Rogue Trader - Masquerade

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Garrius Amphael »

Garrius, not noticing Andrea, stares on in quiet anger. Without thinking, he spits onto the carpet somewhere in the darkness. Remembering himself, he turns to Galen.

"Please excuse my rude behavior, but this is simply sickening. Is he always like this?" Despite the actions of all those around him, Garrius wasn't clapping.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Galen whispers to Garrius in the semi-darkness. 'He's gone too far. This kind of . . . of supreme arrogance will not end well. Deltael must know this'.

The applause dies down, as awkwardly and suddenly as it began. Half-light is restored to the Hall, revealing a near petrified crowd with their eyes fixed on either Deltael or Stavram.

Andrea and Gabriel join Garrius. There is no sign of either Julient or Peraton.

'Greetings,' Deltael's voice booms across concealed vox-speakers through the Hall. 'Welcome to my Grand-Ball, to my celebration of Man, and the worship of . . . the God-Emperor!'

[Both Andrea and Garrius had exceptional successes on Perception tests and were able to notice six men black robes - exactly like the figure from the elevator - converging on a balcony to one side. The balcony has a staircase on either flank, leading to the ornate and gold-trimmed landing. A figure stands upon this landing, dressed in the same black robe as the others, though they do not appear as tall]
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius chooses to ignore the two members of his entourage, instead lightly tapping Galen on the shoulder, and pointing up to the balcony.

"It would appear that we may not have to let him know. Look; more of the men in black. One must wonder their purpose."
Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Post by Andrea Chan-Gauthier »

Andrea watches the identical, albeit shorter, men in black converge upon the one she assumes to be their leader. With her enhanced vision, she zooms in on the leader to see if anything in particular stands out.

And to watch what he commands them to do next.
  • I suspect a trap.
    But I'm not military.
    So I'll say nothing.
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Blessed be the Imperium of Man; blessed be the Sacred Writ.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Small point, largely my fault for ambiguous expression - the figure on the balcony is shorter than the others]

The figure on the balcony waits for the six others to assemble at the base of the stairs. Andrea and Garrius watch the man raise his right wrist to his mouth.

The Vox speakers crackle loudly, just as Deltael is about to speak again, and another voice comes over the top. This voice is of a man and has a deep pitch and gravelly tone.

"So glad to have attended, Cyrus, old friend".

Deltael's head jerks in involuntary shock. It is clear he recognises the voice. The revellers, unaware if this interruption is intended cast their eyes about the Hall. Most look to the man on the balcony.

"You forgot to send me an invite, though I see that you have brought my old acolyte, Stavram, to fill my shoes".

Inquisitor Stavram grips his hand to stifle an uncharacteristic twinge of fear from shaking it.

"I waited a long time for this opportunity to repay your kindness, and your service to the Imperium. It gladdens me that both of my old friends are here to say goodbye to. You have also done me the honour of shutting the exits which, you can fathom, I have had sealed. This ball is filled to the brim with the rich and powerful, with people who chant the Emperor's name but do the daemon's dance. And so many Rogue Traders - the best and the worst of Man.

"With such a crowd, and all shut in, you have to be mindful to have the room well ventillated. Fortunately, I have looked into this myself. I found the air you have supplied to be a little wanting, however. So, I have taken the liberty to slowly vent in the far superior gases of Strail VII to compensate. You do remember Strail VII, don't you Cyrus? It was where you left me to rot all those years ago. I was there for twelve years. Now I give you twelve hours".

A wave of shock runs through the revellers, furious exclamations panic the crowd. Some surge to the sealed exits and impotently pound upon the walls; others rush towards Deltael and begin to demand what is going on. The figure on the balcony watches from above, while his sentries stand motionlessly beside the stairs.

Garrius and Andrea become aware that there are no guards to be seen anywhere.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Several thoughts go through Andrea's mind, more or less at once.
  • I wonder if the air filtration unit in my mask would help protect me from this gas?

The man shrouded in black, the one doing all this, is also in the room with us. As are his guards. They must also have air filters.

I'm glad Garrius is here to handle all these military matters. I am sadly unarmed and unarmored.
She turns to her Lord-Captain and whispers, "What shall we do, sir?"
Revere the Emperor; Honour the name of Amphael, holders of the Sacred Warrant of Trade.

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

"We try and remain calm Andrea. Find the others immediately. Have them brought to me at once."

Garrius turned to Galen. "Does any of this make sense to you?" Garrius was mindful of the air around him and tried to conserve what breath he had, keep his breaths slow and calm. Above all else, he was still aware that he was in the company of other Rogue Traders and tried to do his best to hide his fear.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Scores of near frenzied conversations erupt in the Hall, drowning out all other sounds besides the rushing of feet, though a complete panic has yet to set in.

Three men, dressed in matching blue high-collared robes approach the guards at the base of the stairs. When one of their number comes within ten feet of a black-robed sentry, it extends its arm horizontally. A long blade flicks from the elbow down, forming a straight, and very deadly looking short-sword. The men back away in a rush, crashing over two other revellers.

'The rains of Strail VII!' The voice blares across the Vox again, just as the figure lifts its gaze and arms toward the ceiling.

A sudden rush of blue gas emerges from several ventillator units at the height of the vaults. At first thickly cloaking the air, the gas descends like a misty rain. Screams of horror come from dozens of throats. Scores of people rush to hide behind columns, under upturned coaches, or near the sealed exits. The rain dissipates quickly, before it even touches a reveller, though a musty odour now permeates the Hall.
Garrius Amphael wrote: Garrius turned to Galen. "Does any of this make sense to you?"
Galen watches the gas descending with a look of alarm. He quickly removes a long silk handkerchief from a breast pocket and wraps it around his face.

'Strail VII . . . I don't know. Strail? Wait - Strail is where Deltael made his first journey in the Expanse, decades ago. He made a fortune from it. Something to do with a drug. A stimulant? I'm not sure. An aggression drug he sold to the Guard for their penal legions, I think?'

Galen's eyes take on a new look of horror.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Secure in the knowledge that the air filter on her mask will protect her from whatever poisons are now working on the rest of the party, Andrea begins searching for the rest of her group. Gabriel should still be with her, leaving only Peraton and the tactless Navigatrix.

She uses her enhanced vision as best she can to zoom in on faces quickly and scan around the room for the two, starting with where she left Julient.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea searches the crowd almost aimlessly at first, unable to distinguish her companions from the others. She spends several minutes before she sees Navigator Julient, standing nearer to the stage upon which Deltael is enthroned. Julient is watching the gas coalesce and sprinkle from above. Andrea also observes that Deltael hardly seems panicked by the sight.

The crowd's anxiety is steadily rising.

[This was after a few fruitless roles. Peraton has yet to be located]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea turns to Gabriel and asks, "My Lord Gabriel, would you do us the service of collecting the Navigator Julient? She's over near to Lord Deltael." and Andrea points to the navigator's location. "I'll continue searching for Peraton."

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[Andrea's search for Peraton takes another two or three minutes. She eventually finds him with two other men, all three with their masques discarded, and in dress-uniforms. Andrea thinks she recognises the other two men, though she is not sure where from]

Gabriel and Navigator Julient arrive at the coaches bearing Garrius and Galen. Julient nods to both and briefly apologises for not having arrived sooner. As she explains, 'I was observing Deltael. There's something about this, about that Rogue Trader that does not sit right with me'.

Galen asks his retinue to gather closer, and he asks Garrius: 'What is to be done about this? Look at the crowd. They're moments away from doing something rash. I've a mind to assault those sentinels en masse . . . but I suispect we wouldn't survive'.

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea announces, "My Lords, I have found our final person. As this seems to be becoming a military matter, I'll leave you to that discussion while I collect him."

She makes her way through the crowd and approaches Pereton and his two neighbors, cautiously. "Lord Pereton, I'm glad I've found you. The Lord-Captain requests your presence over by the couches there."

[Is there any reason to believe that Andrea knows who Galen is?]

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: [Is there any reason to believe that Andrea knows who Galen is?]
[She doesn't have Common Knowledge: Rogue Traders, though he is famous. She may have heard of him, though she wouldn't recognise him. However, assume Peraton mentions who he is while you all head back to Garrius. The other two men with Peraton introduce themselves as crew from the Invictus Aeterna who received separate invites (owing to their nobility). These men are two members of the Reserve Club, Ensign Kale Uberstys, and Midshipman Calid Ulyle]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Montresor wrote:[she wouldn't recognise him.]
[That's the part I needed.]

Andrea bows to the two men. "My Lords. I did not realize that others from the Invictus were invited to this event. Are there yet others of whom we should be aware? The Lord-Captain would like to gather those of his crew who are present."

She continues to breathe deeply, secure in the knowledge that the cool airflow is safe from any noxious gasses.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:"My Lords. I did not realize that others from the Invictus were invited to this event. Are there yet others of whom we should be aware? The Lord-Captain would like to gather those of his crew who are present."
Peraton answers: 'Not that I am aware. These two gentlemen are friends of mine, and both are noble. Of course, you wouldn't find the riff-raff, like Zarkov, being invited to a function like this. Perhaps if Lord-Captain Amphael removed his mask, anyone else from the Invictus could see and approach him?'

[Shortly after this, Andrea and co. will arrive at Garrius's position]

Andrea Chan-Gauthier
Giantfriend

Andrea nods agreement. "Perhaps."

As they arrive back to the couches, she waits for a moment to speak to Garrius, "My Lord-Captain, may I present Lord, and Ensign, Kale Uberstys as well as Lord, and Midshipman, Calid Ulyle, both members of your crew. It seems that Lord Deltael has invited others from our ship outside of our group. I do not know if there are yet others of our people present. It might be helpful to remove your mask, my Lord, so that others may see you and gather here. Unless, of course, there is risk to yourself in doing so, though... I think the risk to your person is not dependent on your identity being secret, at this point."

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius took off his mask, rubbing a thin layer of sweat from his forehead with a silk handkerchief, which he then ties around his face. Placing aside his mask, he looks around the room, nodding to his crewmen as he does so. Continuing to look, he tries to note what other authority figures are doing about the place.

"Galen, I must admit this has caught me off guard. My own initial reaction would be to rush the guards, although what good this would do us I am not so sure. We appear to be well stuck. Only good news is whatever is going on here doesn't appear to be fast acting."

Garrius looked over Galen and his retinue.

"I appear to have several able bodied men of my crew here. Also, I am armed and am accompanied by a psycher. Between our two retinues we may stand a chance of rushing the man responsible for all this. I am unsure if that is a good idea however."
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Peraton rests his hand upon the sword at his side. 'As you order, Lord-Captain, I will obey. If it's to rush those sentries, then I'm not afraid'. Peraton's two friends nod silently in agreement.

Julient nods also, though less enthusiastically. 'My Lord-Captain, if you wish me to direct my powers against these sentries then I can. We will need to get close. But think on this - there are bound to be a few navigators and other psykers here, and I'd be certain that the man on the balcony has accounted for that'.

'What else are we to do?!' Peraton chides. 'Suffocate?'

'Worse, I'm sure,' Galen whispers. 'My retinue and I will be with you, Amphael. Who knows what other weapons these people are concealing, however? Maybe we should enlist more aid before a rush?'

[Scanning the crowd, Garrius and Andrea note Lady-Captain Moriah Heale drawing a knot of men and women to her. Some of retinue visibly force other revellers away from her, while Heale watches the thickening cloud overhead. Other groups appear to be forming around possible leaders, while small groups aggressively keep others away. But the cacaphony of the crowd is steadily rising. Heated arguments are rising, and small incidents of violence are occurring. All the while, both the figure on the balcony and Cyrus Deltael patienly watch. Inquisitor Stavram makes his way towards Deltael]

Garrius Amphael
<i>Elohim</i>

Garrius quickly assessed the worsening situation.

"Galen, tell me, what is your relationship with the other dignitary's here? Particularly Heale, Deltael and Stavram? I sense we would need to approach them before attempting anything ... rash. A combined effort would be far more effective than each of us going in half cocked."

Whilst speaking, Garrius could not help but wonder where Deltaels guard was. Had this man been betrayed by the entirety of his crew?

Return to “Rogue Trader”