The Wounded Land, Chapter 5 Thunder and Lightning

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

kastenessen
Giantfriend

The Wounded Land, Chapter 5 Thunder and Lightning

Post by kastenessen »

During their descent from Kevins Watch Thomas Covenant is burdened by questions-he ponders why Linden Avery was chosen by the creator and not him and at the same time fights with his vertigo. The blue-tinged sun dissapears and is immediately followed by a savage rain-storm in which they slowly struggle downwards. It becomes very dangerous and they decide to seek shelter. To LA the storm doesn't feel right.
Doesn't feel-? He blinked at her. For a moment, he did not understand. To him, it was just a storm, natural violence like any other. But then he caught her meaning. To her, the storm felt unnatural. It offended some instinctive sensitivity in her.
Already she was ahead of him; her senses were growing attuned to the Land, while his remained flat and dull, blind to the spirit of what he percieved. Ten years ago he had been able to do what she had done: identify the rightness and wrongness, the health or corruption, of physical things and processes, of wind, rain, stone, wood, flesh. But now he could feel nothing but the storm's vehemence, as if such force had no meaning, no implication. No soul.
TC is hurt and grieves this loss. Self-doubt and questions assails him...and LA is staring ahead, a flicker of light and someone approaches. It's an old stooped man. Here's the books second heart-wrenching moment, the first being LA's encounter with the creator...goes like this...
Suddenly the old man jerked up his right hand, raised it with the palm forward, and spread his fingers. Covenant copied the gesture. He did not know whether or not Lord Foul had prepared this encounter for him. But he needed shelter, food, information. And he was prepared to acknowledge anyone who could keep a brand alight in this rain. As he lifted his half-hand into the light, his ring gleamed dully on the second finger.
The sight shocked the old man. He winced, mumbled to himself, retreated a step as in fear. Then he pointed tremolously at Covenant's ring. "White gold?" he cried. His voice shook.
"Yes!"Covenant replied.
"Halfhand?"
"Yes!"
"How are you named?" the man quavered.
Covenant struggled to drive each word through the storm. "Ur-Lord Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever and white gold wielder!"
"Illender?" gasped the man as if the rain were suffocating him. "Prover of Life?"
"Yes!"
The old man retreated another step. The torchlight gave his visage a dismayed look. Abruptly he turned, started scrambling frailly upwards through water and muck.
That TC is remembered and spoken of...it was a great feeling reading it. All this strain and duress and suddenly this soaring moment. I just love the word "Illender". Never read it anywhere but the chrons...

We learn that the mans name is Nassic...

The man helps them out of the ravine, down from the mountain and, finally, to his house. They step inside...and nothing is as TC expects it to be. Wood and stone everywhere, even iron! And suddenly TC smells smoke. They burn wood!
The people he had known here would never have voluntarily consumed wood for any purpose. They had always striven to use the life of wood, the Earthpower in it, without destroying the thing they used. Wood, soil, stone water- the people of the Land had cherished every manifestation of life.
So beautifully stated...but more shocks are in wait for TC. One is that the torch is kept burning by the mans blood, he realises more and more that he really has lost his "land-sense", LA has it. He learns about the sunbane -something awful, and that the man has never heard of hurtloam and Earthpower. So much is wrong and LA doesn't understand TC's distress...And more strange stuff, The Clave, Mithil Stonedown full of evil worshippers.
"...They are wicked! They harken to the words of the Clave-words of abomination. They mock the old promises, saying that the Unbeliever is a madness in the minds of the Unfettered. You must not go there."
That even the memory of the Unbeliever is somehow distorted! You get the feeling here that this is something totally different from the first chrons, that something truly awful has happened.

Nassic leaves for his son Sunder to help them through the village and leaves them in the night pondering. To LA TC speaks of the time-difference, that maybe four thousand years has passed while only ten in the real world...And he speaks of his love for the Land, about hurtloam, Earthpower...
"...The people I knew never built fires that destroyed wood. They didn't have to. For them, everything around them-wood, water, stone , flesh-every part of the physical world- was full of what they called Earthpower . The power of life..."

"...The Earthpower was the essence of the Land." Memories thronged in him, visions of the Lords, of the masters of stone- and wood-lore. "It was vital to them, so sustaining, that they gave their lives to it. Did everything they could to serve it, rather than exploit it. It was strength, sentience, passion. Life. A fire like this would have horrified them." But word were inadequate. He could not convey his longing for a world were aspen and granite, water and soil, nature itself, were understood, revered for their potency and loveliness. A world with a soul, deserving to be treasured...
What words! Almost makes me cry! What a celebration! ...TC's words are so strong and beautiful and passionate and we all remember the Land from the first chrons and here we understand how much TC has come to love the Land and it's people and the longing for the way it was. "To hurt a man who has lost everything. Give him back something broken."

This way LA recieves information about the Land and it's people and about TC's previous visits to the Land. And about what drove him and changed him and finally he ends up with...
"...The Land was incredibly beautiful. And the way people loved it, served it, that was beautiful too. Lepers," he concluded mordantly, "are susceptible to beauty." In her own way Linden seemed beautiful to him.
Yes definitely some sort of attraction here...TC falls asleep, wakes up later, the rain has stopped and they decide to leave the hut because Nassic hasn't returned. They find him brutally murdered just outside the hut. LA percieves this with her special sense of the Land as being evil. They carry him inside...and depart once more for Mithil Stonedown. On their way, a familiar route to TC, he prepares to say something to LA.
He was hunting for courage to say what had to be said...He glanced at Linden from time to time, wondering where she had learned the toughness, unwisdom or desperation which enabled or drove her to accompany him. He ached for the capacity to descry the truth out of her, determine whether her severity came from conviction or dread.
She did not believe in evil.
He had to tell her.
No, I went, when I read this the first time,. You can tell her but not now, not now...But pure in his heart as he is, he of course tells her, about Lena...

"The first time I was here, I met a girl. Lena. She was just a kid-but she was my friend. She kept me alive on Kevin's Watch, when I was afraid and it could have killed me." His long loneliness cried out against his self-betrayal.
"I raped her."
She stared at him. Her lips formed soundless words. Raped-?
Then they are attacked by a group of people and hit unconscious.

Here ends chapter five... a horrifying and painfully beautiful chapter. The road through darkness and despair continues. So many awesome passages... TC's self-doubt increases and LA not understanding any of her role yet in what is happening. But a lot of information is given to her(and to us readers) about the Land and it's people, the way it was...simply beautiful...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Fabulous job kastenessen! Thank you! :D

kastenessen wrote:The man helps them out of the ravine and down from the mountain and takes them to his house and steps inside...and nothing is as TC expects it to be. Wood and stone everywhere, even iron! And suddenly TC smells smoke. They burn wood!
This is exactly where the book began to make me ill, morose and feeling twisted...iron! Burning wood--damm something is REALLY wrong here-yuk.

Before all that I am always fascinated about Nassic's lineage. Unfettered! From which unfettered and when did they start having children? What happened, beside the Sunbane, to warp them? How did they survive sooo long?
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good job - I agree, this is a great chapter.
"How are you named?" the man quavered.
Covenant struggled to drive each word through the storm. "Ur-Lord Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever and white gold wielder!"
"Illender?" gasped the man as if the rain were suffocating him. "Prover of Life?"
"Yes!"
TC must've remember the titles Illender and Prover of Life from the celebration song Mhoram sang at Glimmermere, at the end of TPTP. I have found these titles nowhere else.
No, I went, when I read this the first time,. You can tell her but not now, not now...But pure in his heart as he is, he of course tells her, about Lena...

Quote:
"The first time I was here, I met a girl. Lena. She was just a kid-but she was my friend. She kept me alive on Kevin's Watch, when I was afraid and it could have killed me." His long loneliness cried out against his self-betrayal.
"I raped her."
She stared at him. Her lips formed soundless words. Raped-?
I've always wondered why TC felt it necessary to tell LA about Lena at all - I suppose it was because the rape of Lena, and the consequences from that act, followed him throughout his previous visits to the Land, and he believed it would come up again. I'm not sure that it did.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

dlbpharmd wrote
I've always wondered why TC felt it necessary to tell LA about Lena at all - I suppose it was because the rape of Lena, and the consequences from that act, followed him throughout his previous visits to the Land, and he believed it would come up again. I'm not sure that it did.
Well think about it... in each of the first three chrons the rape does come up each time the man visits the Land (and stays...not counting his rejection of Mhorham's summons in TPTP). Why would he think that it's any different even after 4K years later. It's still obvious that he's still heavily burdened by the guilt of his act...and that the girl he raped died defending him as well as her mother (summoning him) and everyone else associated with her (except for Trell).

The fact that Covenant is able to accept responsibility after all this time does bespeak of his character's growth. It would've been better that he didn't keep THIS secret from Linden at the risk that someone else (a Raver most likely) would've told her about it. Question to the ladies here wouldn't have been better to hear this crime be confessed by the man himself or to hear it from someone else?

You would think that the altered/wounded Land is easier for Linden to accept AS IS than Covenant who sees how horrible Foul's despite has ravaged the beauty that is once there. Yes Linden is horrified throughout til they reach
Spoiler
the grieve/Coeceri
but at least she doesn't have to suffer the pain of knowing what once was. You can feel for TC heavily in the first few chapters of this wonderful volume.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Seafoam Understone wrote:Question to the ladies here wouldn't have been better to hear this crime be confessed by the man himself or to hear it from someone else?
Definitely better to hear it from the man himself. The way he tells it will make it clear whether he regretted and changed. Also, what else is going on? Not likely anyone else is going to understand that.

Thank you so much, Kasten. I was anxious to see what feelings you would focus on this time. All those different kinds of loss, loss, and loss again. All the ways SRD uses to show how wrenching the changes in the Land are going to be.

Kasten wrote:
...We all remember the Land from the first chrons and here we understand how much TC has come to love the Land and it's people and the longing for the way it was.
The first thing I had to do, when I read your Chapter 5, was go back and work on my Chapters 6&7, so my puzzle piece is a better fit next to yours. Later I will thank you for not mentioning one particular thing. I wanted to be the one to explain it... :)

We're having rain and wind here right now, but this chapter makes it look like a spring day.
The wind became a constricted yowl...

...A long blast of lightning revealed that it was a torch in the hand of a man. Then blackness and thunder crashed over them, and Covenant could see nothing but the strange flame. It burned bravely, impossibly, in spite of the deluge and battery of the storm.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

sigh :( Here is where we first see the corruption, the losses. My thoughts were, "Oh no, what has he done to it? Where is this all going?" I wanted to read more, but I didn't.
The Earthpower was the essence of the Land." Memories thronged in him, visions of the Lords, of the masters of stone- and wood-lore. "It was vital to them, so sustaining, that they gave their lives to it. Did everything they could to serve it, rather than exploit it. It was strength, sentience, passion. Life. A fire like this would have horrified them." But words were inadequate. He could not convey his longing for a world were aspen and granite, water and soil, nature itself, were understood, revered for their potency and loveliness. A world with a soul, deserving to be treasured.
All gone, all corrupted...What has become of the Land? :( :(
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Spoiler
Linden did actually see what happened to Lena. When did possess' him (while he's had a vemon bite), she see it. So she would have found out, and would have been a lot more horrifed by it.
(...sorry DR in "dissecting" we have to assume that people are reading along, possibly, for the fist time and have to be careful with spoilers...danlo 8) , very good point tho...)
moleary
Servant of the Land

Post by moleary »

I agree with Joy - I think it's much better to have TC come clean right away about what he'd done than for Linden to hear it later from someone who might give a distorted version. I also think this shows how much TC has grown and changed from the first Chronicles, when he ran from the responsibility of his crime. Plus, it's logical for TC to assume at this point that his past experiences in the Land will be brought to light and Linden may find out anyway - he doesn't yet know how drastically the Land and its people have changed.

Well dissected, Kasten!
:D
Michelle
Cloudberry
Ramen

Re: The Wounded Land, Chapter 5 Thunder and Lightning

Post by Cloudberry »

kastenessen wrote:That even the memory of the Unbeliever is somehow distorted! You get the feeling here that this is something totally different from the first chrons, that something truly awful has happened.
Exactly. And only Linden can feel that something is wrong with the weather. The Land is not what it used to be, but how much has changed?

Also I agree that it is much better that Covenant tells Linden about the rape in a early stage. If he didn't tell it himself, I have no doubt that Foul would use it against him somehow.
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Sometimes SRD is overdoing it a bit or?...
Covenant jerked his gaze like a whip to her face.
p 77

It's like a comicbook movement with a soundeffect. I love it though...
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:Sometimes SRD is overdoing it a bit or?...
p 77
I think it would work excellently for a time when he's ready to be severe about something.

Artistically :)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

The world is not what it was.

A raw sickness twisted his heart. Without warning, he became conscious of smoke in the room.

Smoke!

He thrust past the old man, hastened to the hearth.

The wood lay on a pile of ash, burning warmly. Coals cracked and fell off the logs, red worms gnawing the flesh of trees. At intervals, wisps of smoke curled up into the room. The rain in the chimney made a low hissing noise.

Hellfire!

The people he had known here would never have voluntarily consumed wood for any purpose. They had always striven to use the life of the wood, the Earthpower in it, without destroying the thing they used. Wood, soil, stone, water - the people of the Land had cherished every manifestation of life.
You will not fail - Covenant felt that he had already been given up for lost. The thought was salt to his sore heart.

Smoke? Blood? There's only one way to hurt a man. Give him back something broken. Damnation.
"I've been away for a long time. Do you have any hurtloam?"

Hurtloam? Linden's expression asked.

"Hurtloam?" queried Nassic. "What is hurtloam?"

What is - ? Distress lurched across Covenant's features. What - ? Shouts flared in him like screams. Hurtloam! Earthpower! Life! "Hurtloam," he rasped savagely. "The mud that heals." His grasp shook Nassic's frail bones.

"Forgive me, Ur-Lord. Be not angry. I - "

"It was here! In this valley!" Lena had healed him with it.

Nassic found a moment of dignity. "I know nothing of hurtloam. I am an old man, and have never heard the name spoken."

"Damnation!" Covenant spat. "Next you're going to tell me you've never heard of Earthpower!"

The old man sagged. "Earthpower?" he breathed. "Earthpower?"

Covenant's hands ground his giddy dismay into Nassic's thin arms. But Linden was at his side, trying to loosen his grip. "Covenant! He's telling the truth!"

Her lips were tight with strain, but she did not let herself flinch. "He doesn't know what you're talking about."

She silenced him. He believed her; she could hear the truth in Nassic's voice, just as she could see the lack of infection in his cuts. No hurtloam? He bled inwardly. Forgotten? Lost? Images of desecration poured through him. Have mercy. The Land without hurtloam. Without Earthpower? The weight of Nassic's revelation was too much for him. He sank to the floor like an invalid.
"That was what made them who they were. The Earthpower was the essence of the Land." Memories thronged in him, visions of the Lords, of the masters of stone- and wood-lore. "It was so vital to them, so sustaining, that they gave their lives to it. Did everything they could to serve it, rather than exploit it. It was strength, sentience, passion. Life. A fire like this would have horrified them."

But words were inadequate. He could not convey his longing for a world where aspen and granite, water and soil, nature itself, were understood, revered for their potency and loveliness. A world with a soul, deserving to be treasured.
--------------------

There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken.

:(

~Foamy~

Post by Guest »

No, SRD isn't overdoing it. Unless we want writing of the uninspiring, pedestrian kind. Wait a minute...I can do that! (Scribbles away.)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

"Covenant?" concern sharpened Linden's voice. "Are you all right?"

He could not reply. The simple fact that she was worried about him, was capable of worrying about him when she was under so much stress, multiplied the dismay in his bones. His eyes clung to the stone, searching for strength.
"Covenant!" her demand was like a slap in the face. "I don't know how to help you. Tell me what to do."
What to do. None of this was her fault. She deserved an answer. He pulled himself down into the center of his fatigue and dizziness. Had he really doomed himself by taking Joan's place? Surely he did not have to fail? Surely the power for which he had paid so great a price was not so easily discounted? Without raising his head, he gritted, "At the bottom of the stairs, to my left there's a ledge in the cliff. Be careful."
Coercing himself into motion, he backed through the gap.
As his head passed below the level of the Watch he heard her fiercely whisper, "Damn you, why do you have to act so impervious? All I want to do is help." She sounded as if her sanity depended on her ability to be of help.
Freed of the torrents, Covenant found the strength to ask himself, Do you trust him? But the torch reassured him. He knew of nobody who could keep a brand burning in rain except the masters of wood-lore. Or the Lords. He was ready to trust anybody who served wood or stone with such potent diligence.
...this makes me even sadder about what he and Linden will find in the hovel...
The world is not what it was.
Nothing was left of the torch except ash. It had been held together, kept whole and burning, only by the power the old man had put into it. The power of his blood?
Covenant's brain reeled. A sudden memory of Joan stung him - Joan clawing the back of his hand, licking his fingers. Vertigo reft him of balance. He sat down heavily, slumped against the nearest wall. The rain echoed in his ears. Blood? Blood?
"Ur-Lord, what is it not? It is sun and rain and blood and desert and fear and the screaming of trees." he squirmed with renewed abasement. "It was - it was the fire of my torch..."
Linden came to Covenant, knelt in front of him. "What is it?' she asked tightly. He could not keep the despair out of his face. "What's wrong?"
He did not want to answer. He had spent too many years in the isolation of his leprosy; her desire to understand him only aggravated his pain. He could not bear to be so exposed. Yet he could not refuse the demand of her hard mouth, her soft eyes...
A new surge of futility beat at him. How could he possibly fight Lord Foul if there were no Earthpower? No, worse - if there were no Earthpower, what was left to fight for?
In the glare, they saw Nassic stumbling frenetically toward the end of the dell. Then thunder and blackness hit, and he disappeared as if he had been snuffed out.
"But I was wrong. As long as you have some idea of what's happening to you, "real" or "unreal" doesn't matter. You have to stand up for what you care about; if you don't, you lose control of who you are."
In her own way, Linden seemed beautiful to him.
This becomes more and more obvious, does it not? And she is described by her mouth and her eyes...but unlike the other character who is so often descibed by those two features, Linden's mouth is hard and eyes are soft, while Mhoram's eyes are mysterious and his mouth and smile so humane...
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “2nd Chronicles”