Rogue Trader - Footfall

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius listened intently. When Andrea had finished, he was still guarded, but did not feel so uneasy as he had earlier.

"Very well Andrea. I will continue to keep what I know to myself for the time being, but I must ask that you compile a complete report and run down of the books and charts, including the ones that seem unrelated. Also, your musings on why he would be researching them would be appreciated. basically I want everything you know and have, but I concede that you are probably far better suited to research than myself, although I would like to go over these books myself at some stage. Oh, and whatever you have on why your predecessor was dismissed would be appreciated."

Garrius stood, seemingly dismissing the subject.

"In the meantime however, please see to the tasks I assigned you earlier." Garrius went to leave, but turned, remembering something "Also, you may want to put some thought towards what you will wear to this ball aboard the Maiestas. One such as yourself must always keep up appearances Andrea."
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Andrea perks up, both from the Captain's confidence in her abilities, and then at the idea of going to a ball.

"Of course, Captain. High Society is my other area of strength."

Exit Andrea

Andrea heads back to the Librarium and immediately begins choosing her outfit.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

With the crowd dispersing, Malachi moves to see Metanus.

"Metanus, I'm planning on journeying through Footfall. Do you know where I can find a Mechanicus presence here?"
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: "Metanus, I'm planning on journeying through Footfall. Do you know where I can find a Mechanicus presence here?"
'The Furibundis system holds an outpost of the Machine Cult on a planet close to the star. Here you would find the Altar-Templum-Calixis-Est-17 studying the fury of the sun. Of course, it is unlikely you would find a system ship willing to take you there, let alone one which could do so and come back in time for the Invictus's departure . . .

'But, you want something closer, perhaps? There is a small shrine on this very asteroid, located deep within the centre, where ancient plasma reactors power the majority of the structures. Why do you seek their counsel, brother, and not those of your colleagues closer to you?'
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

"Metanus, no disrespect intended. I'm keen to unlock the secrets of a place like this. I imagine there is great wealth in information and technology to be had here, or at least a wealth of leads showing me the way to them. I want to enrich our librariums, and our vaults with these treasures."

There's a glint in Malachi's eye as he smiles through the word 'treasures'.

"I've requested that some of our fallen crew be added to our number as servitors. While we've made landfall, would you mind seeing to the procurement of any necessary resources required in their completion that aren't available on-board?"
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'You misunderstand, Malachi. I only ask so that I may know your plans. You have heard the news about the conflict which may happen in Delta-X-7?'

Metanus pauses, his metallic voice rasping to a halt. Very quickly, he bleats out a series of binary clicks.

[Refer to your PM]
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Malachi responds in binary clicks of his own.
Ezra
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Navigator Praetus probably had rolled his eyes and smirked at least three times during the Seneschal's speech. He had never heard of 'Cyrus Deltael' and just as much did not care. In all honesty, having a battlecruiser meant nothing to him. So, with sarcasm he gave a small clap at the end of the speech and then turned to Du Preste.

"You," Praetus said with a sneer, "and I need to resolve some things, beginning with your serious breach of Navigator protocol. Rather than indulging the ears that hear, we will discuss our - my - concerns in private. The pit will suffice."

The senior navigator then stepped closer to the man and then leaned his head close enough that only they could hear his whisper, "If something needs to be said, say it to me in person before going over my head, Du Preste. This is no court where nobles gossip and play their games; this is my realm, and things are done differently."
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Montresor wrote: While Garrius returns to his platform and talks under his breath to Du Preste, Peraton strides over to Zarkov. There is not a trace of pretended deference for the Lieutenant Commander's rank. He talks just loud enough for only the two of them to hear: 'You're on tenuous ground here, Zarkov. I'll be watching for the moment you make another mistake and see to it that your career will be in tatters. And that's before I give you what's coming to you. But first thing is first'.

Warrant Officer Sturshyi and Duty Officer Mordia both stand in closer to the conversation, though they are too late to hear anything that was said.
Zarkov once more felt anger flare within him, but it is a subdued, quiet anger. Far too much damage had been done to his reputation already, he thought. He remained at attention and ignored the young noble, a characteristically thin lipped smile on his face.

Seeing the Captain leaving the bridge with Andrea, Zarkov relaxed from attention. He had to speak to Praetus, but looking around he saw that the Senior Navigator was already involved in what looked like a serious conversation with Du Preste. Good, Zarkov thought. Someone to do the interrogating for me. Perhaps more can be gleaned from this than I thought. The Lt. Commander bided his time, making his way to his gunnery station, nodding curtly to Sturshyi and Mordia as he passed them.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Injerian Praetus II wrote:"If something needs to be said, say it to me in person before going over my head, Du Preste. This is no court where nobles gossip and play their games; this is my realm, and things are done differently."
Du Preste pauses to listen briefly, holding his head so that one side is to Praetus. He whispers back, 'I do as the Rogue Trader instructs. I answered his enquiry, Injerian. You do not matter'.

Before departing the Bridge, Du Preste whispers once more to Praetus.

[refer to your PM]

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

[Zarkov will wait until the conversation between Praetus and Du Preste has ended (and Du Preste has left the bridge) before walking up to Praetus. If Praetus continues to the Navigator's Pit, Zarkov will address him on his emergence.]

"Comrade Praetus," Zarkov found himself unconsciously addressing the Navigator in the formal tone usually reserved for ships commisars. "I have not had the opportunity to personally commend you for your heroic actions in the passage." A few of the bridge crew within earshot turn in mild surprise to this. In a slightly lower voice, Zarkov continued. "Were it not for your timely arrival in the Navigator's Pit and your accurate co-ordinates, we would have surely been lost to the warp forever. I would be honoured if you would meet me in my quarters for a toast. I have some '92 vintage left i think, a good year."

[Zarkov will wait for Praetus' reply, and arrange to meet at a pre-assigned time once they have finished their respective duties.]
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius, after finishing with Andrea, made his way back to the bridge. It was with quiet concern that he considered his position. He was sitting upon a political spider web, and anyone could be weak prey or a web smashing monster.

Garrius made his way towards Proctor Menz and his entourage. He bowed slightly, smiling at the merchant, before speaking.

"Menz, I am glad to have a moment to finally speak with you. I have been meaning to get to know my new business partner better of these previous weeks, but have been occupied, for obvious reasons. How is everyone in your camp holding up? Is all to your liking?"

During this small talk, Garrius tried to look as discrete as he could, whilst staring at the back of Zarkovs head whilst he made his way around the bridge.
Last edited by Garrius Amphael on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea is nearly skipping on her way back to the Librarium, when she thinks there's nobody watching. Even her sore ankle is cooperating, still.

She nods to the newly stationed guards at the entrance to the Librarium, and then goes on inside the complex. "Corperal."

Once in her office, she takes down the special suitcase from atop he wardrobe. Her mother had laughed when she'd chosen to bring it.

• "Oh sweetheart, where will you find a masque ball that far from civilization?"

"Mother! We'll still be in the Imperium. There's bound to be high society on other worlds. They can't be ALL feral."
But she'd had a secret. The masque, specially fitted for her own face was the one time people couldn't see her cyber-implants. She looked like any other pretty girl while wearing the mask, instead of some freak with mechanical eyes and ears.

This one night, she would get to be a princess at a ball, where nobody would know her, on the arm of her dashing new Rogue Trader.

She carefully opened the case, and smiled. On top was the mask itself, done in pure white. When her parents had gotten it for her two years ago, they'd spared no expense. The mask itself was of a thin ceramic, and can survive a gunshot without scratching. (The salesman had been quick to point out that it won't protect the wearer from damage, just that the mask itself would survive unharmed.) The matching dress was also pure white. It had been specially treated with a light ionization to repel dirt, not simply resist stains. It was made from the silk of some xenos creature, amazingly light and breezy, hardly wrinkles even after over a year in the suitcase.

Andrea carefully laid out the dress on her bed, then returned to the case for the smaller pieces. Matching stockings and other unmentionables, matching white opera gloves, the white xenos pelt overcloak, and the headdress.

Everything looked in order, so she returned it all just as carefully to its container. Then she lifted the box and carried it back through the Librarium, humming happily to herself as she went. Several of the scribes looked up in surprise when they heard the noise, and simply watched her bounce past before returning to their cataloging duties.

Once again, Andrea found herself by the Lord-Captian's quarters. This time she went around to the service entrance, and spoke to one of the Captain's service staff. "I realize this is an unusual request, but the Lord-Captain has invited me to accompany him to the Masque Ball held by Lord Cyrus Deltael in three days. I would like to request your assistence in preparing for this, so as not to shame our Lord with a poor appearance in high society."
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Garrius Amphael wrote: "Menz, I am glad to have a moment to finally speak with you. I have been meaning to get to know my new business partner better of these previous weeks, but have been occupied, for obvious reasons. How is everyone in your camp holding up? Is all to your liking?"
[edited your post to change Kerr to Menz . . . Kerr is way back in Port Wander. Proctor Menz is the head of the expedition]

The three men from the Alid-Yuril Consortium nod their heads politely to the Rogue Trader. Both Gabriel Kaustis-Yuril III and Captain Gaius Trulitch autmotically take positions just behind Proctor Menz.

'Everything is satisfactory,' Proctor Menz smiles. 'The Consortium is pleased to be doing business with a Dynasty of such an illustrious history, and one marked by the Emperor's favour. On a personal note, I feel I must tell you how impressed I was that you chose to brave the Storm and continue without pause to our destination. It is comforting to know that you are a man of honour - one who puts his word and contract before the lives of his crew.

'I only have a few small matters of business to discuss and then, if I am no longer needed, I will see about my own affairs. First, now is the time you may want to consider seeking other business opportunities which may coincide with the Endeavour. The Consortium only asks that you keep the strictest confidence, and that you do not delay our overal business. Second, I would like to know how long you intend to stay in Footfall? I assume that resupplying and repairs are all we are here for? And, third, I will ask that, just before we depart, you send your chief navigator to me, so that I might divulge the location of our first destination - Prethian'.
Last edited by Montresor on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: "I realize this is an unusual request, but the Lord-Captain has invited me to accompany him to the Masque Ball held by Lord Cyrus Deltael in three days. I would like to request your assistence in preparing for this, so as not to shame our Lord with a poor appearance in high society."
Andrea addresses LeVatch, Garrius's butler. Listening patiently, he follows without pause: 'Of course, madam. As soon as I have attended to the Rogue Trader's wishes'. Automatically, he turns away and continues about his business.

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Metanus and Malachi part ways, with Malachi hurriedly rushing towards Zarkov.

"Zarkov, when you have a moment."
Ezra
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Montresor wrote:'Of course, madam. As soon as I have attended to the Rogue Trader's wishes'. Automatically, he turns away and continues about his business.
[Is this a "wait here a couple minutes" situation, or a "come back later"? Or even a "I'm saying 'of course' but I really mean 'go away'." situation?]

[Call it an etiquette roll, or whatever the applicable stat is.]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: [Is this a "wait here a couple minutes" situation, or a "come back later"? Or even a "I'm saying 'of course' but I really mean 'go away'." situation?]

[Call it an etiquette roll, or whatever the applicable stat is.]
[Success on the test . . . read LeVatch's bio and that should answer your questions. It was a chance to use the catch-phrase]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

As the door to the Captain's office closes, Andrea thinks two things:
  • That's one fewer VIP I'll be taking special requests for, while I'm out shopping for the ship today.

I'll use that money to take myself to a spa!
With that, she seeks out Drak-Kung. Company of the well-armed and military type seemed wise, in their present location.

"Chief, might I trouble you for someone to guard my body for the day? Preferably someone female. And also one who can be discreet." She pauses, and thinks of what she had just said. "Oh, no." she stutters, sudenly embarassed. "I mean, someone who can be trusted to be around elevated folk without embarassing the ship. I'll be travelling around Footfall on ship's duties, and I do not wish to be killed in the process."

Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:"Comrade Praetus," Zarkov found himself unconsciously addressing the Navigator in the formal tone usually reserved for ships commisars. "I have not had the opportunity to personally commend you for your heroic actions in the passage." A few of the bridge crew within earshot turn in mild surprise to this. In a slightly lower voice, Zarkov continued. "Were it not for your timely arrival in the Navigator's Pit and your accurate co-ordinates, we would have surely been lost to the warp forever. I would be honoured if you would meet me in my quarters for a toast. I have some '92 vintage left i think, a good year."
Du Preste walked away from Navigator Praetus, leaving the senior navigator with a tense expression on his face - two of his eyes blazing with barely-subdued fury. Then, as if remembering his station, he adjusted his cap and calmed down, although he kept staring at the other navigator's back as he moved away.

"Yes, Zarkov," Praetus said not looking at the man. "They attribute my navigation skills to the survival of the Invictus Aeterna. I would not like to be so immodest. But neither am I modest enough to refuse your offer. I would be happy to discuss things in depth with you . . . .out of earshot. I have a favour to ask of you."
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.

Return to “Rogue Trader”