Scariest Part of TCTC?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

babybottomfeeder

Scariest Part of TCTC?

Post by babybottomfeeder »

In style of the "funniest" parts of TC, what do you guys think is the scariest part of TCTC?? Is it even possible for a fantasy to be really frightening? Well I think it’s when Covenant is trying to climb down Kevin’s Watch. I really got vertigo there 8) !

And maybe when Covenant was unconscious during One Tree. I was scared Linden would become the main character!! Laugh Out Loud.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Re: Scariest Part of TCTC?

Post by Fist and Faith »

babybottomfeeder wrote:And maybe when Covenant was unconscious during One Tree. I was scared Linden would become the main character!!
The very notion is preposterous! Ridiculous! Not only would SRD never become so senile as to do such a thing, but his editors would never allow it. You can't have a Tarzan book with Jane as the main character!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Scariest Part of TCTC?

Post by SleeplessOne »

the whole mission to Seareach read like a horror story to me ...

Hoerkin, the Lurker, the stalking skest, and the gradual realisation that the Giants were eradicated was all very eerie ...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Fist and Faith wrote:
babybottomfeeder wrote:And maybe when Covenant was unconscious during One Tree. I was scared Linden would become the main character!!
The very notion is preposterous! Ridiculous! Not only would SRD never become so senile as to do such a thing, but his editors would never allow it. You can't have a Tarzan book with Jane as the main character!!!
Either this is said with heavy irony or you haven't..............
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Scariest moment. Hmmm....... Not really a scary series but Hile Troys blindness in Doriendor Corishev (or in fact the whole forced march episode) or Hergrom going over the wall and waiting to see what was coming to get him in Brathairealm (Nom of course) could be contenders.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Not to be taken as any kind of offense but I think the Cronicles are neither meant to be funny nor scary. For me it's hard to find any scene that would fit into one of those categories. All attempts to do so seem to be forced ...

TCTC one of the greatest fantasy writings ever and it is true literature. But it's not Terry Pratchett and not Clive Barker. We should take it as it is. I already fear to find threads like "Sexiest part", "Best dancing scene" or "Best smelling character". ;)
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

The scene where Triock and the Unfettered One were butchered by the Raver was scary (to me). Also Covenant's mad march through the Land's winter on his broken ankle, it was scary because I felt the pain of every step...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

What about the Grieve? When the Bloodguard )Korik, Tull, Sill) and Lord Hyrim find the giants dead and they are racing from room to room seeing more and more recent death of the giants. Their faces and the top of their heads are gone and the brains consumed. The encounter with turiya Herem also known as Kinslaughterer. Seeing the battle between Sparlimb and his son (taken by a raver)... seeing his head explode.

I can see how that would be scary.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

DEfinitely the realization of the slaughter of the Giants sent chills up my spine.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

babybottomfeeder

Post by babybottomfeeder »

Vader wrote:Not to be taken as any kind of offense but I think the Cronicles are neither meant to be funny nor scary. For me it's hard to find any scene that would fit into one of those categories. All attempts to do so seem to be forced ...

TCTC one of the greatest fantasy writings ever and it is true literature. But it's not Terry Pratchett and not Clive Barker. We should take it as it is. I already fear to find threads like "Sexiest part", "Best dancing scene" or "Best smelling character". ;)
I believe the reader takes what they want from these books, regardless of SRD's intent. This is proven by the responses already provided. 8)
littledaniele
Stonedownor

Post by littledaniele »

[quote="amanibhavam"]The scene where Triock and the Unfettered One were butchered by the Raver was scary (to me).

I have to agree with this, but it wasn't "scary", I think it was just a very creepy scenerio. I am also pretty sure it was the first time SRD had a Raver posess a "good" character, which made it all the more evil!

:D
-darkness withers the heart!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Vader wrote:Not to be taken as any kind of offense but I think the Cronicles are neither meant to be funny nor scary. For me it's hard to find any scene that would fit into one of those categories. All attempts to do so seem to be forced ...

"Top 10 Giants" :lol: :lol: I could just hear a radio DJ going "Top-top-top teeeeen Covenantttt!"
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Within the confines of the first two chrons, there were definately a few scenes that were pretty unnerving..

In fact there's quite a few good ones in the 2nd Chrons alone.. Such as when Starfare's Gem was overrun by electric eels I think it was, intent on seeking out the Ur-Lord.. When the characters were chained up in the dungeons underneath the Sandhold, and TC summons the Sandgorgon.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

peter wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:
A little explanation is required. This is SRD's Q&A with us in Albuquerque in June, 2004:
stephenrdonaldson.com/fromtheauthor/page.php?Page=4
Of course, check out the whole thing. But the part I'm quoting starts at 3:37. It is truly a classic moment!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

The Kevin question is there too. :)
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I dont really remember being scared during these books, I think for me it might have been when Hile Troy lost his eyesight and the Cavewights were taunting him but even still.

Overall i would have to say when Elena drank Earthblood and sent Kevin to do battle with foul and Kevins departing FOOOL!!!! made me know something bad was going to happen. and when Satansfist was pulling up outside Revelstone and it mentioned the giant feasting on the captured inhabitants of the land that night. and when the dead rose from the ground.. I had zombies in mind though they were more like Fossilized dead rather than traditional zombies. the votex of trepidation too. no so much as the others i mentioned though. jeeez.. i completely forgot about the sarangrave.. Yep.. i think the Sarangrave and the lurker for the quest to seareach was the topper, when Hoerkin started howling in the lurkers voice and they pushed/or he fell into the water and sank like a stone, thats when it started getting hairball.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Haven't read the First and Second Chronicles in over 10 years, and I'm listening to the Lord Foul's Bane Audiobook now. I have bad vertigo (I even have to close the window panel whenever I fly in a plane and have difficulty looking out a window that's more than 15 stories off the ground) and Covenant's climb down from Kevin's Watch is harrowing to me, I had forgotten just how ancious it makes me, so, that scene is actually pretty scary for me.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Fist and Faith wrote:
peter wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:The very notion is preposterous! Ridiculous! Not only would SRD never become so senile as to do such a thing, but his editors would never allow it. You can't have a Tarzan book with Jane as the main character!!!
A little explanation is required. This is SRD's Q&A with us in Albuquerque in June, 2004:
stephenrdonaldson.com/fromtheauthor/page.php?Page=4
Of course, check out the whole thing. But the part I'm quoting starts at 3:37. It is truly a classic moment!
Oops. Duh. :oops: Sorry. It's the "Which character are you most proud of?" I was talking about. He goes through a few characters, then starts talking about Linden at 3:37.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”