Earth Blood and the Truth

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Earth Blood and the Truth

Post by Blackhawk »

OK... i am more than halfway through FR, Linden used the Earthblood with "show me the Truth" now that is a pretty wide open use... and i assumed that using the earthblood was not a temporary thing.. especially since it broke the law of death and not only for the one time of Kevin to attack foul... now since Linden asked to be shown the truth I guess it depends on what was in her head when she commanded it. but i thought it would be more like the Giants being given the gift of tongues.. that Linden would be able to see any falsehood that was spoken to her or shown to her..by anyone or anything from that time forward, maybe im premature with this post since im only a little more than halfway done. also this may have already been discussed. I just couldnt find it
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Blackhawk, I had the very same feelings for a long time. That Linden should have gotten a lot more truth than she got.

However, upon re-reading, it seems her command was not directed at the Earth, but directed at Jeremiah and Roger.
In [u]Fatal Revenant[/u] was wrote:With the full force of the Power of Command, she demanded of her companions, "Show me the truth!"
In essense, she compelled Jeremiah and Roger to show her the truth. So that's what she got. And that's all she got.

The Power of Command is also supposed to be limited: It holds no sway over anything which is not a natural part of the Earth's creation. Somehow, that doesn't apply here. Perhaps because of the nature of the command.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Yea, think you got it WF on the truth.
On the "holds no sway"...Rog. and Jer. aren't part of the earth's creation, but the power/illusion that was hiding them was of the earth.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sammadhi
Stonedownor

Post by sammadhi »

im thinking SRD wasn't as concerned about her PoC as much as the staffs immersion into the BotE. although you might disagree, her command was meant to be limited with no future benefit. he primarily wanted the staff to gain pure earth power channeled through it. IMHO
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I agree, that the way Linden drew power from the Earthblood was important. It did, after all, blacken the Staff. And then Caer Caveral remarked on the significance of that blackness.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I always thought the blackness was akin to a wire that luckily survived too much current...built for power, but not THAT much power [heh...that can cause houses to burn down...or mountains to split...also probably a relative of the fact that a mortal being can only swallow and use "the power of command" once]...the staff more than capable of channeling power equal to a mortal's will and limits...not a direct channel from the generator. [and the rune-ing of it, to continue a so-so analogy, adding switches and breakers..or maybe better, printing the circuit board]
On the earlier point...it's all in the phrasing and the nature of the power...the command is good for one "act" so to speak, whatever the time involved to execute it...if Linden had said something like "let me always see the truth..." it might have worked for anything LF hadn't directly touched...but at what price to her mortal frame and mind? Could she have survived that? And remained herself? Or even sane?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote: And then Caer Caveral remarked on the significance of that blackness.
Erm, you meant Caerroil Wildwood, right? ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aliantha wrote:
wayfriend wrote: And then Caer Caveral remarked on the significance of that blackness.
Erm, you meant Caerroil Wildwood, right? ;)
Doh!

I agree with you, Vraith, about the blackness was from drawing so much power.

But I think that there's more too it than that. In the Land, using something and becoming something are very related. The Staff of Law became part of Law itself as it was used. I think that because Linden drew so much power through the Staff, it has changed her relationship with the Staff, and the relationship of the Staff with Earthpower.

The blackness is now the visible reminder of that change. It's a symbol. This is what Caerroil Wildwood (:P) recognized, I feel.
In [u]Fatal Revenant[/u] was wrote:"This blackness is lamentable" - his tone itself was elegiac - "but I will not alter it. Its import lies beyond my ken."
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

Maybe the blackness is Vain starting to emerge! Woot! :)
sammadhi
Stonedownor

Post by sammadhi »

and by emerge you mean, what? that he'll withdraw from the staff or he will have a greater influence on the staff's effects? its a valid thought.

however, i would say neither. i believe if it had been the old staff, splinters would have remained. this staff's creation was taking 2 lives and making 1 purpose. although its basic make-up is 2 living entities, they become 1 breathing life-force. once the fusion took place, it would be like pulling out your own heart and expecting it and yourself to live without the other.

as for the burnt wire theory, it would make sense if it was only a wire. however we are talking about a sentient artifact of extraordinary potential. like all living creatures, that which doesn't kill only makes stronger. the charred appearance might be like a wound or even scar tissue. it might possibly heal or only add to its nature.

im banking on those runes helping to solidify the nature of the staff's influence of law. i am guessing the may have helping in the skin's durrability as well.

time will tell
Groveler!!!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm going for wound/scar tissue. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Staff turned color at the same time that Linden's heart turned to stone.

I was struck on my most recent re-read by the number of times Stave observes that Linden's will, her purpose, has turned to iron and will not be swayed. I forget the exact wording now. Donaldson also makes several references to how Linden always cried easily, but not any more.

What that means for the Staff -- I dunno. I'm as much in the dark about it as the Forestal. Unless it's an outward manifestation of what's happening to her. Black is usually associated with evil (tho that's not always the case in an SRD universe).

If Vain were emerging from the Staff, I'd expect the bloody thing to grin. :hairs:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

A blackened object usually denotes some ur-Vile presence or purpose, correct? Symbols in the Land have a way of becoming reality, just like they do in dreams.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Return to “Fatal Revenant”