Favourite cover art

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Favourite cover art

Post by Barnetto »

Looking at the variety of the cover art for the First and Second Chronicles on Kevinswatch, I can't help thinking that the original UK versions by Fontana (?) (the ones with the picture in a circle) are by far and away the best.

Is this my blind preference based on nostalgia and the fact they were the ones I bought and read 20 years ago or is there a general consensus?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

That's your bias showing. I recognize it so readily because I'm biased to Darrell Sweet's covers in the US. ;)
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

dlbpharmd wrote:That's your bias showing. I recognize it so readily because I'm biased to Darrell Sweet's covers in the US. ;)
me too..even though Sweet is contemptuous of Scifi/Fantasy. It must be a thorn in his side for him to be so good at something he doesnt like, thats always baffled me. but yes.. out of all the covers none of them have inspired or drawn me as much as Sweets Covers.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Sweet's covers are my favorites, but I certainly like the ones Barnetto describes.

Nostalgia plays a big factor in my preferences. I find some of the covers for the foreign language editions quite arresting, but I don't have the same emotional attachment to them.

A shame about Sweet's attitude, though.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

dlbpharmd wrote:That's your bias showing. I recognize it so readily because I'm biased to Darrell Sweet's covers in the US. ;)
I sort of suspected that would be the case. Impossible to be objective about these books now on any level!
Belkode
Servant of the Land

Post by Belkode »

Barnetto wrote:
I sort of suspected that would be the case. Impossible to be objective about these books now on any level!
Joining the discussion, here, with a request. Does anyone know where I can get the images to the covers of the Fontana UK version? Thing is, if you put the back covers of the first three bokks side by side, you get a panoramic view of The Land as seen from kevin's watch. Brilliant if you ask me. Anyone know the artist and if these are available?

Belkode
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

This site has various covers, including the ones I think you're talking about.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

The ones which feature the circle on all the covers (not sure if that is the US or UK edition) is my favourite, and by a fair margin!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Belkode wrote:
Barnetto wrote:
Joining the discussion, here, with a request. Does anyone know where I can get the images to the covers of the Fontana UK version? Thing is, if you put the back covers of the first three bokks side by side, you get a panoramic view of The Land as seen from kevin's watch. Brilliant if you ask me. Anyone know the artist and if these are available?

Belkode
Just wondering if you found a way to make the montage work?
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Barnetto wrote:
Belkode wrote:
Barnetto wrote: I sort of suspected that would be the case. Impossible to be objective about these books now on any level!

Belkode
Just wondering if you found a way to make the montage work?
If someone posts all three I can merge them.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
jonnyredleader
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jonnyredleader »

Yeah the panoramic ones from uk Fontana for me, they are so good. When Srd signed my dog eared illearth war he commented on how much he liked those covers too, he thought they were like a dreamscape.
ajsimmo
Servant of the Land

UK Covers

Post by ajsimmo »

I've just uploaded all six UK covers to the gallery kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=18

I've also uploaded 3 new covers for the last chronicles.

I did the last one, but I don't know who did books 1 & 2. However, I still think they're the best style.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, ajsimmo.
Be Well Come and True.
An excellent first post, thank you.

Please come introduce yourself in the Say Hello in Here thread over in The Summonsing. Someone who takes the time to scan and upload cover art for their first post needs to become known.
ajsimmo
Servant of the Land

Post by ajsimmo »

Cheers Menolly

I've introduced myself properly now on the welcome page.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”