Rogue Trader - Footfall

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Lady Kahrmyna wags her finger very slightly from side to side. Garrius notes she has yet to eat anything.

'No. You cannot pretend that the blame is equally upon us for this Psyker's presence. Your recklessness engaging this Warp Storm exacerbated this rogue's powers and caused their detection. And what have you done since the battle to ensure that there are no more members of this cult?

'I am not interested in your honour calls, Amphael. You will have to do better than that. We know that we serve this ship, as we have since the days of its inception. And you? What have you done to serve it . . . other than making it serve your ambitions?'

All eyes are turning to Lady Kayrmyna, but there is little sense of disparagement or embarrassment. The situation with morale is evidently far more serious than believed.

The Lady continues, fearlessly. 'Did you know the most popular theory going about amongst the ratings? They say that you had Laurent murdered to fulfil your ambitions to take the Sacred Warrant. I do not say that I believe it, but I can see ample reasons why some may have started to think the worst of you. They are saying - "none of this would have happened with the Rogue Trader" . . . they mean Laurent. Do you understand what they mean by this?'
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Montresor wrote:'A pleasure marm. Does me a good turn to be talkin' t' the 'ighest and mightiest. What's yer needs?'
Andrea smiles brightly, if a bit forcedly, at the vigorous jiggling her arm goes through. She suppresses the urge to grab her handkerchief and wipe the man's phlegm from her hand. She thinks to herself "I'm sure he does that on purpose, to make the 'highest and mightiest' squirm. Don't fall for it."

"Morduchai, I was hoping to get the help of your family in a matter that may very well benefit the whole ship. As you know, the ship lost several ratings during the storm, and we'll need to replenish them here in Footfall. There is an asteroid out there, filled with people. Rumor has it that another Rogue Trader in port has purchased up a large part of it, and plans on evicting most of the residents. That seems to me like a perfect opportunity for us to recruit new crew. I fear, however, that we might take on... the wrong sort of person, if you catch my meaning. There are said to be Narco-Tribalists in that area, and I can't imagine that's good for any of us to bring into our ship's family."

Morduchai looked at Andrea as she said all this, face twitching. "'Ere? Was theh a question in theh somwheh?"

"Why, yes. I would like the help of your family in making sure that the new ratings we get on the ship aren't going to be problems later on. Quite honestly, they're not my kind of people, and I wouldn't be able to tell one thing or another about the character of any new body we got. And I assumed that it's in your best interest not to have troublemakers come onto the ship either."

"Oh HO! And why ain't you brung 'is to Lady Kahrmyna?" he asked?

"Oh. To be honest, I didn't want to bother her with it. Do you think I should bring this to her directly? I meant no disrespect."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius could barely contain his sarcasm.

"No you are right. How could I be so blind? I should have turned back with the storm. Run from the first hurdle of our journey, back to Port Wander. There, we could act as a grain vessel, ferrying goods from nearby systems, whilst the fortune of the dynasty drops even lower, so that the ship, and all of you, may be sold to the highest bidder. Some new Rogue Trader lacking a writ worth defending who would push this vessel well out into the frontiers of space, so you may all die heroically. Yes, I see how that makes more sense."

Garrius spitefully pulled off his gloves, placing them on the table whilst shaking his head.

"As for the claims of murdering my uncle, I am shocked. I had no ambition at all in matters of this ship, reasoning that my father would inherit it. I was as shocked as any to find it would be me and not him who was to take command. So finding myself in this position, I plan to make the Dynasty worthy of the writ it possesses. Thus is why I will not shy away from trivial danger, seemingly the only one who understands and respects the capabilities of this warship. However, we diverge, you are yet to tell me what you believe I should do to improve moral. I would most happily wish to hear your suggestions."

Garrius was growing tired of this meeting. He now could not help but wish for an Imperial Navy crew again. Instead, he could not help but feel as if he had inherited a over hyped nursing home.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'It's not becoming to act like a child,' Lady Kahrmyna states. A brief silence reigns after she speaks. 'None of us suggested running. My ancestors were on this ship on Outpost Day. The Outpost Day. They were there again when the Invictus was almost destroyed saving the Adulation. This ship, and the souls who have perished on it have faced more trying circumstances than the Storm you put us through'.

There are general murmurs of stern assent around the table. Only Enginseer Adjent remains silent.

Lady Kahrmyna continues. 'But what do you think it has done to the crew to have the new Lord-Captain take such a risk with the ship so early on. Not a risk taken in glorious battle, but one merely ferrying his new goods from port to port. You called us here to discuss morale problems, not to act like a boy who has had his pride injured. I'm not interested in your sarcasm and attempts at wit.

'As for solutions - extended shore leave, investigation into the cult of this rogue psyker, efforts made to find those missing . . . but more importantly, some action to prove your worth to the crew. I'm old now, and I don't care if you think me impertinent, but to the Eternals, the ship has always come before the Dynasty. The ship endures in glory. Keep it that way'.
Last edited by Montresor on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: "Oh. To be honest, I didn't want to bother her with it. Do you think I should bring this to her directly? I meant no disrespect."

'No, no. This is the thing . . . recquisitions an' all is more the provence, ahh, business of err, you. But,' his eyes seem to light with keenness, 'it might be a good idea to take this to the heads o' the clan -'

'Clan this, clan that,' one of the men around the crate moans.

'Give it over, Ferin. Anyway . . . I can ask those that be in the position of authority an' see what they think. Sound decent?'

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

"That sounds excellent, Morduchai. And I agree, this is my area or responsability. I was asking more as a favor, and to show my respect for your family."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'Well,' Morduchai smiles, taking a seat back down at the crate, 'I'll get right on it'.

Murmurings, partly in good humour, go around the game from non-Eternals that favouritism is being displayed.

[The upshot of this is, the day of the Ball, Andrea will still not have heard anything back about the desired crew that the Eternals want. If she enquires as to the delays, she'll only be told that the heads of the Clan are discussing the issue.]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Via Messenger, I learned that a very few people are showing up at the gates and volunteering to join. Please accept them all.

For the period before the ball, Andrea will focus on acquiring supplies other than additional crew. I'm assuming she can more or less take care of all the supplies in that time.

Andrea will visit the Eternals on the second day (24hrs before the ball) and suggest that she will be forced to go out on her own to recruit if they choose not to assist her. She plans this for the morning after the ball.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius really wanted to strangle this woman. To suggest that he had to prove himself to her was ludicrous. However he recognized the need to keep the crew happy. Once the crew was sorted, this woman would pay for not knowing her place.

"An investigation is in the works. For obvious reasons I have kept the details secret. Just know that it is being taken care of. And now that I know of these missing children, I will see to it that they are found with utmost urgency."

Garrius took another drink from his glass.

"We will be here for a week, possibly two. In that time all ratings should please indulge in the wonders footfall has to offer. As for my worth, I am sure that will come to light as we all become more... acquainted."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The lunch concluded, the Clan leaders depart. Garrius overhears them chatting amongst themselves and, although he does not catch much of what is said, he does not note any sense of debate or hostility amongst them.

Enginseer Adjent remains briefly. His eyes, still human, peer over a network of pipes and cords. 'Rogue Trader,' he addresses Garrius in a booming metal voice, 'I detect no change in the morale of the Lowers. But these ratings have been taxed by the Storm, more psychically than physically. The psychic latency of humanity is its greatest curse. The best way to evolve is to progress to the machine. These are the dictates of the Mechanicus. Praise to the Omnissiah'.

With that, Enginseer Adjent departs, his bulky frame hulking away mechanically.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Montresor wrote: Lieutenant Commander Zarkov's quarters are dimly lit and quiet. Only the sound of glasses clinking as Zarkov takes them from a cabinet to where he and the Navigator are seated. Captain Trulitch, still attending to matters on the Bridge, is not presently in the quarters.
Zarkov poured some of Fulvium's amasec into two goblets, giving Praetus the lions share of the liquor. He sat down, facing the Navigator.

"A toast to your health, Comrade." Zarkov took a sip from his glass, eyeing Praetus. "I ask you here only for your opinion, Navigator. It goes without saying that anything said here is off the record, so to speak. As you know, I have been thwarted in my attempts to bring an investigation down on the head of Du Preste. The Captain has all but forbidden me from pursuing the matter at all, but I felt compelled to talk with you."

"If I may speak plainly, Praetus. You supported my accusations, and you clearly wish something done about this...man...also. Let me be clear, however; I cannot take any action against him directly."

Zarkov took another sip of the amasec, letting this sink in. His eyes never left the Navigators face.

"More than anyone on this ship, you have been in close contact with Du Preste over the past few weeks." He paused. Familiarity breeds corruption. Zarkov shook the thought from his mind. "I have served with him for many years without suspicion, and now...this. Tell me, did you notice anything suspicious in his manner before the storm?"
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Injerian Praetus took a mouthful of the amasec and slouched back into the chair quietly, allowing the liquor to warm his throat. With the back of a hand he wiped the drops from his lips, and smiled to himself. "I noticed nothing unusual," he said softly, "just having the air of an expert navigator."

Praetus took another mouthful and held the glass up in the air above his eyes, letting the light from a glow globe shimmer through the fluid. He smiled and placed the glass down, almost regretfully. "Du Preste has offended me, more so for breaching protocol than questioning my decisions. Additionally, I foresee further complications. He may attempt to undermine me. So, I would like to see him dealt with . . . 'legally'. I will place him in a position to offend me once more, and I will call for a duel."
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

Injerian Praetus II wrote:"I will place him in a position to offend me once more, and I will call for a duel."
Zarkov's eyebrows raised slightly at the mention of a duel.

"A compelling idea, Comrade. Indeed, I can see you are a man of naval honour. But...Du Preste would never accept such a thing. He knows he would be defeated, and protocol dictates that the challenged has the right to refuse a duel. Were he to refuse, he would have nothing to lose in terms of honour; as his reputation is already in tatters, whereas you would be made to look as I was." Zarkov frowned. "If you wish to follow this course of action I will not interfere, but give thought to how Garrius will see this. He seems to be protecting Du Preste, Emperor knows why."

"There must be a more subtle way of removing him. I am inexperienced with cloak and dagger tactics, but you seem like a man used to dealing with these sort of situations."

Zarkov thought of Malachi waiting at the airlock. He felt a duty he had not felt since his naval days. He would travel to that cursed asteroid, his soul pure in the light of the Machine God. His debt to the Mechanicus would be repaid. The Omnissiah would absolve him. He knew it would be so.

[Zarkov will hear what Praetus has to say, then proceed to Garrius' quarters to ask permission to act as bodyguard for Malachi. Lore can wrap up the conversation in his post if he wishes. Sorry to cut this short but I don't want the rest of the players held up on my account]
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

After speaking with Praetus, Zarkov walked to Garrius' quarters. On the way, he passed Enginseer Adjent in the corridor.

Zarkov nodded to the Mechanicus. "Praise to the Omnissiah, brother."

It was impossible to tell if Adjent was surprised by Zarkov's forward manner. His synthesized voice betrayed no emotion.

"Praise him."

His eyes locked with Zarkov's as they passed.

Zarkov entered Garrius' quarters and stood before the Lord-Captain at attention.

"Sir, I wish to request shore leave. I have been asked by the Explorator to accompany him to Footfall, as a bodyguard and advisor. I feel honour-bound to do so, but I felt I should ask your permission first, Sir."

Suffer not the Alien.
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius looked at Zarkov over the top of a text he was reading, an old journal of Laurent's he had found, sadly predating the period he had wanted to know about.

"Permission granted Zarkov. Be advised though, that I require a senior officer aboard during the ball I shall be attending. I would appreciate it if you took watch during that period. Its about two days away. Other than that you are free to go."

Garrius returned to his reading, before quickly looking up again.

"Oh and one more thing Zarkov. I am aware that you are close to the crew in a way a lot of senior officers are not. Morale is an issue at the moment. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter sometime later this week cycle. Perhaps after the masque. Put some thought into it if you get the moment please. Dismissed."
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

Zarkov was quietly surprised by Garrius' words. "Yes Sir. Thank you, Sir."

Upon leaving the Lord-Captain's quarters Zarkov made his way directly to the armoury. It was his intention to procure anything he might need to defend the Explorator. If what Malachi had told him was true, he would need plenty.

[I'm assuming Zarkov knows how to find the relevant people and gain access to the armoury, being the First Officer. Zarkov will attempt to acquire the following, as long as he expects they will be in the armoury.

1 flash grenade.
1 smoke grenade.
1 gas grenade.
1 Las-carbine.
Extra rounds for bolt pistol.

Failing that he will take whatever he can get his hands on that is portable. I'm guessing an acquisition roll or similar will be needed for each of these items. After the armoury he will head back to his quarters, donning his flak armour and retrieving two naval cloaks, and make for the airlock.]

Suffer not the Alien.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

Zarkov strode down the corridors of the Invictus in full battle armour, receiving strange looks from ratings. His bionic right eye was the only thing that gave away his identity, as his re-breather covered most of his face. He had no intention of inhaling the filth that passed for air on Footfall. Slipping into a dark corner, he unholstered the Las-carbine he had acquired from the armoury.

It was a Locke-pattern, with a simple reticle scope and a folding stock, designed for close quarters work. It had no bayonet, for which Zarkov was glad. Damn things only made them less accurate anyway. He removed the magazine and opened the receiver cover, checking the arcane mechanisms. The charge-modulator appeared unscored and his bionic eye could not detect any imperfections in the lens.

Reciting a crude prayer to the Machine God, he reassembled the weapon and reinserted the magazine. Moving the large lever on the right side of the upper reciever to "Safe", he stood up and re-strapped the las-gun to his back. He was almost at the main access lock.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Zarkov finds that the ship's armoury has only a few grenades to spare from their reserves - most are kept in what are essentially 'emergency' anti-boarding stores. However, Quartermaster Feyr was able to free some for you, giving Zarkov:
- 1 frag grenade.
- 1 smoke grenade.
- 1 Las-carbine, with one clip.
- 2 extra clips for your Boltpistol

He will arrive at the airlock without incident
]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

--at first opportunity (meaning, when the Rogue trader is not busy), approach Garrius--

"Lord Amphael, I am given to understand you will be attending the Ball. Would my presence be desired as your bodyguard? I ask, as the machinations of the nobility, what is proper, and improper, are beyond my knowledge. I would not wish to seem impertinent by simply showing up expecting to go when such in uncouth, nor be seen as remiss in my duties by NOT going when it is in fact expected."
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius, over seeing his outfit being prepared for the Masquerade, looked up at his chief arms officer.

"Mister Kung, the requirement for a personal body guard at this ball shall be minimal. In fact, to bring one will be garish and offensive to the Rogue Trader hosting it. So no I will not be requiring you.

However, I would ask your assistance in something. It appears that some of the messenger children from the storm have vanished. Seeing as a lot of the crew are conducting shore leave, I would recommend that now would be a good time to search for them. I would like you and your staff to locate these children as soon as possible. Dismissed."

With his orders given, Garrius returned to his duties.

Return to “Rogue Trader”