul could make use of them, and that could be why the croyel are so far and in between... possibly why they were destroyed.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

No clue who they are. Just thrilled and chilled to hear about a new race from a distant part of the Earth.
That world suddenly got just a little bigger. 8)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I have a feeling the distant past chunks won't actually be detailed/affect the story...they're atmosphere/set-pieces/background that are there mainly do show just how much larger TC was [the world, too, and LF's manipulations], and how much he's lost by being merely mortal flesh again.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Vraith wrote:I have a feeling the distant past chunks won't actually be detailed/affect the story...they're atmosphere/set-pieces/background that are there mainly do show just how much larger TC was [the world, too, and LF's manipulations], and how much he's lost by being merely mortal flesh again.
I tend to agree. I really don't think we need another new race introduced at this late stage; we already have the Insequent to figure out.
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

re: new race

Post by thranathiril »

I assumed, after reading chapter 1, that it is a throwaway reference, just like the "rods of the five wizards" reference in Saruman's rant against Gandalf.

In other words, it's a reference to something that we will never see, and is irrelevant to the main storyline of the Chronicles.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

Augh. F--k all of you. :P I wanna see these guys, dammit!!!

*Starts THOOVADPI*
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

:lol: :lol:
Now, now Mig. S. I never said I wouldn't want to see them...but I'd want to see Uma Thurman in my local bar and take here home with me...just don't think it's gonna happen...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

as in images?

as in imaging?

as in Mordant's Need?

I'd prefer it if it WERE the croyel!!!!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Vraith wrote:I have a feeling the distant past chunks won't actually be detailed/affect the story...they're atmosphere/set-pieces/background that are there mainly do show just how much larger TC was [the world, too, and LF's manipulations], and how much he's lost by being merely mortal flesh again.
Agreed. Like the Elohim and Bhrathair were mentioned by Amok in the First Chonicles.

He also mentioned "the race who later gave birth to Kasreyn of the Gyre."

Hmmm.....
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Mighara Sovmadhi may be on to something. Why would SRD put them in? They well may be the critters. Just a reminder that there was a past, and it would tie upthe origins in a sentence or two.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

I think we might be able to glean new information about them by translating the words
Spoiler
Vidik Amar
Knowing SRD, it's likely that those words are derived from Hebrew or Hindi or something. And of course 'Demi' is Latin for 'half', but it's hard to guess what that means...
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Solar wrote:I think we might be able to glean new information about them by translating the words
Spoiler
Vidik Amar
Knowing SRD, it's likely that those words are derived from Hebrew or Hindi or something. And of course 'Demi' is Latin for 'half', but it's hard to guess what that means...
Hebrew? Amar fits the Hebrew verb for Said but Vidik doesn't really fit any Hebrew word. If it was Vedic I would say its Hindi, but it's Vidik. Hmmm.

What I was curious about in this chapter was what role do these Timewarden memories Covenant reels for us have for the rest of the book. Will he remember them or were they simply for our knowledge?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I thought it was just the official/real name of the Viles and the name of their "kingdom" or "realm" under the Earth.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I thought it was just the official/real name of the Viles and the name of their "kingdom" or "realm" under the Earth.
Now that's an interesting thought.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:What I was curious about in this chapter was what role do these Timewarden memories Covenant reels for us have for the rest of the book. Will he remember them or were they simply for our knowledge?
That's a good question. Kind of like much of what Anele reads in the rock, that serves to fill in some of the backstory... or relevant to the story still to come?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I thought it was just the official/real name of the Viles and the name of their "kingdom" or "realm" under the Earth.
Does that fit with the timeline for the Viles' corruption that we've learned? What about the Despiser's abandoning these "demimages"? He seems to have held on to the legacy of the Demondim for a long time.
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:What I was curious about in this chapter was what role do these Timewarden memories Covenant reels for us have for the rest of the book. Will he remember them or were they simply for our knowledge?
Even if Covenant loses all of the memories, those that we've glimpsed in the first chapter may still turn out to be important to the story later on.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”