I'm pretty new around here...

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Dorian wrote:Im still standing behind the Runequest system. Which is very similar to the call of cthulhu system
Hmmm...do tell...I haven't done a lot of games, the only Cthulu [sp?] one I ever did was d20 based [I'm not even sure it was a published game, the only source I saw was a cd the gm burned and gave me]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Just for cool storyline, and interesting skill names, I gotta go with Human Occupied Landfill. The game mechanics are pretty light, but they meant it to be kind of silly, so it didn't get that deep.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Last edited by Stone Magnet on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Vraith wrote:
Dorian wrote:Im still standing behind the Runequest system. Which is very similar to the call of cthulhu system
Hmmm...do tell...I haven't done a lot of games, the only Cthulu [sp?] one I ever did was d20 based [I'm not even sure it was a published game, the only source I saw was a cd the gm burned and gave me]
There is a d20 CoC system, with several specific books published, developed to tap into the D&D market. I don't think it was very popular or well done though. And why bother. CoC is a good system as is.
Last edited by Stone Magnet on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Drokken
Servant of the Land

Post by Drokken »

Personally I always prefer to stick to the Storytelling System (WoD).

It's a simple game mechanics that doesn't deduct from the actual Role-playing of the game. For me it allows my players to concentrate on story arc, emotions and making the game as realistic as possible.

I don’t like games that concentrate too much on working out stats and deducting this from that and beating that.

But that’s just me personally. I know a lot of people look at Role-play purely as a game in which you have to try to “Win”. I don’t play to win; I play to play.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

When you win, you have to stop the game, and make up all new characters in another game.

Though... I guess the ones who try really hard to win are also the ones who really really really get off on making new characters, too.

So... you know... at least there's internal consistency there.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Goatkiller666 wrote:When you win, you have to stop the game, and make up all new characters in another game.

Though... I guess the ones who try really hard to win are also the ones who really really really get off on making new characters, too.

So... you know... at least there's internal consistency there.
Heh...some game, it might have been "BattleLords" had a section of satirical classes, fully developed. Special abilities, gear, Archetype quotes like:
"The Rules Lawyer"
[GM] Your shot missed.
[Rules Lawyer] I CANT MISS! It clearly says on pg 311 of the superdork supplement that my...blah blah blah.
Pretty funny stuff.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

In the HOL combat section, once they've explained the rules, they give an example. It starts out with two players, their characters, and the GM. There's some amount of "the character makes this attack, so the player takes this stat and rolls that die." But then one of the players disagrees with the GM, so we get into which stat the GM uses when he grabs a chair to hit the player, etc. Eventually the GM's mom comes in and breaks up the fight.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”