Rogue Trader - Footfall

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Pocket all the trinkets, try to conceal myself, reload, have one pistol in each hand.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[The room offers little in terms of perfect hiding places, though the flickering lights mean that eyes unaccustomed to the darkness will find it difficult to perceive everything before them. Drak-Kung did not roll well on a concealment attempt. The best he has managed to do is stick to one corner, partially onscured by collapsed chairs. The Scrutiny test for the Auger-Array was much more successful]

Interference from exposed cabling and leaking chemicals makes the Auger-Array less reliable than it is intended. However, Drak-Kung is able to estimate that as many as a dozen life-forms are rapidly converging on his poistion. Judging by the lack of proper lighting or secure floors in the decks above and below, the Arch-Militant is almost certain that what is heading in his direction cannot be properly human. Unless he acts quickly, Drak-Kung may be surrounded on all sides.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

there are 3 entrances to this room, yes? I will try to construct a barricade at whichever one is most isolated....meant to delay, not truly stop, and use what concealment/cover I found to lay down fire at the the other two.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Let me know if the fact there are four doors changes your mind. Otherwise, I'll assume you barricade the one closest (the one marked Hab-Ward), and position yourself so you can see all of the others. It will not be a challenge to throw some impediments down, but it will take a couple of minutes. By the end of which, Drak-Kung hears the sounds of scurrying in the dark from the furthest door. Running in the decks above can also be heard. There is perhaps still time to run]
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Definitely NOT barricade Hab-Ward. Barricade one, cover other three....from position such that Hab-Ward is closest should I need to cut a path out, that's most likely to get me to safety, don't want to have to go through too many enemies.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[No problem. Assuming the Hab-Ward exit is to your back facing, you barricaded the exit to the left. What comes next involved two rolls, one for Forbidden Lore: The Warp, and the other a Fear test. Keep in mind, for what is to come, if you wish to use your Auger-Array to detect movement, it will count as a Full Action]

Drak-Kung upturns tables and falls back to a corner near the Hab-Ward exit. Almost the instant he is done, a loping shape tears through the furthest exit, and scampers across the table, surging at the Arch-Militant.

The sudden entry freezes Drak-Kung with a twinge of fear. His own dealings with forbidden matters make him realise the nature of the thing he faces. A hideous mutant, a degenerate human who has been corrupted by exposure to toxins, radiation, and the taint of the Warp - a Hullghast dweller in the Black Holds, faces the Arch-Militant. Drak-Kung's knowledge of such creatures is minimal, though he knows enough to realise they are ravenous, violent, and extremely dangerous.

The Hullghast resembles a more devolved version of the mutant he killed a moment before. Its mouth is elongated, and rowed with vicious incisors. Its eyes, having recessed and atrophied, are almost feline. Talons form the end of its hairless, and waxy-grey arms. Only the thinnest scraps of rags hang on to the sinewy form. Drak-Kung sees the large breasts of the monstrosity swing with its movement, and he realises the thing was once a woman.

[Due to the effects of Fear, Drak-Kung can only take a half action on the first round. On the second, the thing will be upon him. If he wins the initiative, he'll just get a shot or two off before the mutant is upon him]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

OOC--if memory serves, a quick shot is a Half-Action (not looking at teh book right now)....

Hurriedly, I snap off a hasty shot at the hideous thing.....after the initial surge of adrenaline, if there is still only the one before me, a careful Aimed Shot at the beastial abomination. If there are multiple hullghasts, a quick shot at each of the closest ones.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:OOC--if memory serves, a quick shot is a Half-Action (not looking at teh book right now)....
[Correct. Unfortunately, you scored 50, and the shot went wide of the mark. You won the Initiative, so were able to take an Aimed Shot, before the thing makes its Brutal Charge (+3 Damage). You hit, and inflict a lot of damage, though do not stop the mutant]

Drak-Kung's bolt-pistol erupts with gunfire. The first shot is wild and crashes harmlessly into a wall while the second, more measured, rakes along the back of the Black Hold monstrosity. The mutant roars in pain but comes crashing on in a furious charge, sweeping one of its vicious talons before it.

The Master-at-Arms feels the mutant's fetid, hot breath through the kinks in armour around his neck, and the talons just scrape the surface of his enforcer carapace. At the last moment, Drak-Kung is able to step to one side and avoid being gutted by the savage creature.

[I assumed that you would use Dodge as a free reaction. It's lucky you have a +20 to tests for that, or you would have taken a rather nasty 7 Wounds! This thing is fast and extremely dangerous. I have paused the combat here to give you the option to change tact. You can fire pistols in close combat, of course, but it's not ideal. Changing to the mono-barong will take a full action]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Thoughts flicker furiously through the Arch-Militant's mind...."My blade might well serve better, but I may not have a chance to pick my pistols back up should there be more...."

OOC--if I'm getting too creative/drawing upon RL experience which the rules don't countenance, I'll edit this next part...

Drawing upon the esoteric techniques learned in his youth/novitiate/imprisonment, Drak-Kung's feet shuffle, slide, and then from a near impossible angle one flashes up in a thundering kick! (using Unarmed Warrior, but only attacking with kicks...if possible, take full action to use a kick to create enough space to resume effective shooting. I'll sacrifice some, even all, of the damage potential of the kick if necessary to knock it back....if no knockback allowed, then two kicks. )
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung kicks at the abdomen of the mutant, seeking to throw it off balance. Yet, the thing is fast and agile and easily evades the Arch-Militant's assault. For half a minute, the two are locked in battle, kicking, slashing, and dodging each other's assualts.

The sounds of other creatures rushing ever closer from the decks above and below are becoming increasingly louder. Finally, Drak-Kung kicks with furious force. The blow would have been savage enough to break the spine of a lesser creature but, instead, the howling mutant is thrown back against the wall. Drak-Kung raises both bolt-pistols and unleashes short bursts of fire into the thing. It's body is torn asunder by two explosive impacts.

[You actually scored a righteous fury with that kick, and rolled two tens for damage in a row. This gave the Hullghast a large penalty for its resistance, and it was thrown back. Of your gunfire, two bolts missed and two hit. One pistol is down to half-ammunition. The mutant is dead, and you can hear the sounds of many more coming. Soon]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Reload pistols..commence withdrawing Hab-Ward....trying to keep the loathsome mutants in pursuit....taking shots of opportunity to keep them baited...half-action shooting, got to keep moving...devote Fall Action to moving if necessary....urgently, but not in a panicky manner, calling on vox-bead..."This is Chief Drak-Kung, am taking the Hab-Ward corridor from within the Mazeworks...need 2 squads with heavy weapons, repeat HEAVY weapons set up in this corridor....Hullghasts, repeat hullghasts are following me, prepare ambush"
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Falling back through the Mazeworks, towards the Hab-Decks, Drak-Kung hears the sounds of crashing metal from above and below him. The Chief imagines loping monstrosities, inhuman mutations, closing in on him from almost all sides. The only direction from which there is no sound of movement is the one in which Drak-Kung travels.

The Master-at-Arm's Vox bead crackles with static, though he perserveres and repeats his message several times. Eventually, Drak-Kung receives an answer. It is Adjent, the enginseer, his mechanical voice accentuated by the tinniness of the vox itself.

###Chief-Kung. This is Adjent. I'm relaying your message to the squads. I can't pinpoint your position. I would advise ascent. Find stairs - a ladder - and head several floors up. Try to find a level painted blue. I will set the rendeveous point there###

Drak-Kung rushes as best he can, but he sees a dark shape a hundred yards or more down the corridor behind him. A ladder well is just glimpsed in the half-darkness, in an old loading bay about thirty yards in the direction Drak-Kung is heading. Scurrying across metal can be heard almost directly above.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

keep running....bolt pistol rounds explode, if memory serves....so....

Heading up will be impossible with a hullghast above...unorthodox measures are required...aiming slightly ahead of the footsteps above, fire several rounds into the grating floor above to create a hole for it to fall THROUGH. *The fall should disorient the thing long enough for me to run past it, before it joins the pursuing pack* I think to myself, mind racing.

/OOC--if this plan is unworkable, let me know,I'll think of something else and edit...
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote: /OOC--if this plan is unworkable, let me know,I'll think of something else and edit...
[OOC - Due to the half-built nature of the Mazeworks, there is some chance that you could blow the ceiling/floor apart. Any other part of the ship and you'd need a lot of explosives, but some of the Mazeworks is just glorified scaffolding. If you can hear it above, you know the floor isn't too thick. You'll need to do a fair bit of damage, which means good rolls or sustained firing. Let me know if you want to go through with the plan. PM or post here is fine]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[I determined that the thinnest part of the floor would still have a high AP value. There was no way it was as thick as bulkhead, but it was also a bit sturdier than your basic cogi-array. So, I valued it as 14AP. You had to penetrate this and inflict enough damage to tear a hole. I also ruled that a successful Per test would reveal a thinner area of ceiling 2 AP less. I used the Fate Point for a reroll on this test, and you succeeded. There was enough time for 3 semi-auto bursts (6 for two guns) before you reached the point and would have to stop. 2 more test after this would mean the thing above would have outpaced your trap. You had about a 50/50 success rate due to the restrictions - running, two-handed, and DK's average BS score]

Charging along the corridor, attempting to outpace the creature above, Drak-Kung opens fire with both boltpistols - short bursts tearing holes in the ceiling and raining metal below. With both guns nearly empty, the Arch-Militant is almost under his target when a taloned leg crashes through the newly made hole in the deck, flailing from side to side, attempting to break free. The leg is waxy-grey, and has a line of weeping sores creeping up to its thigh.

From behind Drak-Kung, the sound of his other pursuer is drawing near. The Chief is almost at the ladder, and will likely make it before another mutant catches him if he does not delay.

[The creature above - probably another Hullghast - appears temporarily trapped. You could easily shoot at its leg, but that would probably involve you running out of ammunition, and wasting further time. You have two bolts left in each pistol]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

climb and run like hell....but keep em behind me.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The Chief runs with all haste and clambers up the ladder. In the darkness behind him, howls of frustration and slavering anticipation mingle.

The ladder extends above and below into pitch darkness. Pockets of light flicker on levels which have some form of rudimentary illumination, and it appears the ladder strectches through dozens of decks.

[I assume that you holster both pistols - holding even one will slow your ascent, but let me know if you wish to do so. Otherwise, I will post again tomorrow night based off the idea that you climb unarmed]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

actually...holster one, vox-bead "I'm not going to be able to talk while climbing" and put the other one in my mouth....teeth on either side of breech assembly...imagine a 1911 Colt...barrel sticks out to left of my mouth, grip is pointing straight forward, teeth on flat "sides".
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

As quickly as he can, Drak-Kung ascends rung after rung. He has no time to use his in-built Auger-Array, instead relying on the sounds of movement from around him. Noise echoes in the well - a wash of scurrying and howling.

[I made an Ag test for DK. Failing would only have mattered if it was catastrophic. You succeeded by multiple steps, so I've decided that you are making excellent time]

Minutes of continuous exertion begin to take their toll. Drak-Kung has climbed more than a score of levels, and has yet to find any which appear to blue. He hears the sound of talons scraping on metal below him, and just sees the silhouette of something clambering up the ladder from below him.

[At his current pace, besides his speed, Drak-Kung will be overtaken by the climber below in about a minute. It looks like the ladder continues for at least another score levels]

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

Continue ascent.....use Unarmed Combat to kick it in the face as needed.

Return to “Rogue Trader”